As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Formula One & motorsport] Le Mans 24 Hours: Please stop crashing into Sophia Flörsch

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Just buy a Rodin instead:

https://rodin-cars.com/models/fzed

Or, and I'm not making this up, the FZERO

https://rodin-cars.com/models/fzero

Disappointed by lack of hovering.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    The T125 is back, baby!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    24 hours at Daytona weekend woo

BMW challenge series is on now and ya can watch it for free

https://imsatv.imsa.com/

Also imsa and wec came to a agreement and are adding a prototype class? Huh

https://www.autosport.com/wec/news/148014/aco-and-imsa-announce-prototype-rules-convergence

Ah it's to let the dpis run at lemans dope

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ill probably watch some daytona... been there several times... every time I go the weather is dogshit, and every time I don't go, the weather is great

oh well

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Oliver Jarvis put the No. 77 Mazda Team Joest entry on the pole position during Thursday’s qualifying session with a lap of 1 minute, 33.711 seconds on the 3.56-mile road course.

Jarvis will share the front row with the No. 6 Acura Team Penske entry of Juan Pablo Montoya.

In the LMP2 class, Ben Keating won the pole position with a lap of 1:37.446 in the No. 52 ORECA. Henrik Hedman qualified second at 1:37.728 in the No. 81 DragonSpeed ORECA, which won the LMP2 class in last year’s Rolex 24

Jonathan Bomarito qualified third in the second Maza Team Joest entry, while Felipe Nasr will start in the fourth position in the No. 31 Whelen Engineering Racing Cadillac.

In GTLM, Nick Tandy set a track record of 1:42.207 in the No. 911 Porsche 911 RSR -19. Tandy edged his teammate Laurens Vanthoor by 0:049. Antonio Garcia qualified third in the No. 3 Corvette.

Zacharie Robichon starts on pole in the GTD class, putting the No. 9 Porsche 911 of Pfaff Motorsports on the pole with a track-record lap of 1:45.237.

Only a 4 second difference between LMP1 and 2, and 3 seconds between GTLM and GTD, and about 10 seconds between the types.

Traffic is going to be rough this weekend.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    Think there's more then 2 lmps this year that's p dope

icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Anyone here would like DiRT Rally 2.0 (and some DLC, I think) for Steam? Got an extra from Humble Choice.

Edit: And it's away.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    Final 90 minutes of the 24 at Daytona on NBC now. On pace for record laps, and only 4 total retirements, all of them in GTD.

GTLM and GTD are currently under a second between 1 and 2.

Tune in if you can, this will be good. Kobayashi is expected to finish the race in the #10 DPi car and take the checkered

Veevee on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    To no-one's surprise:

Coronavirus: F1 governing body will 'take action' on race calendar after outbreak - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51294416

The Chinese GP (scheduled for 19-21 April) may become the first race since Bahrain in 2011 to be cancelled due to an emergency situation in the host country, in this case obviously the coronavirus outbreak.

- - -

In happier news, as of this year's season, the W Series will count towards FIA superlicense points, making it an official stepping stone towards F1.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Also - this weekend its the Bathurst 12h race on Mount Panorama.

Anybody not living in Australia or New Zealand can watch it on their live stream: https://www.bathurst12hour.com.au/streams-tv/

I plan on watching most of it - in Germany it starts 7.30pm on Saturday and goes until 8 am Sunday morning. This is gonna be fun.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    The cavalcade of Force India Renames continues!!

really should've renamed Aston Martin to Racing Point but we can't have everything

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Bathurst 12h weekend! WOOO. I love Bathurst. We'll be driving the 12h in iRacing next week. I'll link to our stream again for anyone who is curious. So this weekend is the real one, and next week is our virtual version.

I think I've said this before but Bathurst is one of my favorite tracks in the world to drive. The over the mountain section is so technical, requires so much precision, but when you nail it, it's one of the best feelings in racing.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I'm watching through the live qualifying from yesterday at Bathurst and its just wild. Multiple incidents that are just totally destroying the cars. Everyone seems fine though, so the safety features are top notch, thankfully. Though, at about 2:14:53 you will see a Lamborghini scare some spectators quite a bit.

https://youtu.be/B-SGTdmsKmk?t=8093

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    For a while I used to be fond of the phrase "batshit insane," but now I think I'm going to have to use "Bathurst insane" instead.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    First time I drove Bathurst in the sim my comment to my friends was "There is no way this was built for actual race cars, this is crazy". I know Nurburgring is the "Green Hell" and widely considered the most difficult track in the world, and I won't argue that...but to me Bathurst is the craziest place I've ever driven a virtual car at speed. The over the mountain section is the most white knuckle, 100% focus, hold on to your butt section of race track I've ever personally driven.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    First time I drove Bathurst in the sim my comment to my friends was "There is no way this was built for actual race cars, this is crazy". I know Nurburgring is the "Green Hell" and widely considered the most difficult track in the world, and I won't argue that...but to me Bathurst is the craziest place I've ever driven a virtual car at speed. The over the mountain section is the most white knuckle, 100% focus, hold on to your butt section of race track I've ever personally driven.

It wasn't built for race cars! It's a country road in a remote part of the state that occasionally happens to have a race held on it.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Yeah I like checking out the courses on google maps and Bathurst is, yet again, one of the wildest looking ones. There’s just a main access road right to pit lane there.

Near Mount Panorama NSW 2795, Australia
    https://goo.gl/maps/m6cS87wG4rvEj6ci7

• Options

It wasn't built for race cars! It's a country road in a remote part of the state that occasionally happens to have a race held on it.

I know that now! At the time though I was just aghast that actual modern race cars drove it at speed. It seemed ridiculous to me in a way that even the Nordschleife did not.

• Options
    It will never happen, but I want F1 to race there. I would do... things to make it happen if I could

• Options
    Mc zanyMc zany Registered User regular
    I want a race in London.

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I was in Australia in 2008, which I think was the last time the Indycars raced in Surfers Paradise on the Gold Coast. I volunteered on the race weekend and while there I came in contact with quite a few of the other marshals and fire marshals, most of whom were volunteers and some of whom had been doing that for decades at this point. They were talking reverently about Bathurst (and the Targa Tasmania as well), but it wasn't until a couple of years ago, when I got Project Cars 2 and GT Sport for my PS4, I actually saw the track.

I absolutely love the fact that it is their Nordschleife and the track is absolutely insane to drive on (at least in the sim). I think it is nearly as old as the Nordschleife, so early 20th century. I would love to visit one day - but then again, I still haven't seen the Nordschleife yet, and that is a mere 120km from me instead of halfway around the world.

My point is, I love these old tracks that have history seeping out of them at every corner.

• Options
    Formula E cancelled their Chinese race next month.

The smart money is surely on the Chinese GP going the same way for this year.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    It will never happen, but I want F1 to race there. I would do... things to make it happen if I could

They literally cannot - the track is too rough, the cars would get smashed up by bashing into the road surface constantly.

• Options

They literally cannot - the track is too rough, the cars would get smashed up by bashing into the road surface constantly.

Then repave it already! Gahd, do I have to solve everything myself?

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

Jimmy Broadbent took an F1 car there in a simulator, I forget which game. Going down the hill in a high downforce car is as insane as you think

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    For those who have Assetto Corsair Competizione, they've just released Bathurst, Suzuka, Laguna Seca and Kyalami (along with International GT teams and liveries) as DLC.

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Jenson Button and Craig Lowndes drove an f1 car around there one year. Pretty sure it was modified to have increased ride height and they had to be careful about what lines they took.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »

Jimmy Broadbent took an F1 car there in a simulator, I forget which game. Going down the hill in a high downforce car is as insane as you think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PISHBraBvi0

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Bathurst was one of my favorite tracks to race on sim racing. the mountain section has a rich set of challenges, and different cars handle it in different ways

that and sebring are the two tracks i would like to visit the most

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    For those who have Assetto Corsair Competizione, they've just released Bathurst, Suzuka, Laguna Seca and Kyalami (along with International GT teams and liveries) as DLC.

I do love me a good corkscrew.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Drovek wrote: »
    oldmanken wrote: »

I do love me a good corkscrew.

:winky:

• Options
    Jimmy Broadbent giving Bathurst a whirl in the rain in ACC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLdOiMNvQzE

• Options
    https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.haas-first-to-reveal-2020-f1-car-with-return-to-familiar-livery.DAWhMU78RpQP9tj0kZWAv.html

Looks nice to me. Here’s to hoping the new regulations bring the field together a bit.

• Options
    I'm busy with prep for the 12h this week, but I plan to pick up that ACC DLC next week. I haven't been playing enough ACC lately. They've made a lot of improvements I wanted so I want to get back in to it.

• Options
    I'm busy with prep for the 12h this week, but I plan to pick up that ACC DLC next week. I haven't been playing enough ACC lately. They've made a lot of improvements I wanted so I want to get back in to it.

I didn't get a chance to really dig into the DLC yet (had to figure out how to fix my braking issue in ACC), but I did a couple jaunts up Mount Panorama. Bloody hell, it's fun.

• Options
    So yeah, ACC is pretty good fun, though challenging as all hell. Scratches the road racing itch I have had, the same way Dirt 2.0 did for rally.

Was really starting to get a good feel for the NSX at Monza, then lost control and binned it into the wall.

Good fun!

• Options
    Yeah ACC is definitely a "real sim". I put that in air quotes because I'm not a curmudgeon when it comes to "Forza isn't a sim!!!" and all that, play what you find fun...but ACC is definitely on the side of iRacing, AC, RFactor2, etc. which are capital S simulators. Most people should find it challenging and rewarding to master.

• Options
    Yeah ACC is definitely a "real sim". I put that in air quotes because I'm not a curmudgeon when it comes to "Forza isn't a sim!!!" and all that, play what you find fun...but ACC is definitely on the side of iRacing, AC, RFactor2, etc. which are capital S simulators. Most people should find it challenging and rewarding to master.

I can very easily compete in Forza with a standard game controller, ACC is all "Fuck off with that bullshit"

...I really need to a wheel set up sometime.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, ACC is not interested in your efforts to play it with a controller. It will look disdainfully on you as you crash into a wall.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Yeah, Forza is a nice leisurely stroll, and I never bust out the wheel for it. But ACC and Dirt absolutely demand it, particularly ACC.

I'll play anything that let's me drive, and over Christmas I was playing a ton of American Truck Simulator.

This discussion has been closed.