[Family] Thread

1798081828385»

• I ZimbraI Zimbra Colorful Extrovert Registered User regular
    Goddamn, my father in law's wife died of a brain aneurysm today. Keeled over coming out of church right in front of their 15 year old son. I cannot even imagine what he is going through now.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist rugged, weathered Registered User regular
    Wow, that's horrible. Those things are the worst because of how unexpected they are.

Peace to you and your family.

mrpakuXaquinBouwsTlonelyahavaMadicanchromdomtynicgodmodeFishmanNightDragonPeenDarth WaiterdjmitchellaTonkkaSkeithSlacker71ElvenshaeLabelbowencabsy
  • MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    edited January 4
    Fuuuuuck. Today is the 31 year anniversary of my mom’s death. I don’t remember her due to being three years old. I’m actually pretty calm about the whole thing.

My kid ran to me while I was having a shower, holding one of her necklaces, one with the letter J for her name and loudly proclaimed that she wanted to wear it today, and was very vocal about showing everyone it today.

The thing is, she’s never had much of an interest in jewelry, let alone this piece.

Took me a bit longer to finish my shower because I just started crying. I don’t believe in supernatural stuff, but man...

Muzzmuzz on
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited January 4
    What a fucking start to the new year. Fucking hell, ya'll need anything let people know because fuck.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN
    MuzzmuzzRingo
  • chromdomchromdom Why do bad things keep happening to me? Oh yeah, because of the things I've done.Registered User regular
    My friend died last night.
    She'd had Alzheimer's for awhile.
    She helped raise me, her son was my best friend for the first several years of school.
    She was nice, much nicer than my own family. I've missed her.
    I don't know if she suffered or if I should be glad that it's over for her. All I know is that she's gone.

• RingoRingo HE KEEPS REPEATING THE LINE I'M GONNA CRY BLEASE LET HIM LIVE YOU MADE ME WATCH SO MUCH KISSING IN THIS FILM LET INIGO LIVERegistered User regular
    My condolences, chromdom

Remember that all the awesome you carry with you and put out into the world is a part of her legacy by being there for you. Her kindness continues to bear fruit, which is something most of us would be proud of and aspire to

That said, losing a friend hurts. Be sure to seek support and practice awareness of when you're in need of self care. And I am sorry for your loss

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    lonelyahavamrpakuKetarRhesus PositivemightyjongyoJedocSorceXaquinDisruptedCapitalistgodmodeBouwsTI ZimbraThe Hanged ManTonkkaElvenshaeJaysonFourNightDragon
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I know we say "fuck cancer", but fuck Alzheimer's.

mts wrote: »
    heres how i see it being a total win situation for you
    1. stay with your wife while she dog sits. this wins husband points since she knows its out of your comfort zone
    2. have sex all over her friends house so that the next time you see her friend look at you condescendingly, you can wink back knowing you did the freaky deaky where she eats her cheerios.
    RingolonelyahavaFishmanKetarRhesus PositiveJedocSorceMagic PinkXaquinLord PalingtonDenadaPeenBouwsTchromdomI ZimbratynicGnizmoAnialosThe Hanged ManTonkkaElvenshaekimeJaysonFourMunkus BeaverJansonNightDragonBahamutZERO
  • chrishallett83chrishallett83 A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry for your loss, chromdom. Perhaps you can take solace in the fact that as she helped raise you, she has helped make the world a better place?

RingoXaquin
  • CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    My mom found a box containing her parents' love letters exchanged from August to September 1936. There aren't too many; after that he moved from Kansas to Wisconsin to look after his cousin's farm while the latter visited his father in Germany, and the letters stopped because they were spending time together in person. But what's there is adorable.

He was 27 and a farmer; she was 23 and a schoolteacher. They both have vocabulary and handwriting to put an English major to shame. (He'd wanted to be a pastor, but couldn't afford to finish seminary.) He was attracted to her because she was kind-hearted and spoke her mind (my words); she liked him because he was "pert" (their word), referring to his dry, irreverent sense of humor. There aren't really explicit declarations of love; but the mutual affection is obvious. They married in March 1937 and stayed together until he died in 2003.

My mom had no idea their courtship was so short. She said it makes her 9-month engagement to my dad - after 3 weeks of dating - look positively conservative :lol:

Jedoc wrote: »
    The GOP cares about babies until they're born, soldiers until they're in need of care, and families until they interfere with stockholder dividends.
    destroyah87mrpakulonelyahavaXaquinDenadaI ZimbraDarth WaiterLaOsGoose!GnizmoElvenshaeSatanic JesusDisruptedCapitalistkimeRhesus PositiveSkeithNightDragonBahamutZERO
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Here's a fun one, my dad dug up this article on Google News from the front page of the Sept. 2, 1977 issue of the Ludington Daily News, featuring my grandpa Bill with the 30lb 2.5oz chinook salmon that would go on to win the first annual Ludington Salmon Derby.

cl8dud35jsod.png

SorcecabsylonelyahavaJaysonFourI ZimbraSkeithchrishallett83SporkAndrewJedocTayamrpakuXaquinElvenshaeDisruptedCapitalistBouwsTSatanic JesusTonkkaCalicaFishmanLaOsNightDragonShorty
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist rugged, weathered Registered User regular
    edited March 17
    Oh just fucking great. My 73 year old mother is presumptive positive for COVID19. She seems ok* for now but the local board of health had ordered her quarantined for 14 days. Of course, they're awaiting tests if and when they'll be available.

*ok, as in, she's got a really bad dry cough and mild fever but otherwise is still able to take deep breaths.

DisruptedCapitalist on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I'm so sorry

hopefully it is something more manageable

JansonmrpakuBouwsTdjmitchellamightyjongyochromdomUsagiGoose!TonkkaSorceSatanic JesusMagic PinkPeenNightDragonShortyBahamutZEROCalica
  • BouwsTBouwsT Wanna come to a super soft birthday party? Registered User regular
    Hey all. Just got some news that I don't really know how to process. My Kiwi wife is doing a once in a lifetime hike in New Zealand (the Te Araroa). She's been gone for 6 months, so was really looking forward to her mid-April return. Starting March 30th, New Zealand is stopping all international flights, incoming and outgoing. All flights to Canada are full up, or despicably expensive and would require her to quit her hike within 10% of the finish line.

Luckily, she has family in the country and is a citizen, so this is arguably the second best place to ride this thing out, but I can't help but be a little shattered that I'll continue to be alone through this scare.

Keep your family close everyone, and try to see the silver linings in our new-found forced proximity. It feels like a very empty house at home.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
    Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    TayaDisruptedCapitalistXaquinSharpyVIImightyjongyoShortyElvenshaemrpakuRhesus PositiveKetarTonkkaBotznoySorceSporkAndrewlonelyahavaUsagiKetBraSkeithkimeBahamutZERO
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Hi Family thread, I have a bit of a moral issue I'd like to bounce off people

I have some relatives that live near me and are apparently preppers (this is kind of something I've suspected for a while but now know). They've got tons of food and supplies and have been messaging me over the last little while that they would like to give me some, so that I don't have to go shopping. I'm pretty financially stable and healthy and young, so I feel pretty bad taking food that other people could use. I'm thinking what I should do is take it and donate the food to the local food bank. That's the obvious play, right?

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I mean the ideal would be convincing them to do that themselves, but I'm assuming that's not a likely outcome. So yeah, that's probably the best thing you can do with those circumstances.

tynicNightDragonTonkka
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My sister and my father have been fighting because the state borders are getting locked down, but he keeps wanting to go over to NSW and work on the beach shack, and she's worried he might get stuck there (or made to do a 14 day full-on self-quarantine if he does come back, which is much more likely).

meanwhile i got a message from her this morning with what is clearly a photo from the beach. "Where are you exactly?" "At the shack."
    Right.

chrishallett83SkeithTonkka
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Hi Family thread, I have a bit of a moral issue I'd like to bounce off people

I have some relatives that live near me and are apparently preppers (this is kind of something I've suspected for a while but now know). They've got tons of food and supplies and have been messaging me over the last little while that they would like to give me some, so that I don't have to go shopping. I'm pretty financially stable and healthy and young, so I feel pretty bad taking food that other people could use. I'm thinking what I should do is take it and donate the food to the local food bank. That's the obvious play, right?

I mean, even if you are healthy there’s still a clear benefit to staying home and not going shopping. The idea of social distancing is not just for sick people, everyone staying home helps.

My advise would be to take it if they have extra, and use the money you saved to pay it forward when you have an opportunity.

PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    LabelMrGrimoireStraightziGnizmomrpakuchromdomKetBratynicKetarDisruptedCapitalistNightDragonSorceBahamutZEROSkeithElvenshaeRhesus PositiveTonkka
  • chromdomchromdom Why do bad things keep happening to me? Oh yeah, because of the things I've done.Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    My sister and my father have been fighting because the state borders are getting locked down, but he keeps wanting to go over to NSW and work on the beach shack, and she's worried he might get stuck there (or made to do a 14 day full-on self-quarantine if he does come back, which is much more likely).

meanwhile i got a message from her this morning with what is clearly a photo from the beach. "Where are you exactly?" "At the shack."
    Right.

Any possibility your sister went with your father?

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Haha no definitely not, they're not really speaking right now

(Also her paranoia is not really grounded because there's no way the ACT can shut itself off, there's too much intra-urban porosity on the east side. It's more the hypocrisy that gave me pause).

My mother is better now, so either she didn't have Corona Virus or she just had a mild case of it. Either way there is still no testing so who knows?

XaquinBahamutZEROKetBraBouwsTCalicachromdomFishmanSkeithElvenshaeSorcechrishallett83Rhesus PositiveTonkka
  • FishmanFishman The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia!" HAHAHAHAHAHAH-Registered User regular
    edited March 24
    My grandfather made the news (again):
    Six hundred schools to get Diary of Anne Frank in te Reo Maori

Six hundred schools across New Zealand will receive a free copy of Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl, now Te Rātaka a Tētahi Kōhine, in te Reo Māori.

The book was translated into te Reo in 2019 under the guidance of Anne Frank New Zealand in celebration of Frank's 90th birthday early last year.

Boyd Klap, chairman of Anne Frank New Zealand, said the story was as relevant today as it was 90 years ago.

With the rise of hate speech and acts of discrimination, and the current isolation rules around coronavirus, people could still learn a lot from Anne's story.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
    JedocI ZimbraLaOskimelonelyahavagodmodeXaquinmightyjongyotynicCalicamrpakuSharpyVIIThe Hanged ManSkeithUsagiPeenRanlinElvenshaeSorceSporkAndrewBouwsTchrishallett83DisruptedCapitalistLabelRhesus PositiveTonkka
    Learned a bit of family history from my mom while chatting about the virus. I already knew my grandmother was an orphan, but what I learned was that both her parents died from the Spanish Flu pandemic.

My grandmother was just 7 years old. Makes me sad to think someone that young could lose their parents so suddenly, but she was lucky to have a loving aunt to care for her afterwards.