As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Destiny 2] Now Witness the Firepower of this Fully Armed and Operational Warmind!

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Pretty sure IB is connection-speed-only matchmaking, not skill-based. Unless it's wildly horked that game would indicate there is not SBMM. I think the only SBMM is in Comp, and then I think only in regular Comp, not solo-queue.
    I was under the impression normal Control was SBMM and to avoid it you need to go to Classic Mix.

And that performance is nowhere near my normal, it's just that Bastion was crushing people. I am not Jay :).

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Everything is SBMM except classic mix, you can see it when you hover over the descriptions of the playlists. Classic mix is a really weird beast at this point because you would think connection based matchmaking would vary the skill level more but it feels to me like half games where everyone's pretty average and I do well and half games where I'm matched up against a six-stack of people farming K/D and it fucking sucks (you can check LFG sites, forming farm stacks is a real thing assholes do). Sometimes I like rolling those dice, sometimes not!

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular
    Yeah, the by product of Classic Mix being the only connection-based playlist means everyone who doesn't want to deal with SBMM all the time gravitates there. As the population naturally goes down over the course of a season/expansion, you find that it's heavily concentrated with the same exact people you'd want to avoid in SBMM. If they switch to SBMM playlists, generally the queue times are pretty crazy. I've sat in a control queue for three minutes before - it only gets worse from there. The shit kicker on top of this is because SBMM is the only factor, you face people of wildly different geographical areas in a peer to peer game. Imagine the people are good AND your connections to each other are creating wonky situations. Now get the impression that Bungie wants you to experience this every match. It sucks.

SBMM shouldn't go away, but they do need to re evaluate just what the hell they're trying to accomplish. Most of the die hards are being driven away.

• ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    Don’t log in, the new patch is deleting glimmer, infusion mats, consumables, nearly everything in the inventory tab.

They’re talking about taking the servers down to fix this, and I wouldn’t be surprised by a rollback if it’s bad enough.

I wonder why the last few patches have been so buggy.

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    ronzo wrote: »
    Don’t log in, the new patch is deleting glimmer, infusion mats, consumables, nearly everything in the inventory tab.

They’re talking about taking the servers down to fix this, and I wouldn’t be surprised by a rollback if it’s bad enough.

I wonder why the last few patches have been so buggy.

They have the B team working on maintaining Destiny 2 until the A team is ready to announce their next project?

• awsimoawsimo a perfectly cromulent human; definitely not a robot Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Peen wrote: »
    Everything is SBMM except classic mix, you can see it when you hover over the descriptions of the playlists. Classic mix is a really weird beast at this point because you would think connection based matchmaking would vary the skill level more but it feels to me like half games where everyone's pretty average and I do well and half games where I'm matched up against a six-stack of people farming K/D and it fucking sucks (you can check LFG sites, forming farm stacks is a real thing assholes do). Sometimes I like rolling those dice, sometimes not!

So...wait. Please explain to the old person. People are grouping up just to party-stomp solo queuers and increase their K/D? Why?? It has no effect on the game and only serves to increase a number that appears on the bottom right of a handful of emblems.

Why do

awsimo on
    awsimo wrote: »

So...wait. Please explain to the old person. People are grouping up just to party-stomp solo queuers and increase their K/D? Why?? It has no effect on the game and only serves to increase a number that appears on the bottom right of a handful of emblems.

Why do

they want to keep playing destiny pvp and there are no reward incentives to push them in another direction. so, they stat farm

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    awsimo wrote: »

Why do

Part of it is the emblems that show off streaks of wins in Valor/Glory and KDA, and other half is boredom/lack of meaningful PvP rewards for the hardcore

Local H Jay on
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Time to see what their rollback procedures look like, I suppose.
    I didn't even realize a patch was going in today, so item data/currency changes seem weird? Poor team getting punched in the face is never fun.

Vladimer wrote: »
    Yeah, the by product of Classic Mix being the only connection-based playlist means everyone who doesn't want to deal with SBMM all the time gravitates there. As the population naturally goes down over the course of a season/expansion, you find that it's heavily concentrated with the same exact people you'd want to avoid in SBMM. If they switch to SBMM playlists, generally the queue times are pretty crazy. I've sat in a control queue for three minutes before - it only gets worse from there. The shit kicker on top of this is because SBMM is the only factor, you face people of wildly different geographical areas in a peer to peer game. Imagine the people are good AND your connections to each other are creating wonky situations. Now get the impression that Bungie wants you to experience this every match. It sucks.

SBMM shouldn't go away, but they do need to re evaluate just what the hell they're trying to accomplish. Most of the die hards are being driven away.

I hear this kind of thing and I wonder if it's just a PC issue or what but I still get into matches on the Xbox pretty quickly, no matter which playlist I select. Granted my skill tier isn't diamond plus or something but I'm pretty comfortably in the top third and I don't have an issue with finding games.

edited January 2020
    It might just be a PC thing - that's my platform. The pop is still lower I'd wager.

Vladimer on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Last time I checked, average daily PvP populations were something like:

PC: 150k
    PS4: 220K
    XBox: 100K
    Stadia: 68.

• VagabondVagabond Sans Gravitas Glimmer Mafia DonRegistered User regular
    metaghost wrote: »
    Last time I checked, average daily PvP populations were something like:

PC: 150k
    PS4: 220K
    XBox: 100K
    Stadia: 68.

So 100% participation from the Stadia install base?

vq2TEKC.png
    XBL: Sans Gravitas, Steam, Destiny, Twitch
    Destiny Raid Groups: Team NATBurn, Team Fourth Meal (Disbanded)
    Keep in mind, region and time of day can greatly affect queue times

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Queue times are acceptable for me, if not amazing, for PS4, but damnit.....

It feels like it's taking longer and longer between when it goes 12/12 and my ship takes off and for the match to finally start.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    There's a glitch where the map takes forever to load, usually because people are trying to load things in the inventory which seems to cause everyone to hang. It could also be that I've got a SSD now and I'm just seeing how long it takes for everyone else to load in.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited January 2020
    As a avowed stacker, I hope they keep sbmm in control forever. I know some people hate, but it made the classic mix list much more interesting. You still run into people in blue gear who don’t know what a zone is, but many more games are high skill on all sides, and pretty sweaty. SBMM games can still be just as close, but they still feel overall pretty sloppy, as you have 3 people on each side who know what they’re doing, and the rest run by uncapped zones to die to a sniper lane for 4th time. And wins are just sweeter when you start recognizing the names of people you’re playing against as you’re flying in.

Also, what Jay said about steak emblems.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    I just picked this up on Xbox. Any tips for someone entirely new to Destiny? The tutorial seems...sparse is putting it politely. I have no effing clue what I'm supposed to be doing.

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Heffling wrote: »
    I just picked this up on Xbox. Any tips for someone entirely new to Destiny? The tutorial seems...sparse is putting it politely. I have no effing clue what I'm supposed to be doing.

A good starting point would be to go and play through the original campaign missions for the game, and then the two expansions from year one.

Stop by shipwright Amanda Holiday in the Tower, she has access to the starting missions for those. She should have a ship icon on the map there, I think. The order you want to tackle what she has would be The Red War, followed by Curse of Osiris, and finally Warmind.

That should take you through most of the locations in the game and introduce you to a lot of the characters.

edited January 2020
    I mean, I've definitely hit those queue times on a random night before. Not playing at like 4AM. I'm comfortably in the top third, as well. Just relaying something I've directly experienced.

Vladimer on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Heffling wrote: »

A good starting point would be to go and play through the original campaign missions for the game, and then the two expansions from year one.

Stop by shipwright Amanda Holiday in the Tower, she has access to the starting missions for those. She should have a ship icon on the map there, I think. The order you want to tackle what she has would be The Red War, followed by Curse of Osiris, and finally Warmind.

That should take you through most of the locations in the game and introduce you to a lot of the characters.

Those original campaigns can also help familiarize you with the armor and weapons side of things in specific. I figured out a lot of my favorite weapon types about halfway through the Red War (i.e. first) campaign.

Depending on what you're looking for, it can also help to sort of . . . explore the planets after the Red War, the first 4 planets, and then explore Mercury during/after Osiris (it's not that big), and Mars for Warmind. The open world-ish nature of each planet and the various activities you can unlock on those planets via the New Light stuff that is visiting the planet's main NPC and finishing their "Discovering [planet name here]" quests I think adds a lot to the overall play of the game, specifically the adventures.

Basically, I'd do it in this order: Red War > Discover EDZ, Titan, Nessus, Io > Curse of Osiris > Discover Mercury >Warmind > Discover Mars.

After that it's kind of up to you what to do. If that content really hits for you, you could do any adventures, Lost Sectors (marked most commonly by two arches over each other with a dot in the center), region chests, public events on the maps, various quests for items, bounties (basically like daily/weekly quests in MMOGs), etc. Try a Strike or two? Then if all that is awesome and you're still needing more, either try to get a raid group together or pick up Forsaken and/or Shadowkeep. By this point you'll probably know what you gravitate more towards, and what kinda bores you, and while the game at times expects you to play all modes and do "all the things" to get the best stuff to get everything, you can also just focus on what you enjoy.

Just note, once the campaigns are done, you can't replay through them except on a new character. There is apparently a "campaign playlist" that acts like a rotating greatest hits album of individual campaign missions, but it's not like they're "the whole campaign over again" so if that's the main/only draw you might be disappointed.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    vq2TEKC.png
    Hopefully nobody got their Not Forgotten done today lol

This is the first time they’ve ever rolled back, right?

Maybe now they’ll actually QA the patches/updates a bit more.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod

I did one SotP raid to get fallen mods, and finished it because it doesn’t make to quit on people. One guy got his anarchy.

I didn’t get any mods, so I appreciate that I get a do-over.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    Elki wrote: »

I did one SotP raid to get fallen mods, and finished it because it doesn’t make to quit on people. One guy got his anarchy.

I didn’t get any mods, so I appreciate that I get a do-over.

giphy.gif

vq2TEKC.png
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of playing Iron Banner last night at low light and today every cup of tea I've had tastes disgusting.
    Not saying these two things are related, but I'm definitely considering it.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Oh hey the last Unveiling entry came out.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Vagabond wrote: »
    Heh, sometimes it pays to be 'too busy' to play. I think I might have done a couple of nightfall strikes to edge closer to that million point boundary but nothing was gained (or lost) here.

26904.png
    Man, grinding these kills for Luna's is painful now that A) its 3v3 and B) you can't pull Clash as a game mode in competitive anymore.

150 hand cannon kills, but the most kills anyone can get is 32, and on top of that the power of the OHKO's is increased vs the old 4v4 modes.

• DisrupterDisrupter Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    So data miners have “confirmed” what we all suspected
    empyrean foundation leads to us restoring the lighthouse and bringing back trials

I’m super curious how they plan to integrate trials and comp in one game. Not sure it’s possible but we will see

Disrupter on
    616610-1.png
  • OpposingFarceOpposingFarce Registered User regular
    Since they fixed hard light's screen shakes its actually pretty good with catalyst.

Tried it out with actium war rig and its pretty fun.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    what the fuck

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/destiny2
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48663

We're getting Twitch Prime loot. First drop is a SUROS Regime, the Coup de Main ornament, a Skyline Flipside ghost shell, and the ship unsecured/OUTCRY

Crippl3 on
    It's nuts watching the best people on PC play PvP, they're genuinely not playing the same game I am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxF1pgSBsyE

• Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk7aRbG8gKI
    This is amazing.
    Getting a real 2006 era DICE vibe off Bungle lately.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    what the fuck

https://twitch.amazon.com/prime/loot/destiny2
    https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/48663

We're getting Twitch Prime loot. First drop is a SUROS Regime, the Coup de Main ornament, a Skyline Flipside ghost shell, and the ship unsecured/OUTCRY

Meh, got two out of the four there already. The jumpship's tempting though.

Reddit has a post with all of the datamined twitch prime reward. Link in the spoiler:

• CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    I'm old. Can someone explain what a Twitch Prime is? Based on clicking the link I apparently have it as an Amazon Prime subscriber, I guess, but I'm only vaguely aware of Twitch as "one of those things where people I don't care about play video games and then other people watch them do it in much the same way that people watch others play sports, but I don't watch that either and I actually can't play sports myself". Given that I apparently have whatever Twitch Prime is, can I just claim the rewards or do I need to actually watch Twitch streams or something?

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • NosfNosf Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Do you have Amazon Prime? If you do, then yes you have Twitch prime, which is just Twitch but sorta paid for. That's how i have Twitch Prime, which I never use, aside from sometimes clicking it to get free things in games I like. I too subscribe to the theory of, "I ain't watching some doofus play a game that I can play myself."

You just go to twitch.tv sign in and look for the little crown icon (i think) in the top right and click that. Then look at the various doodads they have and click the Destiny 2 one and follow along. It will link accounts, which some might find creepy. I tend not to give a shit. Sometimes you have to watch a stream, or I should say you can watch a stream for rewards. Warframe does that sometimes. I set the stream to the lowest res (hello 160p, you blob of pixels!) and mute it and then minimize it and it just goes by itself and I collect some rewards a bit later.

Nosf on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    If you have Twitch prime you have one free subscription you can apply to anyone every month so if you know of a streamer or two that should get paid (I prefer small ones or games done quick, for example) then apply it to them every month.