As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids/Parenting: It’s fine, everything is fine.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    When my son was a baby we just filed them down, it seemed a lot easier.

:so_raven:
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Some options:

1. Just sit them down and do it. Maybe they don’t fight you and you are worrying about nothing. If this works, go buy a lottery ticket after because you are obviously a very lucky person.

2. Distract them with a toy or something else. You might only get a few nails at a time doing this. However, they eventually will realize what’s going on and let you do it more easily the more often you do it.

3. If necessary, get someone to kind of hold their arm or foot (lightly!). They will probably wiggle out constantly, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do if nothing else works.

4. Do it in the semi dark when they sleep.

• Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    Any tips on trimming my almost 4 month olds nails? It doesn't seem like there's room to get the nail and I'm scared in gonna get her finger

How crunchy a parent do you want to be? I know this sounds gross, but the easiest way to trim a baby's nails is to bite them off. Your mouth is a very sophisticated nail clipper safety system. Not everybody is down for hippy remedies that involve chewing on your baby, but it works and it's easy.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Any tips on trimming my almost 4 month olds nails? It doesn't seem like there's room to get the nail and I'm scared in gonna get her finger

I used "Piyo Piyo baby nail scissors" -tiny and sharp. To distract the baby, I fed her while my husband clipped the nails. When the baby was weaned, I distracted her with a bowl of cheerios.

• CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Seconding the baby nail scissors and doing it while they nap.

• Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    I clipped my oldest's toe when they were young. Forever after I took the path of the coward, opting either to just file down until they were older, and just making the lady handle it.

This advice may yield.... mixed results.

• GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    We either had both parents helping, or honestly we usually just use nail files instead - takes longer but no danger if they fuss or move

• davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    For babies especially, we trimmed nails immediately after baths. Makes the nails softer so they aren’t cracking and bending when trimming. Improves the experience a lot. Works for adults too!

• TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Our first kid was due on Monday.

I'm generally a very patient person. I know it will come when it comes, and there's no use stressing over it.

It does feel odd to be getting on the bus to work in the morning, though. It's about a 35 minute trip, and at some points the next bus back will be an hour away.

These are not the circumstances most conducive to getting work done. Probably better that it's pretty slow at the office right now, but also little distraction.

I'm mostly posting this to increase the potential irony if labor starts in the next hour.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Labor isn't a rush like it shows on TV and movies. When your partner starts, an hour will be more than enough time. I know that's cold comfort and you'd like to be there the second it starts.

BSoB on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    Oh, sure. If I though it would happen that quickly I would take the time off from work.

I figure if there's a real emergency, I can get a taxi or a coworker might give me a ride.

But it really seems like the best thing is to mostly pretend nothing is different.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    BSoB wrote: »
    Labor isn't a rush like it shows on TV and movies. When your partner starts, an hour will be more than enough time. I know that's cold comfort and you'd like to be there the second it starts.

Labor is crazy with how different it is for each person. One of my wife's friends was in labor for 27 hours, whereas both my kiddos were born within a few of hours (2 hours for the first, 4 for the second) of her starting labor.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    My wife is an OB and she has informed me that the first child usually takes the longest and labours tend to get shorter as you have more kids. This also checks out anecdotally for us as our first one came like 18-20 hours after my wife's water broke. Also, she has informed me that the water breaking isnt something that usually happens for most people, it's actually fairly uncommon to have it happen on it's own.

• MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Tracks here. Labor was roughly 12 hours for the first child, and probably about 4 for the second. With the second feeling so quick that my wife had trouble believing she was in labor at all.

• HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    My wife went into labor when I was at work and I left to take her in. They said, "Come back when contractions are closer together or too painful to deal with." That was December 24th. They actually slowed down but never quite stopped, she went in again on the 26th and contractions were down to about 5 minutes with 2 or 3 cm dialation and then abruptly dropped back to 15 minutes. Home again. Back on the 28th while I was at work, she didn't even bother calling me that time.

December 31st (last baby in the county of 2015*) the OB offered her a C-section and my wife screamed, "GODDAMN FINALLY I'VE BEEN IN LABOR FOR SEVEN YEARS!" "It's only been seven days." "Oh, I'm sorry, is it your vagina? I must have been confused by all the drugs." Afterwards, my wife commented that seven days must be some kind of record, and a nurse said, "Oh honey that's not even the record this week."

*-We were actually asked if we were disappointed, because the first baby in the county of the new year gets free diapers for a year. However, the child tax credit doesn't prorate, and is a lot more money than diapers and we had already stockpiled a the first year's supply of diapers.

Hevach on
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Both times my wife gave birth it seemed to go a lot faster than the doctors/nurses were expecting. 1st time we called the nurses line and told them how far apart the contractors were. The on call told us to keep waiting, but we kinda insisted so she relented and said to come in but be prepared to go home. My wife gave birth about 3 hours after arriving. 2nd child they acted like there was no rush to anything when we arrived at the hospital, but once everything was setup in the delivery room she gave birth about hour or 2 later.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Megafrost wrote: »
    Tracks here. Labor was roughly 12 hours for the first child, and probably about 4 for the second. With the second feeling so quick that my wife had trouble believing she was in labor at all.

Similar here with our one and only. Went to hospital about 6am, was holding baby around 6:30pm.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    First kid, my wife got induced, then had a C section. Second: she had a VBAC (and was a bit of a celebrity with the nurses). First time, when she was induced, she was in labor for something like 4-6 hours and nothing was moving when they decided to move forward with the C (I could be misremembering at it was longer).

Second one: she went into labor so we went in and got set up. It was about 2 am and I got to sleep for about 4 hours while she was in labor before the baby came.

She was mad* at me for the second birth.

*: she had obvs been awake with labor all night while I got to sleep in the dad chair next to her bed.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    Tip on nails that I figured out and has worked for 2 years without issue:

Place the clippers on the nail, squeeze very gently until you feel it grab. Then and only then do you apply enough pressure to cut.

That way you can ensure you only have nail and not skin. Plus if your kid fidgets you've already got the trimmers in place and secure such that you're not gonna accidentally cut their finger.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Mugsley wrote: »

Second one: she went into labor so we went in and got set up. It was about 2 am and I got to sleep for about 4 hours while she was in labor before the baby came.

*: she had obvs been awake with labor all night while I got to sleep in the dad chair next to her bed.
    How on earth did you sleep next to somebody in active labour?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My second birth was almost in my car, as the NYC marathon blocked traffic off in the area around my hospital hours after the event had ended. Gave birth very shortly after arriving. It was fun*

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Mugsley wrote: »

How on earth did you sleep next to somebody in active labour?

My wife is not a screamer.

<.<

>.>

• CauldCauld Registered User regular
    My second birth was almost in my car, as the NYC marathon blocked traffic off in the area around my hospital hours after the event had ended. Gave birth very shortly after arriving. It was fun*

I can't imagine the stress involved with that. Which hospital? My wife was afraid she'd go into labor while on the subway. Thankfully we had no issues going to the hospital either time.

• Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    You guys are just talking about active labor right? Cause my wife’s water broke like a full day or something before we were ready to go to the hospital, but most of it was not very intense so she was just sitting around or sleeping.

Of course then her labor stalled at the hospital and it was like another fucking 20 hours before the birth.

Jebus314 on
    "The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    Sometimes the essence of parenting is on a 78 degree day having to decide on whether to get out of the car in a sweater with spit up on it or in a t-shirt with larger, more prominent spit up on it........ I chose sweater

• SummaryJudgmentSummaryJudgment Grab the hottest iron you can find, stride in the Tower’s front door Registered User regular
    Carpy wrote: »
    Sometimes the essence of parenting is on a 78 degree day having to decide on whether to get out of the car in a sweater with spit up on it or in a t-shirt with larger, more prominent spit up on it........ I chose sweater

t shirt, brother/sister

own it

Some days Blue wonders why anyone ever bothered making numbers so small; other days she supposes even infinity needs to start somewhere.
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Peak parenting is when you negotiate a particularly heinous diaper change and there's poop on every conceivable surface and you're just, "Yep."

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited February 2020
    Hours later I notice there's poop on my hand. I don't know where it came from but this neither surprises nor alarms me. I take a brief moment to consider eating before washing.

The first couple years are mostly bodily functions.

Hevach on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    If you have friends who are interested in birth control just send them over to my house in the evening. Tonight the baby is just screaming in her room for no reason. My son (almost 5yr) threw a fit because he sat at the table for 45 minutes because we asked him to eat 3 bites of his chicken and rice that I cooked.

He proceeded to throw his shoes at my wife which got him into more trouble. All over 2 more bites of the world's smallest chicken piece that I gave him.

urahonky on
    My 9 year old screamed until I installed Minecraft on her laptop today (I got the laptop off eBay at Xmas for $60).

She then proceeded to have a meltdown because the version on her laptop is not the same as that on her sister's and they couldn't figure out the commands.

This is the same child who almost freaked out at a Jersey Mike's because she didn't like how their turkey tasted.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    You guys are frightening me. I'm only 3 months in and wondering if I'm up to the task.

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    I am also three months in and up for punishing the shit out of any of that.

But I may be naive.

• knight11eknight11e Registered User regular
    Random parenting moment that made me laugh: in my experience there are 2 types of boys, car boys and dinosaur boys. My 4 year old son has been a car boy forever, but during his 4th birthday party with kids from his daycare he kept getting dinosaur presents. My wife and I looked at each other confused until around the 5th dinosaur present when I said, “do you think he just told the other kids to get him dinosaurs?” So we asked him that question and he said in a chipper voice, “I sure did!”

It was funny to me.

• RedTideRedTide Registered User regular
    You guys are frightening me. I'm only 3 months in and wondering if I'm up to the task.

It's a ramp.

Unless you start out with a colic kid and then there's probably an easier time ahead before the curve swings up again

RedTide#1907 on Battle.net
    Come Overwatch with meeeee
    Just think about how much you pissed off your parents when you were younger and expect at least that level of pushback

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »

But I may be naive.

Respectfully, yes I think you are.

edited February 2020
    BlazeFire wrote: »

But I may be naive.

Agreed, but from experience it's a lesson that can not be taught, but only can be learned once you find yourself locked in a war of wills with a toddler and realize that this is not really a rational being and you are inevitably going to lose that war unless he falls asleep first.

Hevach on
  • GorkGork Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »

But I may be naive.

It’s okay, I’m still living in first time parent fantasyland. It’s nice here. We’re still not using screens!

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    It might actually work out for you okay, but I'm setting the bar low. :)

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    If you have friends who are interested in birth control just send them over to my house in the evening. Tonight the baby is just screaming in her room for no reason. My son (almost 5yr) threw a fit because he sat at the table for 45 minutes because we asked him to eat 3 bites of his chicken and rice that I cooked.

He proceeded to throw his shoes at my wife which got him into more trouble. All over 2 more bites of the world's smallest chicken piece that I gave him.

Oh no, is your son also my daughter?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter