As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any sufficiently advanced [tech] thread is indistinguishable from a magic thread

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    I found a neat looking thing that was available as a live wallpaper for Android, so I decided I wanted it on my phone's lock screen. Except it turns out you can only put live wallpapers on the lock screen of a Huawei phone if it comes from Huawei's theme gallery.

Meanwhile I can put this thing on the lock screen of my older Asus tablet just fine.

Sometimes technology is stupid.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

f this, let's just bring back Polaroid

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Few things in life would make me happier than never having to deal with photos from mobile phones ever again.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    HefflingHeffling No Pic EverRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    70tguzrba1sp.png

Where are we at on that wireless future? Because my desk is some bullshit right now.

Doesn't it get uncomfortable having Number 5 staring at you all the time?

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Remember, Google people are smart because they went to fancier schools than you.

Sarcasm aside fuck our failed meritocracy

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Problems only happen because you didn't believe hard enough in The Algorithm

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    Hey tech thread, yesterday I was getting a swipe card printed to give me access to a new building, and the lady working the card printer took three tries to get the badge to come out properly. On the first two attempts, the photo and text on the card were coming out with misaligned colours, kind of like this:

HPCP3505DN_Color.jpg

Funny thing was, even though the quantity of inks coming out was okay, the printer was giving a low-ink error, and sure enough when the printer lady changed the cartridge all the colours lined up again. Could anyone who knows about printers hazard a guess as to why a new ink cartridge would fix an alignment problem? I'm afraid I didn't take note of the model of the machine.

• Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    Hey tech thread, yesterday I was getting a swipe card printed to give me access to a new building, and the lady working the card printer took three tries to get the badge to come out properly. On the first two attempts, the photo and text on the card were coming out with misaligned colours, kind of like this:

HPCP3505DN_Color.jpg

Funny thing was, even though the quantity of inks coming out was okay, the printer was giving a low-ink error, and sure enough when the printer lady changed the cartridge all the colours lined up again. Could anyone who knows about printers hazard a guess as to why a new ink cartridge would fix an alignment problem? I'm afraid I didn't take note of the model of the machine.

Well it's a printer so the answer is probably "Because fuck you."

Other than that, I can't think of a valid reason.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Printer's haunted.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    it depends heavily upon the type of printer, but lets go ahead and assume it's a cheap printer...

the method by which ink is dispensed out of an ink cartridge in an inkjet printer can be rightfully described as "stupid steampunk bullshit, how did this even work, what the fuck?"

some inkjets (maybe all?) dispense ink by creating a pulse of heat that pressurizes the ink and forces it out of the nozzle. if the ink volume is low, then the pressure generated may not be adequate to force the ink out in time, causing misalignment

its honestly unbelievable to me that this fucked up shitty design was able to print out my dank goku jpegs with such precision back in the day

• Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I will say that the cartridge was absurdly large. I've noticed that some printers, like the one I have at home, the cartridge is just the ink + a minimum of hardware needed to store and dispense it, whereas with others the cartridge seems to be half the inner workings of the machine.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    What in the fucking fuck

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    Not "giggl"? Have we stopped dropping letters from social media now?

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Way long ago I kickstarted a lumi keyboard for laughs. I just got it today. It is a nice piece of tech.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Way long ago I kickstarted a lumi keyboard for laughs. I just got it today. It is a nice piece of tech.

Pics or it didn't happen.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    to be fair to Giggle, reserving the right to collect and distribute your photos is something literally every social media site has to put in their terms of service in order to just host your pictures on their servers

I mean, everything else about it sounds really dumb, but that's pretty boilerplate

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Google Maps has a new icon. I hate it.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    That sounds like 'Working as intended' to me. Behold what non-removable batteries has wrought.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update

Tesla just seems like a great example of how profoundly stupid and greedy silicone valley can be.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    furlion wrote: »
    https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update

Tesla just seems like a great example of how profoundly stupid and greedy silicone valley can be.

Doctrine of first sale means I hope these greedy assholes get a large chunk of flesh ripped out in court

Madican on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    furlion wrote: »

Doctrine of first sale means I hope these greedy assholes get a large chunk of fresh ripped out in court

Why are you rooting against Lord Musk? Don't you care about saving the earth?

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/05/health/human-textile-yarn-study-scli-intl-scn/index.html
    200205113615-human-textile-study-exlarge-169.jpg

(CNN)It may sound like a gruesome detail from a dystopian movie, but a team of scientists believe yarn grown from human skin could soon be used to stitch up surgical patients and repair organs.

The researchers say their "human textile," which they developed from skin cells, can be used for knitting, sewing and even crochet, and can aid a number of medical procedures.
    The string-like substance would have the ability to "truly integrate into the host's body," the team from the University of Bordeaux in France said.
    "This novel strategy holds the promise of a next generation of medical textiles that will be mechanically strong without any foreign scaffolding," they wrote in their study, which was published in the journal Acta Biomaterialia.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Ok, two PC audio questions:

My desktop speakers' DAC, an Audioengine D1, has started playing up and is no longer working via usb to the PC. Thankfully it also has optical in, so I've hooked that up for now.
    I was considering looking into getting a replacement, but is there any real difference in the quality of audio I'm going to be getting with optical, compared to usb? My headphones and speakers are decent, but definitely not audiophile level.
    The D1 has worked great for almost 7 years, and if I'm good just sticking with the optical setup, then I'd rather do so and put off forking out another $200 as long as possible.

I also have a little Soundblaster Play 3, which I use primarily to clean up my mic audio when I'm using my headset. Since it's also a DAC, I tested out my headphones on it and after doing a few audio tests, I found I was actually able to hear a wider range of sound frequencies through it, compared to the D1, especially in the lower end.
    I figured the D1 would be more likely to give me a better quality sound, but it almost seemed like the Play 3 was feeding me a more... raw sound?
    Is this normal, or have I possibly failed to do something with my D1 to set it up properly?

Veldrin on
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    As far as I'm aware the D1 isn't particularly great, especially not for the price when the Schiit Modi is right there.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Got my second monitor in yesterday. Pretty happy with it

• Options
    As far as I'm aware the D1 isn't particularly great, especially not for the price when the Schiit Modi is right there.

I mean, yeah, I know that. But that doesn't really answer either of my questions at all.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Got my second monitor in yesterday. Pretty happy with it
    Having a second monitor is awesome, congrats.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »

I mean, yeah, I know that. But that doesn't really answer either of my questions at all.

Optical vs. USB shouldn't make a difference as long as your USB bus isn't ridiculously noisy. Do you have issues with other USB peripherals suffering from bad signal quality? Does your mouse skip and stutter, does your keyboard fail to register keypresses? They're both digital signals and both are capable of transmitting any kind of digital audio file at maximum resolution with no problem. It really depends on the DAC itself, but the only real logical way to design a DAC with USB and optical input will be to have the optical signal converter in the circuitry BEFORE the digital to analogue conversion takes place so they don't have to have two separate sets of that circuitry.

I don't know anything about setting up a D1 having not used one myself, but unless there's some sort of frequency filter or equaliser settings in play it shouldn't squash any frequencies itself. It may be that the Play 3 has higher output impedance than the D1 on its headphone output circuit which is helping it drive your cans better, resulting in the low frequency boost.

• Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    3D printing with living organisms 3:24
    https://youtu.be/gL_KuEu9ABQ

Man the aesthetics of our potential future seems like it will be very....bio organic looking? Not sure if I am using the right term

Peas on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    re: that giggle shit:

sex-determining facial recognition algorithms, real like phrenology

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    I mean, all cats are girls, it is known. Technology seems on track so far.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options

Optical vs. USB shouldn't make a difference as long as your USB bus isn't ridiculously noisy. Do you have issues with other USB peripherals suffering from bad signal quality? Does your mouse skip and stutter, does your keyboard fail to register keypresses? They're both digital signals and both are capable of transmitting any kind of digital audio file at maximum resolution with no problem. It really depends on the DAC itself, but the only real logical way to design a DAC with USB and optical input will be to have the optical signal converter in the circuitry BEFORE the digital to analogue conversion takes place so they don't have to have two separate sets of that circuitry.

I don't know anything about setting up a D1 having not used one myself, but unless there's some sort of frequency filter or equaliser settings in play it shouldn't squash any frequencies itself. It may be that the Play 3 has higher output impedance than the D1 on its headphone output circuit which is helping it drive your cans better, resulting in the low frequency boost.

Yeah I haven't really ever had any issues with a noisy USB bus and as far as I can tell the audio sounds exactly the same over optical, so that's good, I'll just stick with it.

I suspect the actual issue may be with the USB cable itself, as it's still providing power to the DAC via USB, just no signal.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    I mean, all cats are girls, it is known. Technology seems on track so far.

There's no way to disprove it. Have you ever seen a cat penis?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Yeah I haven't really ever had any issues with a noisy USB bus and as far as I can tell the audio sounds exactly the same over optical, so that's good, I'll just stick with it.

I suspect the actual issue may be with the USB cable itself, as it's still providing power to the DAC via USB, just no signal.

Is it just one usb port? Or a set of them on the same header? Ive had individual ports and headers fail before.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

Is it just one usb port? Or a set of them on the same header? Ive had individual ports and headers fail before.

The ports all seem to be ok as far as I can see, as I tried all of them and got the same issue with the DAC not working, but other devices work fine.

• Options
    webguy20 wrote: »

The ports all seem to be ok as far as I can see, as I tried all of them and got the same issue with the DAC not working, but other devices work fine.

If you're handy with a soldering iron you might be able to crack it open and replace the USB port on the DAC, or just stick with the optical.

This discussion has been closed.