As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's MARVEL, baybee. X-Men on fire! Black Widow in May! Sam and Bucky in August!

BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
IT'S MARVEL

Marvel's comics are in...pretty good shape right now, honestly. At least on a "how good are the books" scale. Hickman's X-Men relaunch has revitalized the line in a way that hasn't been done in decades, Aaron is going buckwild in Avengers, Immortal Hulk and Daredevil are in the running for best runs with those characters ever and lots of standalone greats like Black Cat and Hawkeye are hanging around.

Movie-wise, Marvel's got 2 movies this year: Black Widow in May and The Eternals in November. The last Fox X-Men film is also dropping in April, the much delayed New Mutants. Also, Sam Raimi is probably directing Doctor Strange 2 which is BANANAS.

Marvel is expanding its TV presence with 2 Disney+ series out this year: Falcon and Winter Soldier in August and WandaVision in December. In 2021 they will launch Loki and potentially Ms. Marvel and Moon Knight.

Also Marvel is part of a giant horrifying monolith of a corporation and also has an extremely problematic and shitty editorial board.

Marvel!

CYpGAPn.png

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Read Miles, Kamala, and Ant-Man yesterday, all very satisfying!

Ant-Man had less Stinger than I’d hoped, but it looks great and is very funny

Very excited for Outlawed and Strange Academy

• Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Marauders was great as usual. Callisto has become pretty chill compared to her old version. She was quite understanding of the whole Marauders thing and I loved her interaction with Jumbo.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    So X-Men/Fantastic Four was even better than I hoped (and I had pretty high hopes since Zdarsky has proven to be one of the best writers working today and the Dodsons are one of my fave superhero art teams) and I was thoroughly impressed.

It pulls off one of the hardest tricks in superhero comics: a Super-Team vs. Super-Team book where both sides have justified points, rash decisions and conflicting views both with each other and from within their own factions.
    tlnae3ez6qs7.jpg
    a2hprshvwm82.jpg

The teams throw down for a bit while Kate talks to Franklin about how he should make the decision on his own terms and he chooses to try out Krakoa.
    o6hzc1vq31jf.jpg
    tx6dyvg92hry.jpg

Franklin is pissed Reed violated his personal identity without permission and the other F4 aren't happy either
    vigoiif18066.jpg

The issue ends with Franklin and Val stowing away on Kate's ship, only for Doctor Doom to arrive on the scene asking to speak with Xavier.

I think the biggest thing for me is how everyone feels completely in character. Usually there is some character bending for these conflicts but everyone feels genuine and authentic, even Franklin who could have just been a whiny teen but instead feels like a compelling young character with agency.

Fucking loved it, top to bottom.

CYpGAPn.png
    The source of that is MCU Cosmic which is a misogynist fansite with zero cred

I wouldn't be surprised if it happens because it is Hawkguy inspired but they are 10000% just guessing

CYpGAPn.png
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Zoe I am consistently impressed with how you keep all of these shitty comics news sites straight

There's so many of them and they all sound exactly the same

Look my brain is cursed and only retains utterly irrelevant nerd bullshit and any important knowledge is quickly lost

This is my burden

CYpGAPn.png
  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I just assume every fan site is full of shit but it gave me excuse to post a Tracksuit Mafia pic.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Zoe I am consistently impressed with how you keep all of these shitty comics news sites straight

As a general rule of thumb, all comic news sites are shitty

I used to like CBR but jesus they are a cesspit now. They got bought out and immediately became this:

e4mp499nfv61.jpg

CYpGAPn.png
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Hey don't do that in the house

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

Oh this is what I rely on, yeah.

Zoe comes in and can cite the reasons though.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I found their old design a lot saner and less touchscreen template barf.
    But I tend to check The Beat when I'm looking for some comic news details.
    Hopefully they're not shitty, I so far have no reason to think so.
    Mostly I just ignore the mess of a landing page, click comics and go from there.

The 4th (of 5) Giant Size X-Men one-shot is revealed and its a very rad surprise
    aa6zp23m3dro.jpg

Fantomex from Hickman and Rod Reis.

CYpGAPn.png
    What has Fantomex been up to lately?

Has he still been in the astral plane all this time, or did Xavier clone a new body and give him his back at some point?

What has Fantomex been up to lately?

Has he still been in the astral plane all this time, or did Xavier clone a new body and give him his back at some point?
    The former and I assume this is gonna show the latter

Per the solicit, he is gonna be breaking back into The World.

It is also very interesting because he isn't ACTUALLY a mutant and is closer to the Omega Sentinel style future evolutions of humanity the mutants are fearing

So his being resurrected would be...unusual.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    I would think that given what we have seen of Xavier since the HoXPoX era started that at some point he grew himself a new body and left Fantomex's, but that hasn't been shown explicitly on panel

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    It's pretty clear that Xavier is Bastion now

With a Sinister gem? I don't know what Sinister gems do

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    He has been shown without the helmet on multiple times now, dude is regular Charles

I think at this point he is the real deal, it is to integral to the status quo

CYpGAPn.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    He has been shown without the helmet on multiple times now, dude is regular Charles

I think at this point he is the real deal, it is to integral to the status quo

Xavier being a jerk is canon, he doesn't need Sinister to be an asshole.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I just had a thought... have they done a "Miles get sent back in time, hangs with teenager Peter Parker" storyline yet?

Yup, with the Generations one-shot issues they did a couple years ago:

300?cb=20170927172422

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular

I know it’s like “what else is he gonna say” but it’s still nice when people get along and compliment each other

We don’t have a general comics thread but I’m almost done with the first volume of IDW’s Turtles and it is beautiful and fun and does a good job weaving its plot threads together

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    BlankZoe wrote: »
    Look my brain is cursed and only retains utterly irrelevant nerd bullshit and any important knowledge is quickly lost

This is my burden

"My gift, my curse."

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    re: X-Men/FF:
    1, Magneto should not be calling Franklin "son" in front of his actual parents.
    2, Reed should count himself lucky he didn't get wished into the cornfield there at the end.

Commander Zoom on
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Issues 1-4 of some of the X-books (X-Men, X-Force, Marauders, Excalibur, New Mutants) on sale on Comixology for a buck each.

Highly recommend X-Men and Marauders

The rest are also good and worth reading but those two are the head of the pack to me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    New Mutants and Marauders for me with the caveat that New Mutants quality is highly fluctuating because it's really 2 books with different creative teams. (So just get issues 1and2 and 5 later on.)

Excalibur is fun but made for me personally. Fallen Angels is the only one I wouldn't recommend.

Dizzy D on
    Steam/Origin: davydizzy
    Hahahahaha god @Rorshach Kringle continues to get everything they want
    507gq4xid288.jpg

A 5 issue Juggernaut mini from Fabian Nicieza and Ron Gaffney, following Cain getting out of limbo (from War of the Realms) only to fine that while he's been gone mutants have made a paradise.

And he can't join.

Despite being a member of the X-Men, around mutants his entire life and Xavier's brother, he can't live on Krakoa and get the amnesty his formerly villainous pals got because he isn't actually a mutant.

So, what does he do now?

CYpGAPn.png
    That's a fantastic pitch, especially in the way in whch it ties into the larger mutant narrative being created.

Yeah Nicieza is a real hit or miss writer for me but that is SUCH a good hook for a Juggernaut story right now I'll probably grab it

Ron Garney on art is always very welcome too

CYpGAPn.png
    I think Nicieza's got a pretty solid track record, he's just been kind of slumming it with coporate advertisement comics for a while now

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    it's not just that it's that juggernaut book

it's that juggernaut book being written by my boy, fabian that really makes it just for me

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Hahahaha fuck

Okay that pose is utterly ridiculous and also whips ass

CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2020
    Oh rad. I hope that sword sticks around; I feel like there isn't much to compete with Cap's shield and Thor's hammer in the field of iconic objects of incredible power. Silver Surfer's board is the only thing that comes to mind right now.

Undead Scottsman on
    It looks like Tom Taylor will be writing an X-Book in the near future, as he is writing the B-Story for this year's FCBD X-Men issue which will set up a future story from him.

It is genuinely impressive how well that dude has been able to work for both Marvel and DC for so long

Nowadays most writers are one or the other and exclusive contracts are common, but here he is writing Spider-Man, Suicide Squad and X-Men in the same year.

CYpGAPn.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The Cosmic cube and infinity gauntlet are pretty iconic but you don’t really swing em around at mooks.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Nega Bands aren't probably known well enough to be iconic, right?

This discussion has been closed.