As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Warhammer - Age of Sigmar] The New Fantasy

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    Would it be worth buying the poison wind mortar from island if blood for $18 to make copies of the heads and the backpack so I can make some Skaven acolytes out of plague monks?

If you are good at doing that, then yeah. What I've found a better use for my mortars (I have three) is to drop a magnet in the barrel, and then you can fit any of the Stormfiend weapons directly on there, so you have the option of a warp-grinder weapon team, Warpfire weapon-team, or ratling gun weapons team

And, bonus, if they bring back the mortars, you've still got them!

Adding ad-mech parts to Skaven is kind of my jam, also, and I've combined Skitarii Vanguard packs and rifles with stormvermin bodies to make my Acolytes. It's much cheaper, and no one's had a complaint about them yet.

I also used the Ad Mech arquebus to make jezzails, and they look and work very well.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Someone just showed me some acolytes made from the blood bowl skaven minis which looked pretty good, what with the actual throwing poses and all.

• Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Got an amazon gift card so decided to figure out the best way to spend it on Warhammer. For my Bonereapers, the 2k point list I am building to includes Arkhan the Black. Didn't realize I could get that model in a start collecting box. I don't play any other death armies, so it looks like I can flip the warriors and black knights/hex wraiths for about $20-$25 each. Basically, after the gift card and what I'll sell those kits for, Arkhan will be somewhere in the $0-15 range, which seems fair for ~25% of my army.

Huh, are the infantry skellingtons in that box on 32mm bases?

I think they’re in 25mm - that’s what the standalone box comes with according to GWs website

Can confirm they're on 25mm bases. @Dr_Keenbean got me that box to get me to start playing AoS, I've painted all of it and I've lovehated him ever since.

Side note: I could use some skeleton warriors for my non-exploding skeletons list, Vanguard, so I'd like to talk about buying them off you if/when you get 'em.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Does anyone around here happen to play Underworlds to a degree higher than my own 'extremely casually'? Ran into a rules quibble this evening and I didn't want to bog the game down so we just kept rolling, but if an effect is modifying an attack to the tune of 'The next attack action with a range of 1 or 2 has +1 damage' will that work on an attack which has range 3+ on the profile but is made within 1-2 hexes of the target? I was under the impression that it did not, but my opponent believed the opposite.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    It’s range stat on the attack that matters, not the distance between the fighters. A range three attack used on the guy next to you is still a range three attack.

From the FAQ:
    vblbzizqdonf.png

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Awesome, I figured the intent was to stop you using damage boosts on safe ranged attacks, thanks. Didn't have time to check the FAQ mid-game.

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    I think all of the warcry options are plastics across the board, so that's probably why.

Oh you're right for sure. Clans Moulder and Eshin sure do seem like afterthoughts though. Not that vermimus is more than clanrats and stormvermin.

Weird that Eshin gets it's own verminlord and Skyre doesn't though.

• Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    The AoS -> Warcry rules kinda seem rushed in general when compared to the actual Warbands :\

gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I'm guessing today's rumour engine pic is another Lumineth mountain aspect hammer.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    pardzh wrote: »
    The AoS -> Warcry rules kinda seem rushed in general when compared to the actual Warbands :\

Honestly, I'd prefer if they kept it entirely separate instead of shoehorning all AoS armies into it.

• Options

Honestly, I'd prefer if they kept it entirely separate instead of shoehorning all AoS armies into it.

Maybe but at the same time it is a pretty great game and people really want to use "their guys" and not just different chaos boys.

Some people were really upset that the at announcement it seemed to be chaos only.

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

In the podcast they did with Jervis Johnson he talks about the creation of Warcry and other things about it. I kind of wanted to get into it just the terrain was more for me since I would use it for Kill team

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    As soon as kill team came out people were clamoring for AoS kill team. War cry fills that role

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    I think WC is better than KT. So much less bookkeeping.

• Options

Hard disagree-

It's easier with my life to play killteam level games than to do sprawling multi-thousand point games. I was pretty annoyed when they showed off Warcry, because I had a lot of fun with Killteam for similar reasons but the army I collect (skaven) wasn't there!

So I've actually been pretty excited to have the ability to use my Skaven against my wife's Nighthaunt in Warcry, even if the Skaven rules are...only just okay.

The models I get to use are great, and I'm very happy about it! Stormfiends! Rat Ogors! Giant Rats! Stormvermin! Clanrats!!!! It's like a list of my favorite units. I'm sad that Acolytes aren't present, but that's fine.

I am a bit disappointed with the Skaven abilities though. They have a pretty strong quad on the Plague Monk leader, and an okay Triple on the Stormfiends, but the Double from the Packmaster is just a copy of the same ability from a lot of other warbands. The Double ability that most Skaven share is great, but it only works on a 4+, which is kind of hindering. The Stormvermin double isn't bad either, but I wish it applied to all units.

That being said, the Triple that all the Skaven leaders get is insane. The range is really short, but holy moly can it up your output significantly.

• Options
    Also, Skaven get a warband model that's 35 points with movement 8.

That's CRAZY!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I was stoked for Warcry being (initially) all chaos because I obky had one army at the time and it was chaos.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I was stoked for Warcry being (initially) all chaos because I obky had one army at the time and it was chaos.

Yeah but then it was only those special chaos boys and none of the pre existing chaos units which has only recently been rectified for 3/7 chaos factions.

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What would be a good price on the warcry starter terrain? Trying to find it on ebay since I don't want anything else out of that box.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Who do you guys watch for batreps?

I've been watching miniwargaming, but they really seem to screw up a lot of rules.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Who do you guys watch for batreps?

I've been watching miniwargaming, but they really seem to screw up a lot of rules.

I like Guerilla Miniatures Games and Sword 'n' Steele is good for Warcry batreps as far as I've seen.

I haven't played enough Warcry to know if they mess up the rules, but GMG is pretty good at not doing that for Sigmar.

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Play on Tabletop

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCJ4-WFTrDNWvcM7dEC6E2mw

Tabletop tactics

https://m.youtube.com/user/tabletoptactics

Tabletop Titans

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC-3TjY277uBsBl8VU8C4nqw

Strikingscorpian 82

https://m.youtube.com/user/StrikingScorpion82

I enjoy the above battle reports.

Forgive the links as I’m on my new phone and I’m still working things out

Edit oops the above is 40k battle reports. I’ll go back to my corner

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    GMG does a lot of games but his videos are well done and he is pretty good with the rules. A lot of what I watch is 40k not AoS like Table Top Tactics, Striking Scorpion, and WinterSEO.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    I like GMG a lot but there are some rules mistakes in there sometimes. Dude produces an insane amount of content and covers almost every system you can think of tho so it's impressive.

I've watched a few Dice Chatter reports. As far as I can tell he plays purely by himself, and his commentary is a little forced, but his reports are super clear and easy to follow and very well made, so worth a look.

Rerolling Ones do mostly AoS reports with a couple of Warcry and Underworlds ones, and they also manage to have actually funny skits at the start of their videos, which is pretty rare

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    I just watch Battlecast on youtube about underworlds

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    The main GMG guy who holds the camera and does most of the stuff, does small things to keep leaning games in his direction, and it kinda bothers me. Like making sure his enemies move lined up with a template, but his are ok to be out of line. Just little things like that constantly through out different games they've played.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/02/06/cartography-in-the-old-worldgw-homepage-post-1fw-homepage-post-1/

Hmmm, maybe something like warcry with imperial warbands that can double as freeguilders in AoS?

Also read that the heraldy points to the time of the four emperors. So more evidence for empire vs empire.

honovere on
  • Options
    My guess is closer to Horus heresy. Main units work for any faction with a smattering of faction specific stuff

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    What faction would you say typically fields the fewest models?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2020

EDIT: oh this is AOS and I'm dumb

probably ogors

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

EDIT: oh this is AOS and I'm dumb

probably ogors

Well I know it's the GW rumor/joke about the Sons of Behemat. I am curious if it's really going to be giants if so then I would say a larger army would be 5 models

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    almost definitely ogors, specifically beastclaw raiders.

and maybe comedy option monsters-only Anvilgard.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    gristlegore monster spam is, I believe, the smallest possible option as it allows behemoths to be taken as battleline instead

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Ogors and Cities can also get battleline behemoths.

Edit: To add some more pertinent information to this post -
    There's a baked in weakness to low model count/elite armies in that objectives are scored through number of bodies, and additionally it's generally going to be more valuable to buff up a big unit of whatever than it is a few tough guys, so you don't generally see too many low model count armies around.

Ogors basically have no choice but to go low-model by virtue of their design, but they are also probably the best book in that space, with rules to help overcome the issue with scoring objectives, there's been a few relatively successful lists recently that are basically just 4-5 Stonehorns and some screening elements.

Kharadron Overlords should probably have a mention here now too, you can run a pretty decent list which is mainly various boats, endrinriggers, and heroes.

Slaanesh and FEC both technically run low-model lists, but that's because they can supplement their initial force with highly effective summoning, so it's hard to really count them.

Lots of books are capable of running low-model lists (9 steam tanks Cities of Sigmar, Troggherd Gloomspite Gitz, etc, etc.) but none of them are really that effective compared to a more traditional lots of bodies list, though they are often quite fun to play, 9 steam tanks might lose most games on objectives, but flying around blowing stuff up all game is still a blast.

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    Haven't tried since Mawtribes came out, but my 2k Beastclaw Raider list was 11 models.

• Options
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular

I'd like to say you're welcome to the entire AoS community at large. My very recent purchase of the Skaven half of carrion empire so I could have the bombardier has made this possible.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Stragint wrote: »

I'd like to say you're welcome to the entire AoS community at large. My very recent purchase of the Skaven half of carrion empire so I could have the bombardier has made this possible.

Hey man thanks for your sacrifice.

With these new card sets it seems like cities of Sigmar and fyreslayers are the only two factions with no rules.

TheGerbil on
  • Options

fucking finally!

also that sphiranx looks rad as hell

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Played my first game of AoS today in like almost 2 years? Year and a half? Just a 1500 point friendly with a guy from my club (the guy who runs NoVA). I was playing Slaves to Darkness and I won't lie I teched hard for KO who he was playing. I wanted to give myself a chance to learn the game a bit.

My list:
    1530 (I had a back up but he let me play it)
    STDs-Despoilers
    Heros:
    Daemon Prince with Sword/Mark of Nurgle/General
    - -1 to hit verse ranged attacks warlord trait
    - Reduce rend by 1 relic

Lord on a dino/mark of nurgle

Chaos Sorc/mark of nurgle
    -Deep strike spell

Units
    15x Chaos Warriors with weapons and shields. Horn and banner.

5x Chaos Knights w lances and shields. Horn and Banner.

5x Chaos Knights w ensorcelled weapons. Horn and Banner

1x Chariot w/ Great Weapon

Battalion with everything in it but the Prince and Sorc. The Lord on a Dino can fight in the hero phase as well.

Not amazing but actually was pretty tough. The -1 to be hit bubble from the Prince was huge. Warriors with the reroll saves were actually really hard to shift. One of the knight just sat on a 3 point objective all game. Another survived around of shooting with the sorcs buff (reroll armor saves) and then died in the next turn in close combat.

He had a big ship, medium ship, and small ship. The big and medium had full loads of dudes. And three air balloon guys. So much shooting.

Overall I had fun. My Aspiring Champ in my warriors survived till turn 3 and took two balloon dudes down with him. Got himself some gold. Prince continues to do nothing but be tanky. The dino lord died to his whole army unloading into it.

Nice to play AoS. KO are a rough intro because it is like a 40k army verse an AoS army with the shooting and deep strike.

I am still amazed how fast big ol'chaos warriors. Scourge of the old world just die in AoS. To it feels like everything.

I mean also his army had basically 100% -1 or more rend which didn't help.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.