As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Larry Nassar, USA Gymnastics, and Michigan State : Sports Abuse Scandals

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    jothki wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Former patients will receive a minimum of $2,500. Those willing to provide further details about their allegations could receive $250,000.

Ugh...

How would you prefer it be handled? Blindly subdivided?

That would probably be preferable to putting the victims on trial, which is what "willing to provide further details" is going to mean in this kind of context.

(Also it's a university reaching an abuse settlement so I'm assuming there's gag orders involved for everyone else.)

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    jothki wrote: »
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Former patients will receive a minimum of $2,500. Those willing to provide further details about their allegations could receive $250,000.

Ugh...

How would you prefer it be handled? Blindly subdivided?

That would probably be preferable to putting the victims on trial, which is what "willing to provide further details" is going to mean in this kind of context.

(Also it's a university reaching an abuse settlement so I'm assuming there's gag orders involved for everyone else.)

Since it's going to all of his patients, it makes sense to find some way to discriminate between people he actively harmed and people who he was probably just kind of skeezy towards. If it makes the difference between his greatest victims getting $250,000 and his greatest victims getting the same $12,000 or so that everyone else gets, it might be worth it.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    When I said "putting the victims on trial" I don't think I was being hyperbolic. That's the rule, not the exception, in just about anything involving sexual assault, and this is a case of a school (and remember how great most of the schools are being about this sort of thing) being liable for a quarter million dollars for one of those said victims if they're willing to come forward. In the cases of any who do, the school will fight tooth and nail to avoid that, and a good chunk of that is going to involve attacking the victims.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    When I said "putting the victims on trial" I don't think I was being hyperbolic. That's the rule, not the exception, in just about anything involving sexual assault, and this is a case of a school (and remember how great most of the schools are being about this sort of thing) being liable for a quarter million dollars for one of those said victims if they're willing to come forward. In the cases of any who do, the school will fight tooth and nail to avoid that, and a good chunk of that is going to involve attacking the victims.

They're already liable for $215 million no matter what. I'd hope that they have no ability to get any of that back, and the requirements are just to screen out who gets to be in a smaller pool of people who get $250,000 instead of $2,500.

• Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    I mean, if every victim gets the minimum and there's money left over, where do you expect that to go? If every victim gets the maximum and the settlement doesn't cover that much, what do you expect to happen?

I think it's silly to look at this situation, at this time in America, and not immediately understand that USC absolutely has a motive to acknowledge as few victims as possible

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    We've got a trial now for Blackwell who was let go after a MSU football player raped a woman.
    Blackwell’s lawyers have argued he's being made a scapegoat by a university eager to make a statement when he was dismissed in May 2017 following a campus party at which three players allegedly sexually assaulted a female.

Dantonio said Blackwell was let go over “philosophical differences,” even though Michigan State's recruiting rankings had never been higher — Blackwell brought connections from his popular Sound Mind Sound Body football camps — and Blackwell's personnel file showed not one negative comment.

The interesting thing is that Dantonio was actually deposed for the lawsuit. This boggles the mind as usually universities do not want their head coach anywhere near a lawyer asking them questions on the record. A settlement never happened which is also astonishing in cases such as these. Hopefully, more of what MSU did and didn't do will come out though most of the depositions are under seal.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Dantonio retired earlier this week.

In other news, the Michigan Attorney General's office has announced another investigation into MSU, this time into Bailey Kowalski's alleged rape by three basketball players.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Finally

I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    They just need to take the equivalent of legal bleach in there and just give MSU sports a good scrubdown.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    ani_game_bumani_game_bum Optimistic, Rule-Breaking Nice Guy The Final World/DestinationRegistered User regular
    Posted on ESPN.com a couple of days ago:

Former USOPC VP of Sports Medicine files whistle-blower retaliation lawsuit against Olympic org for questioning abuse cases to top brass
    ESPN.com wrote:
    Among the allegations in (Dr. Bill) Moreau's lawsuit:

• In the spring of 2018, at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, Moreau said, a statutory rape occurred involving a 15-year-old female Paralympic athlete. The incident was mishandled by USOPC officials who failed to recognize a crime had even occurred when first reporting it to the U.S. Center for SafeSport. The offender in that case was later suspended by the center for "sexual misconduct involving a minor."

• In January 2019, Moreau said, the USOPC failed to dismiss a male strength and conditioning coach after he was spotted naked in a sauna by a female athletic trainer at the USOPC's Colorado Springs training center. The sauna was not in a locker room setting but rather was accessible to both male and female athletes, and the under-18 women's gymnastics team was training at the facility at the time of the incident.

• In February 2019, Moreau said, top USOPC executives failed to heed his warnings to provide psychiatric care to an Olympic cyclist, who at the time was suicidal. The athlete died by suicide a day after "Moreau's plea for urgent action," according to the lawsuit.

Dr. Moreau also was directly involved with Nassar, openly questioning his examination practices during the London 2012 Olympics.
    "In front of one of my colleagues, I told Larry Nassar to his face ... I told him it was safer for him ... I just said, you know, 'You need to treat in the big clinic where there's people around you ... and it's not good practice to treat people, juvenile females, in a one-on-one situation without a chaperone.'"

Moreau said Nassar explained that Marta Karolyi, the coordinator for the women's artistic program, wouldn't allow gymnasts to be treated in the USOPC's central medical clinic.

In follow-up visits, two of which were unscheduled, Moreau said he observed Nassar treating gymnasts in an open area, while Team USA athletic trainer Debbie Van Horn was also present.

"I thought, 'Well, you have a male, you have a female. It's in an open bay. Multiple athletes around here. I guess this is about as safe as it can get,'" Moreau said he concluded at the time.

What Moreau didn't know when he signed off on Nassar's treatment methods was that Nassar had sexually assaulted every member of the so-called "Fierce Five," the team that won gold in London.

Team USA gymnasts Aly Raisman, McKayla Maroney, Jordyn Wieber, Gabby Douglas and Kyla Ross have all since come forward publicly to identify as survivors of Nassar's sexual assaults.

Moreau said he was "crushed" by the revelations.

Personally, I don't think I can stomach watching the Olympics later this year. I don't even think we should attend an Olympics until we get these abuse cases out in the open and hold the abusers and those who enable them accountable.

Unfortunately, we must win at all costs... :sad:

steam_sig.pngPSN: ani_game_bum Battle.net ID: Anigamebum#1354 Genshin UID: 660694297 Switch FC: SW-2127-8288-6505 Steam Wishlist
  • Options
    lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular

In other news, the Michigan Attorney General's office has announced another investigation into MSU, this time into Bailey Kowalski's alleged rape by three basketball players.

You missed out on the retirement coming just after he got his retention bonus of $4 million.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • Options
    lwt1973 wrote: »

You missed out on the retirement coming just after he got his retention bonus of $4 million.

I didn't miss it because that's garden variety douchebaggery. He quit because of the deposition.

• Options
    tinwhiskerstinwhiskers Registered User regular
    The middle one kind of confuses me, not a regular sauna person myself but I've always understood saunaing to be something you do naked. Maybe that's just all the crazy Fins in the UP influencing me. Was there a nearly frozen lake near by?

6ylyzxlir2dz.png
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    You do it wrapped in a towel, not hanging in the breeze.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    My understanding is that many people do it naked. However, if an activity is typically done naked, then if the facility offers a high likelihood of members of the opposite sex being around, and particularly minors of the opposite sex, then you either do that activity while not naked, or don't do it at all.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Jim Jordan was so confident of being exonerated in the OSU wrestling scandal that he pressured the brother of one of the victims to not corroborate his brother's claims:
    A former Ohio State University wrestler has accused Rep. Jim Jordan of pressuring him not to corroborate his own brother’s story of alleged sexual abuse at the hands of the team’s doctor. Jordan was an assistant coach for the wrestling team in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s and has been accused of turning a blind eye to rampant sexual abuse while he was there.

The accusation came from Adam DiSabato, the brother of Mike DiSabato, who was the first former student-athlete to reveal the alleged abuse by team doctor Richard Strauss. Strauss, who died by suicide in 2005, is thought to have sexually abused more than 170 male students over two decades. In a public hearing for Ohio’s state legislature on Tuesday, Adam DiSabato condemned Jordan as a “coward” who tried to suppress the story even after his brother Mike came forward in 2018.

“Jim Jordan called me crying, crying, groveling, on the Fourth of July, begging me to go against my brother, begging me, crying for half an hour,” DiSabato said. “That’s the kind of coverups going on here.”

He said that Jordan called him repeatedly, in a panic. “I had to have my lawyer call him, telling him to stop calling me.”

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
  • Options

Good. Another good part of this is the jury seeing right through one of the most disgusting strategies by abusers against their victims - that if they don't have perfect recollection, then they're lying.

Even though she won't get the time she truly deserves, this sends a message to other coaches - cover abuse up, and it's your ass in the sling.

• Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    Jim Jordan was so confident of being exonerated in the OSU wrestling scandal that he pressured the brother of one of the victims to not corroborate his brother's claims:
    A former Ohio State University wrestler has accused Rep. Jim Jordan of pressuring him not to corroborate his own brother’s story of alleged sexual abuse at the hands of the team’s doctor. Jordan was an assistant coach for the wrestling team in the late ‘80s and early ‘90s and has been accused of turning a blind eye to rampant sexual abuse while he was there.

The accusation came from Adam DiSabato, the brother of Mike DiSabato, who was the first former student-athlete to reveal the alleged abuse by team doctor Richard Strauss. Strauss, who died by suicide in 2005, is thought to have sexually abused more than 170 male students over two decades. In a public hearing for Ohio’s state legislature on Tuesday, Adam DiSabato condemned Jordan as a “coward” who tried to suppress the story even after his brother Mike came forward in 2018.

“Jim Jordan called me crying, crying, groveling, on the Fourth of July, begging me to go against my brother, begging me, crying for half an hour,” DiSabato said. “That’s the kind of coverups going on here.”

He said that Jordan called him repeatedly, in a panic. “I had to have my lawyer call him, telling him to stop calling me.”

If there was a lawyer involved, that means there's a record. If that can be produced... I think it might be something they can use to finally deal with him.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
  • Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    I hate sports.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    University of Michigan is asking people who were abused by Robert E. Anderson from the 70s onward (he left the school in '03 and died in '08) to contact them. Wheeeee.

Seems like the current administration is trying to do the right thing.

Prior administrations, not so much:
    Stone said he learned from UM officials that the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office was reviewing his case, along with "many other victims" who have come forward with similar claims. He also said a UM police detective told him the university became aware years ago that there were allegations against Anderson, then moved him from his post at UM Student Health Services to become the team physician for UM athletes

I would like to know if the people involved in that decision are still at the university.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    I am not enjoying the stories about this doctor at Michigan. Today's edition: trading Vietnam War deferments (being gay kept you out of the draft) for sexual favors.

• Options
  • Options
    A member of the 1997 national championship football team and a hockey player who went on to the NHL have said they Anderson's victims at Michigan.

I REALLY do not want Lloyd Carr or Red Berenson to have known. Because I actually respect the two of them.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Michigan Democratic Party is looking to replace Joel Ferguson on the ballot in November. They're considering also replacing Brian Mosallum, who was the least shitty MSU Trustee. Ferguson 100% has to go though. Like, I would vote for a Republican if he were on the Democratic ballot line has to go.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    That hyperlink is unfortunate, it suggests something else

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Oh god I didn't even notice. What you doing Detroit News.

• Options
    edited April 2020
    Yep, that story's still getting worse. Current head athletic trainer knew about it and thought it was hilarious, say some of the doctor's victims. Also the athletic director got a complaint and forwarded it to the general counsel instead of Title IX office. Which is a fireable offense.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Judge dismissed charges against Lou Anna Simon because fuck it, holding people accountable is for black people.

• Options
    The Ohio State wrestling sexual assault lawsuit filing was unsealed. And unsurprisingly, Jim Jordan gets specifically called out for enabling the abuse:
    1434. Dr. Strauss was not the only voyeur at OSU while John Doe 23 was on the wrestling team. John Doe 23 witnessed older men hanging out in the showers and sauna area to watch the wrestlers. The men fondled themselves as they watched the wrestlers shower.

1435. Coach Hellickson and Assistant Coach Jordan also witnessed this voyeurism. Both commented on the presence of older men in the showers watching the wrestlers. Coach Hellickson and Assistant Coach Jordan told the wrestlers to ignore the older men and pretend they were not there.

1436. Several of the wrestlers expressed their anger about being watched in the shower by these men. Coach Hellickson and Assistant Coach Jordan told the wrestlers that if they did anything to act out that they would find themselves in trouble with the school.

• Options
    Gross. Fucking resign already, dipshit.

• Options
    Athlete A, the Netflix documentary about the fight to bring Nassar to justice is up now. I'll probably go watch it in a little bit.

• Options
    It's pretty good. Centers Maggie Nichols, who reported in Nassar in the spring of 2015 to her coach who sent it to USAG. Who then covered it up and left her off the 2016 Olympic team and the list of alternates (8 athletes total). In 2015 Nichols was runner up to Biles for world champion, and after a knee injury still places sixth at the trials. She and her family pretty clearly feel the fix was in. She's now a two time NCAA all around champion.

It's more about the deeper rot of USAG and the USOC through the lens of Nassar than it is about Nassar directly.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    Terry Gray, who coached a couple Olympians twenty years ago, was arrested and charged with lewd acts with a minor.

Also was allowed to keep coaching girls after even USAG and Safe Sport actually suspended him for sex acts with minors.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Welp, I knew this was coming:

Victims told Schembechler directly, he sent it up to Canham but did nothing beyond that. Much like Paterno.

Somehow, the trainer who is implicated is not suspended.

• Options
    edited July 2020
    It's when we learn that Lloyd Carr knew that I'll be actually hurt, btw. I was four when Schembechler retired, so he was just some guy on TV to me. Lloyd though, Lloyd I think was one of the few moral people in the sport.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Not a good week for my alma mater.

Thread. University admin were told repeatedly that a bigwig was sexually harassing his subordinates, sleeping with some of them, threatening retaliation if they revealed any of it, and actually retaliating in some cases. Kept promoting him until eventually he was provost. Finally fired him a few months ago.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    Oof. Mostly what I pull from this (besides that every institution needs scouring) is that progress is being made in bringing these things to light.

Not enough progress. Not fast enough. And who knows if any justice will factor in.

But I find it encouraging that revelations like these have been exposed, hopefully pebbles on the landslide of change

Edcrab's Exigency RPG