As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] Lunacy Interesting Times!

18910111214»

• Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote: »
    Also "give me all your information and let me decide all the things" is just...bad.

Like why even play if you arent going to have any agency?

No one said that this game, though.
    You did.

You tried to do it twice.

I tried to make a role call, to suss out mafia. And recommended we do the thing that wouldn't have ended the game.

It's hardly "deciding all the things"

Also, when was starting a network a bad thing?

I thought we always did this....

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Bedlam is right in that a village network starting too quickly or becoming too dominant can lead to laziness/apathy from the rest of the village. Which both hurts the village's chances of winning and is also not particularly fun.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Locus wrote: »
    Bedlam is right in that a village network starting too quickly or becoming too dominant can lead to laziness/apathy from the rest of the village. Which both hurts the village's chances of winning and is also not particularly fun.

Completely agree. But, like, that level of control wasn't even suggested by me and I'm annoyed at that oblique attack by him on how I tried to play the game.

• Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Thanks for hosting 38th! Nice concept. Glad we could destroy everyone in the game.

I feel like if that possibility exists, we'll find a way to make it happen.

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    The real lesson is if you give people a blow up the world button, it will be clicked for shits and giggles.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Notes

The goal of this game was to make an engaging setup that wasn’t too much work for me. @Egos came in and helped me finalize the balance before the game went live. I managed to make a game where everyone had power and there were no role blocks which was a personal goal. So the game had seven apprentices who could move the moon either forwards, backwards, closer, or away each night. Five mafia who could do the same as well as have a number of kills and guards depending on the closeness of the moon. There was also a SK who could win if the moon crashed into the earth as well as by killing everyone. In order to help them reach the moon crash scenario, powers were boosted to all specials by moving the moon close. I had thought about letting the specials move the moon on their off days, but wanted to try and promote engagement. Maybe I should have put something into the special role pms to that effect.

The moon crashing into Earth wasn’t inserted as a table flip, it was inserted as different thinking on SK and a balance to too much power. Perhaps it wasn’t communicated well enough though. The moon actually could have crashed into earth faster, but it would require an increasing amount of points to move more than one space per night.

In my head specials and villagers would work together to move the moon to positions advantageous for the village, with mafia trying to disrupt. In practice this worked day 1, and then there was on average 1 apprentice who bothered to submit moon orders each day. Right up until the final day where there were 2 apprentices who didn’t submit orders and 1 in favor of the crash. I guess the power didn’t feel powerful without feedback from specials? I tried to stress in narration how important it was. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Possible lack of engagement based on not being a themed property. I think the moon is pretty interesting. I liked the idea of varying specials and timed activation. There were a lot of specials which is hard for the mafia, but they were all mostly not actively special. The narration photos mostly came from timeanddate.com. Hopefully someone learned something interesting about the moon during this nonsense. One thing I picked up on is that powers were confusing to people. Good job asking for clarifications though. It makes sense on my spreadsheet, but it was hard to transfer that to PM. Maybe images would have been the best bet. Please let me know what you liked, and what you didn’t and if you had any questions. Thank you @Egos for looking it over and thank you all for playing.

Oh I meant to work this in somehow, but it didn’t really go with the extinction of all life on earth ending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XrrxeerM44

I’ve been playing a good amount of Super Metroid lately while sick. Might run something based on that again.

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    As an apprentice it was difficult for me to understand where the moon was positioned on the close/far scale. We had a graph for phases, I think we also needed a graph for position.

Even with ZH giving me his starting point - I couldn’t tell if the moon moved one place closer or two places closer.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    As an apprentice it was difficult for me to understand where the moon was positioned on the close/far scale. We had a graph for phases, I think we also needed a graph for position.

Even with ZH giving me his starting point - I couldn’t tell if the moon moved one place closer or two places closer.

We definitely needed a graphic for how close/far it was. But I guess maybe the ambiguity was the point?

• Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    ??
    I thought the narration conveyed this well.
    Normal, perigee, perigee+1, perigee+2, perigee+3

discrider on
  • Options
    MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    I just asked for clarification on the moon position

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    MamaWolf wrote: »

I did too but for apprentices that didn't have powers based on position they didn't rally have any reference to "where on the list" things were. I think that's what people are referring to.

• Options
    JPants wrote: »
    MamaWolf wrote: »

I did too but for apprentices that didn't have powers based on position they didn't rally have any reference to "where on the list" things were. I think that's what people are referring to.

Gizzy had ZH's list...
    I guess the perigee talk confused things a little, but then it went perigee+2 in night 3 narration.

• Options
    GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    Reading this:

The Moon's orbit around Earth is elliptical. The point of the orbit closest to Earth is called perigee, while the point farthest from Earth is known as apogee.

Then seeing this (from ZH, so all the other apprentices were completely in the dark unless someone shared with them):

Close
    Seer
    Seer
    Seer
    Vote+1/ .5 Seer
    CURRENT .5 Seer
    .5 Seer
    Vote+.5
    Far

This is what I assumed it meant:

Close- perigee
    Seer
    Seer
    Seer
    Vote+1/ .5 Seer
    .5 Seer
    .5 Seer
    Vote+.5
    Far- apogee

Day 3 was when I realized it had only been moving one space each time - then I died.

I didn’t bother asking clarification bc this wasn’t my role info.

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • Options
    JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    I think it was actually

Close-
    Seer
    Seer
    Seer
    Vote+1/ .5 Seer perigee
    .5 Seer Start
    .5 Seer apogee
    Vote+.5

Far-

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Yes. You were also able to fling the moon into space resulting in now powers for anyone.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    I lived confused and I died confused, but thank you very much for running it 38thDoe!

• Options