As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blizzard to restore Classics: Diablo 2 Resurrected September 23rd!

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    Maybe they'll pull a Modern Warfare Remasterered and include it in the collectors edition of D4.

EDIT: also if Starcraft was remastered while Warcraft was "reforged", what would a Diablo 2 remaster be subtitled?

Re-helled.

The Zombie Penguin on
    Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Repossessed.

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    I think we'll see a StarCraft 3 some day, maybe even the next thing they start development on after OW2 and D4 are both done. That would put the release of the game probably 8+ years after LotV came out. SC2 already feels like ancient history honestly.

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Maybe they'll pull a Modern Warfare Remasterered and include it in the collectors edition of D4.

EDIT: also if Starcraft was remastered while Warcraft was "reforged", what would a Diablo 2 remaster be subtitled?

Redeviled

steam_sig.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

refried

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Born again.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    RTS is fundamentally a genre about snowballing. Everything you do is to secure a production advantage with which you can overwhelm your opponent later. Catch-up mechanics would undermine that, which means that pretty much every game is going to end with the losing player falling more and more hopelessly behind. Conceding the game is simply necessary for a game like that.

Or you can be like me and win a SoaSE game purely by making your opponents slog through every single one of your systems while you build endless defenses even though they serve no purpose other than to delay the inevitable.

Nothing like winning via sheer exhaustion :P

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Blizzard has like 6 development teams that all run concurrently.

We know what pretty much all of them are working on now except for "Team 1" which is their RTS team. We don't know what they're doing. Also Dustin Browder recently left and he was the team lead for Team 1.

• Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    So I've read some of the articles and the like about Reforged, but I don't really know where the assumption that they really pared back their efforts on it come from, other than them deciding not to go through with all the WoW lore alignment stuff. Is there something else I missed or is it mostly based on that?

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I was kinda hoping we would get another race, maybe dranei, since the lore is there to flesh them out in W3.

Also a couple more units per race or heroes. Although to be fair I don't really care so much about balance, so I'm prob the minority here.

It was always going to be a remaster, not an expansion. The classics team is willing to balance patch the game etc but they don't generate new content.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So I've read some of the articles and the like about Reforged, but I don't really know where the assumption that they really pared back their efforts on it come from, other than them deciding not to go through with all the WoW lore alignment stuff. Is there something else I missed or is it mostly based on that?

That were also going to redo the cinematics, but now they're not. There's a comparison video between the trailer from last year and the original cinematic and it's like night and day.
    It was always going to be a remaster, not an expansion. The classics team is willing to balance patch the game etc but they don't generate new content.

Except the game was announced last year as having a modified campaign, and now it won't.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »

We know what pretty much all of them are working on now except for "Team 1" which is their RTS team. We don't know what they're doing. Also Dustin Browder recently left and he was the team lead for Team 1.

What are the rest working on?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »

What are the rest working on?

WoW is working on 8.30 and Shadowlands
    Overwatch team is working on Overwatch 2
    Classics team is working on Reforged and presumably an unannounced future restoration project
    Hearthstone is working on the Battlegrounds feature and the final expansion pack of the year
    Diablo team is working on D4

Literally the only team with no announced projects is "Team 1" (the RTS team). They are the only team for which we have no idea what they're doing. Except that Dustin Browder recently left :bigfrown:

• CyrenicCyrenic Registered User regular
    edited November 2019

That were also going to redo the cinematics, but now they're not. There's a comparison video between the trailer from last year and the original cinematic and it's like night and day.

Except the game was announced last year as having a modified campaign, and now it won't.

I'm worried about the general lack of information and enthusiasm coming from Blizzard for the Warcraft 3 remaster. The game's supposed to come out in the next 7 weeks, and they still haven't announced a release date. Ladder isn't supposed to be in at launch, either (just hidden MMR at first).

This new version of Warcraft 3 was one my biggest anticipated releases of the year, but now I'm getting bad vibes about it. I'm glad I held off on pre-ordering, and I hope the final product is better supported than I'm thinking it will be.

Cyrenic on
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    WoW is working on 8.30 and Shadowlands
    Overwatch team is working on Overwatch 2
    Classics team is working on Reforged and presumably an unannounced future restoration project
    Hearthstone is working on the Battlegrounds feature and the final expansion pack of the year
    Diablo team is working on D4

I don't think the same team is working on Reforged as worked on Remastered. At least, not wholesale.

On Artosis' show, The Pylon Show, he did an interview with Grant Davies from the Remastered dev team, and Grant mentioned a couple of times that the team working on Reforged had been coming to his guys and asking them questions about challenges they'd encountered working on SCR and how to apply those lessons to WCR.

It's obviously possible that most of the team was moved over and it was just a few guys that weren't, and if we have Blizzard devs on record as saying that's what's being done, then fair, but if not then it's just a presumption that the community has collectively made, and while the SCR team moving on to WCR is a relatively logical presumption to make, it's also not necessarily that simple.

I think there is just one "Classics Team" just based on my understanding of various posts and what not. Obviously I might be wrong. But I think they just spread their talent thin. The classics team was also responsible for WoW Classic at the same time they've been working on WC3 Reforged and whatever else.

We also know that they move resources around as needed to finish projects. It's possible that "Team 1" isn't working on anything at the moment if they all got moved to help out on other projects on other teams.

Custom games have just been added to the multiplayer beta: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/1-32-0-4-beta-notes/11362

They might be a little buggy.
    Howdy Friends,

The time for custom games in Reforged Beta has arrived. There will be bugs. Custom games are a complicated marriage of your creativity and the engine’s cantankerous habit of rejecting that which does not please it. So, say it with me now, “There will be bugs.”

We’ve put great energies into addressing crashes, desyncs, and conditions that destroy gameplay, but there are millions of maps that have utilized triggers in billions of ways. Can I get a, “There will be bugs”?

The purpose of the beta is to speed the process of getting this game ready, and we appreciate everyone who is gutting this out with us. We expect this first deploy to expose a lot of good data. Data that will direct our efforts toward the preservation of this game’s great history - and bright future. At the risk of being redundant, there will be…

SPECIFIC CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS

Custom games
    Replays
    Full map pools
    KNOWN ISSUES
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/beta-known-issues-list/ 566

UPCOMING
    We’re starting custom games on a Monday morning to give us the optimal amount of time to find and fix problems. We expect to patch aggressively.

Note you should have instant beta access even if you pre-order now, just go to Warcraft 3 in the launcher and open the Region/Account menu to find it.

• StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Hold on a second...

Warcraft III Reforged multiplayer beta?! And this is live... now??

Does it support internet play or is local only? Could I, for example, play a game with/against my friends in California?

26904.png
  • EnigmedicEnigmedic Registered User regular
    yes, its been online multiplayer for a while

Today's patch size seems fishy to me. In a good way. I'm assuming we'll start seeing a ton of new datamined info in the next day or two.

15gb to add custom games seems... off. Especially considering all of the races are already in the beta at this point, plus all of the default maps. There's no way custom games on their own would be 15gb unless they were also distributing a lot of other game assets.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Wowhead does regular datamining, it does seem to be a lot of new models coming in the latest update

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So did night elves get a new Sylvanas-like hero, or has my memory completely failed me?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dark Ranger is a neutral hero. They were introduced in TFT.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Played some tower defence games...that’s all I really wanted from the remaster. I still play classic 3 on the work laptop.

Do old maps work or do they need to be remade?

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    Custom games have just been added to the multiplayer beta: https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/1-32-0-4-beta-notes/11362

They might be a little buggy.
    Howdy Friends,

The time for custom games in Reforged Beta has arrived. There will be bugs. Custom games are a complicated marriage of your creativity and the engine’s cantankerous habit of rejecting that which does not please it. So, say it with me now, “There will be bugs.”

We’ve put great energies into addressing crashes, desyncs, and conditions that destroy gameplay, but there are millions of maps that have utilized triggers in billions of ways. Can I get a, “There will be bugs”?

The purpose of the beta is to speed the process of getting this game ready, and we appreciate everyone who is gutting this out with us. We expect this first deploy to expose a lot of good data. Data that will direct our efforts toward the preservation of this game’s great history - and bright future. At the risk of being redundant, there will be…

SPECIFIC CHANGES & IMPROVEMENTS

Custom games
    Replays
    Full map pools
    KNOWN ISSUES
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/warcraft3/t/beta-known-issues-list/ 566

UPCOMING
    We’re starting custom games on a Monday morning to give us the optimal amount of time to find and fix problems. We expect to patch aggressively.

Note you should have instant beta access even if you pre-order now, just go to Warcraft 3 in the launcher and open the Region/Account menu to find it.

Are they redoing the custom game blizz themself included in the game? The gauntlet like game? Cause that was my jam.

And I can preorder now and play? I may have to look into this.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    So is there a DOTA reforged yet?

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    What about Protect the Guy? That’s some of my favorite gaming memories of all time.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    Dark Ranger is a neutral hero. They were introduced in TFT.

Aha! That makes sense. I stopped throwing my head against mp when TFT releases so makes sense I don’t remember her. Thanks!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So did night elves get a new Sylvanas-like hero, or has my memory completely failed me?

In totality, there are actually three functional heroes that all use the same model (with a few color variations, if that) in WC3: high elf ranger hero, night elf ranger hero, and the dark ranger. I'm pretty sure only the last one became a mainstay of the multiplayer scene, but the editor has data for all three.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    So, despite getting a refund, Blizzard just sent me an e-mail thanking me for my pre-purchase of War3 Reforged and telling me the game is out on the 28th of January. So if anyone was curious about the release date, there you go.

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I got that email too and it reminded me to do the refund. Which was a pretty painless process if anyone was wondering.

• urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    End of January works for me, honestly. Lots of games came out the past few months and I need to play them.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    well, that is dogshit

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I want to say that no such restrictions have occurred with Starcraft remastered, at least I'm 99% sure I see DBZ maps and shit whenever I'm on there. I'm skeptical they will crack down on this in Reforged.

Also the copyright bit is actually pretty ancient and was the cause of the DOTA lawsuit, and all that got upheld was that Valve couldn't actually spell out what the DOTA acronym was.

I'm not saying their user agreement isn't hella silly, it's just not new.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Aw DBZ maps were the best!

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    It kind of reeks of "If you were to make the next DOTA in our tools, we are legally allowed to steal the idea"

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    I mean, that's exactly what it is. They got burned so bad by that the first time around, they're not going to just let it happen again.

website_header.jpg
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    At first I was a bit confused at the whole, “No copyright material allowed” as it had already been established in court years and years ago now that Publishers and Devs are not legally responsible for the shit players make.

However, if you add in the other part where Blizz says they own everything players might make then things become clear. If they own everything players make then yeah that’d probably open them up to copyright litigation if they allowed that stuff to be available.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.