As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Had a lot of fun playing some matches of this last night for likely the first time since Octane dropped. No victories, and learning the map is going to take a bit, but I still get a chuckle every time I bamboozle someone. Revenant's kit seems pretty ridiculous, with a lot of strategic depth packed into the Ultimate as discussed above; in the heat of battle, in can be super disorienting how defeating a Totem'd group initiates that sense of victory and the transition into post-battle recovery, only to have that same team suddenly bust through the door with full health.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    I'm not sure I get the new character yet. The suppression grenade is kinda good but most abilities aren't used in the heart of combat so it's an opening Gambit or to finish a Bangalore.

Can't figure out the ult at all.
    When I get the chance I think I'm gonna drag someone into the firing range with me and we'll shoot at eachother until we've identified what exactly death prevention does.
    Revenant’s ult sets down a totem. Anyone on the team can use the totem, putting them in a shadow state. When in shadow state, you'll only take health damage, no shields. When you die in shadow state, you warp back to the totem with 5 health and your original shields. The totem can be destroyed, and it has a finite duration and range, beyond which you'll lose shadow state.

Its strength is that it allows you to make really risky plays with a safety fallback, with the downside being that you have less health to work with while doing so.

Also, with his tactical, I think it affects people if they walk into it while it's sitting there, not just when he throws it. So it can act like a mine trap
    I was able to test it on my own when I remembered that grenades exist, so I can add to this that being sent back to the totem seems to erase DoTs.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    You ever think about how Octane can comfortably fire an LMG one-handed?

Selfie sticks can't hold themselves.

How are people syncing up on PC for this? The general PA discord or something else? I've been on a lot lately.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    First daily challenge - Play 2 matches
    Second daily challenge - Play 12 matches

Uhh, that's quite a jump.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Arteen wrote: »
    First daily challenge - Play 2 matches
    Second daily challenge - Play 12 matches

Uhh, that's quite a jump.

It's random now, and you can reroll them

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to doubt your commitment to sparklemotion, Arteen.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    By the way, Xbox Rewards is doing a promo where if you buy 10 bucks in coins (enough for the season pass) and download/play the game you get 2500 rewards points (enough for 1.25 Xbox Gift Card or you can save up for a 5 dollar one)

• Options
    Playing with randoms in Ranked usually means me moving ahead while the other two lag behind, get killed a bunch, and then I get them both back in only for them to get jumped AGAIN, so I tried to save them but ultimately it's just me somehow surviving until the end and timing my 3rd party fight perfectly to kill everyone and win while my two randoms spectate
    https://youtu.be/rfDhT42Q3AE

y7pm8s0cm5zf.png

• Options
    CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Played this for the first time since before Octane launched. First game did pretty well, got a bunch of kills and shook off some rust. Second game we had one of our squad leave, so it was just me and another dude and we duo'd to victory!

I'm super glad to see that with all of the balance changes they've made, Gibraltar is actually pretty damn good now.

• Options
    Playing with randoms in Ranked usually means me moving ahead while the other two lag behind, get killed a bunch, and then I get them both back in only for them to get jumped AGAIN, so I tried to save them but ultimately it's just me somehow surviving until the end and timing my 3rd party fight perfectly to kill everyone and win while my two randoms spectate
    https://youtu.be/rfDhT42Q3AE

y7pm8s0cm5zf.png

Hilariously, when my duo plays it's always a solo running off like mad, us tagging clearly where we're going to be and what we're doing, and then them dying and getting mad when we don't charge in to get third manned as we try to rescue them.

• Options
    Had a good handful of wins so far today, and some hilarious stuff happened as well.

This guy I chased forever to get the purple shield he stole from me
    https://youtu.be/1fQDtE6LHk0

This guy is just unlucky I guess
    https://youtu.be/A0rx5kzlEIg

Assorted win clips

• Options
    The sentinel is becoming a new favorite of mine

• Options
    Sorry for the triple post

Just got my 5th win of the day, and then after that nearly had a second but my over eager Revenant ran right into the enemy with no shields up and just died, and then despite downing two and wounding the third, the timid Lifeline let them all get up and heal rather than try to help us and we all died

The quality of teammates in Apex never ceases to amaze

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I also would have probably won a match with randoms, had they not decided to charge into a building individually instead of waiting where we were already positioned, on top of a structure that the other team could not access without walking through a killzone, and was also inside the next zone.

• Options
    Ok last clip I promise, but everytime I pick up the Kraber I tell myself it's a bad idea and yet...
    https://youtu.be/Duf0cF4s3Yc

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    What ranked tier gets me to the point that 1 teammate doesnt run off and die immediately

• Options
    What ranked tier gets me to the point that 1 teammate doesnt run off and die immediately

I'd say gold generally had teams sticking together pretty well.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular

I'd say gold generally had teams sticking together pretty well.

Then that's my goal.

Usually get 1 good teammate and 1 Leroy Jenkins

• Options
    There's an in-game text to voice tool mostly used on Xbox to troll teammates. I had a guy who Rambo'd on his own and died 15 seconds into landing. He spammed his tag so many times me and my buddy decide to ignore his body and just forage for more loot.

He chimes in over text to voice "Wow Looter 3000 sure looks like fun" because apparently we weren't bloodthirsty enough for him

I texted back "yeah being dead is probably more fun"

We went on to win that one

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    @squall99x and I have moved our way into Silver 3, with wins being a slightly more common event than the were the other day when I picked the game back up. I'm still super fidgety about switching characters every match, but it really is satisfying how much better the Defense characters are in the current meta (as opposed to release, when playing Gibraltar was a meme).

I dislike a lot about this current map though. I have no idea how much different it is compared to the un-exploded version that rotated out, but I much preferred King's Canyon. So many of the locations feel indistinct, and I regularly get confused trying to navigate within any of the building clusters, as they kinda went wild varying door placement and how you access different floors. And anytime we get a thirsty third that drops us in contested territory, I'm pretty much cursed to find nothing but scopes.

• Options
    Yeah I dont like this map as much as the old one

• Options
    I think I preferred the unexploded version, just because City areas on maps are always cool to me. The lava doesn't add much to the city area. I do like the new map though, it feels like it has a lot of nifty areas that I ignore for the train Everytime.

• Options
    Generally, I like their intent to change maps on us with some regularity. I hope they start rotating them more often. We've now got four, OG, OG-splodey, New, New-splodey. Variety is the spice of shooting mans.

• Options
    DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    I would be very happy to get out of World's Edge. It just isnt as fun.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Had a random match in non-ranked and with no sound since people were around. Dropped as Mirage with only a Crypto to help me. Things started slow, but then I found some enemies who were low shields to my blue, and dropped them with my RE-45 and Havoc. I don't usually start a match with 3 kills, so it was a weird start. Then try to stay ahead of the ring and loot, and get in a fight where they drop me, but I stack enough damage first that they die by the ring, giving me credit. MY Crypto revives me, but we get third partied. I run for a bit but Crypto drops. I heal up, and go finish off the two who first partied us, bringing the count up to 7 and am now fully kitted out. I grab Crypto's banner, but since this isn't ranked, he quickly quits when I don't immediately bring him back because I am being careful. The game progresses, and I get into top 2, and get spotted by someone. They pepper me with shots, but invisibility is clutch and I run. I repair, and I get eyes on two enemies. I take hopeful shots, thinking maybe I can take out two. I drop shields on both of them, but 1v2 is hard, and then the third shows up. I try to retreat and repair again, but they eventually find me and finish me off.

For a casual game that I didn't care about, it was exciting, fun, and totally different from my usual matches. I just can't help but think if Crypto were still up or say even a third, we maybe would have been able to pull it out (seeing as I had 2 of 3 pretty much dead before the third showed up).

I forgot how effective Mirage can be when you really need to run.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Had a random match in non-ranked and with no sound since people were around. Dropped as Mirage with only a Crypto to help me. Things started slow, but then I found some enemies who were low shields to my blue, and dropped them with my RE-45 and Havoc. I don't usually start a match with 3 kills, so it was a weird start. Then try to stay ahead of the ring and loot, and get in a fight where they drop me, but I stack enough damage first that they die by the ring, giving me credit. MY Crypto revives me, but we get third partied. I run for a bit but Crypto drops. I heal up, and go finish off the two who first partied us, bringing the count up to 7 and am now fully kitted out. I grab Crypto's banner, but since this isn't ranked, he quickly quits when I don't immediately bring him back because I am being careful. The game progresses, and I get into top 2, and get spotted by someone. They pepper me with shots, but invisibility is clutch and I run. I repair, and I get eyes on two enemies. I take hopeful shots, thinking maybe I can take out two. I drop shields on both of them, but 1v2 is hard, and then the third shows up. I try to retreat and repair again, but they eventually find me and finish me off.

For a casual game that I didn't care about, it was exciting, fun, and totally different from my usual matches. I just can't help but think if Crypto were still up or say even a third, we maybe would have been able to pull it out (seeing as I had 2 of 3 pretty much dead before the third showed up).

I forgot how effective Mirage can be when you really need to run.

Adjacent to that - I have really been enjoying playing Crypto since I "figured him out" at least half way. I won three games last night and I like to think they were at least in some small part aided by either letting my teammates know to "Not fucking go over there its a whole team" or " Hey this is exactly where these guys are since I know you are going to push anyway.

People get super, super paranoid about the drone if it keeps flying by and harassing them. I managed to get assist credit on an entire team kill because I kept opening doors around them poltergeist style and popping my EMP on them. They were so paranoid and afraid too move out into firing range when they obviously knew people were watching them that they died to the ring by waiting to long. It would probably have made them mad to know I was hiding in a nook under a bridge because they game spawned me in solo. Think I ended up either 2nd or 3rd by myself that game - just fucking with people with the drone. *shrugs*

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    I think I nearly had a mental breakdown with trying to break a Crypto drone with an LStar the other day

• Options
    I think I nearly had a mental breakdown with trying to break a Crypto drone with an LStar the other day

And it's soo good. Not only does it do your surveillance stuff and can initiate pushes with the EMP but it can pick up banners and open loot containers. The banners thing is clutch as hell. The loot container thing can let you see ahead of time if it is worth running across the killbox to loot 2 level 1 barrel stabilizers and a bit of shotgun ammo. Also because once again people get paranoid as fuck when they start to hear loot containers open around them and they can't see whats doing it. Hilarious.

I feel like all I ever see the (rare) Crypto on another team do is pop their drone and fly it in to EMP. Ya doin' it all wrong son.

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Having never played Crypto I didn't know it could do any of that. And thus Crypto sounds way better.

• Options
    For me the trick to crypto is getting the drone into our third man blind spot as quickly as possible, then getting back into the fight so we're not 2v3ing. The drone can be killed leaving you out of position for team fights, but using it to establish a backup route with knowledge on whether a team is sneaking up on you is clutch.

• Options
    For me the trick to crypto is getting the drone into our third man blind spot as quickly as possible, then getting back into the fight so we're not 2v3ing. The drone can be killed leaving you out of position for team fights, but using it to establish a backup route with knowledge on whether a team is sneaking up on you is clutch.

Yeah, I try to make the decision on the fly (ba dum tiss) as to whether or not I need to park it or keep it moving for a little while longer based on how many players I have spotted or if they are doing a lot of flanking and movement. If I am trying to secure an area overall I will park it near whatever tunnel/choke point leads into the area in order to know if someone is entering without us seeing.

Getting it in position for a team fight that means you can constantly see the enemies behind cover is *chef's kiss*

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    3 wins so far this season. Hoping for gold by tonight.

• Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I didn't know the drone could do anything but fly around and open doors - that other stuff sounds amazing.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I think my favorite way the drone has worked out for me so far was getting it over a squad of enemies whose Caustic had laid gas traps around the area. Start setting the traps off, and the squad, even the Caustic, can't see shit as we circle around outside the range of the gas, but we can see them perfectly fine, and are able to just cut them down with impunity as they're caught in their own snare.

This is also a lesson that if you're a Caustic and facing a Crypto, don't try to secure the outside of a small building with gas. It was one of those buildings over in train yard (come to think of it, I guess those are all train cars). Those buildings were just the right sort of permeable and small that they couldn't take any good cover within the gas, and they placed the gas canisters in a perimeter around it, which kept them from being able to easily escape from the gas cloud to a place where they could see shit. If the gas was inside a more securable building, it wouldn't have been so advantageous to us, but the way they set it up meant that it just completely gassed their position. So if you're a Caustic facing a Crypto, you can still use your gas, but just be mindful about it. Try to keep it to close quarters stuff, because out in the open it can be more of a boon to the Crypto for a one-way LoS blocker than it is to you as CC.

cB557 on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    squall99x wrote: »

Can't click the link, but is it Johnny Young Bosch? Nice

• Options

Yep. Was trying to find a way to embed it but got tired of futzing with it. Does it not work for you at all or just right now?

oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options

Yep. Was trying to find a way to embed it but got tired of futzing with it. Does it not work for you at all or just right now?

I'm at work and they've blocked Reddit, which is a move I actually support

• Options
    Ok y'all, storytime

I'm playing ranked, and foolishly decide to steer my random team to the train. One guy dies, I leave to gear up, and then we regroup and mosey to the Supply Station. We find a lot of good stuff and the friendly Octane gives me a purple shield (nice dude). We make our way through the big laser drill and move towards the watery valley leading to the party barge. We see a fight going on by the tunnel leading into the water, so we collapse on them and kill both teams

As I'm looting, a fourth team shows up out of nowhere and kills me instantly. The Octane, being a massive bro, saves my tag while the other guy distracts the team. The circle is pushing us through the train tunnel, towards the train stop above the Lava pit. They call me back in, I find a basic shield and they call out a mastiff for me to grab. I'm like, fuck it, at least I can try to get some kills for these guys.

We get pushed into the train tunnel and our third guy dies, me and Octane scramble over to the one building left. 5 teams left, and it's a small circle. In the chaos of the fights, I manage to grab a better shield, and we heal up while the enemies kill each other.

Finally, circle is closing on us, a mad dash as 3 teams all converge trying to get the high ground above our position. I put up a very dumb Zipline incase, and somehow during all that, me and the Octane mop up everyone and I win despite losing everything and being the reason we go into so many dumb fights. Not sure how we won that, but Mastiff is my baby now.

https://youtu.be/19Kj9DyECD8

5ig3eovr2svd.png