As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I vote curry!

but I frequently vote curry even when no one is hungry or voting so ....

I vote curry the week after next. Why? Because my wife is going out of town for school and I was going to make my "bachelor curry" anyway.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Man, I haven't had bachelor curry in years. You just can't get fresh bachelor around here.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Fresh bachelor sounds like an overlooked oxymoron.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    oh hey on the topic of boeuf(?) bourguignon, I notice a lot of recipes call for both red wine and brandy. Is there a, I don't know, normal brandy I should be looking for? I thought brandy was usually flavored?

I don't drink at all =p

• SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I would love to make cinnamon rolls. Or other scroll type baked goodies. I need an excuse.

Sure! I'll add cinnamon rolls on--and ... would croissants be too daunting? That croissant loaf looks grand but just as time consuming. Maybe a good middle ground would be rugelach, which I've been meaning to make ever since I had these heavenly nutella ones at a restaurant a couple months ago. Or maybe it'll just be a "rolled up dough" week. :lol: I'll try to gauge interest with the bread week next week

edit: this may be a good time to mention, if anyone for the crusty bread/baguettes next week want to make a sourdough starter, they should probably get on it now, as cultivating a starter takes about a week. And this would be just about enough time to bake with it for next week!

Starter guides I've personally used: https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/sourdough-starter-recipe
    https://www.theperfectloaf.com/7-easy-steps-making-incredible-sourdough-starter-scratch/

SilverWind on
    signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    edited February 2020
    oh hey on the topic of boeuf(?) bourguignon, I notice a lot of recipes call for both red wine and brandy. Is there a, I don't know, normal brandy I should be looking for? I thought brandy was usually flavored?

I don't drink at all =p

Regular brandy is just distilled wine!

I use it in my cheesecake, and I usually just get a pint of Christian Brothers VS from behind the counter at the liquor store. It's the cheapest brandy you can get that definitely won't make you blind.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
    I definitely don't want to be blind!

thanks!

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I would like to see some kind of "make something with beans, preferably giant" week, because making things with giant beans is easy and delicious and there are some real good recipes out there.

Also I too am skipping this week but I love you all and wish you the best of cooking luck.

• PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular

thanks!

This is cowardice right here.

Pinfeldorf wrote: »

thanks!

This is cowardice right here.

I see what you're doing

but if I was blind, I couldn't

Ya know my wife owes me. I might make her record me making this this weekend, along with mashed potatoes in my potato ricer with oven baked skins,

I guess I need to wear pants though.

I purchased brandy

Raynal Brandy

none of his brandies (brandys?) had any prices on them though everything else in the store was meticulously priced. Hopefully I'll stave off the blindness.

I purchased brandy

Raynal Brandy

none of his brandies (brandys?) had any prices on them though everything else in the store was meticulously priced. Hopefully I'll stave off the blindness.

Oh man you're gonna be so blind you'll want to listen to a Korn song!

I'm going to turn a blind eye to that comment

OH NO IT'S HAPPENING!

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    DLGM89zl.jpg

Dear God, so rich...so beefy.

http://imgur.com/a/lKJkGYK

For those still going for it, I have tips.

More carrots/parsnips, more pearl onions, more garlic. 3 hours at 350 left me needing to add more stock...

Serve on a carb to sop it up and definitely make some veggies/greens.

Doodmann on
    Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I would also like to request that we put risotto on the list.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    Looking forward to making some beef burgundy this week. Probably gonna be towards the end of the week, as I already made some rockin’ beef chili on Monday and I don’t want to keep doing various stewed beefs too close to each other. I wish I could do the musroom variant, but I’m cooking for my brother as well, and he simply Will Not with mushrooms.

I also Will Not with most cooked mushrooms, but it's the texture that puts me off more than the flavor so I'm tweaking the recipe to include some mushroom broth and will replace the actual shrooms with some baby potatoes or something else that can properly soak up the juices. Bought most of the ingredients today, looks like I'll be doing this on Sunday, looking forward to it.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular
    https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/451758553791987732/675267723630215178/20200207_194112.jpg
    Link because huge, but I made the bourguignon using the Cafe Delites recipe and was not disappointed. Forgot to take process photos but my brother made bread to go with it and it was amazing

hot wet rice!

hot wet rice!

Thanks for reminding me that I miss the Katering Show.

Doodmann wrote: »
    Dear God, so rich...so beefy.

http://imgur.com/a/lKJkGYK

For those still going for it, I have tips.

More carrots/parsnips, more pearl onions, more garlic. 3 hours at 350 left me needing to add more stock...

Serve on a carb to sop it up and definitely make some veggies/greens.

Oh shit that looks good! And yeah I took the pearl onions out so maybe I'll add a parsnip to mine. Good call!

hot wet rice!

they did do a second season!

hot wet rice!

they did do a second season!

And a follow up series, Get Krack!n

Risotto added!

Man, the rampup to the weekend posts really rocks. It really does feel like collective cooking! :D

Doodman, thanks for the tips! I was feeling like I wanted more pearl onions and mushrooms so I bought extra, thankfully. Aaaalso I always double or triple the garlic

Hellbore, that looks fantastic! Love your brother's bread too, it looks soooooooooooo soft and fluffy

signature.png
    edited February 2020
    I used some wild chicken of the woods I foraged last year as well as some fresh venison. I used quartered stewing onions instead of pearl onions.

I also added a bit more brandy since I didn't have quite enough red wine

my house smells so good. Now to let it simmer for 4 hours!

b4wggc2xrd9s.jpg

xgow2w8ou59v.jpg

Xaquin on
    Oh @Xaquin I'm using some Hen-of-the-Woods/Sheep's Heads that were frozen from last year, they come out a little waterlogged, do you have a recommendation for how to saute them?

Bucketman wrote: »
    Oh @Xaquin I'm using some Hen-of-the-Woods/Sheep's Heads that were frozen from last year, they come out a little waterlogged, do you have a recommendation for how to saute them?

what I do is toss them in a pan on medium heat with butter after letting them sit out for maybe a half hour. It'll take a bit longer at a slightly lower heat, but the water should cook off ok. Since it's going to simmer for a few hours anyway they should be fine!

Oh I thought you added the mushrooms at the end, do you add it before it goes in the oven?

edited February 2020
    You add the mushrooms after taking the beef mix out of the oven and then simmer the whole mix for another 10 minutes.

Doodmann on
  • V1mV1m Registered User regular
    shalmelo wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    Looking forward to making some beef burgundy this week. Probably gonna be towards the end of the week, as I already made some rockin’ beef chili on Monday and I don’t want to keep doing various stewed beefs too close to each other. I wish I could do the musroom variant, but I’m cooking for my brother as well, and he simply Will Not with mushrooms.

I also Will Not with most cooked mushrooms, but it's the texture that puts me off more than the flavor so I'm tweaking the recipe to include some mushroom broth and will replace the actual shrooms with some baby potatoes or something else that can properly soak up the juices. Bought most of the ingredients today, looks like I'll be doing this on Sunday, looking forward to it.

Just mince the mushrooms. Put them on a board and keep hitting them with your cleaver until they real small

Ooh, thanks to watching a random youtube video I just recalled I'd like to make some pavlova at some point. Maybe during berry season!

signature.png
    this is the best meal I've had in ages

• TayaTaya Registered User regular
    I discovered this thread a couple days ago so count me in! I just bought everything I need for beef bourguignon (which was pretty much every ingredient) and I’m trying to decide if I should cook this in my Instant Pot that I know how to use, or the vintage-ass crock pot that my Mom gave me that I have never used.

edited February 2020
    I'd say go with what you know

though realistically as long as you brown the meat and let it simmer in the sauce for a few hours you'll be fine no matter what

Xaquin on
    Day three: sourdough starter still feels like a prank.

"So the grey biscuit I made a couple of days ago has turned into room-temperature goo."
    "Yes, that's what you're going for."
    "And I'm going to keep throwing away half of it and adding more flour and water."
    "Yup."
    "And after I've kept this goo in a cabinet for a week and a half, I'm going to use it as an ingredient. In food. And instead of giving me mega-botulism it's going to give my bread a lovely tang."
    "That's about the size of it."

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Got all the ingredients for my shroeum bourguignon. Soon...

I ate an engineer
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    shalmelo wrote: »

Just mince the mushrooms. Put them on a board and keep hitting them with your cleaver until they real small

*thinking face emoji*
    Taya wrote: »
    I discovered this thread a couple days ago so count me in! I just bought everything I need for beef bourguignon (which was pretty much every ingredient) and I’m trying to decide if I should cook this in my Instant Pot that I know how to use, or the vintage-ass crock pot that my Mom gave me that I have never used.

I've been trying to get in the habit of doing something in my crock pot every weekend so as to have easy lunches for work, so every time cook club has a dish that has a slow cooker variant I'll probably be going that route.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    Jedoc wrote: »

"So the grey biscuit I made a couple of days ago has turned into room-temperature goo."
    "And I'm going to keep throwing away half of it and adding more flour and water."
    "Yup."
    "And after I've kept this goo in a cabinet for a week and a half, I'm going to use it as an ingredient. In food. And instead of giving me mega-botulism it's going to give my bread a lovely tang."

Ooh, I'm so happy you're doing it!

Are bubbles forming? It's such a magical, bizarre thing, I agree. Once it's set into a pattern you can keep it at much lower amounts and also in the fridge so you don't shed so much flour every week. But, you can also do a ton of things with the discard, including just plopping it into a pan and making a savoury pancake

signature.png
  • m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »

"Yup."

Ooh, I'm so happy you're doing it!

Are bubbles forming? It's such a magical, bizarre thing, I agree. Once it's set into a pattern you can keep it at much lower amounts and also in the fridge so you don't shed so much flour every week. But, you can also do a ton of things with the discard, including just plopping it into a pan and making a savoury pancake

My favorite thing to make with the castoffs was making sourdough crackers .