As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Submitted for the approval of the Singularity Engine++ Cook Club, I call this soup Honest Jedoc's Chicken With Twenty-Some-Odd Cloves Of Garlic and Also Some Dumplings.

uxs1cd6ggvlx.png
    ttnw0whehgh9.png
    qcnthb9bkxlo.png

I always forget how big the dumplings puff up. That's only one biscuit's worth of dough in there. Very nice soup, though. An excellent choice for the lady or gentleman of taste and no pressing social engagements in the next twelve hours.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    hi1s0ym2gwj5.jpg

Ended up making chicken and dumpling soup, since we used the sweet potatoes in a different meal!

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Nothing too fancy--I made the chicken and couscous recipe! I did manage to find fresh tumeric, which really enhanced the dish. I made my own stock, which didn't quite gel up until I added a packet of gelatin powder. I tweaked the recipe slightly by adding several dashes of cayenne pepper, and about a tablespoon or two of fresh lime juice. Very nourishing, and I hope it helped my sister and mom, who are both recovering from a cold

h9ncbyksqbiu.png

I definitely intend to cook more of these recipes in the future, including the ones y'all made <3

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    chicken and rice soup is done

doesn't look amazing but it tastes great!

9dplobdvdfbc.jpg

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I bought a bottle of Merlot for the Beef Bourginon.

And then mom dropped the bottle of wine on the kitchen floor and it broke.

Luckily, we had a bottle of merlot/Cabarnet in the pantry from over Christmas so I don't need to go buy another bottle.

I am prepared this time, my friends.

Bourguignon recipe is up on the first page! (I keep on leaving off the second g, ach)

Honestly the all mushroom one sounds delicious, I looooove mushrooms

I never usually cook/drink alcohol but I'll also be going to buy a bottle

signature.png
    Since there are probably others like me who don't know the first thing about wine, dry red wines (which are recommended) include Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Shiraz/Syrah, Zinfandel, Sangiovese, and Cabernet Franc

signature.png
  • JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    True cooking story: for a housewarming party in my first apartment, I bought a bottle of cheap burgundy to make beef stew with. I'd only started drinking a year or two prior, and had restricted myself mostly to Guinness and very small volumes of whiskey.

So I poured myself an imperial pint of burgundy to drink while chopping vegetables. I ended up scrubbing quite a bit of shockingly purple vomit off my brand new toilet and environs.

Be careful out there, kids!

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    We don't really drink either and I was sooo disappointed yesterday that the cashier didn't ask for my ID.

First time! Ever!

Distapointed.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I made chicken soup with rice, only for the stock I used the duck carcass we'd frozen at Christmas time. I simmered it for half of forever before straining it and adding the rest of the soup things and it was by far the richest stock I've ever made, which led to very good soup indeed. I made some drop biscuits to go with it and was reminded that biscuits are great too.

E816Mktl.jpg

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Bourguignon recipe is up on the first page! (I keep on leaving off the second g, ach)

Mushroom bourguignon is awesome, it gets super earthy and delicious. I can't remember the last time we did it with beef and we normally make it once a month.

Carpy wrote: »

Mushroom bourguignon is awesome, it gets super earthy and delicious. I can't remember the last time we did it with beef and we normally make it once a month.

Awesome! Which mushrooms do you use, and in what ratio? I'm imagining super meaty king oysters

signature.png
    edited February 2020
    I bet hedgehogs or chicken of the woods would be great

edit: on side note, I wonder what venison bourguignon would taste like

Xaquin on
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Apple, fennel, and celery root chowder!

gzpkI7Ph.jpg

Process pics:

tdaClQzh.jpg

The ingredients for the broth!

LcWKLqch.jpg

The ingredients for the chowder itself!

ROrFPTmh.jpg

The pile, right before simmering!

58eUTd0h.jpg

The pile, right after simmering! After this, I blended some of the soup with cream to adjust the texture and lighten up the color of the final product.

I ate an engineer
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm totally down to get up to some beef bourguignon next weekend. Princely gong to use some sheepshead mushrooms and not do the pearl onions as their not a favorite in the house, but I love some red wine beef

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Ooh this is a good one

It wasn't intentional (totally due to the requests and my desire to make a bread!), but I realized afterwards that this week combined with the next few make it French cooking central. Gotta be mindful of that in future :P

signature.png
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »

Awesome! Which mushrooms do you use, and in what ratio? I'm imagining super meaty king oysters

Had to ask my wife since it's her dish. She says either portabello or if those are too expensive then cremini.

Veggie wine shrooms with smashy taters sounds like a solid week next week

I ate an engineer
    hmmm incoming heatwave.

Sounds like a great time to make a hearty beef stew with mashed potatoes (probably tomorrow or Wednesday).

homegrown potatoes, too!

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Do not try and mend the recipe, that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth... there is no recipe. Then you will see it is not the recipe that cooks, it is only yourself.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Help I cooked myself and now I am very seriously burnt.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Deglaze yourself with some Sherry.

:winky:

Pinfeldorf wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

Deglaze yourself with some Sherry.

:winky:

My girlfriend thinks this was hilarious, bravo.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I picked up all the ingredients I need for this weekend's recipe last night, think I'll make it tomorrow while my roommate is at work and I'll have the kitchen to myself.

I don't really drink wine so I was kinda bemoaning having to hold onto the rest of a bottle, but now they sell wine in cans and little single-serving boxes so I just grabbed one of those. Hopefully it's decent enough for cooking.

jgeis on
    I'm not gonna make ordinary mashed potatos as the side. I'm gonna make Joël Robuchon style ultra-creamy mashed potatos. 33% dairy by weight!

I ate an engineer
    Haha. I pulled out my Dutch oven and put it on the stove, turned the heat on and took off the lid.

Whoops.

There's China in there wrapped in newspaper grin when we moved into the house. Five years ago.

oh. my. god. y'all.

just

oh. my. god.

So I used Chef John's Beef Merlot recipe from Food Wishes. Only I screwed up the process a bit.

bought a chuck roast, cut it into smaller pieces and removed the majority of the fat
    Brown in oil with salt and pepper and then pulled it from the dutch oven.
    Tossed in one roughly cut onion and more salt and pepper
    Sweated that down then added in butter and flour to make a roux
    Added in half a bottle of merlot wine (I should have really sauteed the mushrooms before this point)
    Added in the celery and carrots and mushrooms. (at this point I should have let the sauce reduce for 10 minutes, but I added in the uncooked mushrooms and I panicked at the absolute lack of liquid, so I added in the rest of the wine)
    Panicked more that it wouldn't thicken, so added in another 2 tbs of flour
    Then added back in the meat and juices and topped it up with beef stock
    Realized that there was far too much liquid and that this wasn't going to cook down thick enough at all, so instead of covering right away i cooked it uncovered for about 30 minutes.
    Covered for 90 minutes
    uncovered and it was thicker, but not as thick as I'd like, so I made another quick roux with butter, flour, beef stock, and some of the gravy from the casserole.
    Added half of that roux in and cooked another 15 minutes.

Served with rice instead of mashed potatoes because i didn't ahve the energy to mash them, and i"m glad. The rice was a good texture addition. TOpped with horseradish cream (think Horsey sauce from Arby's) and voila

Oh my god this was amaaaaaazing. Just amazing. I can't wait until winter and I can try this again when it's not in the 90's outside.

Ah, I forgot about Chef John as a source! Gotta remember to check his recipes next time

That looks delicious <3

signature.png
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Not to jump the gun, but are there any thoughts on what next week's project will be? I can't do an iteration of boeuf bourgignon this week (even a vegetarian version) due to having already made tomato soup and cheese sandwiches and a beetroot salad, but maybe if I know before I grocery this weekend I can get in on next week's?

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I vote curry!

but I frequently vote curry even when no one is hungry or voting so ....

I thought we were doing crusty bread (as per OP?)

edited February 2020
    is the op being updated?

how'd I miss that lol

edit: woohoo, curry in a few weeks!

Xaquin on
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Ooooh

Well, poots

Okay, maybe I'll aim for bouillabaisse week.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    you can always go and do something we've already done!

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Cooked this week's cook club a little early, since I knew I'd have the kitchen to myself. This week is boeuf bourguignon. I used boneless short rib rather than the brisket that I saw in a lot of recipes, and it turned out great. Skipped the bacon because I felt like it. I also skipped the pearl onions and just cut my onion into thicker slices. Really delicious, but I do want to try it closer to Julia Child's recipe next time!

jgeis on
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Looking forward to making some beef burgundy this week. Probably gonna be towards the end of the week, as I already made some rockin’ beef chili on Monday and I don’t want to keep doing various stewed beefs too close to each other. I wish I could do the musroom variant, but I’m cooking for my brother as well, and he simply Will Not with mushrooms.

As a side note, I may have marnalmade something really good tonight, but I’ve got to wait a night or a day to see how it turns out.

I have already made peace with the fact that I will be participating on a “whenever I can” basis and that I will be dogshit at uploading photos.

I’ll be the weird guy at a party that stands maybe too close to somehow everybody at once but you didn’t notice him until he speaks up to remark on an anecdote or share one of his own and startle everyone one before fading back into the background until he startled everyone again.

Yeah, I’m a blast at parties and get invited to them on a regular basis, why do you ask?

I would love to make cinnamon rolls. Or other scroll type baked goodies. I need an excuse.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I would love to make cinnamon rolls. Or other scroll type baked goodies. I need an excuse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCugAF7aoLo

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac