As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    I went 5/5 in the first round, but round 2 I'm like 1 and 3 or 4.

Started off using a bunch of random Legendaries in the right power range. Once that fell a bit, I checked the thread, went to PvPoke, grabbed some reasonably high'ish IV teammates, used up some fast/charged TM items, buffed them closer to 1,500, and gave it a whirl, and things went even worse for me.

vOv

They're not complete blowouts, and I find it more fun than some of the other pvp they've tried to do, but I can't say I'm super eager to dive into it. Maybe not being on the forefront will make things a bit easier, as the pool gets bigger?

It's counterintuitive, but random legendaries won't cut it. In this meta, if you don't have a good answer to Altaria (or, uh, an Altaria), you're screwed, especially at the higher rankings. This might help.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    my altaria is 1574 ;_;

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    my altaria is 1574 ;_;

Same situation here. And I got so sick of Swablu I've been auto-flushing them. Ah well, at least my Bastiodon works well against them.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Started off using a bunch of random Legendaries in the right power range. Once that fell a bit, I checked the thread, went to PvPoke, grabbed some reasonably high'ish IV teammates, used up some fast/charged TM items, buffed them closer to 1,500, and gave it a whirl, and things went even worse for me.

vOv

They're not complete blowouts, and I find it more fun than some of the other pvp they've tried to do, but I can't say I'm super eager to dive into it. Maybe not being on the forefront will make things a bit easier, as the pool gets bigger?

It's counterintuitive, but random legendaries won't cut it. In this meta, if you don't have a good answer to Altaria (or, uh, an Altaria), you're screwed, especially at the higher rankings. This might help.

30 of 35 of those teams had an Altaria

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

vOv

Yeah, I looked at PVPoke, swapped to things I had that were allegedly in the 'top ten' at least, even if they weren't ideal, powered a few up, swapped some fast/charged TMs around, and got obliterated even harder.

I may just be failing to grasp when I should swap to a new pokemon based on our matchups or something, but even with allegedly way better choices, I was just getting run over roughshod.

I don't think I've seen many Altaria yet, but I've only got like a dozen fights under my belt so far. I've got a 456 Swablu with good stats that an online calculator says should bump to a 1166'ish Altaria, and then would take some further candy hunting to really edge closer to 1500 with, but the 711 I've got would blow way past that target. Just need 20 more candy for the evolution to see if it's worthwhile, and I've been snagging Swablu's pretty much every time I see them. Even got a shiny one on the weekend.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Get your rhinos ready!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net

vOv

Yeah, I looked at PVPoke, swapped to things I had that were allegedly in the 'top ten' at least, even if they weren't ideal, powered a few up, swapped some fast/charged TMs around, and got obliterated even harder.

I may just be failing to grasp when I should swap to a new pokemon based on our matchups or something, but even with allegedly way better choices, I was just getting run over roughshod.

I don't think I've seen many Altaria yet, but I've only got like a dozen fights under my belt so far. I've got a 456 Swablu with good stats that an online calculator says should bump to a 1166'ish Altaria, and then would take some further candy hunting to really edge closer to 1500 with, but the 711 I've got would blow way past that target. Just need 20 more candy for the evolution to see if it's worthwhile, and I've been snagging Swablu's pretty much every time I see them. Even got a shiny one on the weekend.

Things that can help:

Get a good handle on the rock paper scissors lizard Spock type system. Yes, it's a pain, but it's better than forgetting that, say, psychic is weak to dark and getting unnecessarily wrecked because you forgot to switch. (Like I just did.)

Learn when to use shields and when not to. If an attack is weak to your current 'mon's type (or is just weak in general, like Power-Up Punch), go ahead and take the hit. Those shields will come in handy later when you're facing stronger charged attacks, or when you're stuck in a war of chipping damage.

Get a feel for when to switch Pokemon and when not to. Yes, it may be tempting to switch out a Pokemon that's doing neutral damage for one that does supereffective damage, but that might also be their cue to do the same, and you're stuck.

And wherever possible, switch to charged attacks that are reasonably swift (but aren't too weak like power-up punch). Stone edge is much better than flamethrower for Bastiodon, for instance.

27-8 so far

Found a viable swablu, just need another 180 candies....

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    So, uh...

I'm not sure how these are done, or how legit they are, but The Silph Road reddit is abuzz with news of exploits (third shield? airplane mode?) that may make the Battle League not fair. Just a heads up.

• CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Probopass has been putting in work for me, went 9W 1L today (rank 4-5) with Probopass solo sweeping a few teams. I've solidified my team to Probopass, Meganium, and Azumarill. Meganium has been putting in work as well, caught an Entei with a surprise Earthquake that my opponent decided not to shield. I assume they thought I was using a grass attack.

I now have so many Charged TMs and all I want is a single Quick TM to fix my Azumarill.

So, uh...

I'm not sure how these are done, or how legit they are, but The Silph Road reddit is abuzz with news of exploits (third shield? airplane mode?) that may make the Battle League not fair. Just a heads up.

Might explain why it's currently down for "maintenance."

Went out on raid hour yesterday. Out of six raids, I got five Tornadus... and zero TMs. I need both kinds badly. RNG, man.

FYI: one of the research tasks during this weekend's Sinnoh event is a Sinnoh stone for hatching five eggs. I know I need more.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    NGL I'm getting overwhelmed with the amount of stuff going on this month. The Lunar new year event, special spawn hour, special reward hour, raid hour, now there's a Sinnoh event, then there's Pokemon day stuff, and Vday event later, and then community day the week after that...

it's too much! why is there something every week now!

I wish they had some bit of UI that displayed all upcoming/current events at all times. I just plain forget about events sometimes, and having an ever-present reminder (with an option to toggle it on/off) would be nice.

Cruor wrote: »
    I wish they had some bit of UI that displayed all upcoming/current events at all times. I just plain forget about events sometimes, and having an ever-present reminder (with an option to toggle it on/off) would be nice.

Yeah, if they're going to continue the pace of events on top of events like this, they need some sort of in-game calendar. Flipping through old news posts is a pain.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Only took me 5 7k eggs to hatch a shiny riolu! And it's 98% IV!!

I think it was from one of you from Germany, so whoever it was, many thanks!

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    That was me probably. You're welcome ;)

Is anyone excited for ultra league pvp starting today? Have you played the format? It's supposed to be giratina dominance which sounds boring but otoh I don't expect everyone to spend the required candy, so maybe it won't be so bad.

Wait ultra now? I thought we were doing Great for 30 days

Nope, every two weeks.

Pre-season Great League dates: January 28th to February 10th
    Pre-season Ultra League dates: February 10th to February 24th
    Pre-season Master League dates: February 24th to March 9th
    Leagues will all change over on Pokémon Go's usual reset time at 1pm PST.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    I haven't done any of the battles since I don't have a buff stable of pokemons since I'm much more casual and I figure it'll just be burly men taking my pokemon out to the woodshed for a hwippin.

Also the reason I am just not doing the Giovanni mission. His first pokemon tears apart one and most times two of my three pokemon so I can barely make it to his 3rd. It doesn't help that the people I have talked to about them just go "oh, he was easy, I just threw three pokemon at him and beat him on the first try, what are you doing wrong?" so either he was massively buffed after the first week or two he was introduced or my pokemon are just bad.

steam_sig.png
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    I stopped doing the battles after all the airplane mode and lag exploits became widespread

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    I stopped doing the battles after all the airplane mode and lag exploits became widespread

Those were just fixed.
    Daimar wrote: »
    I haven't done any of the battles since I don't have a buff stable of pokemons since I'm much more casual and I figure it'll just be burly men taking my pokemon out to the woodshed for a hwippin.

Also the reason I am just not doing the Giovanni mission. His first pokemon tears apart one and most times two of my three pokemon so I can barely make it to his 3rd. It doesn't help that the people I have talked to about them just go "oh, he was easy, I just threw three pokemon at him and beat him on the first try, what are you doing wrong?" so either he was massively buffed after the first week or two he was introduced or my pokemon are just bad.

You can get rank rewards for just participating in Battle League up to rank 4, so you might as well give it a shot for some stardust.

But yeah, I'm done with Rocket leader battles too. Too damn much potion/revive costs. Even if you have a stable of Pokemon that can beat them you still have to figure out the lineup by location and adjust, which means more healing.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    You can get rank rewards for just participating in Battle League up to rank 4, so you might as well give it a shot for some stardust.

I'm sitting on over 100K a million stardust because I'm lazy and casual, I don't need to put up with losing at PVP in a game I didn't start for PVP for more.

Daimar on
    steam_sig.png
  • discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Just buff things close to the cap with your dust?
    It's not like the PvP costs revives..

Mind I'm only rank 2 because I haven't walked places recently :(

discrider on
    Having a fair amount of success with Venusaur/Cloyster/Rampardos in the battles, went 8W2L so far (Rank 6). Giratina is a big big problem though, may see about swapping in something better for that. Maybe I have an Alolan Ninetales I could boost? Could work.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I'm hearing Aggron and Steelix can smack down with Giratina, but Ninetales is also a great counter.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    I went 9:1 in my first 10 ultra games. That propelled me from 3151 to 3197 rating. So I just have to keep this winrate for 13 battle sets and I can reach rank 10. The system works.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    discrider wrote: »
    Just buff things close to the cap with your dust?
    It's not like the PvP costs revives..

Mind I'm only rank 2 because I haven't walked places recently :(

Oop. Sorry.

Just considered that my "casual" 'playing for three years with a veritable armada of trash pokes to boost slightly' may not be very casual.

discrider on
    Yeah you’re not a casual if you’re a Best Friend with me (hi to half this thread)

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My wife got us Team Valor letterman jackets from the pokemon center. I married well

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Hmm, I was doing well in Great League but getting smoked in Ultra so for. Oh well.

:so_raven:
    Yeah you’re not a casual if you’re a Best Friend with me (hi to half this thread)

whew good thing I'm only ultra friends with you :)

Corvus wrote: »
    Hmm, I was doing well in Great League but getting smoked in Ultra so for. Oh well.

Same. My Giratina was a good investment, but man do I regret dumping all that stardust into that Snorlax.

• CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Corvus wrote: »

Same. My Giratina was a good investment, but man do I regret dumping all that stardust into that Snorlax.

My Great league line up of Azumaril, Moltres, and Flygon was pretty good.

Still sorting out my Ultra League options. Garchomp, Raikou and Dragonite are doing a bit better now.

:so_raven:
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I got three best friends with one lucky egg!

It was still only like 1/3rd of the bar on the way to lvl 37 ;_;

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    My Ultra team is p good

Gira/Gliscor/Weavile

Only certain Mews and surprisingly Venusaurs threaten

Venusaur is my lead since it is very very good at shield breaking. He's bulky and can charge up attacks super quick. I'm a big fan.

edited February 2020
    Cruor wrote: »
    Venusaur is my lead since it is very very good at shield breaking. He's bulky and can charge up attacks super quick. I'm a big fan.

it seems odd that Venusaur wrecks my dragon/ghost or ice/dark mons, or my flying/ground but has a bug quick move, but it does

My only hope is to take out the rest of my opponent’s team fast enough for 2 or 3 of my mons to survive long enough against it

Captain Inertia on
    Also I have several shiny venusaurs with frenzy plant

All just over 2500 cp

Also I have several shiny venusaurs with frenzy plant

All just over 2500 cp

I missed out on Frenzy Plant for Venusaur sadly, mine has Sludge Bomb and Solar Beam which works out fine.