As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Virtual Reality] 2: Electric Butterloo

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I tried out those new tracks last night... pretty brutal. I don't mind having to swipe all around quickly and switch from left to right to left as I move across the screen, but those stupid super fast alternative hits of 8+ blocks drive me bananas... and those tracks are filled with them even on Hard. If you screw one sequence up, it's a fail. I feel like half the time when it happens, I'm just flailing and hoping it works out. Ugh...

I need to figure out how to do those better, like how I spent some time when I first got the game trying to master the two block swipe on the right side (blue on top, red on bottom). Left was easy (red on top, blue on bottom), but I just couldn't naturally move my arms properly when the blocks were on the right. My left arm/hand just felt unnatural doing it, so I had to practice a bit to figure it out.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    https://www.superdataresearch.com/blog/superdata-xr-update
    VR demand outstripped supply during the holiday season

Valve sold 149K Index headsets in 2019. Sales more than doubled from Q3 to Q4 (103K) thanks to anticipation for Half-Life: Alyx, which was announced in November and is slated to arrive in March. The Index sold more units than any other PC VR headset during the quarter despite a steep price of up to $1000. It would have sold even more if not for inventory issues (the device is currently sold out worldwide).

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Aim controller acquired (store had to get one in from out of state)! Not sure what to play first.

Good timing for Firewall to be a free game on PS+ in a few days too.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Reminder that today at 11 pm UTC (3pm West Coast, 6 pm East Coast, etc) will be our weekly coop get together for anyone interested

Meet in our discord so help organize

Karoz on
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    I’ll be missing tonight’s session because I am reconfiguring the media area to prepare for the arrival of a new TV - not due to the Superb Owl but certainly due to a sale targeted at fans of the Superb Owl. So much recabling and moving around of heavy objects and the net effect on my VR experience will be nil! Somewhere in there I feel like I missed a trick.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    There've been some recent videos on worthwhile mods for Skyrim VR. I think I'll soon be returning to the game, and I might add one or two of those mods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xUkSRntwWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jap72TIhgDI

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options

Lots of cool VR info in my twitter feeds, I really need to look into them more.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I've had a Quest since August and love it. No wires is just such a huge difference, BUT, I just upgraded my video card so now I can run those VR games on PC that are a good sit down experience, with more horsepower than the Quest can provide (or availability, depending on game). It's nice having both options, and the Quest is a great cheapish way to figure out if someone likes VR or not.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    So I've had a Quest since August and love it. No wires is just such a huge difference, BUT, I just upgraded my video card so now I can run those VR games on PC that are a good sit down experience, with more horsepower than the Quest can provide (or availability, depending on game). It's nice having both options, and the Quest is a great cheapish way to figure out if someone likes VR or not.

Do you use the Quest Link thing?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options

The Room series are fantastic puzzlebox games, so a VR version sounds very intersting giving you'll be able to manipulate these things like they were actually there. Can't wait for that to come out.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular

The Room series are fantastic puzzlebox games, so a VR version sounds very intersting giving you'll be able to manipulate these things like they were actually there. Can't wait for that to come out.

My wife is going to LOVE this. Thank you!

• Options
    It was one of the things that pushed me over into getting a headset.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Word on Reddit is that Moss is free on the Oculus store.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Word on Reddit is that Moss is free on the Oculus store.

To clarify, currently free for Rift, but not for Quest.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    All Rift owner should pick it up, Moss is a fantastic game.

• Options
    Looks like it was an error, and is gone now. Don't know if it will be honored or not

• Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Yeah I just finished Moss (and the DLC) a couple weeks ago. Charming little game.

26904.png
  • Options

I am very much looking forward to this. Fireproof Games did such a fantastic job of making their puzzle boxes feel tactile on mobile devices; I'm looking forward to seeing what they'll bring to VR.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    On a different topic: has anyone here ever used or owns Kat Loco, a set of sensors that enables locomotion by walking in place? It sounds like it does something pretty similar to Natural Locomotion Feet, but with a few more options and at a lower price for those who'd still need to buy sensors and a phone for the full NaLo Feet functionality. I very much liked for Natural Locomotion did with handswing, in particular in Skyrim, and I would definitely be curious to hear how well Kat Loco does.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    I'll 3rd that Moss is a fantastic game. I picked it up during the holiday sale and I'll say that after playing it, it's totally worth the full price.

Super stoked for The Room coming to VR, especially that it'll be available on the Quest. It was such an awesome game on a tablet, so I can't wait to see how it performs in VR. I picked up A Fisherman's Tale when it was on sale specifically because one review stated it was similar to The Room.

• Options
    A new update to Arizona Sunshine came out recently. It kinds of snuck in there on me. Going to try it out tonight in co-op, which is so much more fun than solo if you have a fun gaming companion.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Just in case anyone here is interested or is lurking, I want to give some caution:

Assetto Corsa Competizione while a great sim racer, runs like absolute ass on VR. I don't have the top of the line system, but even with a 6700K and a 1070, the game will run poorly on VR with everything set to the lowest setting possible. I can run the game in fullscreen mode with almost everything on high or highest at 60fps. But not VR.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Do you love Moss? Can't get enough of Quill? Own an iOS device?

Well Quill animated stickers are free for a limited time! Apparently they are in talks to get them to Android devices eventually.

I enjoy spamming Quill high-five and waving emotes to my friends and family. They're probably sick of them by now. :)

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    hlprmnkyhlprmnky Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Do you love Moss? Can't get enough of Quill? Own an iOS device?

Well Quill animated stickers are free for a limited time! Apparently they are in talks to get them to Android devices eventually.

I enjoy spamming Quill high-five and waving emotes to my friends and family. They're probably sick of them by now. :)

I went to go snag these and discovered that I already had them from before when they were free, which goes to show both how much I enjoyed Moss (and love Quill!), and how infrequently I use these “textual messages” the youths are always on about.

_
    Your Ad Here! Reasonable Rates!
  • Options
    SlortexSlortex In my chairRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I picked up Walking Dead Saints and Sinners and it is pretty solid. I'm only a few hours in, but this is a pretty good marriage between physics based melee combat and an actual game with a plot. Combat is governed by a stamina system and is fairly slow paced. Any more than three zombies becomes overwhelming. Running away isnt always an option either, as standard walking speed is insufficient to leave zombies behind, and running drains stamina. I think this all combines to make a tense experience that never feels oppressive.

Two handed weapons and guns don't feel as good as in Blade and Sorcery or Boneworks, respectively, but it's not a bad trade for some actual quests. Still, the act of grabbing a zombie by the head with one hand and then plunging a screwdriver (or broken bottle or spoon or kitchen knife or...) into their head with the other hand is one of the most satisfying gaming moments I've had in several years.

There's a crafting system that is a mixed bag for me. I never like crafting generally, but here it's minimally invasive with little in the way of tedious menus. You collect items/materials by rummaging through drawers and cabinets, finding a disturbing amount of razor blades in the process, and this is way more engaging in VR. I haven't really felt like I have to do it or pay much attention to the system, though, as found weapons (which are weaker than crafted) have been largely enough for me to make it through a level. Which is kind of a good thing given my aforementioned distaste of crafting systems, but it doesn't help the superfluous feeling of the system. Again, I'm only a few hours in, so maybe this aspect gets better deeper into the game. And if you aren't crafting-averse like myself, you probably won't be bothered at all.

Still, braining zombies with a well timed knife to the head and running away from the horde that emerges if you linger to long in any given level is are thrills unlike any I've experienced in gaming. At this point, I think this is a great example of what VR gaming can deliver and is a worthy addition to your steam library.

ETA: Runs flawlessly on my wireless vive with a 1080ti and i7-8700k.

Slortex on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    webguy20 wrote: »

Do you use the Quest Link thing?

Yes, though I'm using a 10ft Anker cable, as I wanted to try it out before the official one was released (and the anker was only like $20). It works pretty well! Radeon cards still aren't supported so I get some weirdness in certain games like No Man's Sky, but other games work just fine. I'm mostly using it for sit down experiences like NMS, Rolling Stock (A model railroad simulator), American Truck Simulator, and waiting for X-Plane to go on sale.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    I finished Doctor Who: Edge of Time yesterday. While there were one or two nice moments in VR, on the whole I'd recommend not buying this one unless you're a big fan of Doctor Who, or a big fan of the series' Weeping Angels and want to experience them in VR.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    1. Moss is probably still my favourite VR game. I played it on the Quest but I can’t bring myself to re-buy it on Steam
    2. Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is absolutely incredible. Just an amazing game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Oculus has a screen for shared VR events, like a DJ class, poker tournaments, watching a rocket launch, etc. That's a nice feature.

• Options
    Suds wrote: »
    Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is absolutely incredible. Just an amazing game.
    How is the time limit built into the missions? That's one of the things that still turns me off somewhat, as I like having enough time to explore a place.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    Suds wrote: »
    Walking Dead Saints and Sinners is absolutely incredible. Just an amazing game.
    How is the time limit built into the missions? That's one of the things that still turns me off somewhat, as I like having enough time to explore a place.

I haven't played it yet, bought it, just haven't played it. But from what I hear the way the time limit works is that the game is on a day/night cycle. When the sun goes down the church bell in town rings to let you know to get the hell out of dodge. You want to do this because more zombies flood into the city during the night. But there is an additional variable in that after each night the next day there are more zombies left over stumbling around town. So you have a risk/reward system of deciding if you want to see if you can accomplish just a little more as night falls while the zombie numbers trickle upwards to avoid dealing with ever increasing numbers every day.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    There's also a pretty strict limit on what you can carry. So far I've not felt constrained by the time limit at all.

• Options
    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/vr-bundle?hmb_source=humble_home&hmb_medium=product_tile&hmb_campaign=mosaic_section_1_layout_index_1_layout_type_twos_tile_index_2_c_vr_bundle

Humble Bundle has a VR bundle of some of the best damn VR games available! I wish I didn't already own this entire bundle.

• Options
    I don't know how I never noticed this track on Beat Saber, but Burning Sands is not only an awesome track, but it is one hell of a workout. I must have played it 8 times last night and am finally able to get through it on Expert with Faster Song enabled. Man, that is one intense level!

I've been trying to nail down a good workout track set for the game, and I think that is going to be my final track. It definitely requires a warm-up before attempting.

• Options
    My Oculus Quest is (supposedly) preparing for shipping! Hype!

Steam profile
  • Options
    Has this video been posted yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4QD_ggjrK8

While it would be cool to have hand-tracking in GTA V, I have to say that I'd primarily be interested in just driving and flying around the world. Tourist mode, if you like.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    dv8fcj7dtnrn.png

• Options
    I expect that the two VR things I've ordered recently, namely the Kiwi cable management system and the Kat Loco, will take a while to get here, since I think they're both being sent from China, and they seem to have other things to keep them busy at the moment.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    There's also a pretty strict limit on what you can carry. So far I've not felt constrained by the time limit at all.

Same. I’ve never run up against the bell unless I do it intentionally.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    My Quest is scheduled to arrive Friday. So.... thread, anything I should know or accessories to buy before then? Do I need headphones?

Steam profile