As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MTG] Only $90 a pack*

• Options
    The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    oh right you don't have to do it one turn that's true, my b

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Beat a runaway white life gain deck as monoblack with this

Gary for 12 > Ayla sac > token gary from that one guy for 10 > gary off the deck from ayla > gary for 12 > sac gary to woe strider > gary token for 10

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    my last game, I had Robin Hood steal my opponent's God and they conceded.

This game is weird when you describe what happens sometimes.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    my last game, I had Robin Hood steal my opponent's God and they conceded.

This game is weird when you describe what happens sometimes.

en_BzXFbzuiNA.png

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    It would be a fun project to make a flavor cube. Maybe get non-Magic players to play it.

• Options
    Ivan HungerIvan Hunger Registered User regular
    Look, sometimes when you're burglarizing some rich dude's house, you end up kidnapping their god by accident. And then that god gets Stockholm syndrome and wants to work for you.

It happens.

• Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular

Gary for 12 > Ayla sac > token gary from that one guy for 10 > gary off the deck from ayla > gary for 12 > sac gary to woe strider > gary token for 10

If you cast a Gray Merchant for 12, then sacrifice it and make a clone of it with Nightmare Reaper, the clone keeps the mana cost, so they'd both drain for 12.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    I'm going to my first IRL draft tonight, Theros: Beyond Death. Any tips for what to bring, or cards to look out for (beyond Dream Trawler and Kiora Bests the Sea God)?

A player has publicly announced that they are going to hate-draft Gary, for what it's worth, so mono-black devotion might be trickier.

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    I'm going to my first IRL draft tonight, Theros: Beyond Death. Any tips for what to bring, or cards to look out for (beyond Dream Trawler and Kiora Bests the Sea God)?

A player has publicly announced that they are going to hate-draft Gary, for what it's worth, so mono-black devotion might be trickier.

So is he going to screw over everyone who wants to play mono black, or become the villain and play all those garys he drafted?

Bring sleeves! Or buy them there. Otherwise just have fun.

• Options
    I suspect that he just really hates playing against Gary and his suddenly-you're-dead mechanic which, you know, fair. At least dude's an uncommon now, I can't imagine how powerful he was as a common.

Chances are that he's going to play against the other players in his pool. I know that I'm definitely hate-drafting off-color bombs if I run into them - the smaller the chance that I lose to a 8/8 hexproof kraken the better.

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    Just...don't hatedraft. There is literally no reason to. You make your own deck worse and even if you play in your own pod, there is maybe a 5-10% chance that card will even come up for you.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    Bring about 20 lands for each color (usually there's a land station but just in case), a pad of paper and a pencil to track life totals, some 6-sided dice. Sleeves and a play mat if you have them. Definitely something to drink.

I believe WR makes a pretty strong aggro deck but don't force it.

Hate-drafting is basically never worth it as the odds you play that person are pretty low. Rare-drafting is worth it depending on what you value though.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »

If you cast a Gray Merchant for 12, then sacrifice it and make a clone of it with Nightmare Reaper, the clone keeps the mana cost, so they'd both drain for 12.

Im here to play cards not do math

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Playing card games is all about math

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

False. Its about heart. And your bank balance.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

False. Its about heart. And your bank balance.

I suppose I'll just have to teach you what your pathetic heart is worth in the SHADOW REALM

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Math is for blockers

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Flunging is Real Magic

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Neveron wrote: »
    I suspect that he just really hates playing against Gary and his suddenly-you're-dead mechanic which, you know, fair. At least dude's an uncommon now, I can't imagine how powerful he was as a common.

Chances are that he's going to play against the other players in his pool. I know that I'm definitely hate-drafting off-color bombs if I run into them - the smaller the chance that I lose to a 8/8 hexproof kraken the better.

As I recall white based heroic decks were so busted that Gary wasn’t much of a hot piece.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    milski wrote: »
    Flunging is Real Magic

Is that a sex thing

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Flunging is Real Magic

Is that a sex thing

Anything is a sex thing if you really want it to be.

• Options
    Ended up going 1-2 despite pulling Uro pack 1 pick 1 - my two losses were against players with some serious graveyard hate. Tymaret's real good in this environment, huh!

(It was a rarepick draft so I didn't end up keeping him, but I did get four other rares that I'll probably stick in decks.)

• Options
    Monoblue devotion is slow and suffers from not wanting to play instants but man its gross once you get going

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    Flunging is a term to describe the practice where you realize you are dead next turn and thus attack all out into a mostly stalled board, relying on your opponent to figure out whether or not they can block in a way that lets them survive.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Flunging is a term to describe the practice where you realize you are dead next turn and thus attack all out into a mostly stalled board, relying on your opponent to figure out whether or not they can block in a way that lets them survive.

i love when i flunge out and win.

• Options

So it’s a sex thing

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    ooh new word

THD limited seems like it has a bit more flunging than usual, if only because death by decking is more common. I almost had to do it in an earlier game, but luckily I found my Klothys's Design so the attack was a lot more lethal.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    I ran into a deck using a ton of self mill, enchantments and storm heralds, that would use the herald to return both a kaya's ghostform and dead weight onto itself, killing itself and looping ( triggering constellations to draw)
    then drops Thassa's Oracle when ready, was funny.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    Just had a limited game lost because Arena's auto tapper has somehow defied reason and gotten worse.

• Options
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    Just had a limited game lost because Arena's auto tapper has somehow defied reason and gotten worse.

Ya it's priority to not use colorless lands is annoying. Why yes I totally wanted my 1 remaining mana to be Cryptic Cave how did you know

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    It has a really annoying preference for tapping basics over dual lands, even if the basic is the only source of that color you have, and you have spells that require that mana in your hand, and you didn't need it for the spell you're casting.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    After playing far too much Arena this week, I finally started to get a little bored by playing with the premade decks even though they are surprisingly fun to use. So I decided to try some sealed Theros. Because playing for free was too easy, or something. I'm not even sure why, because sealed was never my thing - I always preferred constructed, and generally the wackier the better.

The first attempt was not good. Really not good. Let's not talk about it.

I managed to go 7-2 in my second attempt at Theros sealed though, with a janky W/G deck that mainly came down to a lot of creature removal/nullification through having 3 Dreadful Apathy and 2 Entrancing Lyre, and beefing up whatever schwag survived my opponent's removal efforts with auras and enchantments and triggering constellation as much as possible. Usually through beefing up something like Hero of the Pride because nobody ever gave a shit about killing them until they had 2-3 enchantments stacked and then I could save them with an Alseid sacrifice. Archon of Sun's Grace and Sunmane Pegasus did do some serious work in a couple of matches though. Oh, I guess 3 Warbriar Blessings were effectively additional removal and turning little white weenies into beefcake at the same time.

You've created a damn monster, milski. A monster that is consuming all of my free time, anyway.

• Options
    Yes. Limited is truth. Theros is easily the best limited since Ravnica pt.3 pt. 2.

• Options
    Ever have one of those draft days where your opponent keeps finding the chump blockers and your trample enablers won't show up?
    e7kf9ww2rysy.jpeg

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    This Pioneer PT has been great though. someone in twitch chat just called a player calling a judge on their opponent drawing a card for no reason "annoying and not sporting" so nice to know those things never change

• Options
    TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    This Pioneer PT has been great though. someone in twitch chat just called a player calling a judge on their opponent drawing a card for no reason "annoying and not sporting" so nice to know those things never change

Twitch chat is Twitch chat, even moderated.

Overall, the Pioneer PT was cool, but the matchup numbers are up and....yeah. Monday After Lunch Pioneer Banlist Update is happening. A lot of predictions are up, mine is that Dig, Oracle and Breach all have to go.

• Options
    TryCatcher wrote: »

Twitch chat is Twitch chat, even moderated.

Overall, the Pioneer PT was cool, but the matchup numbers are up and....yeah. Monday After Lunch Pioneer Banlist Update is happening. A lot of predictions are up, mine is that Dig, Oracle and Breach all have to go.

jace still exists and is still powerful and enables inverter

if they wanna kill that deck, it'll likely be inverter itself

but yeah Dig is probably gone and maybe CoCo

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Am I missing any deck using it other than the deck that would still be way broke without Dig? That seems like a silly pick to even be on the chopping block unless I am.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    My prediction is that no deck gets banned after it's breakout tournament. IT would be absolutely nuts, unprecedented, and kill a lot of good will for not much gain.

The breach deck existed online the last few weeks but people had decided it was "just bad" and inverter was the new hotness at the SCG/other regional PTs. This week we figured out that was wrong. But that doesn't mean we surgically remove every single card that enables it.

especially with the traditional PT skew and literally none of these decks being built around dealing with the combo. Like, level 0 brain is that damping sphere actually just stops the entire deck. It could be more complicated. It could be too much for just one hate piece. but combos that spike g1 and have to win through hate post sb are like a normal and reasonably healthy thing

initiatefailure on
This discussion has been closed.