As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Steam] Fight the good fight, join the S-Team today!

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    DLC? I guess it depends on the game.

But I know somebody who always buys a game with all the DLC for sake of completionism, even before he's played the game and knows if he'd like it.

My approach to DLC is pretty straightforward - am I still playing the game or am I definitely going to pick it up again for all this new stuff? If yes, then sure I'll buy the DLC. If no, then I won't.

I always figured that's how everybody approaches DLC.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    If the target is already set then no point in hiding. Post defiantly, certain in your frail mortality!

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Hello, umm @Karoz is it? Welcome to steam thread, it's good to see new faces around here

Wait, have we spoken before? But I don't recognize the avatar, hmm...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    If the target is already set then no point in hiding. Post defiantly, certain in your frail mortality!

Also, they can't get all of us!
    safety in numbers and all that

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    Viking wrote: »

With the way this thread goes?

I wouldn't bet on it.

• Options
    IsornIsorn Registered User regular

I feel like we said that about Isy at some point. I am pretty sure we were wrong.

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    So is anybody else playing Idle Wizard? They just released the first non-beta patch, 1.0, and it got a big visual and gameplay overhaul.

Kinda neat!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Hello, umm Karoz is it? Welcome to steam thread, it's good to see new faces around here

Tube needs to make it so people can only change their avatars between normal and festive versions of a single picture.

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Also, they can't get all of us! Safety in numbers and all that
    Some brave soul should go full Mace Windu on him. You know, preventively.
    I mean, it's not like MNC Dover is some sort of Dark Lord of the Gift, right?
    Right?
    pw28fpjag3me.jpg
    Yes, I'm sure that it would be pretty safe.

HiT BiT on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    yay page two i'm safe from evil dover

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Hello, umm Karoz is it? Welcome to steam thread, it's good to see new faces around here

Tube needs to make it so people can only change their avatars between normal and festive versions of a single picture.

I don't know what you mean.

I've always had an avatar of a guy having conversations with his limbic system.
    Until I don't
    which could be any time
    Oh no don't look!
    It's another avatar

• Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    marathon-man.gif

Commander Zoom on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    DLC? I guess it depends on the game.

But I know somebody who always buys a game with all the DLC for sake of completionism, even before he's played the game and knows if he'd like it.

My approach to DLC is pretty straightforward - am I still playing the game or am I definitely going to pick it up again for all this new stuff? If yes, then sure I'll buy the DLC. If no, then I won't.

I always figured that's how everybody approaches DLC.

Depends on the DLC. If, on XBL, there are added achievements, I'll probably buy it so long as it isn't multiplayer bullshit. Or content I would have hated in the main game (Undead Nightmare, go fuck yourself).

Any DLC that does not add achievements is unlikely to be bought unless it's generally harmless and on sale.

Bullshittery will never be purchased. Arkham Asylum had challenge room DLC that added no achievements. Skip!

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Hi Steam thread! It’s my birthday! My wife doesn’t know how to Steam so I’m buying myself a game, but I need recommendations. Anybody know any good roguelikes? I already have Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, and a few others, but I’m always on the lookout for games with high replay value.

Feel free to @ me with your suggestions!

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Hi Steam thread! It’s my birthday! My wife doesn’t know how to Steam so I’m buying myself a game, but I need recommendations. Anybody know any good roguelikes? I already have Binding of Isaac, Nuclear Throne, Enter the Gungeon, and a few others, but I’m always on the lookout for games with high replay value.

Feel free to @ me with your suggestions!

Happy Birtday @joshofalltrades!

How about Hades, Dungeons of Dredmor, Slay the Spire or Hand of Fate?

EDIT: Oooh, or Dungeon of the Endless!

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    @joshofalltrades How about FTL, Rogue Legacy, or Darkest Dungeon?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I have all of those on various platforms except for Hades... I’ll check it out! Thanks!

I may have a roguelike problem.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Oh look, a willing target.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    @joshofalltrades I don't know if you own the base game of Prey but the DLC Mooncrash is a phenomenal roguelite, emphasis on the lite because the overall setup doesn't change but the various conditions do.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Karoz wrote: »
    joshofalltrades I don't know if you own the base game of Prey but the DLC Mooncrash is a phenomenal roguelite, emphasis on the lite because the overall setup doesn't change but the various conditions do.

I have it on PS4, I should really get back to that sometime.

You guys are just shining a flashlight on my addiction, aren't you.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Hades is probably the best playing roguelike out there. In the sense that it's moment to moment action is excellent. It's a 3/4 perspective movement based arpg. It also has very nice characterisation, slowly unlocking bits of the story.

It is very progression over time based though. The permanent upgrades are gigantic. It takes a lot of runs to get into full power. The run-based upgrades feel a bit BoI, in that they make 80% of the run, and can combo into silliness. (Though not as often totally OP as BoI)

Another choice is Children of Morta. Though it's barely a gift, since it's on gamepass. So it's like $4 to try for a month. That's more story heavy, and more plodding, about kiting and blocking. I understand it's a bit shorter, though I also find it harder.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I picked up Hades based on your recommendations. Thanks guys!

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've got some leftover Humble Bundle keys looking for a good home.
    PM me if you'd like one of these.
    Hollow Knight
    Assault Android Cactus
    Armello
    Euro Truck Simulator 2
    Hacknet
    AI War Fleet Command
    Satellite Reign
    Tower of Guns

akajaybay on
  • Options
    destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

It's pink and somebody from Giant Bomb compared it to Bleed.

I'm shocked Pixie wasn't proselytizing about it

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

"Commander Cody, the time has come.

Gift-a-pult comment 66."

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Stumbled upon Not For Broadcast: prologue which isnt advertised as far as I can see on the main page.

Noteworthy is that if you download it you get a -30% coupon for the full game, which is good until March.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

How can I advocate for a thing I haven't played? :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular

How can I advocate for a thing I haven't played? :lol:
    How can you not have played something so pink!? :thinking:

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Gift-a-pult comment 66."

Funny, I was about to post in comment 65 with a warning. But work came up and I missed my chance.

So with that being said.

"You may fire when ready."

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Gift-a-pult comment 66."

Funny, I was about to post in comment 65 with a warning. But work came up and I missed my chance.

So with that being said.

"Commence primary ignition."

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The Jedi temple is burning in the distance. I fear something awful has happened. No one can reach @cooljammer00.....
    Betsuni wrote: »

So with that being said.

Sorry, 5s. No one would have believed you until it was too late.

MNC Dover on
    Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I ought to actually get back to Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I go out of my way to craft up a character and then just end up not doing a darn thing after getting halfway through the first chapter.

I bought all the DLC during the winter sale, maybe that will get me to get further...

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I usually buy the base edition of a game (unless I can get good discount on "premium" editions) and pick up DLCs later during various sales.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

I was in the mood for a mystery game, so I played through Return of the Obra Dinn this weekend. Pretty much all my thoughts, especially the criticisms, are spoilers, so:
    Man, these poor saps had a real bad time. They couldn't get a break from a break outlet store after the big seasonal break event. I'm surprised the map went anywhere after the second or third point, because it seems like after the Indian death flu it became a constant, neverending horrorshow of kidnapping and murder leading into monster attack leading into revenge fight or mutiny or fatal lightning strike going on right as more monsters are clambering over the railing. I don't know how those last three guys got it into their heads to mutiny for cursed treasure shells instead of just, "Holy shit, let's just go home and never go anywhere near the sea ever again."

I kind of didn't appreciate all the walking to the magic doors and following the Disney fairy sparkles. I enjoyed the game, but a similar game in a modern setting without all this cruft, one that just let me teleport to sites from the logbook-equivalent would have been even more enjoyable, maybe by a lot. I appreciate that sometimes the body was moved and you want to show me both sites, but this felt like a lot of padding.

The hidden achievement for blaming everything on the captain is bullshit. First, because I would never have stumbled over that in a million years, why even make it secret? Second, about 98% of it was that magical cruft, plus unskippable memories. Almost nothing at all was unskippable. I really wouldn't have minded knocking this out in 5 minutes instead of an hour and a half. But I was already at 15/16 achievements, and I think it's the first game I've 100%'d in a while.

I appreciate the artsiness of the graphics, but it seems to me they could have gone out of their way to depict things more clearly. There were several times where I thought, "if this were a normal graphics engine, I could probably tell what I was looking at."

They also could have refined their list of possible deaths to reduce ambiguity. Did this guy get spiked or speared? Are mermaids and weird hooded spider riders terrible beasts or foreign enemies? How is death by falling overboard different from drowning? I wanted to say this lady got bitten to death, but the closest thing is eaten and then the description says "cannibalized," which didn't seem right. I also wanted to say two guys got "Ark of the Covenant'ed", but I can let that one slide. Going back over a wiki, it seems like at least some of this didn't matter, so it was a significant amount of time dithering over nothing.

On the plus side, the gameplay of analyzing scenes from different angles, reconstructing events and timelines, following people from scene to scene -- all that was exactly what I was looking for. The detective work itself was really well done. And the music was quite good. I liked the art, when it wasn't making it hard to tell what was going on.

I have a wall of text of complaints, but overall still recommended, especially since I think most people have a higher tolerance than I do for the things I didn't like.

Does anyone have any recommendations for similar detective games? I have The Painscreek Killings in my library, which I bought mostly because of their splash artwork with all the conspiracy theory-style sticky notes, and might give that a try next. I didn't really enjoy what I played of the first Phoenix Wright game.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Hades is a really fun game. its still in early access, (there is more on the way), but its got a lot to it right now. I've been playing at least 1 run a day since i got it, and as soon as i put it down, 10 minutes later im thinking ill do another run.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    The Jedi temple is burning in the distance. I fear something awful has happened. No one can reach cooljammer00.....

Sorry, I only saw this notification when I was pooping.

steam_sig.png

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
    Not Steam related but GOG is giving away :Doomdark's Revenge and The Lords of Midnight:
    https://www.gog.com/game/the_lords_of_midnight
    https://www.gog.com/game/doomdarks_revenge

• Options
    *Looks at Steam notifications*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S74rvpc6W60

Oddly enough, this is like the 2nd Star Wars thing that happened to me today. I made a lame joke about the San Diego Padres/Padres-ing on Reddit and people keep throwing Reddit Gold at me.

And now I've been bombarded with Steam games, which is good because at least Steam games are actually useful.

1pf33t0hkyx4.png

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.