As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    It's also possible Jango was a Mando, and left/was disavowed.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    Seems weird to base a fictional culture around how cool a side character looks, and then retroactively exclude that side character because he doesn't jive with the content you invented... that was inspired by him in the first place... my nose is bleeding

Even in the early years of Star wars, so far as I recall anyway, Boba Fett was always described as wearing Mandalorian Battle Armor, never actually as a Mandalorian. So the distinction was there.

Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    October 2020 for season 2!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    I think that's more of a Mando wide signet, not just for Boba. We saw that in the Coverts tunnels too.

Oh awesome, thanks for this. I clearly missed that. Sounds like it's time for a rewatch!

XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Wait, is it canon that Boba Fett is not a real Mandalorian but some sort of fraud?

Whenever Jango Fett is referenced by other Mandalorians, he is called a fraud and a mercenary.

Whether or not Boba Fett is a Mandalorian depends on how much you think Jango Fett is a Mandalorian. If Jango was a Mandalorian then he could have raised Boba as one ("a clan of two"). Otherwise, he's just another pretender wearing armor he didn't earn.

IIRC at one point Filoni confirmed that the Fetts were not Mandalorians, either, based on his discussions with George Lucas. But nothing is "in-canon" until it's shown on screen, regardless of who said what.

So right now I think it's ambiguous but probable that the Fetts are not Mandalorians. But it's 100% true that 10,000 Super Death Star Destroyers were raised from the ashes of Exogol.

“George Lucas said” is one of those things I’m fine ignoring at this point. Others have told stories much better in the universe he created by this point that I’m happy to give him credit for creating it, but am not willing to let him retcon things.

• Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Wait, is it canon that Boba Fett is not a real Mandalorian but some sort of fraud?

Whenever Jango Fett is referenced by other Mandalorians, he is called a fraud and a mercenary.

Whether or not Boba Fett is a Mandalorian depends on how much you think Jango Fett is a Mandalorian. If Jango was a Mandalorian then he could have raised Boba as one ("a clan of two"). Otherwise, he's just another pretender wearing armor he didn't earn.

IIRC at one point Filoni confirmed that the Fetts were not Mandalorians, either, based on his discussions with George Lucas. But nothing is "in-canon" until it's shown on screen, regardless of who said what.

So right now I think it's ambiguous but probable that the Fetts are not Mandalorians. But it's 100% true that 10,000 Super Death Star Destroyers were raised from the ashes of Exogol.

What's the source on this?

Inquisitor77’s bottomless Star Wars lore knowledge, I’m betting. It lines up with what is in my head canon as well.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Considering we see Jango Fett walking around without a helmet, I can see why Mandalorians would view him as a pretender.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular

Inquisitor77’s bottomless Star Wars lore knowledge, I’m betting. It lines up with what is in my head canon as well.

My lore is pretty deep too, but I'm not gonna lie: my head canon is fueled primarily from the old WEG rpg and the EU, because I'm old and that's all we had in those days. Plus the contributions to the badass Clone Trooper warrior culture that Fett and his other Mandalorian training cadre instilled in them during the later EU is ingrained pretty deep. Karen Traviss may have gone a little squirrely, sure, but the Mando Culture-Clone Trooper link is awesome and I love it. I do remember a line somewhere in the Clones Wars cartoon when someone on Mandalore says Jango wasn't a true Mando or whatever (so I guess Boba is not either) but I always chalked that up to sour grapes or something and not actually a thing. Because in those days, ALL Mandalorean's in cool armor where not true patriots. In my head, that was a characters' in universe political opinion and not IRL world-building canon.

Fake edit: odd use of IRL there, but you get the idea...

• Options
    Considering we see Jango Fett walking around without a helmet, I can see why Mandalorians would view him as a pretender.

This keeps throwing me off because we’ve consistently seen Mandalorians (people who lived on Mandalore) without helmets though. Sabine in Rebels, multiple people, including their ruler, in TCW, etc.

The never take the helmet off rule I thought we all agreed was a sect specific thing that Mando’s clan did, not a full Mandalorian thing.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

Took a few minutes to peruse this: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jango_Fett
    Although Fett wore Mandalorian armor, the government of Mandalore saw him as nothing more than a common mercenary with no actual ties to the Mandalorians.
    Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo.[7] He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, but his exact history was unknown, much to Fett's enjoyment. While he did wear Mandalorian armor,[1] officials of Mandalore disavowed any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.[8] However, Fett's armor itself was fashioned from durasteel alloy, while most Mandalorian armor was made from beskar. In most other respects it was the same as the gear that had been designed hundreds of years prior.[1]
    Jango Fett was a Mandalorian in the lore of Star Wars Legends. In the "Creating Mandalore" featurette on The Clone Wars: Season Two DVD set, however, series director Dave Filoni explained that, according to George Lucas, the Fetts were not Mandalorians.[25] After the creation of the new official Star Wars canon, Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group reiterated that the Fetts are not Mandalorians, though they might claim to be.[26]

The only reason I know any of this is because this exact conversation came up in these forums at some point relatively recently, so it's still fresh in my mind.

• Options

Took a few minutes to peruse this: https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Jango_Fett
    Although Fett wore Mandalorian armor, the government of Mandalore saw him as nothing more than a common mercenary with no actual ties to the Mandalorians.
    Jango Fett was born in the years prior to the Invasion of Naboo.[7] He claimed to have been born on the planet Concord Dawn, a Mandalorian world, but his exact history was unknown, much to Fett's enjoyment. While he did wear Mandalorian armor,[1] officials of Mandalore disavowed any connection to Fett, claiming he was simply a bounty hunter who somehow stole an artifact from their planet's troubled past.[8] However, Fett's armor itself was fashioned from durasteel alloy, while most Mandalorian armor was made from beskar. In most other respects it was the same as the gear that had been designed hundreds of years prior.[1]
    Jango Fett was a Mandalorian in the lore of Star Wars Legends. In the "Creating Mandalore" featurette on The Clone Wars: Season Two DVD set, however, series director Dave Filoni explained that, according to George Lucas, the Fetts were not Mandalorians.[25] After the creation of the new official Star Wars canon, Pablo Hidalgo of the Lucasfilm Story Group reiterated that the Fetts are not Mandalorians, though they might claim to be.[26]

The only reason I know any of this is because this exact conversation came up in these forums at some point relatively recently, so it's still fresh in my mind.

Hmm. I see that, in universe, as a "he said, she said" kinda thing. The government of the day may wanted to have disavowed Fett from the Mando club. But Fett, in his heart of hearts knows who and what he is nobody can take it away from.

Out of universe, I see that as Lucas getting miffed that others are taking his creation and doing way better at it than he ever did and getting a bit huffy about it all.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The storm over the Fetts being a Mando or not due to a practice of what became a central rite of a quasi-culture/religion due to a massive purge that resulted in the deaths of most Mandolorians and cause any coverts to rely on secrecy is...

supremely stupid.

"Hey, you know those capable warriors who said they were Mandolorians, one who was the template for that clone army of the galactic Republic, and the other that proved to be a capable bounty hunter (who may or may not be know for disintegrations) that worked with the Galactic Empire (that ended purging us after we fought back)?

Yeah well they weren't real Mandos cause they took off their helmets in the presence of another living being outside their covert that we use post purge to stay safe!

Nyeh!"

Anyway, back to what's important:

Enjoy some baby yoda gifs

Karoz on
  • Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    I’d argue that they’re not considered Mandalorians because of their utter and complete lack of honor, which is central to Mandalorian culture. The helmet thing is not as important.

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Heh. I forgot the Blergs (the giant mouths with tiny arms and legs?) were also in the Ryloth episodes of the Clone Wars cartoon in season 1.

• Options
    knitdan wrote: »
    I’d argue that they’re not considered Mandalorians because of their utter and complete lack of honor, which is central to Mandalorian culture. The helmet thing is not as important.

Can you explain this? Because I'm wracking my brain for dishonorable things the duo did and all I am potentially coming up with is working with the Seperatists/Empire, which coming from a potentially Death Watch sect seems silly.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options

Ah so expanded material that there is no guarantee anyone who watches just the show and movies would ever see? :mad:

Thanks for the info though.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »

Ah so expanded material that there is no guarantee anyone who watches just the show and movies would ever see? :mad:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, anyone who just watches the show isn't going to be concerned about the Fetts at all.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, anyone who just watches the show isn't going to be concerned about the Fetts at all.

Sure, but they might have seen the movies. And while they never say that the Fetts are mandalorians, They might be confused that they are not considered "true mandalorians."

In a way the Show is making the Mandalorian culture / religion about as practical as the Jedi Order.

Which is to say not at all.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular

Sure, but they might have seen the movies. And while they never say that the Fetts are mandalorians, They might be confused that they are not considered "true mandalorians."

In a way the Show is making the Mandalorian culture / religion about as practical as the Jedi Order.

Is there ever a discussion in the movies or The Show that the Fetts aren't "true mandalorians"? I thought that was just a conversation that is being had here.

• Options

Is there ever a discussion in the movies or The Show that the Fetts aren't "true mandalorians"? I thought that was just a conversation that is being had here.

It has been something extrpolated in a variety of places.

But like most Star Wars things it is just another excuse to argue about dumb things that don't matter when we should be worshipping at the altar of Baby Yoda.

• Options
    I don't know if the conversation has been had here... but if Baby Yoda speaks at any point next season (or later) does he speak like Yoda? Or does he speak normally? I'm just not sure which way I'd go if it were up to me, though I lean toward the latter.

• Options
    I don't know if the conversation has been had here... but if Baby Yoda speaks at any point next season (or later) does he speak like Yoda? Or does he speak normally? I'm just not sure which way I'd go if it were up to me, though I lean toward the latter.

He should speak normally, if anything he'd talk like the mando very sparsely. Speech patterns are very much a nurture not some kind biological thing.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I prefer to think of it the way Robot Chicken jokes about Chewie and the Wookiees. The rest of them speak English/galactic basic/whatever and wear clothes and Chewbacca was just weird. (I know the movies have shown this not to be the case)

Similar with Yoda, the rest of his race speak normally, and Yoda just has a speech impediment or something.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Preacher wrote: »

He should speak normally, if anything he'd talk like the mando very sparsely. Speech patterns are very much a nurture not some kind biological thing.

For what it's worth, I fully understand that and I agree 1000%, but it doesn't mean the creators will. I have faith in them though.

EDIT: He's also 50, isn't he? And we don't know a thing about the first 50 years of his life.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options

For what it's worth, I fully understand that and I agree 1000%, but it doesn't mean the creators will. I have faith in them though.

EDIT: He's also 50, isn't he? And we don't know a thing about the first 50 years of his life.

Yeah unfortunately very much star wars canon is basically "this one race acted like this THEY ALL DO!" But I'd hope since the people behind the show know thats an issue with star wars they'd work against that expectation be damned.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular

My understanding about Yoda's speech pattern was that it represented an older more formal kind of speech. Yoda was 100s of years old and so spoke in a way that had essentially died out for everyone else.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

It's brought up in Clone Wars by the ruler of Mandalore, the Dutchess. However, she considers ALL Mandalorians who follow their warrior ways Renegades. Regardless, there's multiple factions within their society, and none like each other much.

• Options
    Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Apostate wrote: »

My understanding about Yoda's speech pattern was that it represented an older more formal kind of speech. Yoda was 100s of years old and so spoke in a way that had essentially died out for everyone else.

I like to think that he just did it to fuck with the other sentients.

Giggles_Funsworth on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Seems weird to base a fictional culture around how cool a side character looks, and then retroactively exclude that side character because he doesn't jive with the content you invented... that was inspired by him in the first place... my nose is bleeding

I don’t know. There’s...something to this, in terms of extruding all the cool stuff out of Boba Fett and building something better from him. He’s like the footprint that was used to reverse-engineer Mandalorians.

Maybe it would have gone a different way before Jango’s deal was decided. That really kind of threw off any meaningful way to construct a noble warrior culture from directly from Boba Fett himself.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Opinions and speculation:

Boba (and Jango) Fett were excluded from the Mandalorian lore because of Karen Traviss. She wrote several Legends books about Boba and his Mandalorian ubermensch, and she was super obnoxious about it, going on these long diatribes about how the Mandalorians are superior and Jedi are terrible, and she would turn other authors' characters into chumps so her Mandalorians could look better.

George Lucas was well involved in the making of The Clone Wars, and he more or less considers Filoni his direct protege when it comes to making the Star Wars. Turning the Mandalorians pacifists and specifically calling out Jango Fett as not a Mandalorian but a thug in a stolen set of armor, it's either directly George's idea or he approved it.

Why make such changes? Well, the Jedi are George's invention. Boba Fett's original design was a guy in a suit of armor that looks like it's been scrapped together from multiple sources, the whole "Mandalorian battle armor" thing was invented much later on, and any details about the Mandalorian culture came much, much later, in large part from Traviss. So you can see why George might not be super happy about someone writing books in his universe shitting on the Jedi to elevate these other guys to greater importance.

(George Lucas is reportedly also not a big fan of Kotor2 and its ideas about the Jedi and the Force.)

So, yeah. The Mandalorians and their armor is cool so people want to make stories about them, but because the one EU author most associated with Boba Fett and pre-CW Mandalorians was an ass (not just with the way she non-cooperated with the other authors, but also calling fans who disagree with her taliban and nazis and such), they took the character of Boba Fett out of it all and changed some stuff about Mando culture. As a direct result of which Karen Traviss decided she's done writing about Star Wars and moved on to Halo and Gears of War; and the Mandalorians were now safely in the hands of a guy George likes and whose vision for Star Wars George trusts.

• Options
    DiplominatorDiplominator Hardcore Porg Registered User regular
    What's funny is that I'm pretty sure Beskar, at least, was originally from Traviss. So they haven't totally expunged her stuff and elements of it are reaching an even wider audience.

• Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    What's funny is that I'm pretty sure Beskar, at least, was originally from Traviss. So they haven't totally expunged her stuff and elements of it are reaching an even wider audience.

It's currently first canonized via Clone Wars, which in turn was written at a time when Traviss's Legends content was still canon, if I'm not mistaken.

Though the concept existed before Traviss came up with a Mandalorian word for it, it was just called Mandalorian iron.

Kamar on
  • Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Although I think they’ve toned down beskar’s strength...or at least, I think we don’t know what’ll happen when a lightsaber hits it.

• Options
    I just watched the episode of Clone Wars that denouced Jango as a mercenary with armor and not a "true" Mandalorian. (Episode 212 - The Mandalore Plot) and hanging on to that one line to prove that Jango is not a Mando is, IMO, bullshit.

The whole scene was about Duchess Satine and her advisers stressing upon Obi-Wan the official party line of Mandalore. That they are now a pacifist culture, and want to be left out of the war and have nothing to offer either the Republic or Separatists. Any of the adherents to the old way of life are simply filthy malcontents who don't know when to let the past die. The next scene is Satine taking her old friend Obi aside and telling him, unofficially, that the old ways are very much alive (and as the episode later shows, thriving) on the moon of Concordia.... punctuated by a Death Watch attack on the streets of Mandalore. Peace loving Mandalore is the short lived abberation. Armored up badasses are the norm.

Jango as absolutely a Mandalorian warrior.

• Options
    What makes him a Mandalorian warrior, though? The movie he appears in doesn't tell us anything about him. He's just some guy with some armor.

• Options
    He is presented as a Mandalorian in all sources. That's not random body armor he wears. Or the clever tools he uses (jetpack, grapping hook etc.) These are visual cues to a characters identity.

He walks like a duck and talks like a duck... I choose to believe that he is indeed a duck.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    What makes him a Mandalorian warrior, though? The movie he appears in doesn't tell us anything about him. He's just some guy with some armor.

Jango is presented to us as a Mando in the prequels, Boba is presented as his unaltered clone.

1+1=2

Anything else (claiming Jango wasn’t really a Mando is just post fact attempts at retcon.

• Options
    The movie doesn't present him as a Mandalorian, it presents him as "just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe". Who happens to have some fancy armor.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Because in Star Wars, there are no deviants or outcasts.

Rodians: dumb thugs
    Hutts: crime lords
    Bothans: spies
    Astromechs: psychopaths
    Mon Cal: fleet commanders
    Quarren: traitors
    Etc.

Therefore, a badass warrior wearing Mandalorian armor is a Mandalorian.

This discussion has been closed.