As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Record Holder

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited January 2020 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Record Holder

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    I love that tye-dye in panel 2

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    "Is this what your Midlife Crisis looks like"

"No, this is the full Angel Dust album. THIS is the Midlife Crisis single."

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • kurai01kurai01 Registered User new member
    AND. Record collection AND a Tesla.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Record player IN a Tesla.

See if the autopilot can keep it steady.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    A vinyl Tesla

the road just feels warmer

• flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    The album on top of the stack is Bookends by Simon & Garfunkel, AKA every bookish college student's first record.

y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    My nieces got records for Christmas this year, they are 7 and 11, and they went nuts for them. So I guess records are back now?

H9f4bVe.png
  • hibryd7hibryd7 Registered User regular
    I work at Amazon and we ship out vinyls aaall the friggin time, you'd really be surprised. Out of the hundreds of records I've seen, the only album I've ever seen on vinyl and actually wanted to know what it sounded like on said format is In The Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel.

• PohtHehdPohtHehd Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Grr. Fine. But no more tricks. Haha, just jokin'.

PohtHehd on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Thank you

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    The keto spam has got really involved recently

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Well, we were all thinking it.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Once, when I was a young boy, I was interested in the weirdness of the Beatles more psychedelic phase. My father gestured to the bookshelves filled with records and said, "Magical Mystery Tour is in there some place. You find it and I'll plumb up the record player."

Thus began an all day organization/search event with me marveling at all the crap my parents had been carting around over the years and my parents arguing alternatively who owned a particular album or who was "never a fan" of that album so it must be the other's fault for existing in their collection. Eventually Magical Mystery Tour was found hiding behind Kilroy Was Here by Styx.

When we opened the record jacket a copy of Love Gun by Kiss fell out

And that is my record story

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • KredKred Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    My nieces got records for Christmas this year, they are 7 and 11, and they went nuts for them. So I guess records are back now?

In 2019 vinyl and CD sales were neck and neck. Most likely this year vinyl will outsell CDs. I have a fairly big record store in my town, CD section is about 25% of the store, the rest is vinyl. On record store day (it's a nationwide thing, look it up) the line to get in is around the block and takes about an hour to reach the store.

Digital/streaming is still huge of course, but vinyl is most definitely back.

The one thing I'd like on vinyl is the BBC collection of Discworld radio adaptations

So far I have avoided the temptation, but if Steeleye Span made their Wintersmith album available in vinyl I'd be price comparing record players

Kred wrote: »
    Golden Yak wrote: »

In 2019 vinyl and CD sales were neck and neck. Most likely this year vinyl will outsell CDs. I have a fairly big record store in my town, CD section is about 25% of the store, the rest is vinyl. On record store day (it's a nationwide thing, look it up) the line to get in is around the block and takes about an hour to reach the store.

Digital/streaming is still huge of course, but vinyl is most definitely back.

I guess it depends on "back". I mean, there's this from just a couple of years ago:

rtvuk4nf7uzp.png

I think it's just that looking at CDs is really kind of besides the point. CDs are just digital music, and the platform has changed. Vinyl is increasing, but it's still just crumbs.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    It's important that we keep vinyl alive to some degree. If we didn't, we run the risk of the younger generation not knowing the true origin of that record-scratch sound that we still use sometimes in tv and movies. ;)

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    I think it's just that looking at CDs is really kind of besides the point. CDs are just digital music, and the platform has changed. Vinyl is increasing, but it's still just crumbs.
    Yeah, I think the real story is that physical media is dying, but what little there is getting purchased, is getting an uptick in what's seen as the superior format.

sig.gif
    Problem with that chart is it's only new sales, so the secondary market is ignored. Makes it look like vinyl was dead and buried for 20+ years which is not true.

People who care about sound quality, and physical media, are a niche market for sure. But a niche market that for the first time in quite a while is seeing some real growth. While digital is stagnant.

The streaming thing should really be broken out separately, as it's largely ad supported.

Kred wrote: »
    Problem with that chart is it's only new sales, so the secondary market is ignored. Makes it look like vinyl was dead and buried for 20+ years which is not true.

People who care about sound quality, and physical media, are a niche market for sure. But a niche market that for the first time in quite a while is seeing some real growth. While digital is stagnant.

The streaming thing should really be broken out separately, as it's largely ad supported.

Yeah, but at some point, you have to question whether it matters that Person A sells an album to Person B, then Person B to C, etc. until it's changed hands 10 times. I mean, is that really "growth"?

dennis wrote: »
    Yeah, but at some point, you have to question whether it matters that Person A sells an album to Person B, then Person B to C, etc. until it's changed hands 10 times. I mean, is that really "growth"?

It's part of it, yes.

Growth in the used market resulted in more people asking where they could buy new releases on vinyl. And for a while the answer, for most albums, was "nowhere". Then more and more artists found out about this demand and you started to see them doing small runs and selling through their website. Then the big distributors saw there was demand and started making records again. Now every new release is in stores on vinyl on release day. Hell, even Barnes & freakingNoble has converted their music department to 90% vinyl. And even more shocking their prices are ok.

That all happened because of demand that started in the used market. And the second hand stores have benefited too, as people seeing new releases on vinyl start to get into it and begin shopping in the used stores for older stuff.

The question is how far does this go? I feel like this year it will hit critical mass and either fizzle, or turn into something really big. We'll see.

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    The rising number of people streaming over downloading digital content is surprising though. like... we're just throwing away even the slightest notion of unrestricted access to content... though the ecosystem silos doesn't help much there.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    The rising number of people streaming over downloading digital content is surprising though. like... we're just throwing away even the slightest notion of unrestricted access to content... though the ecosystem silos doesn't help much there.

I'd say it's more related to cost and convenience. Buying downloads of all the songs one listens to via streaming can quickly add up and time taken to prune what one keeps on disk when storage space runs low can also add up. The benefits of less restricted access to content isn't enough to justify the price increase over a streaming service to just temporarily have access, especially when many people aren't paying any money and the share of revenue they contribute is just from listening to ads. It's really hard to compete with a convenient method of media consumption that costs zero dollars.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    And really, is it that wrong to use streaming services when they might introduce you to a bunch of music that you might not have otherwise bought? While I feel like owning your music is a good thing, it definitely comes with a downside (if that's the primary way you consume it). I feel like most people never had a massive music collection apart from those who pirated mp3s like crazy in the golden era.

• MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    Nowadays I've reverted back to listening to a lot of 80s music, so I'm not getting introduced to much "new" music. I'm still not really on board with streaming as my sole means of listening to music (or watching tv/movies). This is especially true for any streaming service that involves any kind of fee. I just don't love listening to music enough to pay a monthly fee for the sake of variety. I have my meager collection that was ripped from CDs (which I bought) to my old iPod Nano and I have the iHeartRadio app on my phone. That's really all I've needed for music.

As for things to watch with my eyes, I only very recently entered the streaming world when I subbed to Disney+ so I could check out The Mandalorian. I'll probably keep that around for a while since I'm currently watching the Clone Wars series, then I'll probably revisit some of the stuff I remember fondly from the past, and eventually some of the Marvel shows will be released for me to watch. However, I still fully intend to buy blu-rays of future Star Wars and MCU movies even though those properties are on Disney+. I've been buying them up until now, I want to keep my true collection going, I can afford it, and I seriously doubt that I'll be a subscriber to Disney+ for the rest of my life.

Yes, physical media can go bad, but I've been buying DVDs and Blu-Rays for a really long time and I haven't had any die on me yet. I'll continue to pick them up if they continue to be available. If I give in and get Netflix or something like that someday, then perhaps there will be some movies I won't bother to buy, but it won't be anything from any of the major franchises.

"It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe

I'd say it's more related to cost and convenience. Buying downloads of all the songs one listens to via streaming can quickly add up and time taken to prune what one keeps on disk when storage space runs low can also add up. The benefits of less restricted access to content isn't enough to justify the price increase over a streaming service to just temporarily have access, especially when many people aren't paying any money and the share of revenue they contribute is just from listening to ads. It's really hard to compete with a convenient method of media consumption that costs zero dollars.

Yep

I had a hankering to listen to some more Taylor Swift on Friday

I could just fire up my Amazon Music account and download a playlist for free

I might not own it, but I don't own the broadcast TV that I watch either

For the moving pictures, I find that for me it's just meaningless to collect things. At one time I did, though I didn't go as far as some friends with shelves of DVDs. The issue I find now is that there's just so much TV/movies that I always want to see, and never enough time. That has a lot to do with having young kids, but also having the internet. I barely use my TV, but not because I'm a hipster so much as when I do watch something, it's more likely to be on my computer: a guy in the Australian rainforest who experiments with primitive technology; a guy who eats MREs, old and new; a woman who works in a museum; a couple of board game review channels; movie trailers that are honest; streams of people playing video games or D&D. That's just scratching the surface. I save movies for the infrequent nights when my wife and I can get away from the kids. And all the fantastic TV series? Forget about it. I just have to think "I'll eventually binge it when it's done." Probably best if I don't, honestly.

• panzorforkpanzorfork Registered User new member
    the middle panel of this strip f*****ng slaps!