As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Chris Terrio, [Rise of Skywalker] writer, shops at Goop.com - open spoilers!

1798081828385»

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular

I think this clears things up a little bit. All of the concept art is just from his version of the ninth movie. By the time the creative team that actually made nine gave their pitch Palpantine was probably always involved.

Quire.jpg
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    eh, i think "all" is an overstatement, that book pretty clearly had concept art from the release version of the film as well. People are just posting it less because, well, there's less to say about it.

like i dunno how much there is to glean from a collection of concept art and design (and i definitely don't think there's enough to start conspiracy theory-ing over), but i would absolutely have expected some of the book to feature palpatine

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    The Kylo and Vader scene would have been so fucking good holy shit

• GundiGundi Serious Bismuth Registered User regular
    It would have been a cool idea to have Anakin show up to Kylo first as Vader, scare the shit out of him, then go "hey as a former piece of shit to a current piece of shit... go and fix all your shit. Or die trying."

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Gundi wrote: »
    It would have been a cool idea to have Anakin show up to Kylo first as Vader, scare the shit out of him, then go "hey as a former piece of shit to a current piece of shit... go and fix all your shit. Or die trying."

"Congratulations, Ben. You're just like me."

Oh man if this happened as the Vader faded away to a young wounded Anakin.

Quire.jpg
  • GeddoeGeddoe Registered User regular

Hmmm. Is there a Darth Vader "Cat's in the cradle" rewrite?

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    "You want to be like me? Okay, find some lava, stand right next to it, then cut all your limbs off."

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    mlyd674bxu46.png

This has been making the rounds. Given that Pablo's set to private now, so I can't confirm myself

As someone who always wanted him to survive but go to jail, I'd be pretty on board with this

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    What we have wasn't a pitch, but is purported to be the actual script in development by the actual writers, one of whom was set to direct.

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    I do enjoy that the one constant about ideas that people who were (actually involved) in production of ep 9 are that they are better than what we got on screen

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I wouldn't necessarily say the Treverow pitch was better

• CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I didn't like either Jurassic World's and Trevorrow was allegedly kind of a dick to Daisy Ridley when they first met, but I do like his script. It took risks where TRoS took *checks notes* absolutely zero.

Cristoval on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    DJ Eebs wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily say the Treverow pitch was better
    Well it was. For one thing it was a script not a colllection of words hastily written on a napkin for a AD to transcribe

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Cristoval wrote: »
    I didn't like either Jurassic World's and Trevorrow was allegedly kind of a dick to Daisy Ridley when they first met, but I do like his script. It took risks where TRoS took *checks notes* absolutely zero.

I'd say it took less than zero, in that it actively undid risks the previous film took.

We're in negative risks here people!

Fencingsax wrote: »
    What we have wasn't a pitch, but is purported to be the actual script in development by the actual writers, one of whom was set to direct.

Productio
    Cristoval wrote: »

What are you talking about? It took the risk of being an incoherent mess.

No but seriously I would say most of the big plot elements people hate were risky. If the first thing people think when they hear your idea is “that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard” it must be a risk right?

Quire.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I don't think Trevorrow's pitch is...great

But I would have likely left that movie going "well, that had parts I like but was a mess" whereas TROS had me actively angry walking out of the theater

CYpGAPn.png

That's a separate thing though? That tweet is from a Lucasfilm Story Group guy, talking about an unrelated idea he had way before Trevorrow's script existed

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »

But I would have likely left that movie going "well, that had parts I like but was a mess" whereas TROS had me actively angry walking out of the theater

Yeah. It might have done a bad job building off what Johnson left, but it at least built off it.

• DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    is there someplace i can read one of those draft scripts yet, instead of somebody on youtube or reddit recapping the whole thing?

i'd like that

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »

Oh, absolutely. And Trevorrow absolutely could have fucked it up in execution. I'm just in your boat.

Jimothy wrote: »

That's a separate thing though? That tweet is from a Lucasfilm Story Group guy, talking about an unrelated idea he had way before Trevorrow's script existed

The last sentence of the tweet is what I was specifically reacting to, because I assume it is a reaction to Trevorrow's script going around.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Bloods End wrote: »
    I do enjoy that the one constant about ideas that people who were (actually involved) in production of ep 9 are that they are better than what we got on screen

I'm pretty sure I could reach into a bag of scrabble tiles and slam a better script down on the table 30 Rock style.

https://youtu.be/5onC93dc0cE

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    There are also a million ways for a movie to screw up in the stages between pitch to script to finished film. Like almost anything can sound great or awful in a pitch and then be the exact opposite because of execution.

Though still stand by Kylo getting trolled by Ghost Uncle is always a better call

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    There are also a million ways for a movie to screw up in the stages between pitch to script to finished film. Like almost anything can sound great or awful in a pitch and then be the exact opposite because of execution.

Though still stand by Kylo getting trolled by Ghost Uncle is always a better call

Endgame story gets leaked: “This sounds ridiculous and stupid! There’s no way this will be good!”: Endgame turns out to be pretty good and a lot of fun.

Rise of Skywalker story gets leaked: “This sounds ridiculous and stupid! There’s no way this will be good!”: Rise of Skywalker turns out to be even worse than we feared.

Indeed, lots can change.

can you feel the struggle within?