As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Satisfactory] FPS Factorio

SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGamingRegistered User regular
edited November 2022 in Games and Technology
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIEnhYio0VQ

ax8bpaq06969.png

Satisfactory is a first person factory automation building game by Coffee Stain. It's one of those games where you build a thing that mines ore, so you build a thing that refines ore into ingots, and you make conveyor belts to connect them, then you split the conveyor belt into multiple tracks so you turn ingots into screws and nails and plates and then you turn the screws and nails and plates into contraptions and turn the contraptions into bigger contraptions until eventually you have a base that looks like this:

mpnsmj8uzf8q.png

Did you play Factorio but wanted to be able to move around your factory a little more intimately? This game is for you! Also I should maybe mention that they gave me a copy for free to stream back when it came out but I am otherwise unaffiliated and just think the game is rad.

Automate! Extract resources! Explore a weird alien planet! It has a decent sense of humor too!

So, SHOW ME YOUR BELTS! Also there's pipes now! It's in early access on Epic but is coming soon to Steam!

SniperGuy on

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    This game is so so so good. I have to hold myself off from playing too much before it gets out of early access.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Oh! It's coming to steam!? That was the only thing stopping me. :D

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    Oh! It's coming to steam!? That was the only thing stopping me. :D

The end of that new video is pretty good

w5iec2n85vpu.png

And yes! https://store.steampowered.com/app/526870/Satisfactory/

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sweet Cog Jesus, it's FPS Factorio.

No. Noooooooo.

• Options

No. Noooooooo.

And yes, you can ride the conveyor belts.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Mandatory posting of the best video series on this game:

If you don't know Lets Game It Out as a channel then uh, go in blind and enjoy.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »

No. Noooooooo.

AAAAAAAAAA

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Factorio and Subnautica are the only crafting games I can tolerate. Removing all that pesky survival and toil and getting right to the adventure and fun toys.

This game looks like it could provide a similar vibe.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote: »
    Factorio and Subnautica are the only crafting games I can tolerate. Removing all that pesky survival and toil and getting right to the adventure and fun toys.

There are a few weird hostile creatures here and there, but nothing that really gets in the way of building.

• Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular

No. Noooooooo.

AAAAAAAAAA

There's also vehicles, freight trains, jump pads and safe landing jello.

And they're adding Futurama style hypertubes for transit along with the ability to do cool crouch slides under your conveyors.

Satisfactory is a game entirely about making a mechanical hellscape that is *uniquely yours* and which you take joy in moving through and extending.

• Options
    edited February 2020

There are a few weird hostile creatures here and there, but nothing that really gets in the way of building.

That's not even my issue with the genre. Its the toil. Its being dumped in a spot while simultaneously starving, freezing, and sunburning with no clue how to achieve anything with everything trying to eat you (I'm looking at you Ark.) When I had to use a Youtube tutorial to learn I had to start punching trees, I had to stop playing.

Subnautica dumps you on a candy colored coral reef where you have all the food and water you need and you could live happily ever, where the only thing driving you is your own desire to explore and get better toys to further your exploration, creating a satisfying loop. Factorio also hands you everything you need. Both games hand you the breadcrumbs you need to strike out on your own and leave just enough up to the imagination of the player. Subnautica drives the player with better exploration toys like a Metroidvania. Factorio drives the player with the constant nagging feeling of "I should be automating this and I could if I think hard enough."

If Subnautica had dinosaurs, the player would at least be partially ready for them when they arrive, and they will fill the missing part with their own ambition and imagination.

EDIT - Actually, Arknautica would start you off in a lush, safe green place, with the dinos in some hazardous place and players would be building up to start treading there.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Time to get into satisfactory.

This face is just so damn good.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Do we know when/if its going to come out on Steam?

Also, this dumb series has me laughing really hard and my coworkers are looking funny at me.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    Brody wrote: »
    Do we know when/if its going to come out on Steam?

Also, this dumb series has me laughing really hard and my coworkers are looking funny at me.

Official dev answer is "Tuesday 2020".

Which is NOT HELPFUL to me now that I know about this game.

• Options
    FiatilFiatil Registered User regular
    I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but the music is fucking awesome. I took the plunge and bought it on not-Steam and the music helps a lot with spending lots of time building conveyor belts!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Anyone else have trouble in the PTR with the water pumps bugging out sometimes? I think it doesn't handle the case well when you screw up / lose power and water backflows the wrong way into it. I had to rebuild them several times before I got my water network in a functioning steady state.

I mean I am loading a complex legacy save so there is ... a lot of weirdness. I wouldn't be surprised if 1) it was just me, or 2) I'm just doing pipes wrong.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    FUCKING PIPES

YES

Core question here is whether player two in multi can see storage boxes and power information as of this build? The experience for player two, with depots and storage, has been a disaster up to now.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I heard Factorio has the better automation between the two games, but this looks far more fun. And this is still in early access, so improved mechanics are inevitable.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Factorio is a way better 'programming' game but the extra dimension in Satisfactory just makes things a little bit more interesting.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I can’t figure out liquid pumps on my existing save so I made a new one on the desert biome. Sliding down dunes is fun and I forgot how annoying biomass burners are until you get a good infinite power plant loop going.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Anyone have a good guide for properly doing a building for organization? With the vertical conveyors and everything it seems like you could do some rad stuff but I'm frozen with indecision when I try to make stuff.

• Options
    I heard Factorio has the better automation between the two games, but this looks far more fun. And this is still in early access, so improved mechanics are inevitable.

Yeah, Satisfactory hasn't replaced Factorio for me. At the end of the day Factorio just has the better interface and setup to make mass automation pretty damn easy -- the lack of a 3rd dimension helps a lot. It also has a bit more of a concrete goal and outside force pushing you forward -- the aliens are a dynamic enemy that adapt to your factory and make you walk a balancing act to pull everything off successfully.

But Satisfactory is very pretty, has awesome music, and is immersive and fun. I don't think it will ever be as easy to pull off huge projects in it as in Factorio (and that's completely ignoring Factorio's blueprint system that lets you just copy paste entire sections of your factory and have your robots build them for you), but it's still a really cool game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I really want to try this out, but after the ordeal that was installing "Control" with the EGS, I'll wait until it comes out on Steam

• Options
    It was super straightforward on epic, just a standard installation. I'd much prefer seeing, but this was actually the game that made me create an epic store account!

• Options
    Also, I do not like Factorio's Science Juices for researching technologies. They're thematically ridiculous and obnoxious to produce.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I want this game in my veins, but I have no clue what the end goal is.

Like.. will there be scenarios? Will there be a narrative? Will it just be SimCity but with a sandbox mode?

How evil are Ficxit anyways?

:)

But yeah, I love everything I've seen about this game.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ficxit are definitely building something in space. Also they definitely don't care about the planet they sent you to strip mine.

Also there sure does seem to be a lot of wreckage, all machinery that you have also been issued in order to send stuff up to space.....

Also they sent you to a hostile planet armed with a joy buzzer.

• Options
    So, seems fine I'm sure they're entirely benevolent!

• Options
    If you haven't yet, check out the poster in the bathroom of your Hub!

• Options
    Heh so this game is actually the best example of the EGS being terrible I've seen. I'm not a fan of the storefront but this was a bit too much to pass up, so I went for it.

It was fine, until this thread made me boot it up again a couple of days ago. I saw the patch notes for .3, and of course I have to have all of the shiny new features. It's on the experimental branch, cool no big deal I do that all of the time on steam. Start the game downloading, I'm looking around for a way to bring up a settings menu a la steam to enable the experimental branch, can't find it. Alright, minor annoyance, EGS just has a different menu or something I'm sure, so I search for how to do it.

Aaaand the experimental branch is a completely separate install. Not a nice clean patch like with steam that you can enable and disable at your whim -- nope, you have to run parallel installs. You could theoretically uninstall the non-experimental and just use the experimental, but it has a big banner in the top left that means I'd like to migrate to the regular install as soon as the patch is live.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Also, I do not like Factorio's Science Juices for researching technologies. They're thematically ridiculous and obnoxious to produce.

This does essentially the same thing, just without the "juice" abstraction. You tech up by feeding your main HQ a bunch of increasingly expensive and hard to produce components to get to the next level. The components themselves don't really make sense for the tech, it's just a linear progression of "higher tech stuff needs more complex materials" a la Factorio.

Factorio is

Stuff --> Science Vials!! --> research

Satisfactory is

Stuff --> research

which I get. I guess I do kind of like factorio's attempt to visually represent "Science!!" happening with the vials, but they probably are a bit goofy. The "obnoxious to produce" part is still there with Satisfactory though, as all it does is remove the science vial producing building in the middle -- the materials requirements are still increasingly tough to pull off. But in both games it's probably the main mechanic that pushes you to making megahuge factories, and makes sense to me given their general lack of overall goals outside of that.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hehe hyper tubes are amusing. I'll miss the jetpack-required Conveyer Belt Launch Network I built across my save's map, but that ... was obviously not intentional. With level 5 belts you could launch yourself so damn fast the game had trouble loading in scenery fast enough.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    This game is excellent, and I haven't played it since before the trains update. I've been waiting for this new update, and I'll probably wait for it to hit the main branch instead of experimental.

Progression has probably been changed, but one thing that drives me crazy in Factorio, and did in this as well, is the buildup of infrastructure to all of a sudden become superfluous once you hit the research goals.

The space elevator is a perfect solution. Make it so that tiers require a constant stream of resources and products to be shipped, or you lose access. That way you continue to build out your factory and it never becomes useless.

• Options
    I tried the desert biome but I fairly quickly retreated back to the grass biome. Desert seems oddly hilly with all the sand dunes, might be a pain in the butt to build stuff. Or it might be an incentive to make factory floors? I still haven't figured out building an actual building, the prospect scares me.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    in factorio the problem science creates is to figure out how to get all those disparate items to the same assemblers to make the science bits.

also factorio never makes things not useful, as literally every research needs the lesser components. even the endgame infinite tech need boring old red science to go. pretty much the only item you'll never produce again while automating stuff is stone furnaces. pretty much everything else is either useful, or used to make the useful things.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    in factorio the problem science creates is to figure out how to get all those disparate items to the same assemblers to make the science bits.

also factorio never makes things not useful, as literally every research needs the lesser components. even the endgame infinite tech need boring old red science to go. pretty much the only item you'll never produce again while automating stuff is stone furnaces. pretty much everything else is either useful, or used to make the useful things.

Today, with a broken heart, I youtubed how to automate the miserable process of making the Science vials.

• Options
    Played for a couple of hours last night (music still soooo gooooddd) and am starting to get back into the groove. I've only ever made one factory in this, for the initial launch, so started completely over as is recommended with all of the massive changes and such.

It was a mild bummer to realize how small the map is. Not shocking, as I knew it wasn't randomly generated and I totally get going for the handcrafted world in a 3D game, but it did put a damper on my desire to start completely over for a bit. I went with the grass biome again, because I like flat and having to move resources around with the spare deposits is pretty cool.

But that pretty quickly revealed the smallness of the map -- I figured I would just pick a totally different spot within the biome to change it up a bit, right? I played for about 2 weeks around the initial launch, almost a full year ago, so went a-searching. Resource deposits are sparse, which was to be expected, so I'm trying to find a nice spot to plunk down my HQ between copper and Iron and....I wound up in exactly the same spot as last time! My spawn location looked pretty different, but after a few seconds of looking at my future HQ spot it just all set in that I was in exactly the same spot, and it was impossible not to see the ghost of my old factory buildings everywhere I looked. I wound up looking at a map online to see if there were opportunities abound that I just wasn't seeing, but it confirmed that the map is fairly small and distribution of resources does lead to a pretty small number of "optimal" base locations.

I wound up getting over it and found a decent alternative spot, but it does ultimately lessen replayability a bit. In both this and Factorio the beginning is pretty much always going to be the same (barring getting crazy with the settings in Factorio) and having a random gen map definitely spices it up a bit for runs after the first one. It's early access so I'm sure they'll add new worlds at some point though -- I'm hoping they do at least! The size of the map definitely doesn't limit you from building a megahuge factory (pleeenty of space for that) either.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »

Today, with a broken heart, I youtubed how to automate the miserable process of making the Science vials.

Oh god yeah you should not be making those by hand. You'll need thousands and thousands of them, and the craft time is long to make it so you have to automate it. You're not crazy for being a bit frustrated by the prospect initially! But it is ultimately kind of what drives the game (and Satisfactory too). The devs designed the research system as essentially a hands off tutorial for progressing in the game -- the stuff you need to automate for the research vials is stuff you're going to want to automate period once you get the tech that those research vials unlock. It's what pushes your factory to crazy new scales, requiring you to figure out how to get more resources, more power, while not also polluting the hell out of the world to the extent that the aliens completely overwhelm you (or building so many guns that you can just tell them to fuck off).

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    uhhhh @SniperGuy a factory floor is pretty critical!

Building on the disgusting organic ground is not efficient.

• Options
    spool32 wrote: »
    uhhhh @SniperGuy a factory floor is pretty critical!

Building on the disgusting organic ground is not efficient.

@spool32 I'M A MONSTER

5z6j55gdqsqi.jpg