As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MLP: Onto a comical new season

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Yeah, super bummed out here. Same deal. I was watching the info page like a hawk, but eventually I had to go to work. By the time I check back in, the playmats had evaporated.

I managed to get the cards, at least. But those playmats are goooooorgeous.

And my disappointment in humanity continues. About an hour or two ago, I got it in my head to check something...
    q4vzkoygdxvg.jpg

Yeah...I should've expected that.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    Friendship is profit.

(My Little Ferengi)

• TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    New* Fluffle Puff (with finale spoilers in it, if you've not gotten around to seeing the finale yet).

*Edit: I just realized this is made by someone other than Fluffymixer, the person who has made all the other Fluffle Puff animations (EqD is kinda bad at sourcing, and I didn't look close enough before posting).

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    So it turns out that the MLP MtG Cards are in Arena! Sort of.

You can get each of the card arts as virtual sleeves. They're priced at $3.99 of real, actual money, but the money DOES go to charity.
    And I am weak. I'll microtransaction the heck out my myself for the ability to have these ponies on display while playing silly card games.

9lNp5ww.png

VuIBhrs.png
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Speaking of which, I havn't checked in with the card game in a while, and apparently they're going to release the next sets as a free print & play expansion?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    New* Fluffle Puff (with finale spoilers in it, if you've not gotten around to seeing the finale yet).

*Edit: I just realized this is made by someone other than Fluffymixer, the person who has made all the other Fluffle Puff animations (EqD is kinda bad at sourcing, and I didn't look close enough before posting).

Fluffymixer has been pointedly separated from the pony community for over two years now, I think.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited October 2019
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Speaking of which, I havn't checked in with the card game in a while, and apparently they're going to release the next sets as a free print & play expansion?

Yeah - Enterplay lost their license to make the cards, and so they actually stopped after the last set, Friends Forever. No more product is being made or distributed at this point.

The reason the "next" set is going Print & Play is because it is essentially fan made. I've heard they have Enterplay's blessing on this, but it still feels weird. Plus, some of the cards I've seen spoiled for this fan-set are... well, let's just say they're pretty specifically not being made with balance in mind.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    So, spinoff series for FiM's coming out in 2020 called MLP: Pony Life.

https://youtu.be/SbW31AkTRzo

No, the dolls aren't part in the show as there's some actual animation in this starting around the :40 mark. As for what it's about:
    YjsWISh.jpg

The new MY LITTLE PONY: PONY LIFE show looks at the funny side of friendship. The new center of the world is Sugarcube Corner – just like going to a friend’s house after school, this is our ponies’ home away from home. Here, Pinkie Pie serves up frosted cupcakes to the best customers in the world— her friends! PONY LIFE episodes feature hilarious, “SLICE OF LIFE” stories that modern kids can relate to. The series is LOADED with magic, including a mysterious source of potions that Pinkie keeps hidden behind the bakery counter and breaks out when the need arises.

MLP Go.
    :rotate:

I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but boy howdy has the fandom at large had some opinions already.

Basically summarized by this image:
    IPg7WlC.jpg
    Not gonna lie, despite the fracas the memes have been pretty hilarious so far

VuIBhrs.png
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I may have teared up relistening/rewatching the posted-in-isolation ending song.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • InfamyDeferredInfamyDeferred Registered User regular
    I haven't watched anything since season 7 or so

and that still got me, damn

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what to make of it yet, but boy howdy has the fandom at large had some opinions already.

Basically summarized by this image:
    IPg7WlC.jpg
    Not gonna lie, despite the fracas the memes have been pretty hilarious so far
    womanyellingcat.jpg ?

BahamutZERO.gif
    Spent the evening rewatching some eps, shedding some "liquid pride", and thinking:
    If you'd told me, back in 2009, that one of my favorite shows of the next decade would be an iteration of My Little Pony...

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    WHOOP WHOOP WHOOP

EMERGENCY THREAD RESURRECTION

THIS IS NOT A TEST

ITS ACTUALLY HAPPENING

0GZ1yQz.jpg
    Written by Ian Flynn, James Asmus
    Illustrated by Tony Fleecs, Jack Lawrence
    96 Pages
    Release Date: November 3rd, 2020.

Ponies, Autobots, and Decepticons mix it up in this graphic novel mashup!

When Queen Chrysalis casts a spell looking for more changelings, she accidentally interferes with a malfunctioning Spacebridge! What's this mean for our favorite fillies? There are suddenly a bunch of Autobots and Decepticons in Equestria! And as the dust settles, Rarity and Arcee find themselves teaming up against a hostile Decepticon force.

Plus Spike and Grimlock; Pinkie Pie, Gauge, and Shockwave; Fluttershy, Discord, and Soundwave; Rainbow Dash and Windblade; and Optimus Prime and Twilight Sparkle all team up for more adventures.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
    Is this what they call "brand synergy"?

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    OK, so it seems this is a 4-issue mini series, being released weekly in May, and the November release is the collected edition. Here's the cover art with no lettering, and a couple of variants:

pb5moieopdxt.jpgxk7jp4dcwu9q.jpgticdrhwjy33l.jpg

Full credits are writers James Asmus, Ian Flynn, and Sam Maggs, and artists Casey W. Coller, Jack Lawrence, Sara Pitre-Durocher, Priscilla Tramontano, and Tony Fleecs.

Werewolf2000ad on
    steam_sig.png
    Yay! I was thinking November was a long time to wait.

Also, I need that Rarity cover in my life, goodness me.

VuIBhrs.png
    edited February 2020
    So it's 2020 and when it comes to crossing the threads on the PA forum, I shouldn't be surprised, but... uh...

Apparently China is using MLP to get out the word about the new Coronavirus. And they're using the Pony Life designs to do it.

No, I'm not kidding.

tRVYlpR.gif

xEcSaLg.gif

QXgG0VE.gif

IWC79uM.gif

BY6b7uY.gif

8NlYhqF.gif

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    edited April 2020
    Hi Folks. It's been a while since this thread was bumped, but I feel like we need a bit of goodness and light in our lives these days.

Pony conventions, like all other conventions and gatherings these days, have been hit hard by the notable current global situation. I know I was very much looking forward to BABSCon, but was nevertheless relieved when it was canceled. It wasn't the only convention to reschedule or cancel, and it's likely to not be the last one, either. That's a bummer for an attendee like me, obviously, but it's positively devastating to vendors and artists who make a living on the back of the merchandise and commissions they sell in the vendor halls!

TNC, you say, this isn't positive at all. And you're right.

But what IS positive, is that your favorite pony conventions are doing a bang-up job of bringing the fun and community online! Numerous conventions are currently planned for online fun, with panels being broadcast over Twitch, and artists selling their goods over Discord and Etsy!

Ponyfest Online just had their second convention this past weekend. It was good fun, with interesting panels and actual big name guests! They had Lena Hall, Amy Keating Rogers, M. A. Larson, and more. They had a renegade stage and a concert. They had a director's commentary for the latest Anthology. And they had a vendor hall with all kinds of goodies and great stuff. They're currently planning for a return convention on May 30th, if you want to check them out!

BABSCon may have been pushed back to 2021 (and with good reason), but they're planning to make up the gap in 2020 with an online convention on May 8th and May 9th!

And if you can't wait that long, this weekend, May 1st and May 2nd, the first Mid Air Ponyfair will be going on! They have a tremendous list of community guests, and a promise of a fun schedule.

If you want something bright and colorful to take your mind off of things in the coming weeks, I highly recommend checking out the conventions as you have the opportunity. No badge costs, no air travel, no hotel costs, and best of all - meals are as close as your kitchen! No more taking 2 hours to find food on foot in an unfamiliar location. You can jam out to concerts, chat with good folks, and watch some hilarious and interesting panels.

The impetus behind all this is really to help vendors recoup their costs. They're the lifeblood of our community, and they continue to make some excellent and wonderful things for us all. If you have the chance and the inclination, you can get some really great pony merch or some commissions. And you'll be helping some folks who are really getting hit hard by the current situation. Plus, you get cute pony stuff!

Hopefully it can be an enjoyable and wonderful time.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
    In additional and vaguely-pony related news, crowd-funded and originally MLP branded fighting game Them's Fightin' Herds release their 1.0 version today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEBOSUOLTXM

Updated animations! Various fixes! Pixel Lobbies! The long awaited and finally delivered STORY MODE!

If you haven't checked the game out in a while and it's in your library, give it a look today.

Go throw some hooves.

VuIBhrs.png
    Tomorrow morning at 10 AM PDT! IDW comics folks will be talking with the BABSCon folks via livestreaming to discuss MLP season 10 comics, with some sneak peeks!

Want some Guests of Honor, everypony?

Tomorrow 10:00–11:00AM PDT, @jrome58 & @AndyPriceArt (hopefully!) talk w/ @BronalystSweetB about the Season 10 comics & IDW stuff generally, complete with a BABS-exclusive sneak-peek at pages & character designs!

VuIBhrs.png
    There are also going to be Transformers, Ghostbusters and D&D versions.

iowpfgacyajo.jpg
    osen4a24zy5b.jpg
    urd3ccgivtkj.jpg

steam_sig.png
    A little surprised at the decision to go with G1 designs, but those are still pretty super cool!

VuIBhrs.png
    Ghostbusters and Transformers are also 80's properties, so that kind of makes sense at least.

steam_sig.png
    The start date is still a touch up in the air, but the rollout has started on the official video promos for Pony Life. This seems kind of promising, actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVanMdU12nE
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L56_Ady9u84
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWgjDxu2gLY
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq7tYFBNvk

steam_sig.png
    so, basically they're just leaning way into/dialing the "quirks" up to 11 for comedy?

edited June 2020
    Ah, yes. Teen Titans Go Pony Life.

Hilarious observation: They have promo videos for all of the mane six... except AppleJack.

I'm still going to give it a watch! I'll go in with low expectations, and hope to be pleasantly surprised.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    I'm all for letting kid's shows be pure comedies but between this and the thundercats reboot it feels like people are really trying to make the teen titans go lightning strike twice

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    I'm willing to let this go if we can get a MLP version of 'Teen Titans Vs Teen Titans Go' with the previous generations tossed in as a bonus.

steam_sig.png
    So I saw the Pony Life premiere and uh... I, uh, I'm not sure it's for me. It's kind of over the top in every way, starts at 11 and never goes down from there. The animation feels budget, and the writing feels all over the place. It's extremely fast, and feels somehow much more shallow than I'm used to from the show?

There's so much yelling. So much yelling!

Despite that the VAs are on point as ever, though, I'll admit that. They have these characters nailed down. I'll probably keep watching just to see where it goes and how it evolves, and I admit that my opinion is absolutely only that, my opinion. It really could be someone else's jam!

Regardless, though, this show is going to be premium meme fodder.

VuIBhrs.png
  • ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    I know it's been going on for awhile now but there are still plenty of events left to go-including a casual-dress Grand Galloping Gala next week. There's been a ton of amazing folks hanging out in the sim so far. If you're into Second Life or interested in getting into it to hang out check out https://www.slponycon.com/

Here's a few pics I've taken of the event. csecn4at0fyq.png
    reqgw7ofoj4s.png

Holy wow. I've never used Second Life before, but that looks impressive and awesome! Most of the virtual cons/events I've been attending have been exclusively of the streaming & Discord variety. They've been neat, particularly because of the access to awesome vendors selling awesome stuff, but they've also been overwhelming. It's practically impossible to keep up with the speed of the Discord channels, and equally impossible to talk with anyone.

Having a virtual event with avatars in a virtual space looks amazing. Thank you for sharing those pictures!

VuIBhrs.png
    edited June 2020
    Okay, this isn't a pleasant topic - and I'm sure it almost feels off topic in this thread, but it's sadly very much extremely relevant.

I think it's worth discussing the recent article from the Atlantic about the larger fandom. It doesn't apply to this board at all, and it is unpleasant, so I'll spoiler the whole thing. But I just have to discuss it somewhere.
    The Atlantic ran an article yesterday entitled "My Little Pony Fans Are Ready to Admit They Have a Nazi Problem". Anyone who's been hanging around the fandom, or even has been peripheral to it, is probably already familiar with this phenomenon. The article itself is worth a read.

From another perspective, I basically saw this debacle go down in real time. When the BLM protests started gaining momentum, art with BLM supporting themes was slowly trickling in to the community image repository Derpibooru - And subsequently being annihilated in the comments and the votes. People didn't want 'politics' in their pony (which is ridiculous when you consider the message and events of the series - particularly the final season). Yet, if you searched, you could find all kinds of nasty, overtly racist art with plenty of votes and praise.

Derpibooru eventually took the middling stance that "art submitted to generate controversy" was banned. Which was made slightly better by the fact that they consider BLM themed images NOT generated for controversy, but overt attacking of BLM to fall under the controversial category. They aren't about to purge the site of the MAGA hat wearing art, or the overt racism, though.

The Atlantic's article is good, but it's late on the scene (Which isn't to blame them, it's to say the fandom has had this problem for a long time). Just a few months ago, one of the fandom's most talented artists and animators - One who's series-ending animated parody of "The Producers" made the rounds and was praised even by the show runners themselves - made a piece of art depicting AppleJack as a plantation owner, with Zeebras working on her farm. The show's heavy handed coding of Zeebras as being African is undeniable, so the implications of this extremely racist piece of art were blatant and disgusting.

This piece of art brought all the racists out of the woodwork, and it unfortunately garnered them allies in the "It's Just A Joke" camp. The back and forth was bitter and awful, and a lot of ties were cut with a lot of people, particularly with regard to some extremely popular artists who were exposed as being filthy holy-shit levels of racist in their own Discord servers and artwork.

Before that, I remember a few episodes I experienced in person, even. BABSCon 2016 and 2017 both held some extremely disturbing events I witnessed. In 2017 while in line for autographs, the person in front of me was wearing a "Make Equestria Great Again" hat. I had no interest in talking with him, but he absolutely wanted to discuss his hat with me. He further took great joy in telling me all about how he and his friends enacted targeted harassment against certain fandom names. And how they all loved "Aryanne", a fandom character that is - no lie - just a fucking Nazi pony. In 2016, a group of fans all wearing 4chan scarves and MAGA hats paraded through the lobby of the hotel, holding signs that said "Build the Wall" and "Send the Zeebras Home". That same year I remember seeing someone essentially in full Nazi cosplay (thinly veiled - no swastika on their armband, but they had a placeholder symbol and it was obvious).

Given the fact that the fandom for this show had a significant genesis on 4chan in 2010, it's not terribly surprising that this element exists within the community. What is surprising, and what is further disappointing, is the utter and complete lack of pushback any of them have received. These assholes should have been kicked to the curb and made unwelcome from the start. Derpibooru should never had tolerated the artwork they now host. And yet nothing happened - Partly because of free speech fundamentalists, and that old chestnut of an argument that anyone should be able to say anything. That argument is dead and gone, because at present it's quite easy to see that such an attitude allows Nazis and other shitheads to breed freely.

Make no mistake, the racists "jokes" and irony put forth by something like a Nazi pony is not what it seems on the surface. That's only there to deflect criticism, as a retreat to "It's only a joke" and "Where's your sense of humor" when they are called out on it. What it does is, once enamored, it provides an in-road to extremism and the alt-right. Excuse me, it provides an in-road to white supremacist recruitment. There have been well documented accounts of this - And this is the game they are playing at. The community interested in MLP includes a population of vulnerable, isolated, lonely young men - And these fascists have found that to be fertile ground to find new members.

It is at once sad, and nothing new. This is something that creeps in at the edges of almost any fandom, and we've seen it happen time and time again over the last decade. The difference is that, in the pony community, no pushback of any substance has ever been had. I suppose that's partly out of fear. I'll admit to my own failings: I've always been so afraid of retaliation, dog-piling, and ostracisation that I've always kept my mouth shut in these circumstances. Because the moment you speak out against it, that's the moment that suddenly you're getting messages from people you've never heard of, harassing you and trying to make you miserable. But a unified front against them is the only path forward. Communities like Derpibooru need to push back in no uncertain terms, and make racists and fascists uncomfortable and unwelcome. Conventions need to state outright that they will not tolerate this shit, and eject people who thumb their nose at that idea.

It's ten years too late, and the rot has become so endemic to this community that I halfway believe there's no reversing course. But ponies are still important to me, and I know many good and wonderful people still within the community. So for that, I say:

Nazi ponies FUCK OFF.

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited June 2020
    A fairly relevant video for that article and the subsequent discussion surrounding it and other fan forums.

https://youtu.be/P55t6eryY3g

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited June 2020
    Yeah, IMO, the natural reaction to coming across this sort of thing is to avert one's eyes and edge away uncomfortably. And the people doing that like it, because it gives them (a feeling of) power, which they probably don't have elsewhere in their lives. Even when the reaction they provoke is angry and confrontational rather than fearful, uncomfortable and avoidant, they're unlikely to face real consequences for it - they can deflect with the "joke" excuse, or get into the argument that some are looking for, but they're probably not going to actually end up hurt.

Commander Zoom on
    Funny how 99% of "ironic" bigotry turns out to just be regular bigotry that hurriedly plays fart noises and canned laughter when it discovers it's doing its schtick in front of the wrong person, ain't it?

steam_sig.png
    edited July 2020
    So, in the wake of the Atlantic article, Derpibooru decided that maybe it was time to ban outright depictions of Nazi and the glorification of hateful acts, bigotry, nazism, etc.

In response to their ban on Nazi depictions and hate speech, a huge swath of the community staged a walk out - Essentially the artists requested to be put on a Do No Post list, forbidding their art from being posted on Derpi. They also harassed the hell out of the administrators and moderators, and had a HUGE thread where they complained about their right to free speech being trampled.

To be clear - They said "You banning Nazi art is BAD, and we demand you allow it again". Yes, really.

In response to the outcry, today Derpi completely reversed course. That means: Nazi art, and art depicting gas chambers and the like, are A-Okay from here on in. On a pony art site.

I'm so sick in my heart about this. It feels like the shithead white supremacists outnumber the decent people and I feel absolutely defeated and utterly sad. I lost my longest and closest friend over this, too.

This isn't hard. Nazi shit doesn't belong in a pony community. Why is this such a controversial issue? Why do evil people keep winning EVERYwhere?

TetraNitroCubane on
    VuIBhrs.png