As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Good Place] Like a Wave Returning to the Ocean

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    As far as the door goes
    it's not concrete and I very much doubt the showrunners will ever give a concrete "this is what happens when you go through the door", as it would seem to me to violate the whole point of leaving the result uncertain. The door is just a story tool or device, not the point or the destination.

The only definite things seems to be that, in the act of a Good Person walking through the door, they impart some amount of their own Good on the living world. Obviously this is in keeping with the show's theme of "helping each other helps everyone", but I think the showrunners would say that ideas about transcending to a higher plane, total dissolution, reincarnation, or any of dozens of potential ideas would be equally valid because the point of the ending is not to say "this is what will happen to you when you die", but that helping each other helps the world.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    For all we know, what happens for one person when they go through the door is not what happens to any other.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It at least implies some awareness or guidance on the part of the person who went through the door.
    I doubt it was a pure billions to one chance that she just happened to inspire that guy to give Michael something he'd always wanted; a crappy rewards card.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    My only complaint is I REALLY wanted to see fire squid.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Bucketman wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    If we're talking best season finales, Scrubs should be up there, as long we don't count the extra season (which I enjoyed).

Scrubs was 8 seasons exactly, no more and no less.

Scrubs was 163 seasons long based on how many times I've rewatched certain seasons repeatedly and watched the entire series over and over and over.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The internet is at its worst again it seems, judging by all the stuff going on before and after Jameela Jamil coming out as queer.

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    The internet is at its worst again it seems, judging by all the stuff going on before and after Jameela Jamil coming out as queer.

Also proof that equality for LGBTI, like sexism and racism, still has a long fucking way to go.

Just don't understand people that feel the need to attack people for who they are. I'm not saying you need to not feel the way you do*, but keep that hate to yourself.
    * Though I think some self-reflection of WHY you feel that way can make you not feel that way so much. Is how I came around on LGBTI acceptance.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    MorganV wrote: »

Also proof that equality for LGBTI, like sexism and racism, still has a long fucking way to go.

Just don't understand people that feel the need to attack people for who they are. I'm not saying you need to not feel the way you do*, but keep that hate to yourself.
    * Though I think some self-reflection of WHY you feel that way can make you not feel that way so much. Is how I came around on LGBTI acceptance.

Well she's also brown so this is a nice double whammy for them

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Well she's also brown so this is a nice double whammy for them

And a woman (obviously), an activist (anti body shaming), and a foreigner, so they dipshit brigade (US division) hit the quintuple there.

edited February 2020
    And at the same time she's also getting hit with not being queer enough and coming out to late to co-host a show about vogueing, as far as I know from the last article I read about the whole affair.

honovere on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And at the same time she's also getting hit with not being queer enough and coming out to late to co-host a show about vogueing, as far as I know from the last article I read about the whole affair.

I think this all started when an article implied she was THE host instead of a co-host, the vogueing community (apparently there is one) got pissed, she tried to smooth things over, and, well.

I can almost kinda sorta vaguely understand the complaints, but Jameela had the best of intentions the entire time. Especially since she never painted herself as THE host.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I think this all started when an article implied she was THE host instead of a co-host, the vogueing community (apparently there is one) got pissed, she tried to smooth things over, and, well.

I can almost kinda sorta vaguely understand the complaints, but Jameela had the best of intentions the entire time. Especially since she never painted herself as THE host.

I'm probably gonna regret this, but what the heck is this? I did a google, and I'm only seeing references to the Madonna thing from 30 years ago. Has the word been co-opted for something else more serious, or is this just as venial and stupid as it sounds?

edited February 2020

I'm probably gonna regret this, but what the heck is this? I did a google, and I'm only seeing references to the Madonna thing from 30 years ago. Has the word been co-opted for something else more serious, or is this just as venial and stupid as it sounds?

Caveat: this is coming from a straight white dude. But from what I can piece together, it's essentially campy, queer-friendly dance competitions inspired by that song. Some people make it a big part of their identities -- kind of like professional cosplayers. The other two judges on the show are professional voguers. I think it's the queer-friendly (or maybe entirely queer, see caveat) part that has people feeling protective.

Edit: better description below.

cloudeagle on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular

Madonna coopted it

Its a dance and show style that was big in the gay and drag communities in the 80s and 90s.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

It is not "venial and stupid," it is a marginalized subculture of people who are rightly frustrated when it is coopted by corporate interests who hire more approachable people who have nothing to do with the subculture in order to turn it into something profitable.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

It is not "venial and stupid," it is a marginalized subculture of people who are rightly frustrated when it is coopted by corporate interests who hire more approachable people who have nothing to do with the subculture in order to turn it into something profitable.

Venial and stupid is not a cool description, no. It's definitely an important thing to a lot of people.

BUT, reality competition shows having at least one judge who isn't ultra into the topic at hand, especially when they're more well known and can draw an audience, is totally normal. See: Amy Poehler on Making It, etc.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, with a show like that, you want at least one person who's not familiar with it, so that you have someone you can explain things to so that the uninitiated members of your audience 1) understand what's going on, but 2) don't feel like they're being directly taught the things they're learning, because nobody likes going to class in their downtime.

Jameela Jamil is just about one of the best people you could get for that specific role, if that's how they're planning to use her.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I eagerly await the Jojo pose show

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
    edited February 2020

I apologize for my word choice, and as should be clear wasn't aware that this was co-opted by Madonna back then, nor was it a part of an already marginalized group.

When I made the post, and again, with no context despite Google searching and finding nothing, my initial thought was that it was just Madonna fans (with no specific minority identity) getting pissy and harrassing Jameela because she hasn't been a fan for 30 years. That would have been venial and stupid, because for rabid fans (of pretty much every stripe) that attack and harass someone because they're not QUITE as big a fan or looking into the subject for the first time (I'd assume Jameela had at least some interest in the topic if she was signing up for the show), that description is pretty apt.

Consider me educated on the issue.

MorganV on
    There's a whole show on Netflix about that subculture. Saw only a single ep yet, but supposedly it's pretty good.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    voguing / waacking are both styles that originate in lgbt scenes albeit on different coasts that have sort of escaped into the dance ether at this point

you have almost post-waacking emerging at this point as it is hybridised and processed into other dance styles (you can see this transition even within individual dancers!)

eg elements of both and others in this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrdtUOcjURo

not sure how strongly the ownership claim can be made but all sort of orthogonal. vogue dance competitions are kind of great tho if u ever have a bit of time to kill

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    My favorite part of the last episode was subtle but very rewarding if you have been following character development
    Chidi's main personality trait is his indecisiveness.... When he makes it to the door he hugs Janet and just walks right in and ignores the bench. He's moved past that and is now ready to leave.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The wave metaphor works even better if you think of a human being as a gestalt collection of atoms. Position and velocity. Quantum Mechanics.
    A collective wave-function, and upon death, our probability distribution collapses back to a zero-state, finite, solution.

Schur is a genius.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    The best joke is absolutely the Palto joke, cause there is no attention drawn to it. The whopping five seconds it is on screen it isnt even in the focus of the scene, but always off to the side.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    As in the "who died and left him in charge of ethics" joke?

It's real good. Setup and delivery reminds me a lot of one of my favorite Avatar: The Last Airbender moments.
    "Oh yeah? Well can your science explain why it rains?"
    "Yes ! Yes, it can!

steam_sig.png
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    The scientific method, like the wind versus a mountain.

The mountain representing mistruths, and the unknown. And the wind.. well you get the point. :)

And eventually, given enough time, the mountain becomes just a hill.

Zilla360 on
    |Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • DocshiftyDocshifty Registered User regular
    As in the "who died and left him in charge of ethics" joke?

It's real good. Setup and delivery reminds me a lot of one of my favorite Avatar: The Last Airbender moments.
    "Oh yeah? Well can your science explain why it rains?"
    "Yes ! Yes, it can!

No, when Eleanor quits the Sidney group. Chidi is getting class started when he realizes he needs to go talk to her. But he is dead tired from being up all night weighing the ethical ramifications of being friends with the test subjects. Because of this exhaustion, on the white board, he wrote Palto instead of Plato.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Caught up on this today.

I would have liked one more episode re: fixing the good place but...wow. That was amazing even if the finale was brutal in the best way possible.

Two amusing things, one "hmrm" thing.
    Jason. Just...there for who knows how the fuck long. Making the trait chosen to torture him the apex of his existence at the end.

The calendar.

Michael was in charge of the Good Place. Michael is gone. The committee is dissolved, but..

Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Caught up on this today.

I would have liked one more episode re: fixing the good place but...wow. That was amazing even if the finale was brutal in the best way possible.

Two amusing things, one "hmrm" thing.
    Jason. Just...there for who knows how the fuck long. Making the trait chosen to torture him the apex of his existence at the end.

The calendar.

Michael was in charge of the Good Place. Michael is gone. The committee is dissolved, but..
    Chidi making the calendar for Eleanor on his way out, was just the sweetest thing.

As for who's running things, I think that's the point. The system works without need for control. Which does bring up the "Well, isn't that what fucked up the previous system that lead to the existence of the entire series?". Yup. But I think the architects (including Tahani) having sufficient influence, rather than the feckless weenies that abandoned Michael to it's control, have enough interest in tweaking things as it goes. I would have liked seeing Tahani take on a new apprentice as her final scene, to indicate leadership itself is an ever expanding cycle, rather than something that could stagnate again. But that's my head canon at least.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Shadowhope wrote: »
    Here’s a crazy thought: I think that eventually, Tahani will be the last human, and eventually the last being from this incarnation of the universe. When the universe closes down and everyone from the other architects to the Janets to Gen herself goes home, as the perfect hostess Tahani will be the one who stacks the chairs, turns off the lights, and locks the door. Tahani will become God.

She’ll take a day off, and then create a new universe.

@Shadowhope also this was beautiful and you made my philosopher girlfriend cry happy/sad tears when I related it to her.

If you haven't heard, Parks and Recreation is coming back with a new episode tomorrow at 8:30 eastern on NBC. It was all shot with everyone in isolation (with the pandemic a thing in the show's universe), though it sticks to the future fates of the characters revealed in the finale. The ENTIRE cast is back (Mike Schur said everyone responded with a yes within 45 minutes) along with half a dozen guest stars. (The first person you see isn't a main cast member and sets the tone of the special.) It was written by six Parks and Rec (and The Good Place) writers, with the effects team of The Good Place making it look better than people sitting alone in their houses staring at computers. On top of all that, the episode raises money for Feeding America's COVID-19 Response Fund.

So hell yes.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    One the one hand: yay, more Parks!

On the other: a reunion episode in these times makes me think about how Knope & Co. would have weathered the current administration so far, and I'm not sure that's something I want to know.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
    Bursar wrote: »

On the other: a reunion episode in these times makes me think about how Knope & Co. would have weathered the current administration so far, and I'm not sure that's something I want to know.

Did you see Leslie Knope's open letter regarding the Trump election (written by the Parks and Rec staff)? It was pretty damn great.

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    D'arcy Carden finally got her Emmy nom that she's deserved for a while. William Jackson Harper as well. In supporting roles, obviously. Danson was nominated again, as was the show. Not sure that Bell deserves one on the merits for this show, but she's still owed a win for 2005.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    Bursar wrote: »

Did you see Leslie Knope's open letter regarding the Trump election (written by the Parks and Rec staff)? It was pretty damn great.

2016 was so long ago.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    Jameela is also very bendy. She has a physical condition that allows her to bend her body into weird positions.

Well, it's been three years since the show ended (or possibly since January, damn pandemic) but we've finally got the season four blooper reel.

https://youtu.be/J4tAPFboIO8

Well, it's been three years since the show ended (or possibly since January, damn pandemic) but we've finally got the season four blooper reel.

The choice for character to introduce the gag reel, like most decisions in the show, was perfect.

Don't recall having seen the official Season 3 one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uolHo5M9eZs

Darcy and the dogs (3:45) I'd seen a snippet of (and will remain awesome), but the "Ted and the Book" runner was new, and awesome.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2020
    Don't recall having seen the official Season 3 one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uolHo5M9eZs

Darcy and the dogs (3:45) I'd seen a snippet of (and will remain awesome), but the "Ted and the Book" runner was new, and awesome.

I've seen the lizard but most of that seemed new.

I can't decide if Sean is Evil-Kevin (from B99), or just regular Kevin with different professional responsibilities.

ArbitraryDescriptor on