As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Any other southern/south eastern Ohio residents here?

I'm still not used to the whole "pick your electricity provider thing" and I've been trying to find a green energy provider to switch to in April whenever my contract with AEP is up. I'm in Athens county, if that helps.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I think @urahonky is in OH(?)

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm in Ohio (Dayton area) but unfortunately there's not much in the area to choose from for me. It's all DP&L.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Yeah I'm in Ohio (Dayton area) but unfortunately there's not much in the area to choose from for me. It's all DP&L.

Yeah Dayton is in a zone by itself. I'm pretty sure I'm in the same zone as Columbus.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    I went to replace the bulb on my porch light fixture today. After ten somewhat harrowing minutes high up on a ladder trying to figure out how to get the hanging fixture to open, I was greeted with the following conundrum.
    3aqzwcc190fi.jpg

On the left is a sensible, everyday LED light bulb which I was planning on using as the replacement. On the right is some ridiculous dinky bulb that the fixture actually takes. What do you even call that type of socket? I'm trying to look for an LED replacement, but I don't know what you call that socket size.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Is that a candelabra or fan size?

Maybe a B11 or E12? Hard to say in the picture.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    I think candelabra size is right. The actual bulb I think is a compact flourescent coil.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »
    I went to replace the bulb on my porch light fixture today. After ten somewhat harrowing minutes high up on a ladder trying to figure out how to get the hanging fixture to open, I was greeted with the following conundrum.
    3aqzwcc190fi.jpg

On the left is a sensible, everyday LED light bulb which I was planning on using as the replacement. On the right is some ridiculous dinky bulb that the fixture actually takes. What do you even call that type of socket? I'm trying to look for an LED replacement, but I don't know what you call that socket size.

That's a candelabra bulb. They're pretty common and usually right next to the standard LEDs at the store.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Looks like an E14 to me, but could be that it is even smaller.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Is that a candelabra or fan size?

Maybe a B11 or E12? Hard to say in the picture.

FZ1221 in Google comes up Candelabra size, yeah.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    We are all old because we figured that out way too easily.....

Mugsley on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I
    Fucking
    Hate
    Maintenance

A truth universally acknowledged.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular

Yeah Dayton is in a zone by itself. I'm pretty sure I'm in the same zone as Columbus.

I’m pretty sure all the actual power comes from AEP’s coal plants no matter what provider you pick

AEP, the top emitter of greenhouse gases currently and in human history

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Crank the power off at the panel and change out the fixture because fuck finding bulbs for that.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    edited January 2020

I’m pretty sure all the actual power comes from AEP’s coal plants no matter what provider you pick

AEP, the top emitter of greenhouse gases currently and in human history

It kinda does, it kinda doesn't.

AEP maintains the transmission lines and the like in my area, and I get a charge from them (seems to be usage based) for that privilege. BUT, I have to pay separately for the actual electricity I consume, and I would like that to at least come from someone generating clean energy. And by separately, I mean I contract with someone else for those watt-hours. I know the actual watt-hours come from the coal plant about 30 miles away, but I would very much like them not to get paid for it while paying someone dumping an equivalent amount of clean energy onto the grid in its place.

Soggybiscuit on
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

The last time I changed my candelabra was to convert it from gas to electricity.

• Options

I wouldn't have guessed candelabra because when I think candelabra, I don't think outdoor lighting fixtures, I think:

d9Py68x.gif

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Here's the current state of my workbench/work from home zone. Still need to cut off another inch or so from the chair so I can sit against the backrest and have legs under the bench.
    tpvhwum4ojwm.jpg

Got some moss and plastic flowers to liven up the place:
    73tvdkwrspk9.jpg

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Here's the current state of my workbench/work from home zone. Still need to cut off another inch or so from the chair so I can sit against the backrest and have legs under the bench.
    tpvhwum4ojwm.jpg

Got some moss and plastic flowers to liven up the place:
    73tvdkwrspk9.jpg

One of the screwdrivers is leaning the opposite direction of the rest. 2/10.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    I know

There's one too few holes, so two have to share.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Had my first trip to an IKEA store yesterday. I picked up the Projekt card so I could get the 0% for 6 months on purchases over 500. Went through the store and pretty soon I'd completely lost track of how much was in my cart.

At checkout? $501.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Wish I had an Ikea closer to me than 100 miles.

• Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    The meatballs alone are worth the drive

• Options
    So! It turns out the sockets in the light fixture were probably supposed to be for candelabra bulbs, but poor QC means that only one of them is actually able to retain a bulb, with the bulb cocked at a funny angle. The other bulb sort of stays but doesn't turn on at all.

tl;dr fixture is trash, will need to be replaced

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Syngyne wrote: »
    So! It turns out the sockets in the light fixture were probably supposed to be for candelabra bulbs, but poor QC means that only one of them is actually able to retain a bulb, with the bulb cocked at a funny angle. The other bulb sort of stays but doesn't turn on at all.

tl;dr fixture is trash, will need to be replaced

It could be an E17 base. Candelabra is E12. Here's a helpful graphic with measurements.

Is2MifH.gif

:edit: Here's an even better one.

E14-Edison-Screw-Cap-for-led-lamps.jpg

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I was talking with my mom today and she had a repairman come over to fix her Samsung fridge a few days ago and shortly after he finished repairs the fridge started popping the breaker (it hadn't the entire time she had it up to that point). She called them back and the guy apparently decided to "fix" the problem by swapping the 20 amp breaker for a higher one. My mom doesn't know what he swapped it out for (I'm having her check tomorrow when it's light out since her breaker is on the outside of her house) but I'm pretty sure no matter what he upped it to it's potentially very dangerous, right?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    chromdom wrote: »
    The meatballs alone are worth the drive

Also their jams. I dont know where else in North America i can buy lingonberry or cloudberry jam.

• Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular
    Opty wrote: »
    I was talking with my mom today and she had a repairman come over to fix her Samsung fridge a few days ago and shortly after he finished repairs the fridge started popping the breaker (it hadn't the entire time she had it up to that point). She called them back and the guy apparently decided to "fix" the problem by swapping the 20 amp breaker for a higher one. My mom doesn't know what he swapped it out for (I'm having her check tomorrow when it's light out since her breaker is on the outside of her house) but I'm pretty sure no matter what he upped it to it's potentially very dangerous, right?

Yeah, that's a red flag. For one thing, the in-wall wiring is (presumably) rated for 20 amp, and you don't want the breaker to have a higher limit than the in-wall wiring. There's a possibility he swapped it out for a different 20A breaker because the existing one was flaky, but I doubt it.

(If it's an old house, the fridge might not be on a dedicated circuit, which could cause overloads when using another high draw appliance in the kitchen, so this isn't necessarily indicative of an internal fault with the fridge, but it's unsettling.)

• Options
    The house was built in 2017 (newly built 55+ community, I still have no idea why they put the breaker box outside) and the fridge has a dedicated breaker. I had her unplug her fridge for the night just in case what he did was install a higher amperage breaker. 20 amps is plenty for a fridge, especially on a dedicated circuit.

• Options
    Outdoor breakers aren't a new thing. What state is she in?

It may be worth calling an electrician depending what she finds.

• Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    My breakbox is outside and it drives me crazy.

• Options
    Outdoor breakers aren't a new thing. What state is she in?

It may be worth calling an electrician depending what she finds.

It should be inside because it's a 55+ community and forcing older people to go outside and navigate the side of their house that has no lighting to reach the breaker box is dumb. It's even dumber because she's in Colorado which means during the winter it's basically inaccessible to her. Anyway she got back to me this morning and what he did was swap the GFCI breaker that was there (and came with the house) with a normal one. The way he told my mom what he was intending to do was confused her: what he said was "the fridge breaker (20 amp, GFCI) needs to look like the dryer breaker (30 amp, not GFCI)" and didn't specify that he was talking about the GFCI part so she thought he put a 30 amp one in (or in her words, a "stronger" one). Regardless of all that, the old breaker worked fine for the two years she had that fridge until he did his repairs, so blaming it on the breaker is still skeevy to me. Since the repairs were done through a Home Depot warranty I told her that if she needs to get repairs again in the future (since I think there's still probably something wrong with the fridge) then to request a different repair place than the one that sent that guy if at all possible.

• Options
    GFCI breakers on dedicated fridge circuits aren't universally praised, as trips can result in food spoiling. The question of whether or not to put a fridge on a GFCI circuit is currently debatable. (I think it's fine.)

What's less debatable is that the fridge worked before, but after getting fixed, will now trip GFCI protection. This sounds a lot like the fridge now has a ground fault. (While GFCI breakers can go bad, there's a tendency to blame the GFCI protection instead of considering that it's working exactly as intended.)

• Options
    Yep. Either the blower motor or the compressor motor is basically shot.

Also I agree with you @Opty about outdoor breaker boxes. They were probably 100x cheaper for the builder and I don't understand how any area with any sort of Winter or extreme weather can say it's okay to have the box outside. Either way you have to penetrate the structure anyway.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    outdoor breaker boxes seems like a horrible idea, what the fuck

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »

They make it way easier for enemy commando groups to cut power to your home when they infiltrate. Am I the only one who watched Patriot Games!?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options

It makes more sense in the south, as the weather is less lethal during winter. It absolutely should have lighting, though.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular

It makes more sense in the south, as the weather is less lethal during winter. It absolutely should have lighting, though.

It still rains in the south though.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I asked a bunch of the nerds in my office (one is the son of a master electrician) and no one could figure out exactly why they would stick the breaker box outdoors. Our best guess is that it's for easy access by emergency services. It's evidently more popular out west.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Just, wow. Outdoor electrical panel? Are there like, no building codes in the USA? holy hell.

:so_raven:
This discussion has been closed.