As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Who wants to ride the SLUT with me? (South Lake Union Trolley.)

mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby.BaltimoreRegistered User regular
edited January 2008 in PAX Archive
The SLUT is now in service according to this article:
http://www.boston.com/news/odd/articles/2007/12/12/seattle_trolley_makes_maiden_run/
I don't care what you call it as long as you ride it.

It is very close to where PAX is taking place and I am looking for people to join me while I have a good time riding the SLUT. Oh and according to that article, you can ride the SLUT for free all this month! How can you lucky Seattle persons turn down that deal?

While we ride the SLUT, we can listen to the SLUT song written by a local Seattle cowboy singer named Ken Cofield.

So who wants to join me in some SLUTty fun?

Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
mentok1982 on

• Options
    HighfireHighfire Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Am I the only one that had Tom Green come to mind when I read the title?

Highfire on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Seattle Mayor Greg Nickels said, "I don't care what you call it as long as you ride it."

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    liasaliasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Greg Nickels also did a PSA where he encouraged people to conserve water by "showering with a buddy."

liasa on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't ride any SLUTs. My religion clearly forbids it.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    liasa wrote: »
    Greg Nickels also did a PSA where he encouraged people to conserve water by "showering with a buddy."

Wow. I am going to look for that article. Sounds like a good read.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/216328_drought17.html
    Mayors' water plea: Don't wait to conserve
    A steady rain fell on Seattle yesterday, but not nearly enough to ease the threat of drought facing the region, so Mayor Greg Nickels and Tacoma Mayor Bill Baarsma urged residents to use water carefully.

"There is a real potential for significantly lower water supply this summer and fall," Nickels said. "We need to be prepared. Making small changes in the way we use water now could make a big difference when we need water the most.

So far, the announcement is only "advisory," the lowest warning level in the Seattle Public Utility Water Shortage Contingency Plan.

City managers are closely monitoring water levels and stream flows. Without a significant downpour during the next few weeks, Nickels could increase the urgency, calling first for voluntary and then mandatory water conservation.

According to city officials, this has been the driest winter on record.

The joint announcement came just days after Gov. Christine Gregoire declared a statewide drought emergency.

Mindful of potential economic effects throughout the community and especially to the landscaping industry, Nickels stopped short of declaring a full emergency just yet.

For now, he suggested cautious water use, such as washing the car less, fixing leaking toilets or dripping faucets, and shortening shower times.

"We are stopping short of asking people to shower with a buddy," Nickels said.

Seattle gathers its water from a combination of rainfall and melting snow.

When snow was missing from the mountains in January, city officials decided to collect rain more aggressively than usual, resulting in reservoir levels slightly above normal for this time of year, city officials said yesterday.

But with the continued lack of rain, those levels are now dropping.

The low stream flows can also make it difficult for sockeye salmon to migrate downstream from the Cedar River to Lake Washington. Steelhead and trout eggs could also be at risk during the summer if stream flows remain low, according to Seattle Public Utilities.

"It would have to rain continuously between now and June to make up for what we are missing," Baarsma said.

Seattle City Councilman Jim Compton is proposing legislation in connection with the rate stabilization fund, which is used to keep water rates from soaring in years with particularly dry weather.

"We must carefully scrutinize our financial policies regarding water shortages and keep money in the bank to help prevent the need to raise utility rates in the future," Compton said.

It was also raining in Bellevue yesterday as Michael Gagliardo, general manager of the Cascade Water Alliance, echoed the two mayors in urging his 300,000 East and South King County customers to go easy at the tap.

The alliance, which was formed in 1999, aims to develop a separate water source but meantime has a long-term contract to buy Seattle water.

Its members are the cities Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah and Tukwila and the Sammamish Plateau, Covington and Skyway water districts.

Not quite a PSA or him directly asking to shower with a buddy, but it's what I could find.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »
    Mayors' water plea: Don't wait to conserve
    A steady rain fell on Seattle yesterday, but not nearly enough to ease the threat of drought facing the region, so Mayor Greg Nickels and Tacoma Mayor Bill Baarsma urged residents to use water carefully.

"There is a real potential for significantly lower water supply this summer and fall," Nickels said. "We need to be prepared. Making small changes in the way we use water now could make a big difference when we need water the most.

So far, the announcement is only "advisory," the lowest warning level in the Seattle Public Utility Water Shortage Contingency Plan.

City managers are closely monitoring water levels and stream flows. Without a significant downpour during the next few weeks, Nickels could increase the urgency, calling first for voluntary and then mandatory water conservation.

According to city officials, this has been the driest winter on record.

The joint announcement came just days after Gov. Christine Gregoire declared a statewide drought emergency.

Mindful of potential economic effects throughout the community and especially to the landscaping industry, Nickels stopped short of declaring a full emergency just yet.

For now, he suggested cautious water use, such as washing the car less, fixing leaking toilets or dripping faucets, and shortening shower times.

"We are stopping short of asking people to shower with a buddy," Nickels said.

Seattle gathers its water from a combination of rainfall and melting snow.

When snow was missing from the mountains in January, city officials decided to collect rain more aggressively than usual, resulting in reservoir levels slightly above normal for this time of year, city officials said yesterday.

But with the continued lack of rain, those levels are now dropping.

The low stream flows can also make it difficult for sockeye salmon to migrate downstream from the Cedar River to Lake Washington. Steelhead and trout eggs could also be at risk during the summer if stream flows remain low, according to Seattle Public Utilities.

"It would have to rain continuously between now and June to make up for what we are missing," Baarsma said.

Seattle City Councilman Jim Compton is proposing legislation in connection with the rate stabilization fund, which is used to keep water rates from soaring in years with particularly dry weather.

"We must carefully scrutinize our financial policies regarding water shortages and keep money in the bank to help prevent the need to raise utility rates in the future," Compton said.

It was also raining in Bellevue yesterday as Michael Gagliardo, general manager of the Cascade Water Alliance, echoed the two mayors in urging his 300,000 East and South King County customers to go easy at the tap.

The alliance, which was formed in 1999, aims to develop a separate water source but meantime has a long-term contract to buy Seattle water.

Its members are the cities Bellevue, Kirkland, Redmond, Issaquah and Tukwila and the Sammamish Plateau, Covington and Skyway water districts.

Not quite a PSA or him directly asking to shower with a buddy, but it's what I could find.

uh huh. I know what he was thinking about.

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    liasaliasa Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    _______moe wrote: »

I had heard about it on the radio, so apparently they changed it a little to make it more funny. But anyway, it's still fairly amusing.

liasa on
  • Options
    mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The SLUT has grabbed another headline at FARK again.

Seattle Times Interesting This SLUT won't take your money

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2004116994_streetcar10m.html

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    Crit_FailCrit_Fail Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Mass S.L.U.T. riding should only take place if plans are laid for great comedy. Several co-workers and I have been trying to compile ideas on ways in which we could "Ride" the trolley. Our plans so far consist of:
    Finding Western garb (at least a big Cowboy hat) and hopping aboard, making casual conversation about finally getting to ride the S.L.U.T. cowboy style.
    Peeling off our shirts and making obnoxious "phone calls" to friends to loudly proclaim that we were 'Riding the S.L.U.T. bareback.'
    Patent leather, riding crops, and spanking the trolley seats. No commentary required for this one, I think.

We also discussed a plethora of other ideas which involved much less set-up. Casual conversations to have while riding the trolley (street-car, they now want to call it) to use the S.L.U.T. acronym as much as possible.

"Wow. I've been on a S.L.U.T. like this before."
    "I know! It sure is taking a long time, though. We could be on this S.L.U.T. all day.
    "And all night, at this pace. I wonder how fast a S.L.U.T. is supposed to be?"
    "Well, you'd think that a S.L.U.T. would be really easy to plan for."
    "I don't know, can you imagine all the permits required to have a S.L.U.T.?"
    "Hmm, that's true. I'll be there were lots of S.L.U.T. permits issued."
    "I wonder if you need a special permit to ride the S.L.U.T."
    "I doubt it. I mean, look at all of these S.L.U.T. riders here."
    "Hello, fellow S.L.U.T. riders!"
    "You know, with all of the talk these days of being more green, it feels really good to ride the S.L.U.T."
    "Absolutely. I'm really glad that I'm riding the S.L.U.T."
    "Oh, that reminds me. I need to make a call. I've got to tell my mom that I'm on the S.L.U.T. right now!"
    "Cool! Man, I'll bet your mom would ride the S.L.U.T. every day if she lived here!"
    "hah! I'll bet she would, too! She would just love this S.L.U.T."
    "I wonder if you can take the S.L.U.T. home with you and introduce your mother to the S.L.U.T."

ad nauseum

Crit_Fail on
    "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think." - Horace Walpole
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Crit_Fail wrote: »
    Finding Western garb (at least a big Cowboy hat) and hopping aboard, making casual conversation about finally getting to ride the S.L.U.T. cowboy style.

If we get to break out into song and dance I am SO DOWN FOR THIS.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    edited January 2008

I endorse any and all public singing. I can even offer my services since I am a Rock Band vocalist.

mentok1982 on
  • Options
    BrokenAngelBrokenAngel Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    mentok1982 wrote: »

I endorse any and all public singing. I can even offer my services since I am a Rock Band vocalist.

Me too! I can't attest to the aesthetic quality of my voice, but I can keep pitch pretty damn well. You just need some earplugs and you'll be fine.

BrokenAngel on
    k9mk2carn.pngeleventhdoc2carn.png *Proud Head Girl of Slytherin & Team Red*
  • Options
    Zlatnik1Zlatnik1 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    that is all too funny.....

Zlatnik1 on
This discussion has been closed.