As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BattleTech] The Clan Wait-vasion

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Hey, so I just saw these... Wondering if they could be used in place of some of the unseen. 1/285th scale Robotech kits.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/search?HideSoldOut=true&PageSize=100&SortOrder=New&Brand=492

Those are beautiful. Also super, super nostalgic. :)

Honestly space F-14s that could turn into mecha was a pretty bad ass idea.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Nips wrote: »
    Hey, so I just saw these... Wondering if they could be used in place of some of the unseen. 1/285th scale Robotech kits.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/search?HideSoldOut=true&PageSize=100&SortOrder=New&Brand=492

The answer is Yes But; those kits are made in resin, which means they pose the potential to be a total bitch to clean up and assemble. Not saying they will, but it's best to go in with eyes open and tools at the ready.

I will say, the renders look hot as hell.

Ooh ok. I have no idea how bad resin is. But yeah those renders are so awesome.

I just remembered that I have two boxes of the Pallidium (sp?) board game that was discontinued that I can use. I really should open them up and see what I have there.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Anybody not gotten their canon character survey yet? I haven't, but I pledged Comstar and upgraded in the pledge manager, so guessing I'll be pretty late in the game.

Did anybody see how much of a refund they offer for not getting the canon character?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Depends on the resin really. One of the game systems I play has some incredible and clean resin models. I’ve dabbled in others that were absolutely terrible. This would be a “wait for reviews or buy a single test model” territory.

• Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    Tox wrote: »
    Anybody not gotten their canon character survey yet? I haven't, but I pledged Comstar and upgraded in the pledge manager, so guessing I'll be pretty late in the game.

Did anybody see how much of a refund they offer for not getting the canon character?

IIRC it's $75 for Star Colonels, and more $more at higher tiers.

JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    $150 at higher tiers.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular

If you added on in the pledge manager you make your character at a later date. I pledged for a second star colonel in the manager and only get to do one right now.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Does anybody know was there a specific pledge/upgrade to be guaranteed a mechwarrior pilot card? Or is that just whoever they decide to make a card for?

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Does anybody know was there a specific pledge/upgrade to be guaranteed a mechwarrior pilot card? Or is that just whoever they decide to make a card for?

I don't believe there were any guarantees, other than they'd do their best to try and accommodate everyone's characters as submitted. They did say they would work to get characters that were grouped (like what we're doing), and ones that weren't strictly Mechwarriors pushed up the To Do list.

I imagine the Pilot Cards are going to come from the pool of Kerenskys, Khans, and maybe Galaxy Commanders. Just the two K-tiers alone shows 136 pledges (plus late backers, minus opt-outs), so I'd be surprised if Cardification extends too far into GalComs, which adds another 647 bodies. It probably depends on how the actual population of canon characters falls out, demographically.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    ilyw3zbf3cyz.jpeg

So proud of this loss to my oldest. :D

• Options
    Well, I pulled the trigger on my Canon Character. Hope everyone else's submissions went without issues!

• Options
    Well, I pulled the trigger on my Canon Character. Hope everyone else's submissions went without issues!

Oh crap, I need to do that asap.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

Oh crap, I need to do that asap.

Yeah, I've got mine 90% filled out. Need to cross that finish line!

• Options
    Does anybody remember if the urbanmech plushie is Kickstarter only or if they’re making it available later through other channels?

• Options
    Nobody wrote: »
    Does anybody remember if the urbanmech plushie is Kickstarter only or if they’re making it available later through other channels?

Did you need one ordered in case?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options

According to the KS page, backers will get the first chance to order them, and it doesn't say anything about being a KS exclusive. I would think it should come to the regular CGL store at some point, given that.

• Options

According to the KS page, backers will get the first chance to order them, and it doesn't say anything about being a KS exclusive. I would think it should come to the regular CGL store at some point, given that.

Whew, thanks, I didn't remember seeing it in the pledge manager and I wanted to get one for the little one. I'm cool with waiting.

I'm good, I was trying to remember if it was available in the pledge manager or not, and if it'd be available later.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    So one of the latest emails is calling for fanart submissions. So that's definitely a thing that folks should do.
    Brent Evans, our art director, has come up with a great project. He is going to oversee a "community art project" that encourages all fans to submit their work, at any level. Pro. Semi-pro. Beginner. Doesn't matter. Some of you may have a favorite Mech colored up in your personal unit paint scheme. Some of you may have a personal drawing of your in-universe character. (In fact, we know many of you do, because they've been coming in with the Canon Character submissions!) Well, we'd like to collect them for what will be a curated look at BattleTech from the POV of our fans. Maybe this will be published online only. Maybe we will get enough material to do a nice collectible book.
    So, with all that, here is the link to our email contact form. Please be sure to select "portfolio submission" in the dropdown menu, to make sure your email gets routed to Brent.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/pages/contact

Brent will post more about the Art Project in the coming weeks. But we wanted to get early word out to see how much interest there is and so Brent can see some early submissions.

Tox on
  • Options

Whew, thanks, I didn't remember seeing it in the pledge manager and I wanted to get one for the little one. I'm cool with waiting.

I'm good, I was trying to remember if it was available in the pledge manager or not, and if it'd be available later.

Yeah, I saw it in the pledge manager when I was debating on getting another. You sir should get the Honorary Oosik Award for keeping the dream alive with the next generation.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    So one of the latest emails is calling for fanart submissions. So that's definitely a thing that folks should do.
    Brent Evans, our art director, has come up with a great project. He is going to oversee a "community art project" that encourages all fans to submit their work, at any level. Pro. Semi-pro. Beginner. Doesn't matter. Some of you may have a favorite Mech colored up in your personal unit paint scheme. Some of you may have a personal drawing of your in-universe character. (In fact, we know many of you do, because they've been coming in with the Canon Character submissions!) Well, we'd like to collect them for what will be a curated look at BattleTech from the POV of our fans. Maybe this will be published online only. Maybe we will get enough material to do a nice collectible book.
    So, with all that, here is the link to our email contact form. Please be sure to select "portfolio submission" in the dropdown menu, to make sure your email gets routed to Brent.

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/pages/contact

Brent will post more about the Art Project in the coming weeks. But we wanted to get early word out to see how much interest there is and so Brent can see some early submissions.

Well, fuck. I wonder how long this will stay open; third company of the First Battalion is a looong way off from being done.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Oh snap, Speck from IWM just posted this:
    1st Quarter 2020 (Need to update IWM site this weekend)
    Catapult CPLT-C1
    Locust LCT-1V
    Griffin GRF-1N

The understanding is that these are based on the new Box Set plastics. So, hyyyyype for these starting to make their way out as metal singles.

Nips on
  • Options
    Since I know the oosiks really love the Centurion for SOME reason *coughWANGcough* I think this one might be a miss for some. It's not bad, but there's no clear shield on the arm, which I think was the most distinctive feature of it.
    lwt6wzx9bj1p.jpg

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Yeah, that was my immediate thought. It's still got the headfin (mohawk?), but it almost seems a little incongruous without the verticality of the shoulder baffle accompanying it.

This latest lance of sketches are all fine and competent. But they do not spark joy in the way the previous batches have.

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    I think it looks great, a good compromise between the Tall & Lanky TT sculpts and the Wide As A Barn MWO sculpt.

And as for the arm shield and shoulder baffle, it's trivial to add them if you like the aesthetics of them.

7vtRARph.jpg

• Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I wanna talk about Faction Coins. So, they're gonna have a unit typical of the faction on the backside, which is cool. Well, some don't; the two merc coins have the MRBC with Atlas' head logo on the back, which I actually really like? Also the Diamond Sharks have their original Clan emblem (the Sea Fox) on the back, and the Wolverines have their Khan's old SLDF/Terran Hegemony unit patch (aka the "Minnesota Tribe" insignia), both of which are super cool if you're big into the lore. But as for the others:
    • The Fed Com was my favorite coin based on the rendition of the faction emblems, unfortunately the back is a Bushwhacker, which is a fine mech, but ugly. Also not that iconic unless you watched the cartoon. Why not the Hatchetman? It was a historic step towards the IS being able to produce new designs once more, and the first joint project between the Lyrans (manufacturing) and the Fed Suns (Dr. Buckaroo Banzai and the NAIS designed it), so in many ways it is symbolic of the huge strides forward both realms experienced under the Fed Com. Plus, I mean, it's fucking rad.
    • The solo Fed Suns coin has a Rifleman, which sure, the Davions love their dakka-dakka, but isn't the Jagermech kind of their baby?
    • The FRR has a Shadowhawk because...? It seems like they are trying to do a themed set by having the Lyran coin with a Griffin (because two are always present in the Lyran throne room), and the Draconis Combine having a Wolverine. But I can't recall any particular lore reasons to associate the FRR or DC with those mechs. IMHO, the FRR should've had the aerospace fighter Tyra Miraborg was flying when she kamikaze'd the Clan flagship and bought the Inner Sphere a year to get their shit together while the Clans leaders went home to elect a new ilkhan. Besides, the Shilone is a pretty cool looking spacefighter
    • Seriously, why isn't the Draconis Combine mech a Dragon? @DaMoonRulz back me up here!
    • The Capellans have the Catapult, which makes sense, and actually got me to consider picking their coin up. I just really like Cats.
    • The Snow Ravens one would be nice, but the ASF they picked isn't very cool looking, and the pentagonal shape for clan coins is a turn-off
    • All in all, I really wish the clan coins weren't pentagons, as I would have probably picked the Wolf Clan (Timber Wolf on the back!) one if it didn't have pointy corners.

In the end, I decided on the Wolf's Dragoons coin. Having an Atlas head clinched it for me.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Since I know the oosiks really love the Centurion for SOME reason *coughWANGcough* I think this one might be a miss for some. It's not bad, but there's no clear shield on the arm, which I think was the most distinctive feature of it.
    lwt6wzx9bj1p.jpg

This design looks a little flaccid.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    lwt6wzx9bj1p.jpg

This design looks a little flaccid.

Maybe it's cold?
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    I wanna talk about Faction Coins. So, they're gonna have a unit typical of the faction on the backside, which is cool. Well, some don't; the two merc coins have the MRBC with Atlas' head logo on the back, which I actually really like? Also the Diamond Sharks have their original Clan emblem (the Sea Fox) on the back, and the Wolverines have their Khan's old SLDF/Terran Hegemony unit patch (aka the "Minnesota Tribe" insignia), both of which are super cool if you're big into the lore. But as for the others:

In the end, I decided on the Wolf's Dragoons coin. Having an Atlas head clinched it for me.

The short answer is probably they hadn't finished the redesigns in time

• Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    lwt6wzx9bj1p.jpg

I like the look of the shield arm, but it was a aesthetic that PGI added. It's not present in the Centurion's TT design. And these CGL redesigns are pulling more design cues from the original TT line art than PGI's did. This is very much a chonky version of the 3025 TRO line art.

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    lwt6wzx9bj1p.jpg

I like the look of the shield arm, but it was a aesthetic that PGI added. It's not present in the Centurion's TT design. And these CGL redesigns are pulling more design cues from the original TT line art than PGI's did.

I did not know this. Thanks for pointing that out to me since I never paid attention to the design till MWO.

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    Wolverine is an odd choice for Kurita. I agree it's probably because they weren't done with the Dragon redesign in time.

Still, of all the mechs, I really don't associate the Wolverine with them.

(A part of me thinks they should have used the Conjurer/Hellhound for Clan Wolverine, but that's probably for the same reason the choice for Kurita).

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I don't know about specific associations, but CGL put the Wolverine on the cover of Combat Manual: Kurita for some reason.

8fb009d4073711db93c068c0de630165--gundam-battletech.jpg

Nips on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Looking through the lore, I find this:
    During the Combine-Ghost Bear War House Kurita found itself running short of equipment when they lost Marduk and Al Na'ir to Duke James Sandoval's surprise attack, although DCMS forces managed to recapture Marduk in mid-3064. Inspired by Vicore Industries' "Project Phoenix" initiative Victory Industries went about scouring the entire Combine for any old Wolverine chassis in order to perform a complete strip, disassembling those in the worst shape for their parts and apply a modernizing factory refit to the rest. By 3067 this effort had virtually picked the Draconis Combine clean of older Wolverine machines but the new WVR-8K was so well-received it inspired the production of brand-new models.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    The Dragon is the greatest Mech ever conceived by man. If you hear anyone suggest otherwise please report them to the nearest ISF agent. Thank you and have a glorious day citizen.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Looking through the lore, I find this:
    During the Combine-Ghost Bear War House Kurita found itself running short of equipment when they lost Marduk and Al Na'ir to Duke James Sandoval's surprise attack, although DCMS forces managed to recapture Marduk in mid-3064. Inspired by Vicore Industries' "Project Phoenix" initiative Victory Industries went about scouring the entire Combine for any old Wolverine chassis in order to perform a complete strip, disassembling those in the worst shape for their parts and apply a modernizing factory refit to the rest. By 3067 this effort had virtually picked the Draconis Combine clean of older Wolverine machines but the new WVR-8K was so well-received it inspired the production of brand-new models.

See, now this is that good shit. Love it.

• Options
    Wolverine is an odd choice for Kurita. I agree it's probably because they weren't done with the Dragon redesign in time.

Still, of all the mechs, I really don't associate the Wolverine with them.

(A part of me thinks they should have used the Conjurer/Hellhound for Clan Wolverine, but that's probably for the same reason the choice for Kurita).

The Wolverine K model is a sweet ride. In fact, Kurita had some nice refits overall.

kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Battletech Info locked in.

Betsuni is now an official member of the Oosiks as the Event Coordinator (picked that Title since I try to keep the Thursday Ooisk Nights going).

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So, just to be clear, when they say closed Feb 9th, that means the beginning of the day, or the end?

I'm fine with what I locked in yesterday, but I realized this morning that I was being dumb and not doing the math right, and if I shuffled some of my add-on miniature choices into the Star Colonel KS pledge level package I'm ~$60 shy of being able to get the cannon character without dropping any other stuff I wanted (the holidays ended up being a lot more lucrative for me than I'd been expecting). I don't know that I could afford it, but I'd like to know for sure whether it's even still possible to change.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    H3Knuckles wrote: »
    So, just to be clear, when they say closed Feb 9th, that means the beginning of the day, or the end?

I'm fine with what I locked in yesterday, but I realized this morning that I was being dumb and not doing the math right, and if I shuffled some of my add-on miniature choices into the Star Colonel KS pledge level package I'm ~$60 shy of being able to get the cannon character without dropping any other stuff I wanted (the holidays ended up being a lot more lucrative for me than I'd been expecting). I don't know that I could afford it, but I'd like to know for sure whether it's even still possible to change.

I would assume 2359 of the surveymonkey server time. But to be honest I think they might let some people email them in since I believe that the lock on the backer site locks later this month right?

oosik_betsuni.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Hm, might need to see if I can talk one of my siblings into loaning me the money.

Edit: Well, guess not.

H3Knuckles on
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Options
    Battletech Info locked in.

Betsuni is now an official member of the Oosiks as the Event Coordinator (picked that Title since I try to keep the Thursday Ooisk Nights going).

I locked mine in, too!

Hooray for the Oosiks, who now have most of a party-planning committee set up!