As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SE++ Minecraft: We're Still Here!

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I'd be down for a new world.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Just to expand that a bit, with the new nether and everything pretty much fully explored and the server dying down a bit, It might be time to start a new world? Maybe this time with a stronger "lets do a community build at spawn" feel from the start. The best parts of a community server are when we all work together and with Bees and Nether adventures ahead of us, and the server down to only a few people on at peak times, now seems like a great time to start a new map to reboost attention.

I'll have two agree posts below for the options of mod this map or make a new one:

I'm tagging everyone who asked to be whitelisted here to draw attention to the idea:
    @nuka
    @webguy20 (assuming he ever gets his account back)
    @WuShock
    @Gvzbgul
    @Gennenalyse Rueben
    @Aeyther
    @Bluedude152
    @Defster
    @CaptGigglesworth
    @Devlin_Dragonus
    @Dr. Flamingo
    @apricotmuffins
    @Skeith
    @Radiation
    @Mirro
    @PassionateLovie
    @sarukun
    @Vegemyte
    @Twixxo
    @Mayabird
    @mrpaku
    @Lucedes
    @BahamutZERO
    @Darmak
    @Decomposey
    @Empirical
    @chosenofsotek
    @grey
    @spono
    @Hofsta
    @Tef
    @Gumpy
    @discrider
    @Garick
    @eldercore
    @sir penguin
    @JpsCrazy
    @Cathode Ray Tube
    @mccart
    @chrishallett83
    @Delzhand
    @cB557
    @Jakarrd
    @Duke 2.0
    @Ginger Mijango
    @Vrtra Theory
    @Mirro
    @Mortal Sky
    @Glitterkitten

Enc on
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Agree with this post if you DON'T want a new map and want to mod the existing one.

Enc on
  • Options
    Agree with this post if you want a NEW world to start fresh.

• Options
    Vrtra TheoryVrtra Theory Registered User regular
    I tossed my vote in for NOT having a new world, but thought I'd explain.

I've never quite understood the "fresh new world smell". If I was totally bored by what I was building (which has happened to me twice just on this map), I'd just pack up a few things, leave the old base behind, and start fresh somewhere a thousand blocks away. You can totally just pretend your old stuff doesn't exist, without having to give up all the infrastructure you've already poured time and energy into.

When I hear "start a new world", what that means to me is not something exciting. It's just someone saying: take all your armor and weapons and tools, take your iron farms and enderman farm and guardian farm and that witch farm you've been working on for a couple weeks, take the shop you built at spawn, and throw it all in the lava and start over. That's not fun to me, it just adds like four more months of work before I can get back to a position where it's fun again.

For whatever reason, a new map attracts players even though they could just login on the current map, tear down their spawn building, and rebuild it, without having to start over from scratch. Maybe people like that early phase where you need to find your first diamond and build your first enchanting table? (I don't.)

Anyway, that's my thought. Of course I would play on a new map, but it doesn't excite me.

Are you a Software Engineer living in Seattle? HBO is hiring, message me.
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Ha ha ha, I haven't even built a house yet!

• Options
    Part of the fun of the game for a lot of us is the discovery of the map and the building of that infrastructure, though. Normally I'd agree with the "move 1000 blocks and start over" deal, because that's also super fun with me and I would be happy to do that if most folks want to go that route. But with the amount of new stuff that generates in biomes recently added my hat is in the new world ring. Bees naturally spawning are pretty rad. As is the nether.

I wonder if its possible to port a second overworld as well, or a new spawn location 5k blocks away from the current borders or something.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    RIP half-finished monastery, you had a really nice location. I think I just need to accept that survival building is not something I will ever be able to accomplish what I envision in, I need creative mode resources to make anything I'm happy with before losing interest from all the digging up rocks.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Would this be an opportunity to make the server crossplay compatible? If not, my vote should probably be discarded.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    The server is on the java edition, so probably not (I think)? Tagging Aeyther here.
    @Aeyther

Enc on
  • Options
    AeytherAeyther Registered User regular
    I think there's something that makes the windows 10 version work with the java edition, but I don't think it's anything official. I looked into the cross-compatibility for the switch but as far as I can tell, the switch (and other consoles?) can only do realms, not custom servers. (I may be totally wrong about this, feel free to correct me).

There's already a plugin on the server to restrict inventories cross-world, so there's always the possibility of both starting a new world and keeping the old one if people want to continue on the current map. I was considering hosting the old SE++ maps on the server as well as some kind of museum maps that people could fly around and look at, separate from the main map. Might tie that in via bungiecord or something, haven't looked into it too much yet.

Thanks for the posts @Enc

• Options
    Also the server is officially down now, gonna move it over to the new place and once I get internet there I'll set it back up and update the server IP.

• Options
    Doing the layering thing with multiple worlds seems like the ideal situation. A new world for people wanting that, portals back to old worlds for people wanting to continue. Go back and visit your old builds and worlds for people who want that.

That sounds amazing, Aeyther.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    If we did a new server id love if we focus more on group builds

Last map everyone vanished into their own corner of the world and it was a bummer

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I might just be grumpy I couldnt get bounties working though 🙃

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I'd be interested in a group build but I've learned that I only really like to build one thing -- floating castles made out of purpur and prismarine. Hence my grumpiness about new worlds, it takes quite a while to get the whole "mass production of purpur and prismarine" going on a new world before I can start building my megacastles.

But, once we get there, it's fun to collaborate!

• Options
    Yeah a new layer world to explore with the old one still active... that would be pretty ideal for everyone.

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    Considering how often I get sidetracked on things and barely finish something, I'm down for growing a new map. Generting resources does take a good investment but it is a happy grind I don't mind. Having access to the other maps would be dope though, if it is not too terribly hard to set up.

Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    I feel like two maps would just make the “everyone is in their own world” problem worse

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I feel like two maps would just make the “everyone is in their own world” problem worse

This is potentially very true.

• Options
    You can save inventories between maps by transferring player files. Giving everyone 10 shulker boxes to stop some of the early game grind would be nice

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Maybe the new world is cloud islands? So like its more a top layer to the existing world?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I may be giving into my worst habits here, but I vote new world. And I would love a big collaborative spawn project.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    My ADHD keeps my attention from being focused on Minecraft too long anymore (as you all saw), but I'd be down for a new world and would jump back in for that. The new nether biomes are rad, and once they fix ghast spawn rates in the soul valley biome it'll be perfect (unless Mojang is okay with it currently, but I wouldn't think so. It's pretty nuts lol)

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Hey just as a heads up I had to buy a new account for reasons to do with the shift to Mojang accounts a few years back, so my current/new username is HamamelisVA

• Options
    Man, I keep refreshing hoping for news. : D

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Woo!

Can y'all throw @Belasco32 and @spool32 on the whitelist? With a new server possibly happening I think we'd like to hop in :)

neither of us have played for many, many a year... since well before Microsoft bought them. Hopefully that's OK? Last time we were doing stuff, the Nether didn't exist at all...

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    I've been so busy at work (just got off nine straight days, which would've been 12 but someone was willing to cover for me today) that I haven't had time for Minecraft. I keep hoping my schedule will settle down but minor disasters keep happening and whoops that's another ten hour day for me. (Apologies for not restocking PMTC.)

• Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://www.pcgamer.com/minecraft-nether-update-release-date/

some more reading material. Piglins sound like you'll want extra gold armor to carry around. also, shroomlights! wonder if they are as bright as torches? And target blocks.

Also, here are some notes on patch 1.15.2.
    Bees no longer anger when a nearby nest/hive is destroyed using a silk touch tool
    Added doPatrolSpawning and doTraderSpawning game rules that control spawning of patrols and wandering traders, respectively
    Added gui_light option in block models to allow controlling light when rendering model as item in GUI
    Controls light when rendering block model inside slot. If set to side, model will be rendered like block. If set to front, model is shaded like flat item
    Any birch or oak sapling grown near a flower within 2 blocks distance on the same y-level has a 5% chance of having a bee nest
    Bee Nests now have a 2% chance of spawning in Flower Forests
    Bee Nests now have a 0.2% chance of spawning in Forest, Wooded Hills, Birch Forest, Tall Birch Forest, Birch Forest Hills, and Tall Birch Hills biomes

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png
  • Options
    The new blue torches are activly worse than regular torches, its weird

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    KhepraKhepra Registered User regular
    I haven't been active on the SE server since... 1.13 maybe? The time where spawn was a venice-esque sky city.. But I've come into a bit of free time and I'd love to jump in on a fresh server -- don't weight this vote too heavily though; at the end of the day I think it's important to respect the wishes of those who've already invested significant time and effort on the current world! That being said, I may have to be re-whitelisted, my minecraft username is asc_cathode.

• Options
    eldercoreeldercore Registered User regular
    votes fresh server for the new nether stuff - dont like the idea of having 2 nethers

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    A new layer of cloud islands would be real cool.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I was also thinking about a tower city, but the aesthetic draw would be tons of sky bridges between buildings. Of course that presents several design issues, but it could be interesting.

Another floating island would be rad. But those take a lot of work to set up so I understand if it's not an option.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    I suppose another option could be keeping the old map and doing a re-districting project?

What I mean by that is desígnate areas of the map and have like modern town, fantasy town, sky city, pirate town etc.

Might be the happy medium between starting some fresh builds, but avoiding the grind for end game items and farms?

We could still refresh the nether, it would mean that we’d have to rebuild those awesome highways people built

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I am excited about the target blocks. You could kind of do a "shoot here to activate something" with pressure plates but having a real block opens up possibilities, like a certain spot in the ceiling will open a hidden door.

• Options
    Oh! Also, even if you aren't trying to hide something, I can think of several redstone builds recently where being able to stand in one spot and start up a machine without running redstone for a lever would be very handy.

• Options
    Server is back up for now, I will need to run coax to my new office room sometime this week and the server will be down again for a short time while that work happens.

• Options
    Aeyther wrote: »
    Server is back up for now, I will need to run coax to my new office room sometime this week and the server will be down again for a short time while that work happens.

So what do you think re: server updates? I assume its a way off while you get settled in.