As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Lunacy Interesting Times!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    I could, in fact, have won on this result had the mafia not killed me Day 2.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Perhaps I'm overlooking the power of soft verification through the special's assigned unique moon phases though

Auralynx wrote: »
    I could, in fact, have won on this result had the mafia not killed me Day 2.

Now @38thDoe has to go back and edit the 2nd night narration :P

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    discrider wrote: »
    Perhaps I'm overlooking the power of soft verification through the special's assigned unique moon phases though

The SK role for this was pretty cool (and would really have muddied the waters on that idea, which is why I mention it) apart from having half-powers in a game that lasted 5 days. Your vig, if any, died Night 1 - that first green kill was me.

The next night you'd changed phase to where it would look like a mafia kill and I decided I'd look for important targets for a bit instead!

SK PM:
    The Chosen Moon Mage

Insane? Ha. Genius, visionary, chosen one, messiah. All of these yes. Insane? No. The mewling children who sleep while the world is brought to ruin around you. They are insane. The sheep. Even those who will try to change the world are fools. They have the right idea but they won’t go far enough. No. You will show them. Maybe it will take a catastrophe to wake up the world. Well, you can provide that. And they will help you do it!

Abilities:
    Depending on how close the moon is to the earth you will have different abilities:

You always have the option to kill available.
    Depending on the phase this kill will look different.
    On these phases it will show as a village kill:
    Full Moon
    First Quarter
    Third Quarter
    New Moon
    On the other phases it will show as a mafia kill.

If the moon is pushed out of Earth’s orbit your kill will show as black.

On these phases

New Moon
    First Quarter
    Third Quarter
    New Moon
    You may perform these actions:

Self Guard
    Guard
    Guard
    Sacrifice Guard Vote +1
    CURRENT Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard

On these phases

Waxing Crescent
    Waxing Gibbous
    Waning Crescent
    Waning Gibbous

Seer
    Seer
    Seer
    Vote+1/ .5 Seer
    CURRENT .5 Seer
    .5 Seer
    Vote+.5

Win condition: Eliminate everyone other than you. You will also win if the moon smashes into the earth killing everyone.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    [

The SK role for this was pretty cool (and would really have muddied the waters on that idea, which is why I mention it) apart from having half-powers in a game that lasted 5 days. Your vig, if any, died Night 1 - that first green kill was me.

The next night you'd changed phase to where it would look like a mafia kill and I decided I'd look for important targets for a bit instead!

SK PM:
    The Chosen Moon Mage

Insane? Ha. Genius, visionary, chosen one, messiah. All of these yes. Insane? No. The mewling children who sleep while the world is brought to ruin around you. They are insane. The sheep. Even those who will try to change the world are fools. They have the right idea but they won’t go far enough. No. You will show them. Maybe it will take a catastrophe to wake up the world. Well, you can provide that. And they will help you do it!

Abilities:
    Depending on how close the moon is to the earth you will have different abilities:

Full Moon
    First Quarter
    Third Quarter
    New Moon

On these phases

New Moon
    First Quarter
    Third Quarter
    New Moon

Self Guard
    Guard
    Guard
    Sacrifice Guard Vote +1
    CURRENT Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard

On these phases

Waxing Crescent
    Waxing Gibbous
    Waning Crescent
    Waning Gibbous

Seer
    Seer
    Seer
    Vote+1/ .5 Seer
    CURRENT .5 Seer
    .5 Seer
    Vote+.5

Win condition: Eliminate everyone other than you. You will also win if the moon smashes into the earth killing everyone.

Arasaki was the New Moon vig, but the moon wasn't close enough to be a kill N1. There was 1 vig for each quarter (which is why those nights were your guard nights)

JPants wrote: »
    [

SK PM:
    The Chosen Moon Mage

Abilities:

Full Moon
    First Quarter
    Third Quarter
    New Moon

On these phases

New Moon
    First Quarter
    Third Quarter
    New Moon

Self Guard
    Guard
    Guard
    Sacrifice Guard Vote +1
    CURRENT Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard

On these phases

Waxing Crescent
    Waxing Gibbous
    Waning Crescent
    Waning Gibbous

Seer
    Seer
    Seer
    Vote+1/ .5 Seer
    CURRENT .5 Seer
    .5 Seer
    Vote+.5

Arasaki was the New Moon vig, but the moon wasn't close enough to be a kill N1. There was 1 vig for each quarter (which is why those nights were your guard nights)

Ah. Either way, that was me. I considered calling it, but with no idea what color I'd come out the next day that seemed at best unwise.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    A Lunar Gate Master

You are a Lunar Gate Master. You use the powers of the moon to secure justice and safety for the people of Earth. You do this by opening gates using the moon’s power. Well it is complicated but when the phase of the moon is correct you can open a dangerous gate.

Your Phase: New Moon

Abilities:

Close
    Unblockable Kill
    Unblockable Kill
    Kill
    Null Vote+Cycle
    CURRENT Null Vote+Cycle
    Null Vote
    Null Vote
    Far

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to the village.

• Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    I was working under the impression that there was potentially a 'close', 'medium', and 'far' vig/seer/guard.

Interesting to see that wasn't the case.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I was working under the impression that there was potentially a 'close', 'medium', and 'far' vig/seer/guard.

Interesting to see that wasn't the case.

That’s what I assumed at first as well - then I had two different people confirm to me that it was close powers.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    If the mafia had infiltrated more, for instance, they could have figured how vigs and seers were tied to phases, and constantly skip the village powers.

We were just lucky to have good aim, and even then we perhaps had too good of an aim.

ZH gave out that info day 1 - I was surprised the mafia wasn’t using that knowledge to keep the moon on the phase of dead specials.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    I am deeply disappointed in you @Auralynx , you killed me without even trying to gain my trust and betray me first!

For what it was worth, I was the 1/4 moon guard, unless the moon was close it would have been a sacrificial guard hence really wanting the moon closer.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    He said the phase affects powers. There wasn’t any clear info on specifically how other than close vs far meaning something.

I tried to imitate but screwed up by claiming every night power not realizing how impossible that was plus, having never gotten the guard role ever, I keep forgetting that guards normally can’t self-guard.

He spelled out that his specific phase would be weak or not work due to him getting voted out. Y’all gotta read :p

Yeah but the counter to that is that the mafia got stronger as the moon moved closer. If we had tried to stick to one phase, assuming our vote won, we wouldn’t get the stronger mafia power of guard and more kills.

Here’s mafia role, btw.
    You are...

Corrupt Moon Mages

You have long held a secret power to use the moon’s power as your own. You belong to a society that insists on never using this power while others place the planet on a path to destruction. A group of you have decided to take matters into your own hands and destroy some world leaders until you are taken seriously. Naturally the other Moon Mages will try to stop you from doing this. They will need to be culled until you are the dominant group in Moon Mage Society. Then nothing will stand in your way.

You have the following abilities:

Close
    2 kills mafia guard
    2 kills mafia guard
    1.5 kills mafia guard
    1.5 kills
    CURRENT: 1 kill
    .5 kill
    .5 kill
    Far

You may also apply moon movement points as per the role in the OP.

Win condition: Eliminate all threats to your rule and outnumber the others..

I dunno - the one night I voted to speed up the phasing it both skipped a phase and moved closer

Yeah waiting on host notes on that one. We operated under the assumption you could only do one and obviously more power was more appealing.

edited February 2020
    Gizzy wrote: »
    I dunno - the one night I voted to speed up the phasing it both skipped a phase and moved closer

>:(

I had no powers all game

discrider on
  • Sir FabulousSir Fabulous Malevolent Squid God Registered User regular
    That said I am very proud of the Phalla community for as far as I can tell, as quickly as possible using the power to control the moon's position to ram that fucker straight into Earth.

This is, I feel, a perfect encapsulation of our mindset.

pickup-sig.php?name=Orthanc

Switch Friend Code: SW-1406-1275-7906
    Honestly, when I saw that conclusion in the order of operations, I kind of assumed it was going to happen.

I wasn’t actively trying to make it happen but, just kind of had that feeling, you know?

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I didn't do too well from the start being that I had a lot more grudges against me then I thought. Or it was just funny to vote me cause wolf? Still, this game was fun. It's difficult though with inactivity being so high, unfortunately

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    Also here is the proboard:
    http://corruptedcore.freeforums.net/

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
    MamaWolf wrote: »

Lol.
    "network fiend"?

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Ive been working a lot so i didnt have as much time to get invested. Almost withdrew do to not feeling well but then I got the pm.

I voted to push the moon away a couple times but forgot a couple times too. Dont think I ever affected anything.

Trying to be the voice of reason feels weird.

Also "give me all your information and let me decide all the things" is just...bad.

Like why even play if you arent going to have any agency?

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Thanks for hosting 38th Doe!
    Hope ya feel better soon. Colds and sinuses can really suck.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Bummed about the moon.
    was that the work of villagers or something else like a neutral moon mage?
    Feels against the spirit of the game to intentionally throw it if it was villagers
    Virgil

For obvious reasons.
    Hah!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    sorry phalla community

it was a bad combination of constant sleep deprivation and a renewed addiction to political news that drove me to my actions
    (or lack thereof, on the days i slept through vote close without submitting any votes or orders)

edited February 2020
    Had Lunar Magister Third Quarter

Close
    Guard +.5 guard(self)
    Guard +.5 guard
    Guard
    Sacrifice Guard Vote +1
    CURRENT Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard
    Sacrifice Guard
    Far

It was fairly clear to me that the closer the moon was the worse things would be. I didn't do enough to stress it.
    Why else would you need extra guarding?
    Never got to third quarter, but I think people generally did a really good job sussing out those mafia members
    Good job team!

Fairly interesting game, but I think in general,
    games where X/25 players can choose to flip the table is probably a mechanic to skip.

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Also "give me all your information and let me decide all the things" is just...bad.

So our network was built off Locus revealing info after vote closer night 1.
    Too many villagers died not revealing that they were specials, and I don't think info not shared is worth anything at all.

So between the latter and giving info to the eventual nethead, 'give info' is better.

And it's not like you don't have agency as a regular vanillager either. Vote for mafia! Who cares if someone else is aggregating other info?
    Bummed about the moon.
    was that the work of villagers or something else like a neutral moon mage?
    Feels against the spirit of the game to intentionally throw it if it was villagers
    Virgil

For obvious reasons.
    Hah!

A Mafia member and a villager teamed up to crash the moon in the end.
    Because reasons.

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Thanks for hosting, @38thDoe! This was a very interesting game. It was a clever way to spread around the "special" roles and to give the "regular" villagers something to do every day that had a significant impact on the game.

I think in theory the ability to control the position and phase of the moon should have worked, but in practice the village had a hard time exerting kind of control over the position or phase of the moon, just due to lack of ability to coordinate. So I felt like I spent the game impotently shaking my fist at the moon as it came crashing down on top of us.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

No one said that this game, though.

MamaWolf wrote: »

Lol.
    "network fiend"?

Yes, I actually like to network with you, but since this game I had the giant red target on my back I never reached out. Next game though....maybe...assuming you aren't mafia.

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Who moved the moon closer?

ObiFett wrote: »

You did.

You tried to do it twice.

Who moved the moon closer?

I think everyone did

I have so much fun being SK. I hope I'm that next game

Thank you @38thDoe for hosting!

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular

You did.

I don't think any of the seers ever got a chance to use their ability, so the "network" (which was barely a network at all) couldn't have made decisions for the village even if we wanted to. We were just trying to aggregate information to narrow the list of possible mafia. Everyone else still would have had to decide who was the best choice (especially since my aim was, as usual, terrible).

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular

You did.

I tried to make a role call, to suss out mafia. And recommended we do the thing that wouldn't have ended the game.

It's hardly "deciding all the things"