As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The newer action figures (and other toys) thread (NSF56k)

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Cambiata, I'm sorry to tell you this but this means that you now have to also start collecting dolls in a slightly bigger scale, big enough to fit the helmet.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Cambiata, I'm sorry to tell you this but this means that you now have to also start collecting dolls in a slightly bigger scale, big enough to fit the helmet.

You joke, but if I could afford the 1:2 scale version of the dolls I 100% would buy them.

I got a new doll in today! I named her Suzanna (yes, I name them. Shut up) after the opera character from The Barber of Seville and The Marriage of Figaro. The top she's wearing is one I knitted for the dolls some time ago, since I've run out of purchased tops that I like for winter. (yes I change their clothes based on the seasons, SHUT UP.)

0hts2rovxm3n.jpg

I'm not 100 percent sure I like the wine-toned wig, so I'll try some of my other wigs later.

Also on the helmet, I put in an order for a smaller version but the type of plastic I selected wouldn't have worked for how thin the helmet is at that scale, so I picked Polyamide 11 instead. A little more pricey but since it's more flexible that'll help in getting the thing over the doll's head.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Wow, that is really cool that you made the sweater. You should sell those to help fund your purchase of a 1:2 scale doll! Or are there already tons of people selling homemade clothes?

Anyways, I think the wine color goes well with the green. But then again I like purple(ish) and green combos. Think it started with my liking Devastator growing up...

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Wow, that is really cool that you made the sweater. You should sell those to help fund your purchase of a 1:2 scale doll! Or are there already tons of people selling homemade clothes?

I've definitely had plans to do an etsy shop, but the market for those shops is pretty glutted and I wanted to make sure I had a bunch of unique patterns first. I was also going to sell the patterns as well as the items, since it's cheaper and easier to sell a PDF than it is to sell a thing I had to spend hours making. Main problem is that I haven't buckled down and made more patterns in a while (plus I'm consumed with Lucy Shepard gear at the moment).

Also the other problem with 1:2 dolls is that they're a waiting list, they don't mass produce them. And even though I signed up to be notified once the plus size doll is available, I haven't received the notification, meaning I'm still on the waiting list.

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    Yeah I was afraid that there would be a glut on Etsy. Plus you probably have to complete against the knockoffs and Alibaba resellers. Good idea on selling the PDFs instead. Those probably will be so much easier to sell.

Wow, that sucks to have a waiting list. But at least you have a chance.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Cambiata, this is the last thread in the world that would shame you for playing with your toys.

Or as they said in Spaceballs, "No sir! I didn't see you playing with your dolls again, sir!"

• Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    My collection of unopened toys continues to grow. Many of which are still sealed inside their parcels.

I'm kind of worried about my unopened MP Hound. Everyone's copy seems to be falling apart due to the bad plastic.

One video I saw had part that almost disintegrated in the reviewer's hands!

I can't be fucked going through the hassle of sending it back, so maybe I'll just leave it in car mode if it's already packed that way.

I'm hoping Takara releases a much more sturdier version. Heck, maybe they'll release a toy colour version that fixes the current version.

Anyway, since there was one thing I picked up lately that I opened:

DC Comics -Batman - Batman 1/10 Scale Statue by Eddy Barrows

I've been wanting a cool representation of Batman in my toy collection for a while. The DC animated figure from a couple years ago looked like that character well enough, but due to essentially being a brick, it just couldn't pull off any decent poses.

I was thinking about getting the Mafex Batman Hush figure but I hear too many horror stories about that toy brand.

This statue though. Man it's sweet. It had to be assembled, but it was only a few parts.

Tried taking more dynamic lighting shots, but due to combination of an unsteady hand and my iPhone not liking close ups in the dark they turned either blurry or grainy. Tried my hand at removing the grain but not quite what I wanted

pHszKjL.jpg

RY7ylm1.jpg

lGJ0k7R.jpg

e9lTv2p.jpg

AKcGQzl.jpg

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I'm kind of worried about my unopened MP Hound. Everyone's copy seems to be falling apart due to the bad plastic.

One video I saw had part that almost disintegrated in the reviewer's hands!
    Whoa, dang! Which video was this? That sounds like a sight to see.

I'd really like to get that figure because it has some really cool engineering, but I've also heard almost unanimously negative reviews about build quality. Weak plastic, pieces that snap off.. man, for the amount of money these things cost, that should not even be a thought that enters one's head, much less an actual thing that breaks in one's hands.

• Options
    Yeah, I had to return my Masterpiece Hound from Amazon Japan since it had a crack out of the box. There seems to be about a 30% chance of it being bad given the amount of people who have posted results on TFW2005's forums. Sadly even if you do have a good copy it seems that there are some that eventually develop cracks in it. I'm going to hope that they make a second run of them or a "toy" version just to get the mold since I really loved the design.

@Heatwave Most of the Japanese Exporters are taking returns on these because they know how bad it is. You might want to check yours out and return him if you don't want to repair it yourself.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    Yeah, I had to return my Masterpiece Hound from Amazon Japan since it had a crack out of the box. There seems to be about a 30% chance of it being bad given the amount of people who have posted results on TFW2005's forums. Sadly even if you do have a good copy it seems that there are some that eventually develop cracks in it. I'm going to hope that they make a second run of them or a "toy" version just to get the mold since I really loved the design.

@Heatwave Most of the Japanese Exporters are taking returns on these because they know how bad it is. You might want to check yours out and return him if you don't want to repair it yourself.
    Got it from a Singapore based store . Can’t be bothered shipping stuff myself anyway.

Can’t remember what video I saw , but it was like breaking something soft like play dough. No force used to cause the part to snap off. Not even a snap sound.

P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    Sounds like they got exposed to enamel thinner or equivalent. It makes ABS plastics VERY brittle.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I'm still trying to figure out camera angles for things. Since I had to reorganize stuff in the basement and I haven't finished work on my diorama I'm running into issues getting things how I want them but here's some random stuff
    8Snn1urm.jpg
    CAWqdz3m.jpg
    hjD9Vy0m.jpg
    80LgK22m.jpg

I'm really loving the storm collectibles stuff. I'm planning to try and sell my neca gears of war stuff to replace with the storm ones as they come out. If it wasn't prohibitively expensive I'd get the other MK ones but many are no longer produced and as such command dumb prices. The blood effect for baraka isn't what comes with the figure. Those aren't wide enough to fit the Theron guard body. Its made from hot glue and paint , mostly for the purpose of trying to test some stuff. I'm hoping I can do Energon colored ones and setup battles with transformers

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    You're planning titty?

• Options
    Okie dokie, time for me to share some photos!!!

First off is a new "toy" I recently got thanks to a nice offer from a random Internet person. This new toy of mine is a Disneyland Legacy Lightsaber called Reforged Skywalker. I wanted one so badly since the photos of the line are really awesome. In this case photos do not do this thing justice. I personally own two early Master Replica Lightsabers (Luke Skywalker and Vader) which were cool to me back then. More recently I bought a really cheap Force FX Deluxe Lightsaber and my Nephew really loved playing with it. I found out later that some were really bad, luckily mine is perfect. Then right before I bought the Reforged Skywalker I picked up a Force FX Mace Windu one because I always loved his purple Lightsaber. Now these four Lightsabers of mine are neat, lights up, makes sound effects and are quite solid. But this Legacy Lightsaber seriously feels like a movie prop with the lights and sounds (with a yellow flash when you clash it). I now have to say that I am probably not going to be able to buy a Black Series FX Lightsaber again. This thing has spoiled me so much... With that mini gushing, onto the photos.
    Reforged_1.jpg
    Reforged_2.jpg
    Reforged_3.jpg
    Reforged_4.jpg
    Reforged_5.jpg

Next up is a toy that I didn't think I was going to buy. I saw preview photos of the Transformers 35th Anniversary cel shaded Optimus Prime and Megatron, but I just didn't like the toy themselves. The paint jobs really looked cool, but eh, just not my thing. Especially since I am trying really hard to not buy everything I would like to have. ANYWAYS, that worked till I saw an Optimus Prime in the store last week. My wife actually found him and said it looked really good then showed me and asked if I already had it. The paint job on him really made me feel like I was looking at an animation cel. I figured since he looked good in robot mode that I would pick him up and leave him in that mode. I took him out out of his packaging to take photos, then I transformed him and actually had fun doing it. I have no idea why, but each movement was fun and it reminded me of a hybrid Masterpiece MP-10 and MP-44 Optimus Prime (the second and third versions of Optimus Prime). The leg transformations feel like MP-10 while the front of the cab feels like MP-44. He was so much fun that I kept posing him and transforming him for nearly a week. Now he lives on my Transformers shelf with the other Autobots and I'm actually glad I got him now and have to say that should not judge any future Transformers for being ugly.
    OPrime35_1.png
    OPrime35_2.png
    OPrime35_3.png
    OPrime35_4.png

Finally the last photos are of the Siege Rumble and Ratbat cassettes. I could never find these in stores and missed out on a few sites with their pre-orders. Luckily the Amazon link went live and I managed to get a pre-order in. Luckily I got them since others were saying that they got the blue ones instead. These two are so much fun and honestly I can't wait to see Frenzy and Buzzsaw. I so love the Siege Soundwave and his cassettes since I almost bought the 3P small Soundwaves so many times. But these guys are so much cheaper and nearly as fun.
    Rumble_Ratbat_1.jpg
    Rumble_Ratbat_2.jpg
    Rumble_Ratbat_3.jpg

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Far out. The MP-51 Arcee images so far look horrible.

Could be a bad photo. Could mistransformed. Could even be that Takara has dropped the ball again because not only is it extremeness back heavy to the point of requiring a stand, but the huge backpack and weird neck, collar and chest are simply too off putting to ignore.

I feel that rather than take a note from the success of MMC/Occular Max's Azalea, they made a pull on shellformer and called it a day.

Takara must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel of licenses, if they actually plan to release this figure as is, instead of something like a new MP seeker mold or more importantly MP Jazz

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/02/08/better-look-at-mp-51-arcee-and-mp-50-tigatron-404791

Someone else will need to post the image here. Too tired to resize and reupload on imgur

On the plus side though MP-50 BW Tigatron looks sweet, but I already liked Cheetor so kind of a given for me..

Hope neither have bad plastic like MP Hound though.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Far out. The MP-51 Arcee images so far look horrible.

Could be a bad photo. Could mistransformed. Could even be that Takara has dropped the ball again because not only is it extremeness back heavy to the point of requiring a stand, but the huge backpack and weird neck, collar and chest are simply too off putting to ignore.

I feel that rather than take a note from the success of MMC/Occular Max's Azalea, they made a pull on shellformer and called it a day.

Takara must be really scraping the bottom of the barrel of licenses, if they actually plan to release this figure as is, instead of something like a new MP seeker mold or more importantly MP Jazz

https://news.tfw2005.com/2020/02/08/better-look-at-mp-51-arcee-and-mp-50-tigatron-404791

Someone else will need to post the image here. Too tired to resize and reupload on imgur

On the plus side though MP-50 BW Tigatron looks sweet, but I already liked Cheetor so kind of a given for me..

Hope neither have bad plastic like MP Hound though.

Wow. Yeah... I'm not sure about Arcee. I know I want one (which is why I was considering Azalea), but after Hound I'm not so sure. Their take doesn't look that bad to me, I also noticed a waist swivel. I'll probably pick her up if she doesn't break out of the box.

MP-51-Arcee.jpeg

Tigertron looks cool, but I never watched Beast Wars so I'm lucky that I don't feel the need to get it.

MP-50-Tigatron.jpeg

I'm with you and was hoping to hear that there was Jazz or Trailbreaker next. Wonder what Takara is thinking now.

Edit: Realized that the grey piece was what you said, probably support piece to stand.

Edit 2: New photo. b9e5ab44-4825-4943-aaa1-60d8e8508f6d-jpeg.28529614

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Because I hate myself and the need to sleep, here is what I put together to try to salvage MP Arcee

Took inspiration from another TFW member. Photo editing is hard :P

aC0TTCG.jpg

I think the bad viewing angle of the photo is partly why it looks bad.

But it's not the only reason. Namely the collar, chest and backpack all still look bad on the real figure.

Adjusting the chest improves only one part of the figure's appearance.

P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Gonna wait for some better pics before I pass final judgment, but yeah, for how much that thing is gonna likely cost, those pictures do it no favors. Never thought my upsized KO of the deluxe figure would be able to hold its own against an MP.

Pretty good car mode though (if a bit panel-y)

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Better pics here

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/masterpiece-arcee-mp-51.1188468/page-24#post-17642360

It looks better. And has the best headsculpt for an Arcee figure so far.

But the chest part still looks too low, and collar and neck are still too long

It’s also going to be 16000 yen!

Edit: actually maybe the issue with the chest and color is the top part of the chest is angled too low making it look more like a little shelf 😆

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
  • Options
    Man, that Arcee's a bummer.

Tigertron looks really good, but I have no emotional connection to the character. I'd rather get the Cheetor, but I really don't like the beastmode - so many gaps, the back seems to not hold together well, and robot mode legs are just kinda hanging off the beast mode hind legs. The robot mode is perfect, though, and it's on the cheaper side of Masterpiece toys, so maybe I'll get it at some point.

I'd really like to get the MP Dinobot and Megatron, but it seems like both have some build issues: Dinobot's shoulders have a ratchet whose sections can separate and the teeth get stripped if not handled in the most ginger of fashion; Megatron's legs are apparently attached with screws that aren't fully seated or something, and can come unscrewed and butt up into each other when the legs are moved, eventually applying pressure and cracking the crotch. There's online speculation of a Dinobot reissue, which could theoretically address the shoulder issue, but I don't know if there's any truth to it; I guess I'll set tight and see.

Now, what I really want is a Masterpiece Rattrap (both regular and transmetal).

• Options
    Didn't someone discover that deluxe Generations Rattrap was pretty in-scale with these figures?

• Options

First off is a new "toy" I recently got thanks to a nice offer from a random Internet person. This new toy of mine is a Disneyland Legacy Lightsaber called Reforged Skywalker. I wanted one so badly since the photos of the line are really awesome. In this case photos do not do this thing justice. I personally own two early Master Replica Lightsabers (Luke Skywalker and Vader) which were cool to me back then. More recently I bought a really cheap Force FX Deluxe Lightsaber and my Nephew really loved playing with it. I found out later that some were really bad, luckily mine is perfect. Then right before I bought the Reforged Skywalker I picked up a Force FX Mace Windu one because I always loved his purple Lightsaber. Now these four Lightsabers of mine are neat, lights up, makes sound effects and are quite solid. But this Legacy Lightsaber seriously feels like a movie prop with the lights and sounds (with a yellow flash when you clash it). I now have to say that I am probably not going to be able to buy a Black Series FX Lightsaber again. This thing has spoiled me so much... With that mini gushing, onto the photos.
    Reforged_1.jpg
    Reforged_2.jpg
    Reforged_3.jpg
    Reforged_4.jpg
    Reforged_5.jpg
    Oh man, this thing looks great. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, but I can't help but love it when someone pours a lot of dedication and effort into building something beautiful.
    Next up is a toy that I didn't think I was going to buy. I saw preview photos of the Transformers 35th Anniversary cel shaded Optimus Prime and Megatron, but I just didn't like the toy themselves. The paint jobs really looked cool, but eh, just not my thing. Especially since I am trying really hard to not buy everything I would like to have. ANYWAYS, that worked till I saw an Optimus Prime in the store last week. My wife actually found him and said it looked really good then showed me and asked if I already had it. The paint job on him really made me feel like I was looking at an animation cel. I figured since he looked good in robot mode that I would pick him up and leave him in that mode. I took him out out of his packaging to take photos, then I transformed him and actually had fun doing it. I have no idea why, but each movement was fun and it reminded me of a hybrid Masterpiece MP-10 and MP-44 Optimus Prime (the second and third versions of Optimus Prime). The leg transformations feel like MP-10 while the front of the cab feels like MP-44. He was so much fun that I kept posing him and transforming him for nearly a week. Now he lives on my Transformers shelf with the other Autobots and I'm actually glad I got him now and have to say that should not judge any future Transformers for being ugly.
    OPrime35_1.png
    OPrime35_2.png
    OPrime35_3.png
    OPrime35_4.png
    I've watched some review videos, and it looks like a really well-designed and -engineered toy. I think Hasbro's really stepped it up with the Siege and Earthrise lines. The only thing about this toy that I - and the entire rest of the internet - don't like is that goofy roof that's just one large unsightly square. The paint scheme is really cool, though!

• Options
    Didn't someone discover that deluxe Generations Rattrap was pretty in-scale with these figures?
    Yeah, all the collection photos I see online user Generations Rattrap and Rhinox with the MP ones, and Rattrap looks absolutely in-scale. I was planning on getting him when he came out, but I seem to recall reading at the time that there are some issues with him. Can't recall what they are, though, so maybe it wasn't a valid concern.

• Options
    Better pics here

https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/masterpiece-arcee-mp-51.1188468/page-24#post-17642360

It looks better. And has the best headsculpt for an Arcee figure so far.

But the chest part still looks too low, and collar and neck are still too long

It’s also going to be 16000 yen!

Edit: actually maybe the issue with the chest and color is the top part of the chest is angled too low making it look more like a little shelf 😆
    I wonder how unfinalized and/or mistransformed this display version is. That collar/neck section looks really long, but it also looks like the chest might be able to swing up to cover some of that. Maybe.

• Options
    edited February 2020

Reforged_1.jpg
    Reforged_2.jpg
    Reforged_3.jpg
    Reforged_4.jpg
    Reforged_5.jpg
    Oh man, this thing looks great. I'm not a huge Star Wars guy, but I can't help but love it when someone pours a lot of dedication and effort into building something beautiful.
    OPrime35_1.png
    OPrime35_2.png
    OPrime35_3.png
    OPrime35_4.png
    I've watched some review videos, and it looks like a really well-designed and -engineered toy. I think Hasbro's really stepped it up with the Siege and Earthrise lines. The only thing about this toy that I - and the entire rest of the internet - don't like is that goofy roof that's just one large unsightly square. The paint scheme is really cool, though!

Yeah the detail in the Lightsaber is really awesome. It looks like the original flash bulb handle that the original was made from.

Yeah that roof really doesn't fit quite right for the truck design. Honestly it was the biggest reason I didn't pick up the Siege Optimus Prime, but the paint job helped overcome that ugly top. After transforming him and having it in hand I can see why they went with that design. Now for those people who wanted a good Optimus Prime are in luck with the Earthrise series one.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Man, I'm still bummed I missed out on Nautica. I just didn't want to buy a boxset of toys to get her when I was probably going to just throw them in a bin.

Wouldn't be so bad except they use that toy as the basis of her IDW2 character model.

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    I now have a retro G1 Astrotrain sitting in its box (have to wait until at least next Friday for...reasons)

Ended up having to order on Walmart.com because the local stores are allergic to carrying it for some reason.

My next decision is how to display with the Siege and TR one...thinking all 3 in shuttle mode is best given the TR form train mode is just too long and the robot forms aren’t as interesting.

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    I now have a retro G1 Astrotrain sitting in its box (have to wait until at least next Friday for...reasons)

Ended up having to order on Walmart.com because the local stores are allergic to carrying it for some reason.

My next decision is how to display with the Siege and TR one...thinking all 3 in shuttle mode is best given the TR form train mode is just too long and the robot forms aren’t as interesting.

I'm debating on just ordering one online since my stores can't keep them in stock due to scalpers fans.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    After agonizing about which modern Masterpiece-style Optimus Prime(s?) I wanted to get, I decided that I for sure want the Magic Square one, so I made a move on that (though it required turning to eBay). Man, no regrets at all, I love how this guy looks:
    GV5zIwDl.jpg

Alt mode:
    m3ewMbvl.jpg
    9oxr211l.jpg
    nsjsR7Dl.jpg

I think the cab looks great, and the rear looks pretty reasonable as well. You can definitely see the undisguised robot-mode crotch and hips, and the robot-mode feet stand out (although they're not glaring). I don't really care about cartoon-accuracy, toy-accuracy, or real-world-accuracy, as long as things are in the ballpark and the toy looks cool - and I think this looks cool!

Robot mode:
    y15w9T4l.jpg
    XPjIkrrl.jpg
    HE9QMryl.jpg
    PTHk1N8l.jpg
    1l647qNl.jpg
    7cogTdUl.jpg
    I think he has a ton of presence. I said before that I like the bulkier proportions, and I like them even more in person. He's pretty poseable, and I am truly impressed with how well he cleans up in robot mode. The bottom parts of his forearms have the grey stripes from the cab, and the back has some more cab pieces, but that doesn't bother me too much - look at how few visible screw holes there are. Look at how tightly all the panels sit to each other. I think the most visible gaps are on the front of his forearms, just below the elbows, and that's about it. In fact, let's take a closer look at the lower part of the leg:
    g5vwFUgl.jpg
    (huh, I dunno what those stains on the front of the leg are; they aren't visible IRL. I'll see if they come off tonight)
    Look at that, and then looks at MP-44's lower leg:
    BPZg67kl.jpg?1
    I understand that MP-44's legs are vastly more complicated, have more moving pieces, and there's a lot going on, but man, I dunno. Maybe that's not a worthwhile trade-off? Especially when you factor in those disappointing kneepads?

Let me also draw your attention to two things.

Magic Square uses a different kind of plastic than other companies. I've seen it referred to as "nylon plastic". I'm not a materials engineer, I can't tell you anything insightful about it, but I can tell you as a toy dork that it has a different look and feel to it than the plastic used by, say, Takara/Hasbro (which I assume is ABS?). This plastic is matte, without that sheen to it, and it has the barest hint of texture to it when you run your finger across. I saw folks online say that the joints on toys made from this plastic get looser faster, so I guess we'll see, but for now I absolutely love both the look and feel of it. It's a huge part of why I like this figure so much. What gives it even more character is that it's not just a flat matte, but it has some tiny glittery spots in it; you can see it in this close-up of the leg, especially if you click through to the bigger image:
    puASuC1l.jpg
    I really like this little touch!

The other thing is this very interesting way of tabbing panels together:
    TvSlLLtl.jpg
    You can see what's going on here, right? Instead of having a peg-and-hole/tab-and-slot hidden inside the forearm, the peg-and-hole are integrated into the outer surface of the forearm. I don't think I've seen anyone use this system before, but Magic Square seems to use it on several of their figures. This is what I was referring to in an earlier post when I said that they have a "signature" design element. As far as I can tell, the downside of this type of connection is that it arguably draws the eye more than a straight-line gap between the panels would, so might be considered unsightly (depending on the eye of the beholder). In terms of benefits, though, here's what I'm thinking:
    - By putting the connector in the surfaces that are to be connected instead of next to them, you are more likely to guarantee a tighter seal, and a smaller gap between the surfaces.
    - By moving the connector outside of the internal space and into the surface, you are freeing up internal space that can now more easily be used as storage of some transformation mechanisms.
    - A visible connector can sometimes make it easier to put pieces together than a connector that's hidden under some panels.
    I think it's a pretty innovative solution, and I think it works really well. I want to see 3rd parties being more exploratory and daring with their engineering like this.

In terms of flaws: the most annoying for me is that the cab/chest windows pop out of their housing with the slightest pressure. There's a gimmick where you can make him look battle-damaged by popping out those chest-windows and replacing them with cracked ones, and sticking some similar "cracked" panels on his abdomen, but those windows are way too easy to dislodge, especially when transforming or posing. They pop into his chest, so you're not going to lose them, but it's still annoying - especially since I have no interest in ever using the battle-damaged look. Maybe I should just glue these panels in?

Some of the finger joints are a little looser than I would have liked. Not floppy, but not completely static either. The hands are also on mushroom pegs, so you get wrist rotation but you can't bend the hand at the wrist, which turned out to be surprisingly noticeable when posing.

When tucking the head in during the transformation, the space is a little tight, and it's easy to bend the ear-antennae a bit. They straighten out when you pull the head out, but I dunno if it's possible for them to deform if left in truck mode for too long. But, I think this is also an issue with like 80% of all Optimus Prime toys?

The transformation is for the most part smooth and enjoyable, but there is one part where all the arm pieces need to be at exact 90 degree angles to each other, and everything needs to line up, and some of the joints are tight enough to make that a bit of sweaty work.

You will probably need a spudger in a few spots. Given how clean the alt- and robot-modes are, this is a trade-off that I'm willing to make.

Overall, great figure, very pleased with it. I don't know if I'll ever pick up a Transform Element Optimus or the MP-44 one, but I feel like I'd regret not getting this one.

• Options
    Awesome! Glad you got an Optimus Prime and really love him. Thanks for the photos of MS Prime as well. I have to take my MO-10 down and see, but I think he also has that crotch and feet exposed like MS. But yeah MS is so much cleaner in bot mode than MP-10.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Thanks! Now I just hope I can get their non-metallic legend-sized Optimus at some point.

Speaking of legends, my Newage not-Brawn and not-Outback came in today. They were sold as a two-pack, which is too bad because I only want the Brawn. Are any of you folks interested in taking this Outback off my hands? I very carefully opened the box and the plastic clamshell, took out Brawn + accessories, and packed everything back up without touching the other toy with my grubby hands. I don't really want to charge anyone, so just... reimburse me for shipping, I guess, and I can send this guy to you. Anyone interested?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Thanks! Now I just hope I can get their non-metallic legend-sized Optimus at some point.

Speaking of legends, my Newage not-Brawn and not-Outback came in today. They were sold as a two-pack, which is too bad because I only want the Brawn. Are any of you folks interested in taking this Outback off my hands? I very carefully opened the box and the plastic clamshell, took out Brawn + accessories, and packed everything back up without touching the other toy with my grubby hands. I don't really want to charge anyone, so just... reimburse me for shipping, I guess, and I can send this guy to you. Anyone interested?

I forget, what size is Legends again? Is that the smaller ones like the Newage Datsuns?

I had Outback as a kid growing up so he is actually my favorite over Brawn. Plus he has this cool gun that came with him. I might be interested in checking him out if you really don't want him that badly.

Edit: But you should keep him since he is Brawn's brother. Plus he has that cool gun in vehicle mode.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Yup, exactly - this guy is about 3 inches tall. Here's a post from the TFW2005 forums that shows Brawn next to Prowl:
    https://www.tfw2005.com/boards/threads/newage-na-h19-william-bonney-h20-hogan-outback-brawn.1185970/page-16#post-17634785

And here's a video showing these figures off:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7a8iWBI0PQ

They're really, really nice. I'll take some photos and post about Brawn later (probably no sooner than in a few weeks, frankly...)

I have absolutely no emotional attachment to Outback (or Brawn, tbh, but I just like his look and colors more). I don't really want to keep a remold unless it means something to me, and I'd rather give him to someone who'll appreciate him. If you're interested, @Betsuni, just shoot me a message and we'll figure it out.

• Options
    I appreciate the offer, and I might take you up on it. Maybe there is someone else who wants it more so I'll wait a few days to think about it (if you don't mind). I'm trying to be good and not buy a ton of Transformers. Yeah that's not working out so well. Hahahaha

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’m interested if Betsuni doesn’t want it!

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    I’m interested if Betsuni doesn’t want it!

I'm ok with @Forever Zefiro taking my spot.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Hooray! I'm glad this has worked out to everyone's satisfaction. @Forever Zefiro, I'll shoot you a PM.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The flametoys tarn is getting a reissue

At that price point it is 100% a pass for me. I do really like the Megatron and Optimus I have, but I can't go for something at that price

Edit: it seems the IDW Megatron is getting a "reissue" also. Only it is:

-1 Autobot sticker
    -1 stern
    +1 decepticon sticker
    +1 grumpy face

I think?

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    Wow. Is it twice as big as the Optimus Prime and Megatron at that price?

oosik_betsuni.png
This discussion has been closed.