As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fight your brain and/or a child in [Disco Elysium]

12346»

• LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular
    gosh

i'm gonna be thinking about this game for a while

its incredibly heartfelt

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    No decision in any game has ever felt as bad as
    Selling Kim's spinners, which he knows are dumb but also he thinks are very cool

looks like there isn't a good place to get any of the OST tracks yet.

there's definitely a few i'd like to listen to again

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I think a bug is preventing me from singing karaoke

Not having played yet, just reading the thread and its always-wild sentences, I thought you meant an insect.

And it didn't even make me blink.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited October 2019
    This topped the Steam sales charts

Was that only possible because there are six different ways to buy Destiny 2? Perhaps.

But it's still quite the feat for an aggressively weird and cerebral CRPG from an Eastern European developer

Poorochondriac on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Selling Kim's spinners, which he knows are dumb but also he thinks are very cool

Where is the place that happens? I'm on that path but I can't seem to find where to do it.
    I thought Fritttt's was the place to sell them, but I can't find an option.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Maddoc wrote: »

Where is the place that happens? I'm on that path but I can't seem to find where to do it.
    I thought Fritttt's was the place to sell them, but I can't find an option.
    There’s a pawnshop on the south edge of the map

IKknkhU.gif
    Ugh, thank you. I didn't even realize there was more to see in that direction.

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I kinda wanna start a new game just to listen to Ancient Reptile Brain

VayBJ4e.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    so I'm just gonna have the Whirling-In-Rags music in my head forever, huh

6F32U1X.png
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    hit a bug that meant I had to close the game without saving and lost an hour of progress and woof, that's gonna take the wind out of my sails for a bit

6F32U1X.png
  • PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    hit a bug that meant I had to close the game without saving and lost an hour of progress and woof, that's gonna take the wind out of my sails for a bit

You can rapid-advance through dialogue trees by hitting the space bar a bunch

Not ideal, I know, but it doesn't take as long to make up lost time as you may be fearing

Also, I don't think the game explicitly points it out but it does support using F5 to quicksave.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I had a bug recently with (church area spoilers?)
    the "musicians" in the tent
    There's a skill check to make to basically get an alternate end to the questline, and during the final choice sequence, I got a Shivers option that seemed like it would give more information or diverge to a different dialogue branch. Instead it just...ended the conversation, and there was literally no way for me to get back to the decision point, so those options got locked out to me for no apparent reason. Thankfully I had an autosave about 10 minutes before, but man, I could have lost a LOT of time to that.

IKknkhU.gif
    The soundtrack is now appearing on youtube and i love it.

Spoilers for the ending sequence

• WheatBun01WheatBun01 Face It, Tiger Registered User regular
    I'm kinda stuck, if anyone can point me in the right direction
    I'm at the church, Egg Head wants a new song. I'm supposed to look for Ruby along the coast but can't find anything to interact with, and I can't find an island to investigate for the gunshot. And every boardwalk looking place I've tried to also judge the shot from doesn't offer me anything. Am I missing something?

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm a big fan of being a cop that relies a lot on Shivers, because I can't actually explain anything, I don't know anything, and I'm only starting to learn how to be empathetic, but I can confidently state what's happening three miles away or why the Heart of the City believes someone needs to whatever.

Also dang is Kim great. He's very patient.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    WheatBun01 wrote: »
    I'm kinda stuck, if anyone can point me in the right direction
    I'm at the church, Egg Head wants a new song. I'm supposed to look for Ruby along the coast but can't find anything to interact with, and I can't find an island to investigate for the gunshot. And every boardwalk looking place I've tried to also judge the shot from doesn't offer me anything. Am I missing something?

So, to find ruby you wanna make sure you've pretty much done everything with the hardy boys. Then, as far as I know, you gotta have a look at the shut down electronics building. There's a thing to look at there that should hopefully get you on your way, although there's a hard check there and i'm not sure if there's any other way around it.

There's no way of getting to the island or the boardwalk shot location without having a look there.

As for the music, have a look to the right of the raised bridge. Like, go down to the water crossing then just go as far right as you can.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    I started this up and I think I kind of love it.
    I'm about midway through the second day. I feel like I may have made some poor skill point decisions though.
    I've put too much into internalizing all these thoughts I've been unlocking. Now I need to spend more points to get rid of the thoughts that aren't really providing much benefit. I should have been bumping up skills more I think.

akajaybay on
    Ok, I ended up getting a lot more level ups that made my last post much less of an issue.

I'm still really enjoying this. I'm nearing the end of my fourth or fifth day now.
    I danced so hard I passed out and communed with the spirit of the city.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think your build matters in terms of powering through this game, it's more about finding something you feel is interesting.

Finished this up last night. Definitely one of my favorites of the year. I'm quite curious how divergent some of the end material is.
    I know I played this totally wrong. I can't help it it's a sickness. I have to try to do as many things as possible and I save scummed frequently.
    Or shuffled clothes around for optimal rolls etc.
    Some ending talk
    I went through the game as a mix of sorry/superstar cop and generally went for the communist angles where possible. I have to assume the ending is always the communist deserter and the phasmid. That'd be real strange if you didn't engage with the cryptozoologist couple. I guess it's true that nothing in the story is unconnected. I didn't arrest Klaase. I'm curious if you learn anything extra if you do, but my guess is she just ends up dead somehow.
    It's tough not to side eye the fact that the game lets you mold yourself into a race theory facist if you want to. But at the same time it doesn't seem to validate any of that. It makes every ideology as extreme as possible but also makes sure to paint middle of the road centrist or moralist beliefs as the worst of the lot. I don't really want to play through the game as a facist or racist, but it makes me wonder how the game responds to you doing so.
    Also the very last bit of the police chief making a list of yes and nos as the seeds of another uprising, is that still there if you're not pretty in on the communism?

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    There are various positive outcomes that are tied to Kim trusting you so I'm guessing being a racist is as close to a Wrong Choice as you can get. All the racists in this game are pitiful.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I put more emotional stock in my partnership with Kim than I would have expected at the outset, the way his character opens up even just across the first day is fantastic

edited November 2019
    I also feel like, and I don't know if this is just me bringing some biases in.
    More end spoilers
    It feels like the games closest thing to a Right Choice is communism. Most of the dialgoue options are played over the top. But the actual historical details of the region and the failed communist takeover, the lone addled remnant, Evarat is just pretty twisted but also according to most of my voices buys into a lot of what he's saying. The world government/corporations being tied to the mass destruction and wanton murder of the communards and the stories of the mercenaries. The whole doomed uprising thing seems to run parallel to your own crash and attempt at rebuilding. The spirit of Revachol itself seem to want a new revolution. Although that could just be in Harry's head. There's some lines in the finale that seem to suggest it may have even pushed the deserter into kicking things off. But then you also fall back on only slightly less crazy idea that the cryptid made him horny and unstable. Everything felt very well tied around the way I ran through the game and it doesn't seem like it would be with some other styles but maybe it manages to tilt the perspective in a way that also clicks into place just as nicely.
    I guess there's plenty there to support the apocalypse cop perspective as well. The hole in the world seems destined to consume the city in Fade and the cryptid says there's an extinction event in the works, but its sense of time is a bit different.
    I never did manage to offer my figurines to Dolores Dei.

akajaybay on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited November 2019
    found the band who does some of the songs/different versions

https://youtu.be/8MqMYVCJZaA

https://youtu.be/3GcsQGVGtPU

https://youtu.be/JLwB6P4mkEA

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    I never did manage to offer my figurines to Dolores Dei.

At the endgame,
    Sleep in the bed in the bunker. You'll examine it and realize how weary you are. That's where I offered my figurines to Dolores Dei.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Folks I've started this and let me tell you, this guy might be kind of a mess

I can't tell y'all how steamed I am that shitty kid got the better of me

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Cuno doesn't fucking care, GG

wY6K6Jb.gif
    I swear any other game I will exhaust every dialogue option you give me but eventually I just went "I am not talking to this little shit anymore"

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    Also,
    Did anyone else have the city literally talk to them for a good long while via a Shivers check directly after the dance at the church? That bit ruled, I'm trying to find the full text of it online but I'm not seeing many people who say they had it

wY6K6Jb.gif
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I swear any other game I will exhaust every dialogue option you give me but eventually I just went "I am not talking to this little shit anymore"

Cuno isn't actually that bad once you get to know him

It's Cunoesse you gotta watch out for

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Also,
    Did anyone else have the city literally talk to them for a good long while via a Shivers check directly after the dance at the church? That bit ruled, I'm trying to find the full text of it online but I'm not seeing many people who say they had it

I remember getting it. There is definitely a video of the scene that shows a variation on that speech.

I ate an engineer
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The dance was something I never finished due to uh reason that gave me a penalty but shivers/inland Empire and electro chemistry probs give you the most down to earth lore and awesome writing

I haven't replayed it but and it shows to the types of games I usually play but it was pretty wild and bewildering the depths those three give you

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
    I'm a little worried I'm missing out on stuff because it's hard to make myself pick the wackier dialogue options

I want people to think I have my shit together! Talking about the apocalypse doesn't do that

Grey Ghost wrote: »
    I'm a little worried I'm missing out on stuff because it's hard to make myself pick the wackier dialogue options

I want people to think I have my shit together! Talking about the apocalypse doesn't do that

You don't have your shit together though

Uh I do now that I have completed that thought, thank you very much

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    So.... I don't think I ever give a game any higher praise than this, which is to say I finished it yesterday and this morning I'm sitting with the soundtrack on on Youtube staring at the walls in a semi-catatonic state.