As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Chicken trigonometry soup is a motherfucker to make, and then 98 percent of people don’t eat it, why do we have this in schools.

I can't believe you'd go off on such a wild tangent about this. It's as if you didn't see that all the sines were pointing toward it being delicious! You'd eat the whole thing in 10 secents!

You have slain me with your math puns.

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    Chicken trigonometry soup is a motherfucker to make, and then 98 percent of people don’t eat it, why do we have this in schools.

I can't believe you'd go off on such a wild tangent about this. It's as if you didn't see that all the sines were pointing toward it being delicious! You'd eat the whole thing in 10 secents!

I'll bring a pi to your wake.

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

I'll bring a pi to your wake.

I have returned to life in order to destroy you.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Run! He's a vamπre!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    I am sick! And I have an interview for a promotion tomorrow!

In a desperate bid to appear healthy and in keeping with this week's cook-along, I will be making this for dinner tonight:

'Feel Better' Chicken and Ginger Soup

Also I'd like to suggest a curry week some time. :D

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Ooh, that looks so good and nourishing <3 Post pics if you can! And get well soon and good luck with your interview tomorrow!

I'll definitely add curry to the list

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Run! He's a vamπre!

oh my god

• Options
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Ooh, that looks so good and nourishing <3 Post pics if you can! And get well soon and good luck with your interview tomorrow!

I'll definitely add curry to the list

yes!

I have been dying for an excuse to make my own chutney

• Options
    A part of me wonders if people would be game to start a starter and try a sourdough loaf. But that a) requires a week of feedings and b) a dutch oven (or I suppose you could sort of cobble together an ovensafe pot and lid or cast iron pan) and is definitely more of a commitment. But maybe it's feasible with a non-sourdough crusty bread option for those who don't want a starter

signature.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Success! I made a chicken and ginger soup with carrots, garlic, and a splash of lemon juice. Turned out real good.
    0cloa3tbkh6s.jpg
    f12tlba0h636.jpg

Bucketman on
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Behold! Soup!

I tried out the spaetzle soup recipe, though I took a shortcut and used a batch of frozen turkey stock I made a while ago. That also meant I could use one of those supermarket ready-made chickens for the meat. Everything else I went for like the recipe; I was excited to make the spaetzle; it’s somerhing I’ve only tried once before. It turned out real nice. Filling and really savory.

Also, hi. First time posting in this thread; the concept really spoke to me.

• Options
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I did the deed:

U72n24Kl.jpg

Full breakdown here:
    http://imgur.com/a/WjpoQg5

Tldr - it is delicious but was pretty time consuming.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    I'm so envious, it looks delicious

Tomatillos aren't easy to get here and I might not have time to trek to the Latin supermarket

How spicy is it? I have almost no tolerance but I want to build it up

signature.png
  • Options
    It's on the spicier side of a tortilla soup I would say.

If you want less spice just put in a half jalapeno instead of a full one.

I like to ART
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I want to say that I'm really happy for this thread. I love to cook, but sometimes it's real tough to come up with ideas for what to make during the week.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    I forgot to take pictures, but I made chicken and dumpling soup, making dumplings from scratch for the first time.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I want to say that I'm really happy for this thread. I love to cook, but sometimes it's real tough to come up with ideas for what to make during the week.

One thing I really want to make soon is bouillabaisse.

Or at least some of the rouille that goes on the bread.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    What kind of dumplings, javen?

• Options
    I'm making chicken stock tonight for soup tomorrow =)

• Options

I'm glad! I was falling into a heck of a routine as well. Which I do enjoy (I can eat the same thing for lunch and dinner for nearly a week straight and not get bored) but is really limited.
    Javen wrote: »

Ooooh yes, that sounds lovely. I'll add that to the list. Which I should probably sort into some sort of order... maybe by coin toss?

It occurred to me that there may be some people here who don't usually cook seafood, and it could be a fun thing to learn to do

signature.png
  • Options
    SilverWind wrote: »

I'm glad! I was falling into a heck of a routine as well. Which I do enjoy (I can eat the same thing for lunch and dinner for nearly a week straight and not get bored) but is really limited.
    Javen wrote: »

Ooooh yes, that sounds lovely. I'll add that to the list. Which I should probably sort into some sort of order... maybe by coin toss?

It occurred to me that there may be some people here who don't usually cook seafood, and it could be a fun thing to learn to do

https://www.random.org/lists/

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I found a Le Creuset braiser in the warming pan of my oven (I know, right?!) so I would like to request something that utilizes a braiser next week.

I like to ART
  • Options
    If you're a meat-eater, the Serious Eats recipe for Moroccan Pot Roast is one of my very favorite things to braise. I generally content myself with mashed potatoes and spinach instead of the couscous, but it's a really delicious roast.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

The text, since it doesn't embed:

Another week, another SE++ cookalong. The theme this week was chicken ______ soup. I decided to make a chicken chile colorado noodle soup/stew. I would have used a wider variety of dried chilis, but the grocery store I had wanted to visit was closed, so I had to make do. Great smokey chili flavor, really rich. Definitely a recipe I'll continue to tweak. Next time I'd like to incorporate some additional fresh veggies, I just didn't think to grab them from the store.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    i was going to do chicken soup

but summer has finally arrived and is in full swing and the thought of a hot bowl of soup is just, honestly, a little painful right now.

I'll have to think of something else.

• Options

but summer has finally arrived and is in full swing and the thought of a hot bowl of soup is just, honestly, a little painful right now.

This is something that also crossed my mind, because while it is technically winter here, the estimated high for the next two days is 80F+.

• Options

Chicken consommé?

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    Screw it.

Chicken and slippery dumplings for dinner it is!

Pictures soon.

• Options
    Here we go
    Home made chicken n dumplings.

Came out much closer to a soup than is usual, but damned good.

The dumplings are basically pie crust

1 cup flour
    2 tbsp butter
    1 tbsp vegetable shortening
    1tsp baking powder
    1/4 cup whole milk

Mix the flour and baking powder together, mix in butter and shortening into flour to make a crumbly mixture. Add in the milk and make a dough. Rest the dough for twenty minutes while you bring your soup broth up to a simmer.

After resting, roll out to a 10x10 inch square, about 1/4 inch thick. Cut crust into 1.5 inch strips and then into 1.5 inch squares.

Add the dumplings into the simmering broth one at a time, cover and cook until dumplings are cooked through and puffed up. I'd say about thirty minutes because I did mine for twenty and they weren't quite done through.

For the broth I cheated and used bouillon cubes and water, but added in rosemary and thyme and sage. Onions, celery, carrots, mushrooms, and cubed chicken breasts.

• Options
    Pie crust? In soup? SOLD. <3 I can imagine the taste and it's awesome

And jgeis those little wheels are rotelle pasta, right? (I had to google "wheel pasta" to check :lol: ) I've never used them before, but they look tasty

I must be in a very starch-craving mood!

How's this for the next few weeks?

This coming week (Feb 8): beef bourguignon (braising request, and there seem to good mushroom bourguignon variants for vegetarians)
    Week after (Feb 15): baguettes/crusty bread (a good set up for the next week - I happen to have a great gluten free version too)
    Feb 22: bouillabaisse (kosher recipes exist!)

I don't want to think too far ahead because more awesome ideas keep popping up and I'd much rather go with what the group is in the mood for at the moment rather than holding to something rigid. But maybe gumbo the week or two after that?

signature.png
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    I am sick! And I have an interview for a promotion tomorrow!

In a desperate bid to appear healthy and in keeping with this week's cook-along, I will be making this for dinner tonight:

'Feel Better' Chicken and Ginger Soup

Also I'd like to suggest a curry week some time. :D

*Huff*

*Puff*

Someone said curry?

• Options
    @SilverWind they are rotelle, although the package I bought referred to them simply as ruedas ("wheels" in Spanish).

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    so I just watched a bon appetit video on different types/preparations of eggs, and one thing they showed was egg drop soup, which I had heard of but didn't really know what it was. That got me to researching a bit, and finding stuff like Stalian stracciatella where instead of just egg, they beat it with parmesan cheese and other seasonings before streaming it into the broth while stirring to cook it into thin ribbons, and Austrian and Polish versions that do similar things but also add a bit of flour to the egg, making a sort of on the fly dumpling/noodle

what I'm saying is, I've got a science experiment coming up this weekend

• Options
    chicken soup tomorrow

made the stock this evening

I've been in a funk this week so it took me a while to get in gear

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    I have acquired the ingredients for a large pot of veggie chowder, which is vaguely like cooking chicken noodle soup

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Chowder update: Simmering now and soon to be ready! I did make the mistake I always make when cooking things, which is "getting lazy and putting in less than adequately chopped pieces", so this is gonna be some thick, chonky chowder.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    ukkoc9q8u8au.png

Well, it's not quite forty cloves. But there are some pretty beefy cloves up in the mix. I'm thinking that's a reasonable pile of cloves.

Gonna have to toss those spotty ones, though.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    The Chicken ____ Soup in the Mittens household this week was BA's Tom Kha Gai. I pretty much followed it to the letter but added a bunch of rice noodles for some bulk and because rice noodles are delicious.

DYeqWqt.png?1

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I was eyeing the chicken soup with couscous recipe that Silverwind linked, but wound up getting distracted by a different chicken soup on the Ambitious Kitchen site:

Golden Turmeric Chicken Chickpea Soup

It was good! I left the sweet potato out and subbed in one large poblano in place of the jalapenos so it would stay cool enough for my wife to eat it. Would definitely make this or something close to it again.

fe9yymc1jv0f.jpg

cdkb1r2zkr42.jpg

u0m4oj6hnupa.jpg

z8flfrdf2lyb.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets