As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost how much, now?

• Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Ugh, so we're discovering that our new home is kind of an energy black hole the 2 months of the year it actually gets cold here. First month we used the gas furnace in the evenings and blew a 200 gas bill. Next month we tried setting that down to 60 when we didn't need it and using a space heater in our sleeping area and promptly blew a 200 electric bill. Ah well, we knew the ancient HVAC system was going to be inefficient in combination with single pane windows. We'll see how the rest of the year goes, including summer, before deciding whether this is improvable without breaking our financial backs.

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    outdoor breaker boxes seems like a horrible idea, what the fuck

Just, wow. Outdoor electrical panel? Are there like, no building codes in the USA? holy hell.

I'm not sure what you're envisioning. There are outdoor-rated breaker panels for this. Essentially, a larger version of the panels you see for swimming pool electrical equipment. They are designed to handle the temperature extremes and moisture of the outdoor environment. The National Electrical Code has a rating specifically for outdoor enclosures that covers whether they are sufficient.

• Options
    SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Ugh, so we're discovering that our new home is kind of an energy black hole the 2 months of the year it actually gets cold here. First month we used the gas furnace in the evenings and blew a 200 gas bill. Next month we tried setting that down to 60 when we didn't need it and using a space heater in our sleeping area and promptly blew a 200 electric bill. Ah well, we knew the ancient HVAC system was going to be inefficient in combination with single pane windows. We'll see how the rest of the year goes, including summer, before deciding whether this is improvable without breaking our financial backs.

Oh man, single pane windows are what's killing you. Also possible contributing culprit is weatherstripping (or lack thereof) on your exterior doors. That's an easy $30 fix though with a trip (or 3 after remeasuring twice) to Home Depot. Do you have storm windows sitting around in the basement you can throw in there in place of the screens during the winter? That was the olden days version of double-glazed windows to help with insulation.

Simpsonia on
  • Options
    evilmrhenryevilmrhenry Registered User regular

Single-pane windows are actually not that bad. What you need to do is go around the house and look for any daylight, feel for any drafts, and listen for any road noise. Concentrate on the surrounds of doors, windows, pipes, and vents. There's a lot you can do with a tube of calk and a couple weatherstripping kits.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Oh man, single pane windows are what's killing you. Also possible contributing culprit is weatherstripping (or lack thereof) on your exterior doors. That's an easy $30 fix though with a trip (or 3 after remeasuring twice) to Home Depot. Do you have storm windows sitting around in the basement you can throw in there in place of the screens during the winter? That was the olden days version of double-glazed windows to help with insulation.

Single-pane windows are actually not that bad. What you need to do is go around the house and look for any daylight, feel for any drafts, and listen for any road noise. Concentrate on the surrounds of doors, windows, pipes, and vents. There's a lot you can do with a tube of calk and a couple weatherstripping kits.

Good ideas all around, thanks! I'm certain there's plenty of daylight peaking through some of the parts in our home. The front doors definitely could use some better weather stripping as well as the door that leads to our garage.

I should probably see if I can dampen the heat that might be escaping through skylights as well. Got a bunch of those, and they are super new to me.

We want to look into cellular blinds for some of our windows that we could use during winter - I've heard a lot of people really raving about them lately.

Straygatsby on
  • Options
    Almost forgot. Many energy (electrical/gas) companies offer free energy audits, where a professional will come to your house and give their profession opinion on what you should fix to improve your energy bill.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I successfully repaired the drain on our kitchen sink tonight.

Homeowner level: 1000.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Unfortunately, much like every RPG ever, home problems tend to scale to your XP level as it increases.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Unfortunately, much like every RPG ever, home problems tend to scale to your XP level as it increases.

Oh no, this home has had plenty of problems already that are out of my wheelhouse. It still continues to have some of them. Normally I don't touch plumbing, but in this case I can see the problem and will be able to tell if I did it wrong so I went for it.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Just, wow. Outdoor electrical panel? Are there like, no building codes in the USA? holy hell.

I'm not sure what you're envisioning. There are outdoor-rated breaker panels for this. Essentially, a larger version of the panels you see for swimming pool electrical equipment. They are designed to handle the temperature extremes and moisture of the outdoor environment. The National Electrical Code has a rating specifically for outdoor enclosures that covers whether they are sufficient.

The problem is, often times you need to reset breakers when it's raining and storming out.

Can't do that with an outside panel, so you have to wait it out.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Almost forgot. Many energy (electrical/gas) companies offer free energy audits, where a professional will come to your house and give their profession opinion on what you should fix to improve your energy bill.

And they often give you coupons/discounts on said things, like $400 off new AC or $50 off ductwork.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I asked a bunch of the nerds in my office (one is the son of a master electrician) and no one could figure out exactly why they would stick the breaker box outdoors. Our best guess is that it's for easy access by emergency services. It's evidently more popular out west.

My house has a split master panel - while all my indoor circuits are on the inside in my laundry room, my master cutoff and exterior circuits are on the side of my house. Part of this is that there are regulations on certain items (like the air conditioner) needing to be in visual sight of their breaker.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular

Envisioning something like a damp raccoon clawing into the panel. <shrug>

Anyhow, we need a new front door. Someone mentioned fiberglass doors to me. Anyone got any thoughts? I had just been assuming going with a steel door.

:so_raven:
  • Options

Anyhow, we need a new front door. Someone mentioned fiberglass doors to me. Anyone got any thoughts? I had just been assuming going with a steel door.

How likely is it for someone to try to kick in your door? If that's not a reasonable concern, I don't think it matters that much.

• Options
    FWIW I agree that outdoor breaker boxes are dumb. Just in general they aren't outright unsafe.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I don't know, I checked in with my local electrician (Voorhees & Son) and was told outside breaker boxes are a must-have at all times.

• Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I don't know, I checked in with my local electrician (Voorhees & Son) and was told outside breaker boxes are a must-have at all times.

Did he say why?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

How likely is it for someone to try to kick in your door? If that's not a reasonable concern, I don't think it matters that much.

If you get a steel door make sure to get a steel door frame too, or Its not going to do a lot of good.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Simpsonia wrote: »

Good ideas all around, thanks! I'm certain there's plenty of daylight peaking through some of the parts in our home. The front doors definitely could use some better weather stripping as well as the door that leads to our garage.

I should probably see if I can dampen the heat that might be escaping through skylights as well. Got a bunch of those, and they are super new to me.

We want to look into cellular blinds for some of our windows that we could use during winter - I've heard a lot of people really raving about them lately.

You could get one of those kits to shrink-wrap your windows for the winter, too. I think they are kinda ugly, but not as ugly as a $200 energy bill.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Did he say why?

Outside breaker box is shit.. and outside mains disconnect can be helpful to firefighters and electricians though.

The fact that you never see them in the north east makes me think the "a must-have" is a convenience for electricians more than actually a good thing to have.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    We had an outdoor one in Colorado and I hated it. Always at night or snowing was when I had to go out to it

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Breaker box outside seems unsafe. If I'm a burglar guess what I'm going to do first?

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    Breaker box outside seems unsafe. If I'm a burglar guess what I'm going to do first?

Check for grade school kids?

• Options

Check for grade school kids?

Guess what Grade school kids and burglars are gonna do to houses with breaker boxes on the outside?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm going to guess nothing, because it's already just as much work if not more than breaking a window.

People don't break into houses because we live in a relatively safe society, not because we all have super secure fortresses.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Do these outdoor breaker boxes not have locks on them or something? If they do then it hardly seems a big security risk.

sig.gif
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Do these outdoor breaker boxes not have locks on them or something? If they do then it hardly seems a big security risk.

Mine sure doesn't have a lock on it (and all the more reason it annoys me)

Qanamil on
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

Don't worry, I got it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    So, now that I have a house, I realized just how much empty wall space I have. I know I'm gonna have to get at least one set of shelves for my board games and maybe one for my records. I think Ikea Kallax shelves are recommended for both of those? I might get like a 5x5 one for that, whenever I go to a city that has an Ikea (their shipping prices are not good). But that will only cover some of my walls! So, I'm thinking I need to start looking for art or posters or whatnot. Maybe some video game themed/related ones? Are there any good sites to get video game art that would look good framed on a wall?

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    So, now that I have a house, I realized just how much empty wall space I have. I know I'm gonna have to get at least one set of shelves for my board games and maybe one for my records. I think Ikea Kallax shelves are recommended for both of those? I might get like a 5x5 one for that, whenever I go to a city that has an Ikea (their shipping prices are not good). But that will only cover some of my walls! So, I'm thinking I need to start looking for art or posters or whatnot. Maybe some video game themed/related ones? Are there any good sites to get video game art that would look good framed on a wall?

The Ikea Kallax are a typical go-to for board game storage, yeah. We have a couple of the 5x5s and they work well.

Now, for video game art that looks good framed on a wall: https://artovision3d.com/collections/shadowbox-art

Their shadowboxes are expensive, but they look amazing in person. The art is actually 3-dimensional with different parts at different depths - it doesn't come across well in pictures, unfortunately. They were at PAX South last month though and there were a lot of forumers drooling over their pieces.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

The Ikea Kallax are a typical go-to for board game storage, yeah. We have a couple of the 5x5s and they work well.

Now, for video game art that looks good framed on a wall: https://artovision3d.com/collections/shadowbox-art

Their shadowboxes are expensive, but they look amazing in person. The art is actually 3-dimensional with different parts at different depths - it doesn't come across well in pictures, unfortunately. They were at PAX South last month though and there were a lot of forumers drooling over their pieces.

Ooh, they look great! $130 is definitely kinda pricey, tho. Might be something to get later! That Street Fighter 2 Ryu vs Ken is hella nice.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Those are wildly expensive, buy something that funds the artist/desingers.

gallery 1988
    gallery nucleus
    cyclops print works
    landland collective
    phantom city print works
    the peoples print shop

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular

I just found out I have 12k to spare why would you show this to me

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    After stripping the decades old wallpaper from my hallway, leaving the backing paper up for over a year, and then finally getting it cleaned off, I decided to paint my hallway. I wanted something like this:

vl8tzzi96gnb.jpg

The colors I chose didn't end up quite being what I was going for, but it still looks alright:

pks0564u557o.jpg

The top color, "Olympus White", is rather more blue than I wanted, and the bottom, "Aleutian", isn't quite as dark.

But hey, job's done.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I just found out I have 12k to spare why would you show this to me

I reiterate - they look so much better in person than they already do in the pictures online. Their booth always had a crowd of people around it at PAX South and at GenCon last year, for good reason.

:P

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Delzhand wrote: »
    After stripping the decades old wallpaper from my hallway, leaving the backing paper up for over a year, and then finally getting it cleaned off, I decided to paint my hallway. I wanted something like this:

The colors I chose didn't end up quite being what I was going for, but it still looks alright:

The top color, "Olympus White", is rather more blue than I wanted, and the bottom, "Aleutian", isn't quite as dark.

But hey, job's done.

Looks great! Color matching is a near impossible task, without even factoring in image processing & fakery.

When you moved in, was there a door in that hallway? Seems inconvenient.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, the kitchen and living room both had doors. Taking them off was the first thing I did move-in day. In fact, painting the hallway has kinda shown up the shoddy paintwork on the chair rail and doorframes, so I'm gonna touch em up with some white paint and make a few dutchmans to get rid of the hinges.

Edit: Also pictured - who uses black light switches

Delzhand on
  • Options
    We're beginning to put together our long term DIY list for this place and one of the easy wins is repainting our master bath, which is inexplicably a mix of dark blue and aquamarine with drip spots all over. It seriously looks like someone killed the opera singer from the 5th Element in there.

I'm actually kind of looking forward to both bathroom updates - they are frozen in 1974 and will be really nice clean slate projects that we can update ourselves while still maintaining the old house feel. I haven't had to stones (or time...or money) to punch through one of our walls yet, but I'm dying to know the composition, because seriously this drywall/sheetrock feels like literal rock and/or plaster. I'm wondering what the stud situation is if it's even that kind of build. Research time!

Gotta learn how to use a tile saw, though. That'll be interesting. Or...not.

• Options
    Depending the age of your house, you may have walls like mine; which are mesh+"plaster" for the shower and tub walls.

Luckily the wet walls for our sinks are some version of drywall.

• Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    Query, house thread: when one pays people to paint the inside of one's house, what extent of prep work on one's part is expected/required?

Like, I assume I need to take art off the walls and take down TVs and such. But, for example, is it on me to take down mirrors in the bathrooms? Disassemble toilets?

Because two of the four reasons I want to pay someone rather than do it myself are:
    1) my master bathroom has two 6'x3' mirrors on the wall and I have no idea how to get them down without breaking them
    2) I don't want to disassemble toilets

The other two being:
    3) For some reason my master bathroom is like 15'+ tall and I don't have a ladder that long
    4) I suck at painting

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
This discussion has been closed.