As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Legends of Runeterra]: Enjoy Early and Evening Engagements in this Excellent Expansion

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    So the Vault opens in about 18 hours, which is like 4:30am my time (PST). I'm 1000xp out from getting to level 11 and I'm wondering if it's worth the bother? That would be 5 wins or 10 losses. With the average game time being a bit long, I'm not sure I wan't to grind it out. Is it really worth the Diamond chest? Thoughts?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    AI games seem to have a completely separate XP track. Stomping them gives 100 each.

5 losses, which could be insta concedes, give 100 for the first what, 5?

Yeah, 1000 is EZ PZ Dover, but I dunno how much time you have. That and the diamond chests don't seem that amazing, anyways, but 1000 xp isn't bad.

I'm 2000 away from my final diamond chest (I don't do expeditions), but I haven't done the quest for today yet or played any games, so that's easy for me.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    So the Vault opens in about 18 hours, which is like 4:30am my time (PST). I'm 1000xp out from getting to level 11 and I'm wondering if it's worth the bother? That would be 5 wins or 10 losses. With the average game time being a bit long, I'm not sure I wan't to grind it out. Is it really worth the Diamond chest? Thoughts?

It's probably not a crazy difference from any one level to the next, the advantages are kind of in aggregate, especially because you can also just win the lottery and have the rewards in a lower ranking chest upgrade. I wouldn't stress about it. Play if you're having fun, that is the goal of the developers. No grinding, just play for fun and as long as you're playing a few hours a week you'll get where you want to be eventually.

Huh, going a quick 4-2 went faster than I thought.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Once I'm in expedition free play I always seem to find myself chasing mushroom decks.
    Finishing someone off with mushrooms is a weird high that I'm always chasing.
    It may not always be my best choice, but it brings me joy.
    Often Teemo is there just to draw as much aggro and denial as he can when the true threat are those puff peddlers.
    I once Dawn & Dusked a puff peddler while I had two down already just so I could blow through a string of cheap burst spells.

• shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    I lost a key game as a Teemo draft deck because at 2 HP with a deck of like 17 cards and 30+ puffcaps the enemy managed to pull a card with no mushrooms on it at all.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    I lost a key game as a Teemo draft deck because at 2 HP with a deck of like 17 cards and 30+ puffcaps the enemy managed to pull a card with no mushrooms on it at all.

You may have lost that game, but know, your opponent (probably) respected your deck choices.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Oh fun interaction I discovered yesterday is that Shady Character the 4 cost 1/1 that transforms itself into a target follower when its played.
    It can also copy the fact that a follower has something detained, and when it dies or leaves play it will also produce the detained unit.
    There may be some other copy effects out there that'd work the same.

• RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Once I'm in expedition free play I always seem to find myself chasing mushroom decks.
    Often Teemo is there just to draw as much aggro and denial as he can when the true threat are those puff peddlers.
    I once Dawn & Dusked a puff peddler while I had two down already just so I could blow through a string of cheap burst spells.

I do the same thing. I just start grabbing all the shroom things. I should make a teemo deck and try constructed.

RickRude wrote: »
    akajaybay wrote: »

I do the same thing. I just start grabbing all the shroom things. I should make a teemo deck and try constructed.

When it works, and you drop like 30+ shrooms on someone and then insta-level Teemo and attack with him for 2x, it is goddamn glorious.

Especially if you've got enough spells to keep him safe for a few more turns.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Draven looks pretty fun too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb6R38lxZXU

Here is my Yasuo list: CEBAMAIDBIGSILRRGYDACAQCBAHS4MJYAEAQCARBAEBACAYWGI

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Also the keys Yasuo players press when playing League

liEt3nH.png
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Pretty convinced now that Fiora just needs nerfed. The game is far too happy to give you a deck full of permanent buffs and barriers if you take her in expeditions. I also think barrier spells are undercosted for their effect (the burst ones) - riposte in particular is dumb.

Kind of upset right now after a string of 0-1 win open plays because I couldn't draw removal and every opponent had nonstop combat tricks.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    edited February 2020
    The worst thing about working on a Tuesday is that I can't open the vault before I go in I have to wait all dang day.
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Pretty convinced now that Fiora just needs nerfed. The game is far too happy to give you a deck full of permanent buffs and barriers if you take her in expeditions. I also think barrier spells are undercosted for their effect (the burst ones) - riposte in particular is dumb.

Kind of upset right now after a string of 0-1 win open plays because I couldn't draw removal and every opponent had nonstop combat tricks.

Fiora is really vulnerable to disruption because you at least go 1 for 1 if not more. Vengeance just murders her and shadow isles is also good at double tap barrier breaking with the drain one spell, or it has the deal 3 damage if something died. Ionia has Stuns or Recall, Recall destroys her since it resets progress. Freljord has Frostbite aplenty. Noxus also has stuns and some direct damage options like Whirling Blade. Piltover can pop barriers pretty effectively with damage, and Demacia has detain which also scoops up the barrier spell, and resets her progress. This is just off the top of my head. You can also be challengering her with big beefy dudes to make them waste spells to keep her alive on defense, and she doesn't deal well with small incidental damage. Just being on 1 or 2 hp dramatically reduces her possibility space and increases the odds that if you have a way to deal with the barrier that she'll die in the trade.

I would also say Riposte isn't that dumb. I think it might be worse than the 3 cost just gives barrier card. Usually I'm not casting it for the additional damage, Fiora has three, that's pretty solid, and then it's just a more expensive barrier you can't hold up with only spell mana.

Fiora plays the most like a traditional control deck but it has an accelerated win condition. A lot of it is just making sure they have the counterspell, or putting enough stuff out to make them deplete their hand. You can also just not play stuff she's going to easily murder.

ChaosHat on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Nice, got Thresh and Lux from one of the vault chests.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    man, I really like Expeditions a lot, it's like Hearthstone's Arena, but with the single-player deckbuilding for drafting.

Get to try a bunch of cards I don't have yet, with enough synergy picks to try to build an actual game plan, go up against decks that are similarly loosely designed without being finely tuned meta netdecks

I was happy enough with that before I discovered you get two kicks at the can for each entry

Echo wrote: »

Thresh is real good. I haven't seen a super good Lux list though.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    The two trials per expedition is definitely a huge plus the the game mode for sure.

• cptruggedcptrugged I think it has something to do with free will. Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »

I had someone at low rank hit me with 3 lux's using Dusk and Dawn. Then upgrading and creating beams with all of them. It was a complete surprise as I'd never seen a Lux played in ranked.

• VladimerVladimer Registered User regular

That's a good haul! I got a Karma and like 2.5k shards. I'm pleased this week.

cptrugged wrote: »

I had someone at low rank hit me with 3 lux's using Dusk and Dawn. Then upgrading and creating beams with all of them. It was a complete surprise as I'd never seen a Lux played in ranked.

I've been running a Heimerdinger/Lux deck in expeditions and it's stomping some face. That spell Lux generates when you cast a 6+ mana spell is NASTY.

I think she'd fit decently well into any deck focused on spells. A Karma deck would probably work well with her too.

cptrugged wrote: »

That's pretty hilarious. That reminds me that I saw some Teemo jank. The guy was playing Ionia with the thing that has allegiance: summon two two cost ally from the deck, and the only two cost ally he had was Teemo. Also imagine my horror when apparently that card CREATES the cards, it doesn't tutor for them and put them into play, so he had three in play at one point with another in his hand that I knew of (he returned it to his hand with recall when I tried to murder it).

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Is the champion you pick the one you get in expedition, or do you get a random one at the end?

What is this I don't even.
  • YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    You get a random one.

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
    Yilias wrote: »
    You get a random one.

Of course, since it can't be a 4th copy it has to eventually be nice to you. Eventually.

I got the Spirit Isles to level 8 and got my 3rd Elise. Switched over to Piltover and Zaun. They look very spell heavy, which is a nice change of pace from spiders and ghosts.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Ok, no, this Heimerdinger/Teemo exploration deck is the single greatest thing ever.

What is this I don't even.
    That just makes me think, could you use Dusk and Dawn on a Teemo to get 3 Teemos and then hit the enemy Nexus to increase the number of puffcaps in their deck by 8x?

That seems horribly mean and on brand for Teemo decks.

• wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    That just makes me think, could you use Dusk and Dawn on a Teemo to get 3 Teemos and then hit the enemy Nexus to increase the number of puffcaps in their deck by 8x?

That seems horribly mean and on brand for Teemo decks.

Yes, I've had that lovely combo performed on me.

• FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    The worst thing about working on a Tuesday is that I can't open the vault before I go in I have to wait all dang day.

Fiora is really vulnerable to disruption because you at least go 1 for 1 if not more. Vengeance just murders her and shadow isles is also good at double tap barrier breaking with the drain one spell, or it has the deal 3 damage if something died. Ionia has Stuns or Recall, Recall destroys her since it resets progress. Freljord has Frostbite aplenty. Noxus also has stuns and some direct damage options like Whirling Blade. Piltover can pop barriers pretty effectively with damage, and Demacia has detain which also scoops up the barrier spell, and resets her progress. This is just off the top of my head. You can also be challengering her with big beefy dudes to make them waste spells to keep her alive on defense, and she doesn't deal well with small incidental damage. Just being on 1 or 2 hp dramatically reduces her possibility space and increases the odds that if you have a way to deal with the barrier that she'll die in the trade.

I would also say Riposte isn't that dumb. I think it might be worse than the 3 cost just gives barrier card. Usually I'm not casting it for the additional damage, Fiora has three, that's pretty solid, and then it's just a more expensive barrier you can't hold up with only spell mana.

Fiora plays the most like a traditional control deck but it has an accelerated win condition. A lot of it is just making sure they have the counterspell, or putting enough stuff out to make them deplete their hand. You can also just not play stuff she's going to easily murder.

Fiora's good when she's rolling but has lot of stuff that slows her down or stops her yeah. I feel like the nature of expeditions means you're going to face absolutely busted stuff not infrequently, and Fiora is honestly pretty low on the list of things I never want to see. Inspiring Mentor->Navori Conspirator->Inspiring Mentor->Navori Conspirator is a billion times worse. Elnuks will stomp. Anivia existing. Marauding Axers get out of control real quick and the game is happy to give you six of them. Any deck with five billion frostbites.

But for as many broken possibilities as there are, everything is sort of counterable. Elusive probably feels the worst to play against because of the individual quality of Navori Conspirator, Shadow Assassin, and Kinkou Lifeblade combined with Will of Ionia, Deny, and Dual +3 whatever giving them the potential to have an answer to almost anything.

The double elimination/double trial system goes a long way in minimizing how much you lose to highroll garbage but I still think they should offer free expeditions permanently. I've got enough shards banked that I should never have to play constructed if I don't want to but it's still really stressful to play Game 7 because of the huge increase in rewards. Still stressful to play the second trial if I only get 1 or 2 wins on the first. If you only want to play expeditions but average 2-3 wins I'm sure this system feels real bad. I think it's a shame too because there's a lot more potential to profit off casual arena players than most games if they offer cool cosmetic stuff like champion skins.

edited February 2020
    At this point I'm pretty sure the game is deliberately screwing me in expeditions. I haven't made it past 3 wins in like 10 runs I think now? I'll draw nothing but spells, my opponent will misplay horribly and still topdeck perfect answers in row...

Edit: And by bad luck I mean play Karma round 5, get nothing but Harrowing for turns in row. Multiple games.

Polaritie on
    At this point I'm pretty sure the game is deliberately screwing me in expeditions. I haven't made it past 3 wins in like 10 runs I think now? I'll draw nothing but spells, my opponent will misplay horribly and still topdeck perfect answers in row...

Edit: And by bad luck I mean play Karma round 5, get nothing but Harrowing for turns in row. Multiple games.

Yeah, that's been me. Last week I did 3 expeditions and didn't make it past 3 on any of the 6 tries.

One trial I went straight double losses facing back to back Fiora decks where they seemingly pulled every single burst buff spell they needed in their opening hand.

Yeah, that's been me. Last week I did 3 expeditions and didn't make it past 3 on any of the 6 tries.

One trial I went straight double losses facing back to back Fiora decks where they seemingly pulled every single burst buff spell they needed in their opening hand.

Yeah, I just got through all 3 expeditions for the week today, my best was 3. Because no matter what, opponents drew answers and I drew chaff. I couldn't get hard removal to save my life, etc.

• IllieasIllieas Registered User regular
    teemo expedition deck was bad choice went 0-2. current elusive yasuo ashe deck way better 3-0 so far. learned detain can be used to your advantage. opponent detained my ashe. I summoned my other ashe then will of ionia to get two ashes on the board.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    Rough Vault... not even a single epic this time. Still haven't pulled a champion out of one.

I have an expedition token. Should I just do it or get some more card knowledge first?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    In an exposition at 5 or 6 wins. Have a fiora with 3 kills, and just cast a deny on them killing her. We both out of cards. She's my only unit. He has a 1/1 on board. Attack token switches to me.

I pull the 1/1.

Mother fucker drew a riposte. Barrier and +3 Attack. Virtually any other card I win.

Fuck.

MNC Dover wrote: »
    I have an expedition token. Should I just do it or get some more card knowledge first?

@MNC Dover wait until you want to do 3 in a week or have the shards to. That whay you unlock free.expiditions i'd say.

RickRude wrote: »
    In an exposition at 5 or 6 wins. Have a fiora with 3 kills, and just cast a deny on them killing her. We both out of cards. She's my only unit. He has a 1/1 on board. Attack token switches to me.

I pull the 1/1.

Mother fucker drew a riposte. Barrier and +3 Attack. Virtually any other card I win.

Fuck.

Got to 7 wins. Fiora gave me 2. Got to see the shen fiora combo in one game, game 6, and it was awesome! Other games jist relied on my other cards.

Man it takes the pressure off getting 7 wins in your first expiditon. Lost my first game and really thought I had a shitty deck.