As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[nba] franken-warriors rise as curse of the brook settles over lakers

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    CNN is reporting that the helicopter missed clearing the mountain by just 20-30 feet and that the helicopter didn't have some safety features the FAA recommend but don't require.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    tbh I'm a bit confused by so many people who are angry that the NBA went ahead and played the games on the day of the crash

I would have thought cancelling basketball games for him is the absolute last thing that Kobe would have wanted.

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    tbh I'm a bit confused by so many people who are angry that the NBA went ahead and played the games on the day of the crash

I would have thought cancelling basketball games for him is the absolute last thing that Kobe would have wanted.

Kobe the player would have played a game during the cruxifixction of Christ.

Kobe the retired player ABSOLUTELY would want the entire league to stop in his honor.

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I think it's more that the players and staff themselves may need the time to grieve.

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    i dunno about this new allstar game format
    were there really complaints that it wasn't competitive enough?

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    They should agree to play less defense than usual to put up outrageous numbers in honor of kobe

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    The Target Score will be 231 huh

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    i dunno about this new allstar game format
    were there really complaints that it wasn't competitive enough?

I think it's a pretty common refrain that a lot of people don't watch because the players don't consider it a real game, so nobody plays full out. It might as well be a shooting contest.

Not sure the changes really help, but I can see the thinking behind it. You imagine that for a game you don't care about you will probably coast for 43 minutes then if things are close enough maybe put in some effort for 5ish minutes for bragging rights. Now there's basically 4 mini-games (can win each quarter), so maybe you get more like 20 ish minutes of effort. I don't think it will work, but I can understand why they thought it might.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The MLB All-Star game had a similar issue and they had the terrible idea of linking it to home-field advantage for the World Series.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    The changes may not work but continuing to do the same thing as always won't work either. Just keep trying new stuff each year until something sticks.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    NBA should have a Slam Ball tournament

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    24 points in a quarter is low enough for this type of game that it will encourage good defensive play at least

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Ringo wrote: »
    NBA should have a Slam Ball tournament

Homage to, "NBA JAM".

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Oooh, yeah pipe in the NBA JAM announcers

Also set the ball on fire!

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    Captain Inertia on
    Glad I checked out the Lakers game, or more.specifically the memorial to Kobe. Was very touching.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Dame went off in that third quarter, damn

Lillard has been unreal this past week. I mean he has had streaks of mvp level play before, but this is something else. Too bad it takes him being other worldly to even make us look decent.

Also, Whiteside had 30 pts, and it still kind of felt like he was a liability out there. I feel for the heat fans that lived with his play for so long.

• So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    RickRude wrote: »
    Glad I checked out the Lakers game, or more.specifically the memorial to Kobe. Was very touching.

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    He can’t be stopped. 2 defenders. 3 defenders. He could probably score 50 pts right now playing with 4 fans.

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    This is so dumb, Rockets vs. Lakers. The Rockets can't do shit against lobs.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    giannis is dumb
    lebron is gonna own him in the allstar game

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    giannis is dumb
    DL, Dubs are gonna get the number one pick in the draft, an win three more titles in the next five years.

But enough about Wiggins.

Ticaldfjam on
    Ticaldfjam wrote: »
    giannis is dumb
    DL, Dubs are gonna get the number one pick in the draft, an win three more titles in the next five years.

But enough about Wiggins.

i'm not wiggin out
    draymond and klay are gonna teach him how to defend better

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited February 2020
    Hard to win with 7 players, but I wanted this one.

Plus it always puts extra salt in the wound to lose on a missed call.

Jebus314 on
    I'm always surprised when I see Dwight Howard is a laker again.

• southwicksouthwick Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Us Dallas fans are so spoiled, I just don't understand some of the things Luka is able to pull off:

https://streamable.com/n7v1y

southwick on
    The NBA is naming the all star game mvp award after kobe.

I take back what I said about this format this is actually really good

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    Lol replay!

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    This is nuts

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    All right I'm sold, this was better than playoff basketball

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    I didn’t watch any all star events. You talking about the actual all star game, and having the 4 quarters be 4 mini games?

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    That was a ton of fun

Jebus314 wrote: »
    I didn’t watch any all star events. You talking about the actual all star game, and having the 4 quarters be 4 mini games?

Yeah it was ridiculously fun and competitive

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!

Just the last quarter with the play to a final number, or where the other quarters actually interesting as well?

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

Just the last quarter with the play to a final number, or where the other quarters actually interesting as well?

The first half was pretty much the standard all-star game we've come to see. The 3rd quarter it picked up some and then the 4th quarter was competitive the entire time. It was fucking great. Best all-star game I've ever seen and probably the best one in a while I'd imagine.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
    I feel like players came to play in the all star game in the 80's to the early 90's.