As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »
    Stragint wrote: »
    Yea, I really really really need to stop going HAM when I start a project.

I'm still gonna work on it and see what I can do and if I can make it work. Worst case scenario is I did screw up the scheme I wanted and I switch to something else with a purple base and do that and then try the scheme I wanted on something else. Maybe the warcry starter terrain if I can find it separate from the box.
    Focus on trying to get the feel of the effect instead of just replicating it precisely. One of the big things that's subtle in that image is that there's actually a lot of variety in the base-level brightness, which you don't currently have (and I think you'll notice that as you go). A bit of varying your tones could give you a more comfortable base to work from. I still think you should touch up your recesses first though. That's step one.
    Beyond that, I think you'd also get a lot of mileage out of using a chunky / damaged sponge to dab a stone texture. The image looks absolutely rife with that kind of patterning. Seems easier to do than a drybrush, and would still let you do an edge highlight to finish as desired.

I need to fix up the piece I tested the first shade with so I can get all the recesses with a brush and fill those in and you said a darker purple would be better to use?

I'm not 100% sure by what you mean with the sponge.

Home despot has the ideal on a larger scale
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsecYOpVtoI

Would I do this at the current stage of purple base or do it after I've finished everything?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    *edit*
    Speaking of the distant past, if anyone remembers my facepalm command tank from about 4 years ago, I've finally taken it off the 'maybe I will do it tomorrow' spot on my desk, and set to work finishing it.

Damn I work slow, but given how long this thing sat unfinished, this was almost lightning fast. Unfortunately, over the intervening years, I lost track of just where I put the sponson guns for safekeeping, so until I figure out where that place were I'll never forget I put them actually IS, those will stay empty. At least those slots make them real easy to slot in and swap when I do find them.

So exactly what stage of the hobby are you at when you start inserting yourself into your army?

NgRyIRF.jpg

y8bS8bZ.jpg

h5RPLPq.gif

The figures are custom models from Hero Forge, although the facepalm too quite a bit of cutting and reposing of delicate, 3D printed resin in order to get the right pose.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    I need to learn how to make those rotating gifs

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    If you mean the actual jpg to gif conversion, just google it. There are plenty of sites that do it, and imgur might even have that built in to their editing options these days :biggrin:

If you mean actually spinning the model, you'll notice I've marked the container it's on on all four sides. I've got a sheet of paper below it I did 8 radiating lines on to coordinate the turn, then a camera on a tripod. You can see I still jiggle everything around a little from moving it, but it works well enough.

That tank is such a fun model, I really did want to show off all sides.

Khraul wrote: »

I have a galaxy s8 and in the gallery it gives me the option to create a gif.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I have a galaxy s8 and in the gallery it gives me the option to create a gif.

I hadn't thought of that... Turns out my pixel 2 can do the same thing.
    If you mean the actual jpg to gif conversion, just google it. There are plenty of sites that do it, and imgur might even have that built in to their editing options these days :biggrin:

If you mean actually spinning the model, you'll notice I've marked the container it's on on all four sides. I've got a sheet of paper below it I did 8 radiating lines on to coordinate the turn, then a camera on a tripod. You can see I still jiggle everything around a little from moving it, but it works well enough.

That tank is such a fun model, I really did want to show off all sides.

I think I need a tripod... I just figured out making a gif on my phone, so now I need a stable photo platform. I'll totally steal that paper and lines idea too.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Vanguard wrote: »
    That looks great

The positive feedback in this thread for real makes my day, especially on pieces where I'm unsure about how they've turned out.

I'll post another shot when birdman is wrapped up.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular

I'm still gonna work on it and see what I can do and if I can make it work. Worst case scenario is I did screw up the scheme I wanted and I switch to something else with a purple base and do that and then try the scheme I wanted on something else. Maybe the warcry starter terrain if I can find it separate from the box.
    Focus on trying to get the feel of the effect instead of just replicating it precisely. One of the big things that's subtle in that image is that there's actually a lot of variety in the base-level brightness, which you don't currently have (and I think you'll notice that as you go). A bit of varying your tones could give you a more comfortable base to work from. I still think you should touch up your recesses first though. That's step one.
    Beyond that, I think you'd also get a lot of mileage out of using a chunky / damaged sponge to dab a stone texture. The image looks absolutely rife with that kind of patterning. Seems easier to do than a drybrush, and would still let you do an edge highlight to finish as desired.

I need to fix up the piece I tested the first shade with so I can get all the recesses with a brush and fill those in and you said a darker purple would be better to use?

Would I do this at the current stage of purple base or do it after I've finished everything?
    Look at your reference image again. What parts of the scheme look like that kind of texture?

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I think for my terrain I'm going to airbrush at angles instead of head on going forward. I think that might get the look I want. Just lots of thin layers.

Look at your reference image again. What parts of the scheme look like that kind of texture?

I am extremely bad at this kind of stuff so I honestly have no idea when I should do this kind of thing.

I don't think I've ever done painting stuff without a YouTube video that breaks it down as if I were a complete idiot.

I generally don't ever do anything paint wise unless there is a video showing how it is done. I've been wanting to do an orange plasma glow but I have no idea what colors to do but I can do blue because there are videos for blue.

I think this is also why I'm taking so long to do the paint scheme for my Tau. I know what I want buy I don't know how to make it immediately recognized based on the scheme.

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I think for my terrain I'm going to airbrush at angles instead of head on going forward. I think that might get the look I want. Just lots of thin layers.

I am extremely bad at this kind of stuff so I honestly have no idea when I should do this kind of thing.

I don't think I've ever done painting stuff without a YouTube video that breaks it down as if I were a complete idiot.

I generally don't ever do anything paint wise unless there is a video showing how it is done. I've been wanting to do an orange plasma glow but I have no idea what colors to do but I can do blue because there are videos for blue.

I think this is also why I'm taking so long to do the paint scheme for my Tau. I know what I want buy I don't know how to make it immediately recognized based on the scheme.

I'm the opposite. I just grap a pot of paint, a brush, and a mini and go to town with no planning and no fear.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants. Or would be, if I were flying. Or wearing pants.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I based 25/30 of my Mortek Guard this morning

Once I do the last 5 later today, I just need to glue their shields, do some highlighting on their spears and then I’m done*

*With the exception of their banners - I’ve tried a few colors and not happy with the results so gotta play around a little bit that will be done that week

edited February 2020

I'm the opposite. I just grap a pot of paint, a brush, and a mini and go to town with no planning and no fear.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants. Or would be, if I were flying. Or wearing pants.

I wish I could do that. I hate painting too much to take the risk of messing up entirely. I don't want to paint but I also want to try to paint interesting schemes when I do paint. But yea, I hate painting.

I saw a video where the person was using an airbrush to get a really nice yellow paint job. He primed the model pink and then did a zenithal highlight using white ink and then a slightly darker pink underneath and then used a yellow ink to do paint the whole model yellow.

Could I do something like that with my terrain that is currently purple? Do a zenithal of white to get an easier transition for the scheme I'm trying?

Would purple/pink fluorescent paints work for this?

Stragint on

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

Once I do the last 5 later today, I just need to glue their shields, do some highlighting on their spears and then I’m done*

*With the exception of their banners - I’ve tried a few colors and not happy with the results so gotta play around a little bit that will be done that week

Here's what I went with for mine. Hard to go wrong with spooky green.
    g9vr9msnrbui.jpg

Extreaminatus on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

I wish I could do that. I hate painting too much to take the risk of messing up entirely. I don't want to paint but I also want to try to paint interesting schemes when I do paint. But yea, I hate painting.

I saw a video where the person was using an airbrush to get a really nice yellow paint job. He primed the model pink and then did a zenithal highlight using white ink and then a slightly darker pink underneath and then used a yellow ink to do paint the whole model yellow.

Could I do something like that with my terrain that is currently purple? Do a zenithal of white to get an easier transition for the scheme I'm trying?

Tough love time.

Stop. buying. shit. Stop obsessing over how to paint shit.

Just paint shit.

It's going to look terrible so do it again. It will look slightly less terrible this time. Repeat.

That is how you get better at painting. There is no magic bullet. There is no special paint or brush - air or otherwise. This is not The Matrix, you cannot learn kung-fu by watching a youtube video.

Do you think that the stuff you see winning awards, on blogs, in youtube videos, and even in this very thread are people's first attempts that just look amazing? They are not and if someone claims they are they're lying.

Go paint some of your mountain of plastic and post pictures because I'm getting fed up with what this thread has become and the fact that I'm almost constantly holding a screaming infant and literally cannot paint makes me even more mad. I need to live vicariously through you people with free time and you're killing me.

b0n1mvbbroit.jpg

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    To add sheet cork to a base to make it looks like stone, what do I need to do prior to priming and painting?

I know I'd read about sealing it somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Probably just seal it with pledge floor gloss

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

g9vr9msnrbui.jpg

that's actually what i'm thinking - probably more green forward but still in that same blue-green palette

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    To add sheet cork to a base to make it looks like stone, what do I need to do prior to priming and painting?

I know I'd read about sealing it somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it.

I just super glue it to the base and then paint liberally with a heavily watered base. You'll probably want a few coats.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

g9vr9msnrbui.jpg

that's actually what i'm thinking - probably more green forward but still in that same blue-green palette

I just used Incubi Darkness into Kabalite Green and then Sybarite Green. You could probably base more heavily with Kabalite and go for something greener from there and it would look pretty good. The magenta was recommended by @Dr_Keenbean because magenta is his muse.

Tough love time.

Stop. buying. shit. Stop obsessing over how to paint shit.

Just paint shit.

It's going to look terrible so do it again. It will look slightly less terrible this time. Repeat.

That is how you get better at painting. There is no magic bullet. There is no special paint or brush - air or otherwise. This is not The Matrix, you cannot learn kung-fu by watching a youtube video.

Do you think that the stuff you see winning awards, on blogs, in youtube videos, and even in this very thread are people's first attempts that just look amazing? They are not and if someone claims they are they're lying.

Go paint some of your mountain of plastic and post pictures because I'm getting fed up with what this thread has become and the fact that I'm almost constantly holding a screaming infant and literally cannot paint makes me even more mad. I need to live vicariously through you people with free time and you're killing me.

b0n1mvbbroit.jpg

I can't think of anything I've painted so far that I haven't watched a youtube video for.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I painted a ton of stuff pre youtube and just winging it like the skaven I showed off earlier
    zqqem6abeh4z.png
    Sometimes it just helps to pick a simple mini and paint it I had an ideal in my head of what I wanted my home brew kill team to look like just I got stuck on a icon
    I don't paint my Siam Hann the recommended way because I liked ruby red more than Mephiston Red but I have little choice now
    A lot of the painting demos really helped fill in gaps or wrong info I had
    If you get stuck just hop around to different projects and you may unstick yourself or do far more than you thought

I'm almost constantly holding a screaming infant and literally cannot paint makes me even more mad. I need to live vicariously through you people with free time and you're killing me.

You've been a parent for how many weeks now and haven't learned how to paint holding the brush in your mouth, with the model in one hand and the baby cradled in the crook of your arms?

Shame! Shame~!

On the asking for advice bit, I'm working on the base for a leviathan dread that just blasted a big fucking hole through a wall. Does anyone know any potential reference images for how that might look? I'm guessing ring of black around the blast hole, uneven and fading the further from the hole it gets. That sound about right? Anyone with an advanced hands-on understanding of cyclonic melta lances know what it looks like when they make a new door in a wall? :biggrin:

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I can't tell if we're on the path to inventing some truly fascinating miniature-painting competitions, or on the path to widowing @Dr_Keenbean's partner. :P

Man, I just put a (self-admittedly) badass mini of myself upm and y'all knows I'm going to have a sweet looking levathan dreadnought uh... within the next five years, based on that previous model.

But the scenic base will be super cool!

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

g9vr9msnrbui.jpg

I just used Incubi Darkness into Kabalite Green and then Sybarite Green. You could probably base more heavily with Kabalite and go for something greener from there and it would look pretty good. The magenta was recommended by because magenta is his muse.

Hey, I was playing around in Armored Core recently, and was trying to make a kind of 'reverse Gundam' color scheme using black with highlights of a similar not-quite-teal green, with a bright red torso block. No screenshots since this is a PS1 game, but I keep waffling on whether I like it or not and am curious what other people think? Please excuse this crude mock-up I made in MS Paint using some Gundam NT-1 line art.
    coy7a19vm59z.png

If it's not shit, I might try using it on some sort of miniature (probably either gunpla or some battletech minis, since I don't see myself picking up a Tau collection anytime soon).

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    I'm almost constantly holding a screaming infant and literally cannot paint makes me even more mad. I need to live vicariously through you people with free time and you're killing me.

You've been a parent for how many weeks now and haven't learned how to paint holding the brush in your mouth, with the model in one hand and the baby cradled in the crook of your arms?

Shame! Shame~!

On the asking for advice bit, I'm working on the base for a leviathan dread that just blasted a big fucking hole through a wall. Does anyone know any potential reference images for how that might look? I'm guessing ring of black around the blast hole, uneven and fading the further from the hole it gets. That sound about right? Anyone with an advanced hands-on understanding of cyclonic melta lances know what it looks like when they make a new door in a wall? :biggrin:

Melta's vaporize matter with heat IIRC, so I'd think the hole edges might be red-hot?

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    Got some work done.

Not sure how I feel about it.
    ngzwnropzmws.jpg
    18npec373b6y.jpg
    f01bpyd8aa4k.jpg
    85i2hr7bdpdp.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Looks great i think.
    Just some more shading in the recesses and some edge highlights and that is going to be some fantastic moody scenery.

Never judge a piece before adding some highlights, even if it is just a drybrush. I'm never happy with my projects until the final detailing pulls it all together.

honovere on
    edited February 2020
    honovere wrote: »
    Looks great i think.
    Just some more shading in the recesses and some edge highlights and that is going to be some fantastic moody scenery.

Never judge a piece before adding some highlights, even if it is just a drybrush. I'm never happy with my projects until the final detailing pulls it all together.

I have no idea what color I'd use to highlight. Would I use one color over the whole thing or change it between the transitions?

Also, looking at it the flowers look a little clogged but I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

Edit: I looked at it in person, it isn't nearly as bad as I think it looks in the pictures.

Stragint on

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Painted a sister as a test. I can see some places where I could do a better job, but there's going to loads of these gals running about the place, and people aren't going to be as close as this picture was taken for line troops, so I'm happy enough. Started painting the other 9.

ECiP1zp.jpg

lWeBbfu.jpg

PSN Fleety2009
    edited February 2020
    This morning at the Bone Tithe Nexus of Vanguard Nagash had a shield-granting ceremony as his next batch of constructs beyond the grave near their completion:

piqvrs0om4rz.jpeg

More seriously, aside from some highlighting on the spears and the banners in the back, these guys are done now that I’ve glued the shields on them.

These 30 models are:

More models than I’ve painted in the last 2 years combined

The fastest I’ve ever painted this many models (~1 month of work)

The fastest I’ve ever worked for an outcome like this (~1 hour model)

I’m going to finish these last few steps then knock out my stalkers quickly

Vanguard on

Shame! Shame~!

As you are not a parent yourself, I'll forgive your mistake here. The trick is to hold the baby in your mouth and paint the mini either out of the corner of your eye, or by holding the model up above your baby-filled field of vision and painting it in the sky.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I managed 1 half hour painting session with the daughter in the baby carrier when she was a month old. Now she's to big and doesn't reliably sleep in the carrier anymore.

edited February 2020
    Just make sure you use a back carrier so you don't have to explain paint or spatter drips on their head.
    honovere wrote: »
    Looks great i think.

I have no idea what color I'd use to highlight. Would I use one color over the whole thing or change it between the transitions?

Also, looking at it the flowers look a little clogged but I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

Edit: I looked at it in person, it isn't nearly as bad as I think it looks in the pictures.

The problem being, as always, that pictures show it about 10x bigger than you see it on the tabletop or just about any other real life circumstance. If I put the pic on my phone and look at it from arms length, it looks amazing. I'd say start with using a wash to darken the gaps between blocks, and see how that looks.

For the highlight, just do a light drybrush of a much lighter shade of that color. Just pick on brick edge and try it out. If you don't like it, just paint over it, or cover it with your next highlight test. That's the thing about painting - it's so easy to modify and correct as you go along.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular

I've been pretty bad at posting pics recently.
    Here's my Escher gang that I finished recently, the Rapid 99s.
    2 games so far, and a death and 2 serious injuries!
    smaq0re0b0da.jpg

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I see two of ye old gang there

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Good spot!
    I've got a few more old metal ones, including some juves, for when the gang expands.
    They mix in really well with the new plastics imo.
    They're shorter but everyone has giant hair so it's not super noticeable.

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Those are my two favourite of the old metals as well. I think I might have converted the lasgun to a needle rifle or something though.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited February 2020
    Man oh maaaaaaaannnnn I hope this works....

Got this guy second hand bare plastic and painted him before I'd thought to do a base like this. Now I can't reposition the flail without taking him right off the base or cutting and repainting. It's just gonna look how it looks I guess....

npsoncse5civ.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6