As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Immigration Policy - ICE still the worst, acting in open defiance of orders given.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    DHS has barred citizens of New York State from enrolling or re-enrolling in Global Entry and Trusted Traveler programs, because of its recently enacted Green Light law that grants New York IDs to undocumented immigrants.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dhs-secretary-chad-wolf-tells-tucker-carlson-new-york-residents-will-pay-for-states-sanctuary-law

So the paperwork for NY v. US is being filed in the morning I assume.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    DHS has barred citizens of New York State from enrolling or re-enrolling in Global Entry and Trusted Traveler programs, because of its recently enacted Green Light law that grants New York IDs to undocumented immigrants.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/dhs-secretary-chad-wolf-tells-tucker-carlson-new-york-residents-will-pay-for-states-sanctuary-law

As are the actual directives from DHS, apparently

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/politics/department-homeland-security-new-york-trusted-traveler-programs/index.html
    A federal law enforcement official told CNN that Customs and Border Proection in New York had not received an official directive from headquarters as of late Wednesday night. The official said the directive might come Thursday morning, and would likely be an order from the Department of Homeland Security sent to CBP headquarters before it is sent to CBP officials in New York.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Wooo I do not see Wall Street reacting well to that.

• YallYall Registered User regular

This is actually Cuomo's fault and the DHS isn't wrong on this one (assuming I'm understanding the process correctly). The NYS Green Light Law added a provision barring certain agencies from accessing DMV data. My understanding is that for programs like NEXUS that data is necessary for the vetting process.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »

As are the actual directives from DHS, apparently

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/06/politics/department-homeland-security-new-york-trusted-traveler-programs/index.html
    A federal law enforcement official told CNN that Customs and Border Proection in New York had not received an official directive from headquarters as of late Wednesday night. The official said the directive might come Thursday morning, and would likely be an order from the Department of Homeland Security sent to CBP headquarters before it is sent to CBP officials in New York.

I'm sure they just need the Secretary of DHS to sign off on something.

Oh wait, we still don't have one of those...

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

I read a blurb speculating it would have an effect on day-to-day commerce. New York truckers going to and returning from Canada now have to dance through more hoops at the border which will mean time wasted.

• YallYall Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »

I read a blurb speculating it would have an effect on day-to-day commerce. New York truckers going to and returning from Canada now have to dance through more hoops at the border which will mean time wasted.

Won't effect existing users but people can apply it re-apply until they sort it out.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The Wall Street Journal: Breaking: Justice Department sues California, New Jersey and a Washington county over “sanctuary” laws

Specifically
    The suits target New Jersey’s law limiting the information the state’s law enforcement agents share with ICE officials on unauthorized immigrants living there as well as an executive order passed by King County in Washington—where Seattle is located—that bars its airport from being used for deportation flights. Two weeks ago, the government sued California over a new state law banning for-profit immigration detention centers.

Viskod on
  • MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    Your Party of States Rights, ladies and gentlemen.

The hypocrisy would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51449739
    Native American burial sites have been blown up by construction crews building the US-Mexico border wall, says a lawmaker and tribal leaders.

Authorities confirmed that "controlled blasting" has begun at Arizona's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, a Unesco recognised natural reserve.

Raul Grijalva, a Democratic congressman, called the destruction "sacrilegious".

The government failed to consult the Tohono O'odham Nation, he said.

Environmental groups also warn of the damage being done to the local underground aquifer, as well as to migrating wildlife in the remote desert region about 115 miles (185km) west of Tucson.

Officials say the aim of the project is to construct a 30ft-tall (9m) steel barrier that runs for 43 miles on the national park land.

Disgraceful. :sad:

KoopahTroopah on
  • MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »
    Your Party of States Rights, ladies and gentlemen.

The hypocrisy would be funny if it wasn't so dangerous.

The only rights states have is to be more oppressive than the federal government, not less.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    For just 43 miles. On an area of land that is already under supervision and surveillance.

The dumbest shit, done in the dumbest way possible.

Native American burial sites have been blown up by construction crews building the US-Mexico border wall, says a lawmaker and tribal leaders.

Authorities confirmed that "controlled blasting" has begun at Arizona's Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, a Unesco recognised natural reserve.

Environmental groups also warn of the damage being done to the local underground aquifer, as well as to migrating wildlife in the remote desert region about 115 miles (185km) west of Tucson.

Officials say the aim of the project is to construct a 30ft-tall (9m) steel barrier that runs for 43 miles on the national park land.

This would be rejected by Captain Planet writers as too on the nose.

• ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »

This would be rejected by Captain Planet writers as too on the nosemotherfucking, monstrously, stupid.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular

This would be rejected by Captain Planet writers as too on the nosemotherfucking, monstrously, stupid.

Wasn't there an episode where a villain literally tied people to chairs and funneled toxic sludge down their throats at his "seafood restaurant"? Just saying.

...but yeah, the worst thing in the dumbest way.

What makes me especially furious about stuff like this is that the damage is irreversible. You can't un-destroy a monument or un-poison the groundwater. Same with logging/mineral extraction in national parks; same with building oil pipelines in sensitive areas. It's people choosing to destroy precious natural and cultural sites that cannot be replaced, purely for convenience or short-term gain, and treating that decision with exactly none of the gravity it deserves. Looking at "nature" as nothing more than an annoying green substance that's blocking your construction site.

• JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Kruite wrote: »
    "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

We don't want your poors - Donald J Trump
    Calica wrote: »

Wasn't there an episode where a villain literally tied people to chairs and funneled toxic sludge down their throats at his "seafood restaurant"? Just saying.

What makes me especially furious about stuff like this is that the damage is irreversible. You can't un-destroy a monument or un-poison the groundwater. Same with logging/mineral extraction in national parks; same with building oil pipelines in sensitive areas. It's people choosing to destroy precious natural and cultural sites that cannot be replaced, purely for convenience or short-term gain, and treating that decision with exactly none of the gravity it deserves. Looking at "nature" as nothing more than an annoying green substance that's blocking your construction site.

It was more like he was threatening to make them eat toxic-tainted seafood harvested from polluted waters, but yeah. And that wasn't even the worst thing they showed- Captain Planet could be very, very freaking heavy when it wanted to be (they did have episodes on puppy mills, for example- if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go hug my cats...)

But yeah, it's just business as usual. And his people will cheer it because it means they get to screw someone they blame for why their lives are absolute shit instead of the actual reasons their lives are shit (themselves).

JaysonFour on
    steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • RaijuRaiju Shoganai JapanRegistered User regular
    JaysonFour wrote: »
    "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free..."

It was more like he was threatening to make them eat toxic-tainted seafood harvested from polluted waters, but yeah. And that wasn't even the worst thing they showed- Captain Planet could be very, very freaking heavy when it wanted to be (they did have episodes on puppy mills, for example- if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to go hug my cats...)

But yeah, it's just business as usual. And his people will cheer it because it means they get to screw someone they blame for why their lives are absolute shit instead of the actual reasons their lives are shit (themselves).

Yup, Trump's base will cheer even if it means deep fiscal cuts to federal social programs that help poor whites too. Because it's the bucket of crabs analogy that The Boondocks cartoon made, applied to real life, and they're too stupid to realize it.

• CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »

Yup, Trump's base will cheer even if it means deep fiscal cuts to federal social programs that help poor whites too. Because it's the bucket of crabs analogy that The Boondocks cartoon made, applied to real life, and they're too stupid to realize it.

...or too brainwashed by rich assholes who benefit from keeping the crabs in the bucket.

• VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Raiju wrote: »

Uh, boondocks didnt come up with the crab bucket analogy. It had been a thing for a long time before the cartoon had even been a figment of imagination in the creator's mind.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Captain Planet villains would hurt anyone to make money.

Trump republicans will spend any money to hurt the right people.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    With all those remakes of classic kids cartoons, I think we really need a Captain Planet remake. I wonder if any company would dare?

CelestialBadger on
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Live-action remake. Match the original character ethnicities, change literally none of the episodes. Watch the internet explode over the SJW pandering.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • ApogeeApogee Lancks In Every Game Ever Registered User regular
    I feel like Captain Planet would just be this these days:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcW7ttZfZ8c

8R7BtLw.png
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    Live-action remake. Match the original character ethnicities, change literally none of the episodes. Watch the internet explode over the SJW pandering.

I feel like it'd almost have to be animated. An effects heavy show like that would probably be quite an undertaking in live action, and cheaping out on said effects would just draw mockery.

Alternatively, go full edgelord and make a dark/gritty version, like that 'mature' Power Rangers short video thing (mini-movie? I dunno, it was like 10 minutes long) that came out a while back.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular

One of the few properties where grimdark reboot would be appropriate. Imagine a Captain Planet, a literal avatar of the world, who sees that things are worsening, attempts at improvement are few, and there's no will to make things better. Oh, and the kids are Millennials who don't have any hope for a better world, with Heart especially transmitting that deep despair to the Captain.

Dude would rack up a body count beyond compare.

• Giggles_FunsworthGiggles_Funsworth Blight on Discourse Bay Area SprawlRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »

One of the few properties where grimdark reboot would be appropriate. Imagine a Captain Planet, a literal avatar of the world, who sees that things are worsening, attempts at improvement are few, and there's no will to make things better. Oh, and the kids are Millennials who don't have any hope for a better world, with Heart especially transmitting that deep despair to the Captain.

Dude would rack up a body count beyond compare.

Somebody pitch this to CW.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    We got a live-action Captain Planet a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwJaELXadKo

It's the exact tone needed.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    I remember a game run every year at my local tabletop convention based on this- only they cast the five heroes as, well...
    Kwame is a child soldier, from an African country constantly at war, having seen more atrocities before his 14th birthday than most people do in their lives. Wheeler is a full-blown gang member in good standing, with a bodycount and a habit. Linka is portrayed as a Russian child prostitute, having been born into the business. Gi is one of an indigenous tribe of people being pushed out of their homeland by a government seeking to exploit the natural resources on their lands. Ma-Ti lives in the barrio of Rio de Janerio, living on the scraps of society and doing whatever he can to survive. The goal of the game? Try to make an idealized, better world while fighting enemies and your own fears and experiences and neuroses so you don't end up destroying the world yourselves because of your own views. Oh, and survive each other until the end of the game- there's been at least three instances of PvP, I think.

I don't think the game's ever been 'won'...

But to get back on topic, it just feels like they're doing it just to fulfill a campaign promise to build his stupid wall. I've always compared the Republican party to a suicide black Magic: the Gathering deck (will sacrifice everything down to the last point of life to kill the opponent), and this proves it. Yes, the land is already patrolled, but baby needs his wa-wa to show how big and strong and manly he is, and they think only some libtard would protest at blowing up some old stone things that they know nothing about.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Trump is moving some billions more over from the military budget to build America's wall

The Wall Street Journal:

This includes re-purposing something like a billion and a half from overseas operations

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Wait, didn't the courts say he couldn't do that already? Or was that a different attempt at "reallocating" government funds?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Gosh, it turns out there's a whole lot of slack in the military budget.

• Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »
    Trump is moving some billions more over from the military budget to build America's wall

The Wall Street Journal:

This includes re-purposing something like a billion and a half from overseas operations

Pros: That's over a billion less being spent on murdering kids and families.

Cons: It's being used on an ineffective, racist monument.

Also, it's nice to know that the president can just take money out of the military budget. We should do that next time we get a president to fund social programs with the military budget.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Wait, didn't the courts say he couldn't do that already? Or was that a different attempt at "reallocating" government funds?

why would he care what the courts say?

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular

Possibly, but chances are that money was allocated to go to something useful like food or fuel or ammo, and it’s going to cause problems down the line.

This is Trump after all. I really doubt that any more thought went into it outside of ‘I want my wall‘ and which area of the budget had enough cash to make it happen.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Nah, he probably took it out of something nobody in the military needs, like the medical services or retirement.

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The President can do anything if he believes it's in the national interest!
    Like keeping brown people out of OUR country!

• daveNYCdaveNYC Why universe hate Waspinator? Registered User regular
    Nah, he probably took it out of something nobody in the military needs, like the medical services or retirement.
    True. You could cut the VA and pensions all you want and probably be the best kind of correct when you say the people affected aren’t actually in the military.

Shut up, Mr. Burton! You were not brought upon this world to get it!
    edited February 2020
    daveNYC wrote: »

Possibly, but chances are that money was allocated to go to something useful like food or fuel or ammo, and it’s going to cause problems down the line.

3 years time. The headlines

"Outpost overrun by insurgents. Troops blame lack of budget for arms, fortifications. President Sanders slammed by conservatives."

CelestialBadger on
    daveNYC wrote: »

This is Trump after all. I really doubt that any more thought went into it outside of ‘I want my wall‘ and which area of the budget had enough cash to make it happen.

If it's the same as what I remember reading the last time, they were construction funds for maintenance and repair at various bases and troop housing.

• RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    If our troops want bases or housing they should take it from the enemy!

By it, I meant actual buildings, but we're already selling their services to other countries so they might as well get paid through banditry

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
This discussion has been closed.