As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dad of War: Axe Me About My Son[God of War]

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Currently getting:
    The Magic Chisel

How far through am I? Bouncing off the game at the mo, I go through phases of enjoying it and then just pushing through it for the sake of it!

It was a gift so I feel a little obligated to finish it. How much story-wise am I missing if I just go through the Main Quest?

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Currently getting:
    The Magic Chisel

How far through am I? Bouncing off the game at the mo, I go through phases of enjoying it and then just pushing through it for the sake of it!

It was a gift so I feel a little obligated to finish it. How much story-wise am I missing if I just go through the Main Quest?
    You are before the halfway point-ish. Keep playing. Things will pick up fairly soon after this chapter, both in terms of gameplay and the plot.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Worth it for the ending alone.

• Options
    At helheim. Yay. Another troll. At least I have a new weapon.

• Options
    I've finished it at last! Good ending but yeesh was the game a slog. Wouldn't do if everyone liked the same though.

I think traversal is a big part of what I enjoy in games, it's why I liked spiderman so much and here it felt so limiting. There's a small pile of rocks, I can go no further. The combat didn't do much for me either.

Still, it was a gift and I've finished it! I'm now excited to move on to the next Xmas game.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Cory Barlog records a message for master .gif artists SunhiLegend and Much118x thanking them for the beautiful God of War .gifs they have made and telling them that they will be receiving official God of War Development Team PS4 controllers and welcomes them as unofficial members of the development team.

Cory Barlog: We have a very special message for the #GodofWar GIF masters @SunhiLegend
    & @Much118x whose continued creations inspire and drive us to no end, thank you

• Options
    Oh no he said "JIF"? I can't watch that video then. Steve Wilhite is wrong about the pronunciation.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I don't care if he is the creator, Steve Wilhite is wroooooong, just like you said.
    Creators who go back and mess with their original works often are. Just look at George Lucas and JK Rowling.

vamen on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    How do you people pronounce giraffe???

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    “Giraffe” isn’t, to my knowledge, an acronym that starts with “graphics”

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Gih-Raff

Don't @ me

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    “Giraffe” isn’t, to my knowledge, an acronym that starts with “graphics”

And SCUBA underwater isn't oonderwater

and LASER amplification isn't AYmplification nor stimulated ztimulated

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

How do you pronounced gift? Jift?

• Options
    urahonky wrote: »

English is a bad language!

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Gifraff.

vamen on
  • Options

Yeah I have a young one who is learning how to read and like 20% of the time you can tell her to sound it out. The other 80% of the time I'm like "yeah, yet ANOTHER trick word".

• Options
    edited February 2020

Yeah I have a young one who is learning how to read and like 20% of the time you can tell her to sound it out. The other 80% of the time I'm like "yeah, yet ANOTHER trick word".

"Although difficult, English can be understood through tough thorough thought, though."

vamen on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    My absolute favourite limerick in english. It really needs to be both heard and read to get the full joke, but here it is.

There was an old woman from Slough (rhymes with cow)
    Who had a most terrible cough
    She wasn't to know
    It would last until now
    Let's all hope she pulls through

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Trajan45Trajan45 Registered User regular
    Finally finished this. Got it for Christmas back in 2018 and took me to 2020 to finally boot it up. The first half was a struggle. Maybe I'm not the target group, as I've read folks with kids identify with it more, but I'd play for a bit then leave it for a week, before forcing myself back in. IDK what it was, the Mountain section in particular was really bad. Alfheim and Freya's area were the parts that kept me going, from an art and design perspective.

But once I got the Blades back, oh boy. Man did the game just do a 180! Helheim was still a bit of a slog, but otherwise, I ended up finishing the back 50% in a week. The ending was amazing and now I can't wait for the next one. I think part of the issue is that I'm not an open world fan of story driven games. The early parts with you rowing about doing side quests and stuff, I started getting bored of really quick. I ended up just stopping all side quests and maybe that helped with the enjoyment.

I'm not qualified to judge combat, I've gotten terrible at these games as I've gotten older. I just end up mashing buttons and these games aren't responsive enough like a fighter game to do 1 to 1, so I never really feel like I'm in control. I was super happy with the runic moves, as they really helped someone like me (plus Atreus spamming arrows lol). For the early game I mostly just used the R1 throw to "paint" targets, then while throwing it, I'd use shield slams to back it up. Once I had more Runic and more runic attacks, plus the Blades, I started enjoying combat a lot more. I tried Eir on accident and got plastered, so probably not going to try the Valkyries lol. Might try the other dragons just for the design aspect.

I'm interested to see where they go. Seems they have 6 games worth of content, but are looking at a trilogy. I wonder if they'll mirror the original games, Ares/Baulder in 1, Zeus/Thor in 2, and all out Gods attack in 3. It'll be interesting if they do a Red Dead where in 3 they finally move on from Kratos. Though they'll have to do something with Atreus combat, since in the mural he still had his bow and I don't think straight bow combat could be the focus of an entire game. Maybe dual daggers, faster combat than with Kratos. Given Atreus's gift for languages, I'd love to see them have him go the Tyr route and we get games in Japan, Mesopotamia, and Egypt post Kratos.

Anyways, it's the weirdest game I think I've played. I can't remember a game that I was fighting myself to keep playing only to get sucked 100% in so completely on the back half. I hope they really unleash the artists for the 2nd game and we get some better area's then "Mountain area" or "Forest area". Even though the graphical fidelity is crazy good in this vs the original games; those had you running through war zones, titans, and all sorts of interesting environments.

Origin ID\ Steam ID: Warder45
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    I am very excited to get this on PC in January and play it for the first time. What a nice birthday gift for me, specifically.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Glad to see PC players get to experience this game finally. It's very, very good. I probably won't double dip since it looks/plays great in the 60 FPS mode on PS5 but I'm very exited to see it come to PC for everyone else.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    I wonder how long until mods will let me play as a Ninja Turtle in place of Kratos.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I've had this sitting on disc forever and I keep meaning to play it. Do they explain how Kratos goes from Greece to Viking Land?

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Cruor wrote: »
    I wonder how long until mods will let me play as a Ninja Turtle in place of Kratos.

• Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited October 2021
    Andy Joe wrote: »
    Cruor wrote: »

I demand the part of Jormungandr be played by Thomas the Tank Engine to complete the Skyrim cross breeding.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    Arise Dad of War thread, for the PC release is upon us!

Runs like a damn dream on my system, though I guess that's to be expected with a 3090. I'm able to run it on full Ultra, but I found that Ultra Shadows makes my card use like 30w more power and causes the temps to spike to 80C, so I turned those down a tick. Still looks incredible and runs much closer to the 250-280W I like to keep this card (for longevity reasons).

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah, just bought this yesterday and played it last night for about two hours. I'm one of those rare people who have never owned a Playstation console, so this is my very first God of War game.

Gotta say... it's pretty fuckin rad so far. Looks incredible, runs well, and I'm already hooked on where the story will go from here. Really glad this PC port happened.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    I'm waiting to clear out a little of my backlog, but I am incredibly excited to finally get to play this game. I'm ready for it to destroy me emotionally because father/son dynamics in media always do me in.

• Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    This game is fun!
    Although Atreus must be mentally scarred; watching his dad beat a bunch of draugr up with his shield and then tearing them in half with his bare hands has got to leave a mark.

story remarks:
    man, poor freya. also fuck odin, he seems like a right twat.

edit:
    Thinking about it, if you drunkenly look at the opening sequence, Baldur could be a delivery driver on his last stop after a really, really bad day.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2022
    evilthecat wrote: »
    This game is fun!
    Although Atreus must be mentally scarred; watching his dad beat a bunch of draugr up with his shield and then tearing them in half with his bare hands has got to leave a mark.

story remarks:

edit:
    Thinking about it, if you drunkenly look at the opening sequence, Baldur could be a delivery driver on his last stop after a really, really bad day.

The best thing about Dad of War is how everything makes perfect sense in context of the whole story, including Baldur's initial dialog. It's so well written and strung together, that it was obvious someone had a tremendous amount of love and care for the story.

MAJOR SPOILER
    It's very clear that Baldur is there to visit Kratos' wife, who is of course the last remaining giant who has stayed behind to keep an eye on things. He is not expecting Kratos when he arrives and hence his dialog about being a bit confused by things. Kratos has no idea who this clown is and literally everything in the entire game wouldn't have happened if Baldur had just asked proper questions instead of being an utter twat - which we know from most Norse mythology wasn't likely to happen.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited January 2022
    I'm so glad that more people are getting to play this wonderful game. It's truly a modern masterpiece.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This game is fun!

story remarks:

edit:

The best thing about Dad of War is how everything makes perfect sense in context of the whole story, including Baldur's initial dialog. It's so well written and strung together, that it was obvious someone had a tremendous amount of love and care for the story.

MAJOR SPOILER
    It's very clear that Baldur is there to visit Kratos' wife, who is of course the last remaining giant who has stayed behind to keep an eye on things. He is not expecting Kratos when he arrives and hence his dialog about being a bit confused by things. Kratos has no idea who this clown is and literally everything in the entire game wouldn't have happened if Baldur had just asked proper questions instead of being an utter twat - which we know from most Norse mythology wasn't likely to happen.

Major spoilers continued
    I love the dramatic irony here, but I think everything still would have happened even if either or both had been open and honest. If Baldur said he was looking for Fey, would he have believed Kratos when he said he had just cremated her? Even if he did, would he believe Kratos when he denied he was a giant? Even if Kratos said "actually I'm a god from another nation," or (heaven forfend) "I'm a renowned godslayer," Baldur would have been thrilled to see if Kratos could hurt him. They may not have hunted them so avidly, but things would have still gone poorly.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    This game is fun!

story remarks:

edit:

MAJOR SPOILER

Major spoilers continued
    I love the dramatic irony here, but I think everything still would have happened even if either or both had been open and honest. If Baldur said he was looking for Fey, would he have believed Kratos when he said he had just cremated her? Even if he did, would he believe Kratos when he denied he was a giant? Even if Kratos said "actually I'm a god from another nation," or (heaven forfend) "I'm a renowned godslayer," Baldur would have been thrilled to see if Kratos could hurt him. They may not have hunted them so avidly, but things would have still gone poorly.

Further continuing major spoilers:
    One neat thing about Baldur’s dialogue there: it initially seems like he’s talking smack about Kratos as one god to another pantheon’s god. You think he’s talking about Greek gods when he’s mocking the supposed virtues of “your kind”. Including the line “you should never have come to Midgard.”

When in fact, he’s insulting the Giants, who he thinks Kratos is one of.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    It’s just got so many layers, LIKE AN ONION!

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Finally finished this, four years later and on PC. Not sure why it took so long to click for me but this time around it finally did. Really enjoyed it overall. The story is great and really has me looking forward to Ragnarok to see where it goes.

• Options
    McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    PlayStation have just put a recap of the first game up on YouTube, which is nice because I'm not sure I'll have time for a replay beforehand. Spoilers for God of War (2018) obviously.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjucT-UZzgg

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185