As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I think I'm gonna go boring with my Necrons and just do a leadbelcher base and paint from there.

Gonna paint the shoulder pads Abaddon black and then edge highlight with orange, green, or blue and then just call it done.

I really don't like painting. I never feel satisfied with paint schemes.

The only ones I ever felt were how I wanted are my knights.

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Is there any company that sells metallic colors like green stuff world? Specifically ones like blue and such? I checked scale 75 and vallejo but didn't see anything. I might try tamiya clear paints or GW clear paints over silver again but I'm not sure I want to just yet.

Also, can anyone recommend an airbrush? I'm tired of the one I have clogging nonstop.

The brush even clogged with the fluorescent paint and those paints are pretty thin as is.

I'm so frustrated with all things painting. I just wanted to test some colors on some plastic spoons to see how they came out.

Is the brushing being apparently a .38mm tip the issue? I don't think the compressor is the problem.

Could the stuff I'm using to clean it be causing the issues? I've been using simple green.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Scale 75 do a metallic blue, I’m pretty sure. Check their alchemy range?
    Yeah, here.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Vallejo also sells a metallic medium I think, for mixing your own metallic colours.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Google Photos decided I needed some filter action. Pics like these really motivate me to splash some paint on stuff.

4wcr75ch.png

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Stragint wrote: »
    Is there any company that sells metallic colors like green stuff world? Specifically ones like blue and such? I checked scale 75 and vallejo but didn't see anything. I might try tamiya clear paints or GW clear paints over silver again but I'm not sure I want to just yet.

I have a couple of colored metallics from Warcolours. Depending on your goal I think Tamiya clear paints might be better though, the ones from Warcolours look a lot like "silver, but mixed with pigment".

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The easiest way I've found to make a metallic the color you want is ink. It tints the paint without altering the metallic effect. It also thins it a bit and a tiny amount is all you need.

But now that Contrast is a thing and GW sells glossy clear paints just do whatever is most accessible.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    The metallic range scale 75 has is good but limited. I was interesting in the green stuff world for the amount of colors they have.

I do have tamiya clear paints and the GW clear air paints and I was going to test out which looked better over what base metallic but that is when I got extremely frustrated with my airbrush and brush painting gloss black primer that had flow improver in it onto a plastic spoon is not worth the trouble.

I will try out that vallejo metallic medium with some inks and see if that looks how I want.

I am also going to be buying a new airbrush on Friday and I have 5 days in a row off starting Friday so I'll have some time to run the airbrush through some tests.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I'll run airpaint or thinned acrylic through my airbrush and give it a good rinse plus a splash of airbrush cleaner afterwards.

Anytime I run primer through it though it gets a deep clean. Full strip and scrub down the metal parts, nozzle, cap, etc with a brass brush from a gun cleaning kit to get the crap out. The most common problem spot on my paasche is the end cap collecting bits of dried primer or paint and causing buildup inside the end cap.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    I'll run airpaint or thinned acrylic through my airbrush and give it a good rinse plus a splash of airbrush cleaner afterwards.

Anytime I run primer through it though it gets a deep clean. Full strip and scrub down the metal parts, nozzle, cap, etc with a brass brush from a gun cleaning kit to get the crap out. The most common problem spot on my paasche is the end cap collecting bits of dried primer or paint and causing buildup inside the end cap.

Yea, I clean my paasche out fully after every use no matter what I run through it because it clogs so easily. I use flow improver and everything as well and it still just clogs and causes spackling or webbing. The brush isn't even a year old, I bought it in July of 2019.

I'm getting a mr hobby creos airbrush next. I talked to the dude who runs the next leveling painting channel for advice on airbrushes and he recommend this one to me.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I tried contrast cyan (whatever it's called) and BA red over ledbelcher. Especially the cyan became a very nice metallic blue. The red also looked good, but not quite as metallic.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »

Yea, I clean my paasche out fully after every use no matter what I run through it because it clogs so easily. I use flow improver and everything as well and it still just clogs and causes spackling or webbing. The brush isn't even a year old, I bought it in July of 2019.

I'm getting a mr hobby creos airbrush next. I talked to the dude who runs the next leveling painting channel for advice on airbrushes and he recommend this one to me.

If your paasche is like mine the nozzle and tip are all metal. Maybe try dropping it into some acetone to see if there's something jamming it up.

The last time I had a problem with mine it was an absolutely tiny bit of paint dried in the inside of the nozzle cone near the hole where the needle slides in and out. I had to scrape it out with a toothpick after letting it soak in cleaner for a bit and after it came out it was actually a pretty substantial chunk of dried primer/paint, even though it didn't look like much pre-clean.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    So for a while now I haven't been wanting to play my holy grail copy of the StarCraft board game, because I painted all the miniatures and the spray varnish came out very tacky, and no solution has proved permanent. There's just some reaction that makes it so anything I put on there eventually reverts back to a soft, tacky grossness that damages the paint.

Well I finally did some proper investigating and found a solution! Testors makes a brush-on dullcote, which isn't commonly available in my area but was pretty cheap off the internet.

Good news: it has completely and reliably solved the tackiness issue, and the miniatures are really handle-able and protected-feeling.

Bad news: using a brush-on varnish is incredibly tedious and makes me feel like a primitive.

Worse news: The lacquer-based varnish is safe when used as an aerosol spray, but when brushed on, the prolonged dry time makes the stuff essentially a solvent for the paintjob underneath, so until it dries completely, the underlying coats of paint are incredibly easy to destroy. You also have to be very delicate and thoughtful when applying it.

Weird news?: Some of the paint on the miniatures ends up crackling under the dullcote no matter what... but I think I'm actually fine with it? The StarCraft miniatures aren't exactly the most detailed and stylish ever made, and particularly the zerg minis are in desperate need of a little extra texture, which the crackle supplies.

Is the issue (with everything going tacky) with the paint, or with the original varnish, d'you think? Just curious because I know next to nothing about painting miniatures, and that sounds like a pitfall I'd like to avoid if possible.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Calica wrote: »
    So for a while now I haven't been wanting to play my holy grail copy of the StarCraft board game, because I painted all the miniatures and the spray varnish came out very tacky, and no solution has proved permanent. There's just some reaction that makes it so anything I put on there eventually reverts back to a soft, tacky grossness that damages the paint.

Well I finally did some proper investigating and found a solution! Testors makes a brush-on dullcote, which isn't commonly available in my area but was pretty cheap off the internet.

Good news: it has completely and reliably solved the tackiness issue, and the miniatures are really handle-able and protected-feeling.

Bad news: using a brush-on varnish is incredibly tedious and makes me feel like a primitive.

Worse news: The lacquer-based varnish is safe when used as an aerosol spray, but when brushed on, the prolonged dry time makes the stuff essentially a solvent for the paintjob underneath, so until it dries completely, the underlying coats of paint are incredibly easy to destroy. You also have to be very delicate and thoughtful when applying it.

Weird news?: Some of the paint on the miniatures ends up crackling under the dullcote no matter what... but I think I'm actually fine with it? The StarCraft miniatures aren't exactly the most detailed and stylish ever made, and particularly the zerg minis are in desperate need of a little extra texture, which the crackle supplies.

Is the issue (with everything going tacky) with the paint, or with the original varnish, d'you think? Just curious because I know next to nothing about painting miniatures, and that sounds like a pitfall I'd like to avoid if possible.

In my experience, tackiness like that is almost certainly the lacquer or varnish.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm not 100% sure, because I've used that same can of aerosol spray on the same paints on other miniatures and they've turned out fine. I've been led to believe it has something to do with the minis and the plastic they're made of or maybe a release agent or something coating them which causes some reaction that runs up through the paint and varnish. I really don't know. I washed the minis before painting them, but it happened to some degree to almost all of them from that game.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Working on some Troggoths, really nice models, fun to paint

0j77bo5o8ft4.jpg

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yo, those look sharp!

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    GW have always had a knack for making trolls really great painting projects. They have lots of interesting planes and weird shapes, but they're not overly burdened with annoying little details. And you can pretty much paint them any color you can think of and they'll still look natural (well, natural for a troll).

Anyway yours look absolutely killer, Hermano.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    GW have always had a knack for making trolls really great painting projects. They have lots of interesting planes and weird shapes, but they're not overly burdened with annoying little details. And you can pretty much paint them any color you can think of and they'll still look natural (well, natural for a troll).

Anyway yourss look absolutely killer, Hermano.

Yeah they've got a ton of character and they're a joy to paint, I remember the old metal Rock Trolls being similarly fun
    Yo, those look sharp!

Ha, thanks!

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Love that blue skin

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    How hot is too hot for paint? It floats anywhere between 73 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit in my house.

I'm curious because the stuff I have for making silicone molds had a hard layer at the top and they've been sitting in the house for months now.

Stragint on

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    How hot is too hot for paint? It floats anywhere between 73 to 85 degrees Fahrenheit in my house.

I'm curious because the stuff I have for making silicone molds had a hard layer at the top and they've been sitting in the house for months now.

Well this last summer was in the 90's when I was trying to paint my necrons and when I started to paint again
    So I had to wait till night where it would be in the 70's

• Options
    I think I'm gonna get some mdf board and paint up some buildings to get back into painting. Just not sure if I want to use an airbrush or brushes.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular

My dude, it reaches 110+ F (outside) here when I paint sometimes, you'll be good at 85. Of course my paint dries on a dry palette before I can get a brush in it sometimes, but it's doable.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Humidity and extreme temps can have an effect on like spray priming for sure, but otherwise you should be fine to brush paint. I don't do airbrushing but I am pretty sure room temp is fine as long as its not 100% humidity indoors or something

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Arizona usually doesn't have much humidity so I'm good to go there. Just the part A of the two part silicone mold stuff hardening up worried me about my paint.

The cast I made came out decently. Kind of a paint to make a mold for this.

Gotta glue it back to the arm though since it broke.

fwbtnf6bkvzh.jpg

• Options
    Kind of stressing about buying a new airbrush. The current one I have is a .38 nozzle and the new one is .3 and apparently either should be fine for priming and general painting but my current one doesn't seem to be.

Is it possible to get a zenithal highlight using metallics? I was thinking of doing one with my Necrons.

Also primed and washed the resin copy arquebus. There was clearly an issue in the mold where it did not line up when I put it together. Hopefully the next one is better. I need to find a better material to use over this soft red clay when making the first half of the mold. It sticks pretty well to the silicone.

x9lzv86j8ack.jpg
    7ipldajb9b59.jpg

• Options
    JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    What's the problem you are having? With the airbrush

J on
  • Options
    Kind of stressing about buying a new airbrush. The current one I have is a .38 nozzle and the new one is .3 and apparently either should be fine for priming and general painting but my current one doesn't seem to be.

Is it possible to get a zenithal highlight using metallics? I was thinking of doing one with my Necrons.

Also primed and washed the resin copy arquebus. There was clearly an issue in the mold where it did not line up when I put it together. Hopefully the next one is better. I need to find a better material to use over this soft red clay when making the first half of the mold. It sticks pretty well to the silicone.

x9lzv86j8ack.jpg
    7ipldajb9b59.jpg

You need to release the blank as well as the part when you’re pouring the first half. Also, cut registration marks into the clay before pouring to get the edge alignment better; a bunch of short troughs perpendicular to the long axis of the part. They don’t even have to touch the part itself if you don’t want to.

• Options
    edited January 2020
    J wrote: »
    What's the problem you are having? With the airbrush

It is clogging nonstop no matter what kind of paint I use. I do a full breakdown clean after every use and I have to keep breaking it down while using it to clear clogs.
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

x9lzv86j8ack.jpg
    7ipldajb9b59.jpg

You need to release the blank as well as the part when you’re pouring the first half. Also, cut registration marks into the clay before pouring to get the edge alignment better; a bunch of short troughs perpendicular to the long axis of the part. They don’t even have to touch the part itself if you don’t want to.

I'll do that for the next mold I make, thank you.

When you say release, do you mean use mold release for the clay/silicone part of the process as well?

Stragint on

• Options
    Yes, that exactly.
    Pain in the ass but silicone is notorious for sticking to absolutely everything (technically even the release, but it’s sacrificial and separates from itself).

As for the registration, you want nice clean geometric grooves to get a solid image from. I say perpendicular to the long axis because that’s where most of the movement is going to be; along that axis. So you want ‘barriers’ to stop that.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Zenithal highlight with metallic paint should work fine. The colour itself doesn't really matter along as the highlight colour is lighter than the base colour. For something like alpha legion ou often even use different colours, like blue from below and green from the top.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I used legos embedded in the mold pieces for alignment holders, and astroglide worked quite well as a mold release.

• Options
    Yes, that exactly.
    Pain in the ass but silicone is notorious for sticking to absolutely everything (technically even the release, but it’s sacrificial and separates from itself).

As for the registration, you want nice clean geometric grooves to get a solid image from. I say perpendicular to the long axis because that’s where most of the movement is going to be; along that axis. So you want ‘barriers’ to stop that.

Awesome, thank you. I'm feeling a lot more confident going into the next attempt here.
    honovere wrote: »
    Zenithal highlight with metallic paint should work fine. The colour itself doesn't really matter along as the highlight colour is lighter than the base colour. For something like alpha legion ou often even use different colours, like blue from below and green from the top.

I was probably gonna do burnt iron or gunmetal grey from vallejo as the base, gotta see which is darker and then I'll mix that will silver or just go to silver and then chrome.

Is there a good way to brush paint the clear acrylics like the tamiya clear or the GW air clear paints? I tried brush painting some on a test spoon and it is so streaky. I was using the large GW shade brush.

• Options
    Also, I should say, with injection moulded plastic, you have a built in advantage; the parting line for the mould is already there for you. If you bed the part down in the blank so that the parting line is exactly where the mould line on the plastic frame was, you should naturally have the absolute minimum of undercuts.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Also, I should say, with injection moulded plastic, you have a built in advantage; the parting line for the mould is already there for you. If you bed the part down in the blank so that the parting line is exactly where the mould line on the plastic frame was, you should naturally have the absolute minimum of undercuts.

I'll definitely try to line it up as best I can though it is a little awkward since I'm trying to do the entire gun and arm connected to it. For whatever reason there was a hollow spot on the wrist and the gun broke from the arm. I felt like I got the resin in there in time for it to spread through well.

The resin starts to harden really fast.

Also, looking at paint schemes for stuff and since I don't feel like I can manager it for any of my KT/40K stuff I was thinking of painting up the Warcry/AoS terrain I'm going to eventually buy.

The inspiration is the old halloween map for league of legends. Something about how the colors are spread around is getting to me though like there is no rhyme or reason to it.
    Ryt3FRU.png

Stragint on

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Looking at that picture, here's what I see.

The structures are purple, shading down to a warm red-brown, highlighting up to a purple-pink to straight pink.

The foliage (tree, leaves/crystals?, ground cover) is pink, but the light sources nearby (torches) are casting a hard orange light. This is changing the color of the detail toward orange, or brown in recesses and at transition areas out of the lighting area.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    Final Troggoth done, might have to pick up a Troggboss soon, these were so nice to paint

sh9cjgffcrek.jpg

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Just made a huge push on the Mortek guard I’ve been working on. So close to the finish line - all I have left is some edge highlighting on the shields, highlighting 2 banners, the base work, and then some touch ups.

Getting this out the way first means I feel like I will finally be able to have a fully painted army? After this, it’s all larger models like stalkers, harvesters, death riders or heroes.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Painting these clear paints onto stuff just doesn't look any good.

I very badly need to organize my paint setup.

Stragint on