As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hades] Supergiant Roguelite. Out now! (Switch/Steam/Epic)

• Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    So, the new Demeter/Dionysus duo boon is ridiculous.
    It turns Festive Fog into an instant cast on the enemy. It has a delay on the burst of damage but it's so short that it might as well be instant anyways.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Road BlockRoad Block Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Alright for the record. I know it's intimidating but Guan Yu spear is so much fun and quite viable with the buff. Got through a complete run with the level 2 spear. Definitely pays to lean into defensive buffs and weak. I think I'll be sticking with it as my spear of choice.

One thing to keep in mind that helped me a lot. You can dash attack and hold to dash into a charged attack. And you can dash out of the charge either to dodge or to get into range with the charged spin.

The buffed special is also quite handy. Deals nicely with the little mobs.

Road Block on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Ohhh, so you pick only one of the aspects to invest in not all of them? Is there a prophecy or anything for buying more? I think I’ve only purchased sword crit, shield defense, and spear-dash so far

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Each aspect can be leveled with Titan blood, and you can only have one selected at a time that you have atleast one level in if that answers your question.

There is a prophecy for unlocking every non Zag aspect. It gives 4 diamonds if I remember right. Which is decent but I wouldn't burn Titan blood for it.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I definitely agree that Hades is probably not actually the villain. Like, it is totally going to turn out that he does have good reasons but is just going about things badly.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Given the track record for Supergiant,
    there likely won't be a "real villain" so much as people who are hurt or damaged lashing out or failing to communicate, and if there is a more traditional villain they'll be pretty sympathetic (e.g. Demeter enraged about her daughter)

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    Picked this up yesterday, immediately adore the art style and character design and most of all the voice direction, it feels like every character is immediately particular and recognizable from their first line of dialogue and all I want to do is talk to them more.

Anyway, I’m not so big on run-based games but the combat feels pretty slick so far. I got owned on the introductory run but made it to the boss (Megaera, extremely cool voice acting) on my second run with the bow. Felt like I did zero damage to her despite landing a high volume of hits, not sure if that’s how boss battles are designed or if I’m meant to upgrade my gear a bit before I can be a credible threat to them.

Good game!

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It's less about gear and more about the Mirror of Night. On your first dozen or so runs I'd advise taking any doors that give you Darkness rewards. That's gonna be the asset that you retain between runs. I'd also recommend giving an ambrosia bottle to Cerberus to get his charm, which will let you start off with a bit more HP, making the early runs a bit lengthier. Nyx's charm is also a good one early on, since it lets your recover HP whenever you pick up Darkness.

As for the mirror itself, I recommend maxing out the perk that restores HP between rooms, extra dashes, and death defiance. None of those increase your damage output, but they'll help you push forward, which means more accumulated permanent resources (keys/ambrosia/darkness/gemstones).

• Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    It's less about gear and more about the Mirror of Night. On your first dozen or so runs I'd advise taking any doors that give you Darkness rewards. That's gonna be the asset that you retain between runs. I'd also recommend giving an ambrosia bottle to Cerberus to get his charm, which will let you start off with a bit more HP, making the early runs a bit lengthier. Nyx's charm is also a good one early on, since it lets your recover HP whenever you pick up Darkness.

As for the mirror itself, I recommend maxing out the perk that restores HP between rooms, extra dashes, and death defiance. None of those increase your damage output, but they'll help you push forward, which means more accumulated permanent resources (keys/ambrosia/darkness/gemstones).

This is all good advice. I'm fairly new as well, but I just got my first win. I'd recommend paying attention to the invincibility frame timing on the dash and what moves you can animation cancel into other moves for every weapon (usually using the dash), as that's key to both increased DPS and being less vulnerable to enemy attacks.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Other good choices for early game ambrosia-gifting:

Hypnos gives you an item that lets you start off with some extra cash
    Orpheus gives you an item that lets you deal extra damage to distant enemies, which is fantastic if Exagryph or Coronacht are the bonus-darkness weapons for a run
    Athena's got the standard deity charm, but it gives you a chance to start a run with Divine Dash, which deflects attacks while dashing

• Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    Skelly's gift is an additional death defiance, which is useful in the later levels.

• Options
    pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular

This was helpful, got the Cerberus charm and after a few more deaths to Meg, I managed to stack together a couple of Aphrodite buffs on my basic spear attack, which actually let me do damage to her and finally take her down (I really like that her death animation is the same as yours).

Made it maybe halfway through the next set of levels, eked out a 1 hp victory against armored bomb throwing guys, exhaled audibly, moved to the exit and stepped in lava. Life is pain, death is worse.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    Interesting interaction. I kind of neglected the defensive keepsakes that weren't the Broken Spearpoint before the nerf. I had a really rough run managing to lose all my Defiances by Styx so even though it was still level 1 I strapped on Skellys tooth. I managed to lose that but when it reached level 2 the Skelly Death Defiance was recharged.

I then proceeded to lose that to poison and die for real against Dad. Not a great run.

Road Block on
  • Options
    I have officially beaten helldad at 0 heat with every weapon. I'm starting to get to the point where I can reliably win even without good boons. The attack animations and the tells on his attacks are actually really good, the only thing you need to worry about is the DPS check of him summoning his adds.

Time to start increasing heat!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020

Orpheus gives you an item that lets you deal extra damage to distant enemies, which is fantastic if Exagryph or Coronacht are the bonus-darkness weapons for a run
    Athena's got the standard deity charm, but it gives you a chance to start a run with Divine Dash, which deflects attacks while dashing

You mean Necter, Ambrosia is different.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    So, can anyone tell me how to unlock new aspects, or the legendary keepsakes?

I've only beaten the game once so far, but have given meg 6 nectars, given 1 nectar to everyone that can take one, maxed out the mirror (except for the last 3...have the last one unlocked rank 2, the other two im still short about a dozen keys). still only have the three aspects per weapon.

• Options
    BTW, warning to newbies. An unlock from the contractor that is not really explained: It's a 3 diamond cost thing that just mentions adding infernal gates to the game, but they DONT tell you that every one of these gates has a minimum level of 5 heat before you can use them. I had just beaten the game once and have yet to duplicate the experience and i feel like i wasted 3 diamonds for something thats not going to be useful for a while. buying the other upgrades are probably better, like the keys also give an authority, or darkness gives +5 max life, etc. its an upgrade for later is my point.

• Options
    Beat the bone hydra on my first encounter (second trip to Asphodel). Was a bear thing, once I had him at about half health, there was so much shit popping off across the entire screen, I thought there was no way I’d ever be able to navigate it long enough to get the win, but the shield was clicking with me and protected me from bullet hell just long enough.

I’m getting the thing from this game that people talked up in dark souls but which I never found, that transition from “fuck, this seems impossible, I may never be able to beat this fight” to “I SEE THE LIGHT.”

• Options
    Beat the bone hydra on my first encounter (second trip to Asphodel). Was a bear thing, once I had him at about half health, there was so much shit popping off across the entire screen, I thought there was no way I’d ever be able to navigate it long enough to get the win, but the shield was clicking with me and protected me from bullet hell just long enough.

I’m getting the thing from this game that people talked up in dark souls but which I never found, that transition from “fuck, this seems impossible, I may never be able to beat this fight” to “I SEE THE LIGHT.”

I felt the same way as you about how impossible the game felt until about the 12-15 hour mark. Now I am a jumpy bouncy god of death with every weapon.

A lot of that has to do with some of the mirror upgrades, especially the early ones like death defiances. Having 3 extra lives makes the game so much easier.

• Options
    azith28 wrote: »

You mean Necter, Ambrosia is different.

Looks like one of the patches that dropped while I wasn't playing regularly changed this.

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

I felt the same way as you about how impossible the game felt until about the 12-15 hour mark. Now I am a jumpy bouncy god of death with every weapon.

A lot of that has to do with some of the mirror upgrades, especially the early ones like death defiances. Having 3 extra lives makes the game so much easier.

There's also a big realization that comes like, 5 hours in where you realize that stillness means death, and you just have to keep dodging and moving as much as you possibly can. Then you eventually get good enough at identifying traps that you can combine endless movement with rarely hitting traps and suddenly everything clicks into place.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Man in the MistsMan in the Mists Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote: »

There's also a big realization that comes like, 5 hours in where you realize that stillness means death, and you just have to keep dodging and moving as much as you possibly can. Then you eventually get good enough at identifying traps that you can combine endless movement with rarely hitting traps and suddenly everything clicks into place.

Bonus points if you learn the local traps well enough to make the enemies get hit by them. Some of them do crazy damage and can even one-shot otherwise annoying enemies.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Sooo... I kinda fell down a Hades hole. I got this for my birthday earlier this month and now the minimum heat I have on any weapon is 6, while I just finished a 12 heat run on the shield.

Pretty sure I’ve clocked 100 hours.

Game is real good.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Yeah I'm at 103 hours which is nucking futs.

• Options
    chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    I finally got my first win and am a little confused what to do now. Do I want to beat the game once with each weapon before using the heat gauge, and then beat it with each weapon on heat gauge 1, then 2, and so on?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I’ve just been going with whichever weapon gives me the darkness bonus and ramping up the heat as I go

But yeah, you’ll want to beat it without heat with every weapon and then you’ll get new bounties when you fill up the heat gauge

So 1, 2, etc. for each weapon

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is the game supposed to just drop you in without telling you what the icons on the doors mean

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Game is definitely learn-as-you-go.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
  • Options
    About a month ago I was sure I would never beat Hades, and lost the will to keep trying. Now in the last few days I've gotten 3 wins on my last 4 runs! Feels good! Got shield and bow left to go, and then on to messing with the heat gauge.

• Options
    Yeah once you get a win something clicks and you get a bunch

• Options
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    The fact that this thread is only five pages long is an affont to all that is good and righteous in the world.

My PC-playin' podcast buddy was talking up Hades early access all last year, so I bit on it once I upgraded my PC and look, I'm really looking forward to Doom Eternal and Dying Light 2 and TLoU 2 and Ghost of Tsushima and Cyberpunk 2077 but it is entirely possible that once I've put each of those to bed I'll still be playing Hades.

It is, by a huge margin, the best thing Supergiant's ever done. And Supergiant made fucking Bastion.

Hades is awesome and if you haven't tried this Early Access, lemmie tell ya - ya gotta!

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    It is 100% my favorite early access game ever

There's so much game here, even without a true ending

• Options
    edited March 2020
    I can't say it's usurped Darkest Dungeon but it's definitely threatening the lead.

Chance on
  • Options
    That game is so relentlessly bleak, which don't get me wrong, I love bleakness

But everything about Hades is fun, and Darkest Dungeon has so much "lol you are dead now because of a bad die roll" that it can't be #1 for me

• Options
    It is 100% my favorite early access game ever

There's so much game here, even without a true ending

I think I'm with you on this one, which is hard to say considering how much I adored Dead Cells through early access.

• Options
    They finally added the administrative room unlock, for 3 diamonds you can look at your run history, which includes how/if you died, all the boons you had when you escaped, and what conditions you did it under (heat, mirror use, etc.)

Also the mirror now has alternate choices for every benefit, some of them are much better, others I can’t really get behind

One of them allows a death defiance once per chamber, which seems neat except I don’t think I’ve ever needed death defiance outside extreme situations where I’ll likely need it more than once

• Options
    Anyway gonna try a run with the new weapon, looks like a very different playstyle focused around offense

• Options
    I'm super-hyped to try it and kinda' sad that it's Tuesday 'cause 90% of my gaming time tonight is going to be sucked up by my brother and Overwatch. I love Overwatch and my brother, but... but... but...

• Options
    So uh, the fists are amazing feeling. Though I think they're gonna tone down the attack speed on them because you can do some ridiculous stuff.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar