As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The good, the bad and [The Mandalorian] OPEN SPOILERS

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »
    The movie doesn't present him as a Mandalorian, it presents him as "just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe". Who happens to have some fancy armor.

You didn't think that was evasive and obviously false modesty from a guy who found himself being investigated by a Jedi?

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    The movie doesn't present him as a Mandalorian, it presents him as "just a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe". Who happens to have some fancy armor.

You didn't think that was evasive and obviously false modesty from a guy who found himself being investigated by a Jedi?

He leaves out the part where he was hired by a Sith Lord to assassinate a senator. Both of those are bad things to mention when you're being investigated by a Jedi.

As far as we know, there's nothing illegal about being a Mandalorian.

reVerse on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    The entire Star Wars universe is based on retconning the past fiction. It’s fundamental to Star Wars to present something that contradicts something previously while closing its eyes and plugging its ears and shouting, “No it was really supposed to be this way all along!”

can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Ahsoka Tano is running around in a brown robe with a couple light sabers doing good deeds for people. Ain't a Jedi tho.

Don't really care either way about the Fetts, just pointing out that wearing the same stuff and using the same tools doesn't make someone part of a group.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    There might not be anything illegal about being a Mandalorian warrior, but they have history with the Jedi and there isn't really a need to antagonize each other when simply ignoring it works better. Both Jango and Obi know who is who, so why go into it?

• Options
    Ashoka is a Jedi in everything but name. And that was a late stage development to the character that viewers were the journey for. But at any point.... you look at Ashoka and her whole thing and think, "Jedi".... just like you are supposed to look at Jango and think "Mandalorian."

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Ashoka is a Jedi in everything but name. And that was a late stage development to the character that viewers were the journey for. But at any point.... you look at Ashoka and her whole thing and think, "Jedi".... just like you are supposed to look at Jango and think "Mandalorian."

I mean, yeah, the idea is that Jango is culturally appropriating Mandalorianism to advance his mercenary career.

But aside from that, the word "Mandalorian" is never said in the movies, so most movie goers don't think that he's a Mandalorian.

reVerse on
  • Options

I mean, yeah, the idea is that Jango is culturally appropriating Mandalorianism to advance his mercenary career.

But aside from that, the word "Mandalorian" is never said in the movies, so most movie goers don't think that he's a Mandalorian.

Granted, they don't say the world Mandalorian. But then why do you assume he is appropriating Mandalorain culture, rather than think he is a Mandalorian in the first place?

• Options
    edited February 2020

Granted, they don't say the world Mandalorian. But then why do you assume he is appropriating Mandalorain culture, rather than think he is a Mandalorian in the first place?

In Attack of the Clones, there's no reason to think he's anything other than a mercenary of some kind. If you're familiar with EU material, you might even know that the armor he wears is, or resembles, Mandalorian battle armor, same as Boba Fett's (who was originally never called a Mandalorian, just that his armor is).

It's only in further EU material that he (and Boba Fett) are made out to be Mandalorians. The movie makes no claim about that.

Then the Clone Wars gives reason to doubt if he is supposed to be a Mandalorian when Obi-Wan asks the Mando politician about it. That guy could've just said "come on now, master Kenobi, you're not going to try to paint us all as villains just because of one guy", but he didn't, he specifically makes the claim that Jango Fett is just some thug who stole Mandalorian armor*. And since the Clone Wars is official canon, even back then because Lucas was directly involved in it, it's canonicity overrules whatever any of the novels said.

* Not even very good armor, mind. The Fett armor is made out of Durasteel instead of Beskar. Jango probably ganked some teenager with their training wheels armor and stole that.

reVerse on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular

Occam's razor

• Options
    Ahsoka isn't a Jedi. She specifically rejects them.

Which is excellent because the Jedi suck.

• Options

In Attack of the Clones, there's no reason to think he's anything other than a mercenary of some kind. If you're familiar with EU material, you might even know that the armor he wears is, or resembles, Mandalorian battle armor, same as Boba Fett's (who was originally never called a Mandalorian, just that his armor is).

It's only in further EU material that he (and Boba Fett) are made out to be Mandalorians. The movie makes no claim about that.

Then the Clone Wars gives reason to doubt if he is supposed to be a Mandalorian when Obi-Wan asks the Mando politician about it. That guy could've just said "come on now, master Kenobi, you're not going to try to paint us all as villains just because of one guy", but he didn't, he specifically makes the claim that Jango Fett is just some thug who stole Mandalorian armor*. And since the Clone Wars is official canon, even back then because Lucas was directly involved in it, it's canonicity overrules whatever any of the novels said.

* Not even very good armor, mind. The Fett armor is made out of Durasteel instead of Beskar. Jango probably ganked some teenager with their training wheels armor and stole that.

Where does it say that in the movies?

• Options

It doesn't. If you were to read my post, you'd notice that I reference the EU several times. Also, that was an addendum to a thing I talked about in regards to the Clone Wars, a tv show.

• Options
    edited February 2020

It doesn't. If you were to read my post, you'd notice that I reference the EU several times. Also, that was an addendum to a thing I talked about in regards to the Clone Wars, a tv show.

Yes, I did read it. But you have been previously discounting EU information in your position that Jango was not a Mandalorian, yes? How can you then include EU information to pass judgement on Jango's armor? I don't recall anything in Clone Wars about it either.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    If Jango isn't a Mandalorian, he certainly fights like one anyway. The guy wrecks Jedi in Ep. 2, even getting the better of Obi Wan in hand-to-hand combat. Obi Wan at this point in the trilogy, narratively, is basically the Jedi knight.

If Jango is just some thug, that speaks very poorly to the capabilities of Jedi warriors.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    edited February 2020

Yes, I did read it. But you have been previously discounting EU information in your position that Jango was not a Mandalorian, yes? How can you then include EU information to pass judgement on Jango's armor? I don't recall anything in Clone Wars about it either.

I have not been discounting EU information, my first post on the topic today was about Karen Traviss, an EU author. My objections are to specific claims of "the prequels present Jango as a Mando" (they don't) and that movie goers back in 2002 looked at Jango Fett and thought he's a Mandalorian (which, since "Mandalorians" don't exist in the movies, I find unlikely, except in specific cases where the movie goer is also familiar with EU material).

edit; And yes, no one mentioned the year 2002 specifically, I'm mentioning it because if someone were to watch Attack of the Clones or Empire Strikes Back for the first time right now, they probably would think the Fetts are Mandalorians because the very popular television show Baby Yoda and the Mandalorian exists.

reVerse on
  • Options
    If Jango isn't a Mandalorian, he certainly fights like one anyway. The guy wrecks Jedi in Ep. 2, even getting the better of Obi Wan in hand-to-hand combat. Obi Wan at this point in the trilogy, narratively, is basically the Jedi knight.

If Jango is just some thug, that speaks very poorly to the capabilities of Jedi warriors.

I don't think there's a requirement for talented fighters to be Mandalorians.

The simplest reason is Lucas can't put together a coherent story line.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Quid wrote: »

I don't think there's a requirement for talented fighters to be Mandalorians.

The simplest reason is Lucas can't put together a coherent story line.

I mean it's an occam's razor thing. I don't disagree with the fact that the PT has storytelling problems, but it's kind of separate from this, since the Mandalorian culture and the Fett family's place in or out of it is not in the movie at all. This is entirely an issue invented by TV shows and the EU.

Edit: Like @reVerse mentions above, if I was new to Star Wars, watched The Mandalorian because it's popular and good, and then was curious and started exploring the movies and everything, and was like "Mandalorians are cool, Boba Fett and Jango are awesome"

and then some Star Wars nerd was like "um actually they're not Mandalorians they just look and act like Mandalorians, listen to this character from this other TV show"

I'd be like "...Why? Why write characters like this?"

and it seems like the answer would be shrruuuuuggg

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    The thing with Mandalorians is that it's a philosophy. Anybody can be one if they live by their philosophical tenets. Being a mercenary or bounty hunter doesn't disqualify you, because the inherent violence of the craft is what is important.

• Options
    edited February 2020

I have not been discounting EU information, my first post on the topic today was about Karen Traviss, an EU author. My objections are to specific claims of "the prequels present Jango as a Mando" (they don't) and that movie goers back in 2002 looked at Jango Fett and thought he's a Mandalorian (which, since "Mandalorians" don't exist in the movies, I find unlikely, except in specific cases where the movie goer is also familiar with EU material).

edit; And yes, no one mentioned the year 2002 specifically, I'm mentioning it because if someone were to watch Attack of the Clones or Empire Strikes Back for the first time right now, they probably would think the Fetts are Mandalorians because the very popular television show Baby Yoda and the Mandalorian exists.

And my view is that they present Jango as a Mandalorian in everything but name. His look. His equipment. His fighting techniques. His questionable morals. His desire to pass on what he knows to a young one. All signs point to Mandalorian in everything but the use of the word Mandalorian in the movie itself.

The reason there even is a show about Baby Yoda and his pet Mandalorian, is precisely because of previously established characters like Boba Fett and Jango Fett. You can't have one without the other.

Given all that, I choose to believe Jango is a Mandalorian.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KamarKamar Registered User regular
    It seems likely Jango has some sort of connection to Mandalorians, at minimum.

Expelled for ~reasons~ is plausible. Cynical imitation or genuine admiration as an outsider could work.

But nothing canon about Boba or Jango actually makes it that weird for them to not be Mandalorians, either. I mean, like literally the first time we hear the word Mandalorian in something Lucas touched it lays out that Jango isn't one of them.

If we toss everything but films, there's no such thing as Mandalorians, hell it could be a brand or design name for that kind of armor. Add in TCW (because Lucas was involved/it's the only other thing to survive into canon) and we're 1. Told Mandalorians exist 2. Told Jango isn't one, despite the similarities.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    I find enjoyment in comparing the Fetts as Mandophiles with a teen weeaboo dressing up in black and running around with a sword purchased from a pawn shop.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Kamar wrote: »

Expelled for ~reasons~ is plausible. Cynical imitation or genuine admiration as an outsider could work.

But nothing canon about Boba or Jango actually makes it that weird for them to not be Mandalorians, either. I mean, like literally the first time we hear the word Mandalorian in something Lucas touched it lays out that Jango isn't one of them.

If we toss everything but films, there's no such thing as Mandalorians, hell it could be a brand or design name for that kind of armor. Add in TCW (because Lucas was involved/it's the only other thing to survive into canon) and we're 1. Told Mandalorians exist 2. Told Jango isn't one, despite the similarities.

I don't think that is to be taken as seriously as it has been in terms of world building. I hold that it instead is in-character "fake news". The government of the day trying to distance themselves from facts they don't find conducive to the image they want to portray about Mandalore.

Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I like boba not being a real mando, it makes the world feel bigger. Like in The Mandalorian mando hunts bounties for the guild, but we see decisively that he doesn't actually identify as a bounty hunter. And all the other mandos agree with that and back him up, even though he's technically double crossing the guild.

Boba has the weapons and armor, but he works for jabba the hutt as part of the criminal underworld. He doesn't seem to have any other loyalties or any other creed. He's still a badass, but he's not a Mandalorian.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

I don't think that is to be taken as seriously as it has been in terms of world building. I hold that it instead is in-character "fake news". The government of the day trying to distance themselves from facts they don't find conducive to the image they want to portray about Mandalore.

The primary point is if you only know about the films, or you only treat the films as canon, then Mandalorians don't exist at all. Period. There's no such thing as a Mandalorian.

If you take the shows as canon, then it's ambiguous whether or not Jango/Boba are Mandalorians because the only time either of them are referenced as being Mandalorian, they are explicitly denounced as such. Whether or not you think that's true is entirely dependent upon how much you trust the character making that statement.

If you take the EU as canon, then apparently they're super awesome badass Mandalorians.

Trying to argue that they are unequivocally Mandalorian is like arguing about whether or not the cat is dead in the box. You don't know until you open the box. And, with respect to the film canon and the post-Disney TV canon, nobody has opened the goddamn box yet. Having an opinion about it is fine and dandy, but nobody actually knows because it hasn't clearly been observed on the canonical screen.

• Options

The primary point is if you only know about the films, or you only treat the films as canon, then Mandalorians don't exist at all. Period. There's no such thing as a Mandalorian.

If you take the shows as canon, then it's ambiguous whether or not Jango/Boba are Mandalorians because the only time either of them are referenced as being Mandalorian, they are explicitly denounced as such. Whether or not you think that's true is entirely dependent upon how much you trust the character making that statement.

If you take the EU as canon, then apparently they're super awesome badass Mandalorians.

Trying to argue that they are unequivocally Mandalorian is like arguing about whether or not the cat is dead in the box. You don't know until you open the box. And, with respect to the film canon and the post-Disney TV canon, nobody has opened the goddamn box yet. Having an opinion about it is fine and dandy, but nobody actually knows because it hasn't clearly been observed on the canonical screen.

I've been pretty clear that I'm just expressing my opinion, I think.

I've been taking only the Disney canon into account. Yes, I'm familiar with Traviss' work (and appreciate her take on the clones, in particular, if not the super-ness of Boba Fett. Republic Commando was great.) but that's not part of my stance.

We have the undeniable coolness of Boba and his schtick, named as a Manadlorian or not, in the OT. Plus the introduction of Jango as his father in the PT as the originator of his schtick, again named as a Mando or not, building on that imagery. Then we have two cartoon series spanning 20ish years between them with various story arcs show a whole culture with the very same schtick, this time specifically named as Mandalorians. And now we currently have an IRL cultural phenomenon all about Mandaloreans with the very same shtick as Boba Fett.

There is a direct through line there that I do not believe is invalidated by one line given by an obviously biased politician in one episode who denies the existence of the Mando warrior culture that the very same episode shows us to be quite untrue.

• Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    I told y'all to stop with whether they are Mandos or not (after partaking of some myself) and instead pray at the altar of Baby Yoda.

• Options
    LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    I told y'all to stop with whether they are Mandos or not (after partaking of some myself) and instead pray at the altar of Baby Yoda.

I can get behind this

n605srvttqad.jpeg

• Options
    Baby Yoda ready for murder

Next up: Baby Yoda drag racing

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    Karoz wrote: »
    Baby Yoda ready for murder

Next up: Baby Yoda pod racing

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Pod racing, this is.

• Options
  • Options
    DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Apostate wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I don't know if the conversation has been had here... but if Baby Yoda speaks at any point next season (or later) does he speak like Yoda? Or does he speak normally? I'm just not sure which way I'd go if it were up to me, though I lean toward the latter.

He should speak normally, if anything he'd talk like the mando very sparsely. Speech patterns are very much a nurture not some kind biological thing.
    My understanding about Yoda's speech pattern was that it represented an older more formal kind of speech. Yoda was 100s of years old and so spoke in a way that had essentially died out for everyone else.

I think that's actually canon. Yoda is like 900, Basic grammar just moved on without him.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    This is supported by the one episode with the 1000-year-old droid who teaches younglings to make lightsabers, and his grammar is similar to Yoda's.

• Options
    I'd never thought of it before, and I doubt Lucas did either, but that makes a lot of sense considering how much language can change in just a hundred years.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    If I can learn to say fleek Yoda can learn to talk straight.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    If I can learn to say fleek Yoda can learn to talk straight.
    lmao :lol: shit's fire yo. Can you imagine Yoda talking that way to Dooku or Sidious? "Yeet you into this system's nearest star, I will."

Maybe he's old and refuses to change.

• Options
    Eh, I've learned what "fleek" means from context, but I'd never really use it myself. Just like nobody uses groovy anymore.

• Options
    NinjeffNinjeff Registered User regular
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Eh, I've learned what "fleek" means from context, but I'd never really use it myself. Just like nobody uses groovy anymore.

I.....

I use groovy all the time.

This discussion has been closed.