As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The First Rule of [Cook Club] (Cook-along Week 46: Okonomyaki)

• Options
    PinfeldorfPinfeldorf Yeah ZestRegistered User regular
    The best thing to do with your would-be sourdough discardings is pretzels. Sourdough pretzels are the light and the truth.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    SilverWind wrote: »
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Day three: sourdough starter still feels like a prank.

"So the grey biscuit I made a couple of days ago has turned into room-temperature goo."
    "Yes, that's what you're going for."
    "And I'm going to keep throwing away half of it and adding more flour and water."
    "Yup."
    "And after I've kept this goo in a cabinet for a week and a half, I'm going to use it as an ingredient. In food. And instead of giving me mega-botulism it's going to give my bread a lovely tang."
    "That's about the size of it."

Ooh, I'm so happy you're doing it!

Are bubbles forming? It's such a magical, bizarre thing, I agree. Once it's set into a pattern you can keep it at much lower amounts and also in the fridge so you don't shed so much flour every week. But, you can also do a ton of things with the discard, including just plopping it into a pan and making a savoury pancake

Yeah, it really got to bubbling this morning. My house is pretty cold in the winter, so I've been keeping it in the oven with the light on. I moved it to the microwave overnight because I was using the oven for dinner, and I think it's even warmer in there. It seems like a happy little blob in there.

I think I'll try to make a sourdough pancake with the discard tomorrow morning, that sounds like a good idea. I'll also have extra bacon left over from the boaff byorbygingyon recipe, so I might go for an old-timey heart-stopper farm breakfast.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020

"So the grey biscuit I made a couple of days ago has turned into room-temperature goo."
    "And I'm going to keep throwing away half of it and adding more flour and water."
    "Yup."
    "And after I've kept this goo in a cabinet for a week and a half, I'm going to use it as an ingredient. In food. And instead of giving me mega-botulism it's going to give my bread a lovely tang."

Are bubbles forming? It's such a magical, bizarre thing, I agree. Once it's set into a pattern you can keep it at much lower amounts and also in the fridge so you don't shed so much flour every week. But, you can also do a ton of things with the discard, including just plopping it into a pan and making a savoury pancake

Yeah, it really got to bubbling this morning. My house is pretty cold in the winter, so I've been keeping it in the oven with the light on. I moved it to the microwave overnight because I was using the oven for dinner, and I think it's even warmer in there. It seems like a happy little blob in there.

I think I'll try to make a sourdough pancake with the discard tomorrow morning, that sounds like a good idea. I'll also have extra bacon left over from the boaff byorbygingyon recipe, so I might go for an old-timey heart-stopper farm breakfast.

The Shia LaBeouf Bourbon Onion?

Pinfeldorf on
  • Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Beef burgandy is simmering in my instant pot and smelling good. I should have taken my time to make sure each piece of beef was seared but I was lazy and didn't make the extra effort. I'm sure it's fine.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So I noticed that there was a link to Vegan broth like 5 pages ago, and I noticed a huge mistake.

The secret to a good vegan broth is lovage, aka love parsley aka celeryherb. It's a herb that's been forgotten since glutamate became a thing, but it used to be the industry standard for a filling, rich broth.
    The stems (with leaves) are picked from late spring and until mid autumn, used fresh or dried, and whenever you make a broth you drop a few centimeter long sprig of it in. It will taste very celery-like with a fairly strong flavor of its own, but it will also boost all flavors in there like dynamite. It just imparts a richness to any soup or stew.

Can't replicate Grandmas soup? Lovage is probably what you'te missing. Yes, "Love is the secret ingredient", love parsley that is.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
  • Options
    FFcsUFe.jpg

I used a bunch of whole mushrooms in mine and it was super good. Very tasty. I served it over mashed potatoes.

Em0R4s6.jpg

And now I have lunch sorted for the rest of time.

n2DSaRH.jpg

• Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    We made this yesterday! I added extra mushrooms and pearl onions--should have added more mushrooms, frankly. It was my first time working with pearl onions, and aside from how finicky they were to get peeled, it was fun

fqxhar936cor.png

What a comforting food! This is probably our preferred way to have red wine. Reminds me of a lovely mussels dish we made with white wine some time ago which I should add to the to cook list

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular

"Yup."

What the Welsh?!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You know I've never had beef burgundy? That's never come across my table before. The last time we really had a stew made with red wine was years ago, and it wasn't cooked for as long or as well as this was. All the flavors hitting you all at once was like getting smacked. Good lord. That is some fine food. I could sip that liquid until I drowned in it.

I only did certain elements of the prep, but I think this isn't nearly so much difficult as it is time-consuming. The pearl onions, in particular, are egregious! But man. Once you take that lid off and get your first spoon-full of that broth. That's some beef.

We used blade steak, and seared the outside before cutting it into more manageable pieces. About 90 minutes covered and then 30 minutes uncovered made the meat... I think "unctuous" is the best word. That 90 minutes was spent prepping the—why am I recounting this, y'all can read the Serious Eats recipe

Anyway that shit was delicious. It was almsot a religious experience. I am discovering that I love braised meat.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have made a Mistake, I came into this thread while hungry, and now I am for some reason dying of hunger for some beef bourgeoisie and mashed taters

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    aslg4s6l1x1l.png

Hell yeah, let's bwornmynyoun this bwoff right up! My grocery store didn't have pearl onions, so I doubled up on the regular onions. Sorry, Julia.

26qmgi8o1e28.png

Not gonna lie. If this had been one of the first steps instead of one of the last, I might have just eaten a pan of garlic butter mushrooms for dinner.

b2howvp2sgkq.png

All in all, a fine reason for the inevitable gout to finally set in. Thanks, Jules.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I agree that pearl onions were a nuisance to peel. They are cute but I think I will just use more regular onions next time.

• Options
    Yeah I don't like the texture of whole pearl onions at all, personally. Regular onions cut up for me.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Weird question, let's say I brown some mushrooms in butter, and then cook them in the stew, would they absorb moisture

• Options
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Weird question, let's say I brown some mushrooms in butter, and then cook them in the stew, would they absorb moisture

a bit, but not as much as you'd expect

mushrooms are weird to cook

• Options
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Bucketman wrote: »

a bit, but not as much as you'd expect

mushrooms are weird to cook

They're not really weird. Mushrooms ability to absorb moisture is mostly due to capillaries. So if you start by slowly heating mushroooms in oil they can basicly absorb enough oil to be the equivalent of deep fried. However, if you cook them in water first and then fry them or if you sautee them under high heat those capillaries will collapse and the mushroom will only absorb a minimum of water.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
  • Options
    Well it either got absorbed by mushrooms, or the issues with my oven being far too hot caused the gravy to boil out. The meat and veggies were delicious and so so tender, but there was no gravy to speak of. Still delicious and I might make a sauce for the leftovers, but didn't quite turn out. The potatoes were amazing and perfect though.

http://imgur.com/a/nLPBwIy

• Options
    That pot looks about right to me in terms of liquid

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Unfortunately I realized I Snapchatted most of the cooking process this week but didn't take actual pictures. That said, I do have a handful of process pics!

BbRwGpCh.jpg

1ybMJJ7h.jpg

xnnmNrFh.jpg

SzYLVc9.jpg

And the final product:

pqQVvKqh.jpg

Shroeum Bourguignon a la Milski. I took the Thyme for Health shroom recipe, sub'd zucchini for bell pepper, bumped the shrooms and liquid up by about 30%, and added a healthy dose of soy sauce and leek for some added flavor. For the potatoes, I made about three pounds of Anthony Bourdain's take on Mashed Potatoes Robuchon; I figured I'd use slightly more bourguignon and slightly less potatoes since the potatoes are way, way, way richer than usual, because they're 30% butter by weight.

The final result was amazing.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    That pot looks about right to me in terms of liquid

When I went to strain out there was no actual liquid, it all stuck to the ingredients

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I never bothered to strain the gravy, didn't seem necessary. I just removed the bay leaves and that was that.

I also made mine gravy heavy compared to a lot of the examples posted here, but to be fair I've never had beef burgundy before this cook club.

• Options
    I used this recipe and it was perfection

https://www.aspicyperspective.com/venison-bourguignon/

the only change I made was using 2 cups of wine and 1 cup of brandy and I substituted the storebought mushrooms for ones I foraged earlier in the year

• Options
    The gravy heaviness of beef burgundy always depends on what you're serving it with, but as a rule your sidedishes should all be very absorbing. Anything that prevents the potatoes from soaking up the gravy (like soft mashed potatoes with cream added, or heavily oiling your potatoes etc) should be banned.

Hell, if you overcook your potatoes so that they become crumbly and mealy? It just makes beef burgudy better, because they can soak so much gravy. Mash them with your fork and just sweep them through the gravy.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Ooh I had missed this thread. Boeuf bourgignion is a favourite dish of mine, that I cook using a Mish mash of recipes by now. Biggest difference from the Jules recipe was the start - I typically start by browning the meat, move it to a separate plate and add finely chopped onion that I caramelize. Then I add some balsamic vinegar and let that form into a nice gooey mass, after which wine and stock is added + the meat, and then let that reduce for some hours (basically the longer the better, also add carrots and things that are fine to leave for a long time, adding the mushrooms, bacon and small onions closer to serving time).

I also like how versatile it is in what you can serve it with - I like oven roasted root vegetables myself.

A Portuguese wine is probably the one I have med it with that I thought turned out the best, Dao I think. As long as it's a fairly fruity wine I think it should fit well.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    Dao is a gorgeous wine that no one seems to know about.

Enjoy it before it becomes fashionable

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    There are a number of good Portugese red wines I can get for less than $12 a bottle at my local liquor store since everybody sleeps on them, and I am grateful for it.

• Options
    Dao uses some really unusual grapes that you don't see outside of portugal. Although IMHO many of the Rioja wines tend to work just as well.
    Unlike in Julia Childs era nobody except the rich can afford a burgundy that has the right temperament for a beef stew.

• Options
    LuianeLuiane Registered User regular
    Dao uses some really unusual grapes that you don't see outside of portugal. Although IMHO many of the Rioja wines tend to work just as well.
    Unlike in Julia Childs era nobody except the rich can afford a burgundy that has the right temperament for a beef stew.

Always seems like a shame to use so expensive bottles for cooking to me, when you can get excellent results with cheaper wines.

Steam id: Varys
    LoL EU West nickname: Irridan
  • Options
    Yeah I grabbed a $6 bottle of merlot and it worked great

• Options
    might look like dintymoore (sp?) but it is in fact the best venison dish I have ever had in my life

nfikn9dkla08.jpg

• Options
    That reminds me of a Swedish classic called "pepparrotskött". Which is basicly a stew made with venison/beef/moose (one of them) and spiced with bayleaf and horseradish.

• Options
    Hah! Yeah, this isn't the most plateable meal I've ever cooked. My 4-H Consumer Decision Making coach would have strong words to say about the color palette and relatively uniform texture.

Don't care. Too tasty.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Posted up week five's recipe--since baguettes are a bit complex, I also included two crusty bread recipes (one instant yeast, one sourdough). I've never tried making a non-gluten free version of a baguette and am excited to do so. Now, to figure out what to serve with the bread...

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • Options
    Any kind of chowder goes along very well with a crusty bread. My personal favorite is roasted sweet pepper and corn chowder.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I did the thing. V1m's idea of mincing the mushrooms turned out great. This is sort of a mishmash of the Julia Child version and 3-4 other slow cooker Boeuf Bourguignon recipes I found kicking around online. Added baby potatoes in with about 90 minutes left, turned the slow cooker up to high and propped up the lid to allow some of the moisture to escape so it would thicken a bit. It turned out fantastic, definitely my favorite of the dishes I've attempted for cook club so far. Unfortunately(?) my wife loved it too, so I'm going to have to race her to the leftovers over the next few days.

xutjdgwtugvv.jpg

8z356borywwq.jpg

seyccozj4ruq.jpg

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I'm really excited to bake bread this week, I hardly ever bake anymore and I don't know if I've ever baked bread at home. I think the last time I did was in college, when I worked in the kitchen of a bed & breakfast.

• Options
    In my years as a cook the one thing I have figured out is that I'm terrible at bread.
    I can make flatbreads and I can make dark&nutty syrup&soured cream bread. That's it.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I don't particularly like crusty bread.

but I think I will give making some sort of a rounded loaf with maybe a pretzel crust?

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I wanna bake but I’m working all day Saturday so not certain I can set aside enough time for it.