As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [NHL] Thread - On Dadanov’s No-Trade List

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    signing bonuses count against the cap of the team who holds the contract, but are paid by whoever has the contract the day the bonus is due.

so if Player A has a contract that has a cap hit of 100, but 25 of that is a signing bonus paid on July 1, whoever holds that contract on July 1, I'll call them Team X, pays that money. Then lets say that Team X then trades Player A to Team Y on July 2, Team Y will assume the full cap hit of 100, but only have to pay him 75, because 25 will already have been paid to him by Team X.

EDIT: It does work a bit differently if the bonus is paid out during the season, but that's super rare. Most signing bonuses are paid during the offseason. If there is a performance bonus that a player hits during the season, whatever the cap hit of that bonus is stays with the team in which he earned that bonus. That's no different than the regular cap hit. A player with a cap hit of 100 traded exactly halfway through the season has already accrued 50% of his cap hit to Team X, so that remains on Team X's cap, and the remaining 50% goes to team Y's cap.

The cap gets very confusing because it's literally calculated day by day. so if you're under the cap for most of the season, you can actually go "over" the cap near the end because you've banked space.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Deadspin hockey blawging is back (temporarily) with a plea for the Battle of Alberta in the playoffs.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm taking a group of 18(!) people to a silvertips hockey game tonight. Largest group of co-workers yet, I think this is the 5th time I've done one of these games.

Hockey in Seattle getting more popular by the day!

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    I'm taking a group of 18(!) people to a silvertips hockey game tonight. Largest group of co-workers yet, I think this is the 5th time I've done one of these games.

Hockey in Seattle getting more popular by the day!

We tried to do a Thunderbirds game a week or two ago, but tickets were a little pricey, and everyone ran into issues. But we'll probably try again.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    The silvertips have group tickets on Fridays for as low as $22 and come with a free drink voucher for a beer/wine/whatever.

No one wants to go south to see the actual Seattle team, hah

• Options
    NHL.tv black history month commercials are....ouch

I've seen two different ones so far, each featuring three players. 5 white guys so far.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    lol, the Leafs had a 4 on 3 power play with 1:20 left in OT, so they sent out out Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander

and scored 14 seconds later

• Options
    finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    That's just about $40.5MM of contracts out there. Ottawa's entire team comes to $75MM in comparison.

Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    holy shit this Oilers/Flames game

their last match was a close one, which kept things from getting to crazy to avoid blowing the points

this one is 6-3 at the end* of the second, and just erupted into a full line brawl, complete with goalie fight

*= they actually ended the second period with 24s left on the clock, to give the officials time to figure out who to penalize/eject, so the 3rd will be 20:24

• Options
    update: both goalies have been ejected, which means Calgary has to go back to David Rittich, who had been pulled after giving up 4 goals on 12 shots, and Mikko Koskinen is coming in cold for Edmonton

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    This game is a lot.

• Options
    Man I wish I could watch these games.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

• Options
    and now a penalty shot

this game has everything

• Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    You only need to watch this one really. It is the most hockey you will ever need.

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    The Battle of Alberta is back!

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Cristoval wrote: »
    You only need to watch this one really. It is the most hockey you will ever need.

Just got to find somewhere to stream it.

• Options
    Meanwhile, in the Tampa-San Jose game... :bigfrown:

• Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    He'll feel that in his teeth in the morning.

• Options
    They hockey world really, really, really needs 7 games of Edmonton and Calgary in either April or May.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    Meanwhile, in the Tampa-San Jose game... :bigfrown:

There are limits to what polycarbonate can do.

• Options
    shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    It's frustrating with the center ice package that I often have to watch the other team's broadcast in order to get HD, but it's also sort of fun to see east coast announcers who don't see a lot of Pacific games reacting to Pettersson and Hughes.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • Options
    Cristoval wrote: »

Here's video of the fight:

https://youtu.be/nmmVD_YrK-Y

It went full yard sale.

• Options
    I'll try to dig up the tweet later. Over the weekend, the Islanders had an entire section of people dressed as, and cheering for, the refs. Apparently they went nuts on every Icing and Offsides call. Not sure if they chanted the names of the refs or anything.

• Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Yes they do that every year, they're kind of obnoxious tbh

• Options
    Look. We've had goalie fights. How do we instigate a ref fight?

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Attended the Canada vs USA rivalry series game tonight and it was great hockey.
    Canada won 3-2 in overtime.
    I have to say though that it's incredibly obvious these ladies want to be throwing some checks but the rules of their game is literally holding them back. There should be a trial, at least for USA/Canada where this is allowed.
    It was pretty weird to see penalties called for normal hockey play and it wasn't even consistent from the refs as later in the game the whistles went away and physical play came back.

Bonus game fun was my son and I got to do a little race on ice for a prize during second intermission and we won :)

• Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    Aridhol wrote: »
    I have to say though that it's incredibly obvious these ladies want to be throwing some checks but the rules of their game is literally holding them back. There should be a trial, at least for USA/Canada where this is allowed.
    It was pretty weird to see penalties called for normal hockey play and it wasn't even consistent from the refs as later in the game the whistles went away and physical play came back.

Bonus game fun was my son and I got to do a little race on ice for a prize during second intermission and we won :)

It would really be weird for the rules to be different for two teams when they play compared to everyone else. I think that the world is catching up slowly to Canada and the US, but introducing checking would probably widen the gap again a bit. Although the goal should be to eventually get the rule books aligned.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    quovadis13 wrote: »
    Aridhol wrote: »

It would really be weird for the rules to be different for two teams when they play compared to everyone else. I think that the world is catching up slowly to Canada and the US, but introducing checking would probably widen the gap again a bit. Although the goal should be to eventually get the rule books aligned.

I don't think they should amend IIHF rules just for them but shit like the rivalry series where it's literally just Canada USA they should.

Show it can be done and they're not delicate glass figures that are gonna get broken.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    Liking this bolts game so far.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Penguins defenseman John Marino, acquired from Edmonton for a 6th round pick and top ten in rookie scoring, appearently has a broken cheek bone requiring surgery after taking a puck to the face against the lightning last night.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Oh damnit. Marino was looking really great, too.

Also, Leafs (finally?) got themselves a serviceable backup goalie.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Penguins got their obligatory pre-trade deadline trade completed.

Our #1 or #2 prospect (Samuel poulin allegedly became untouchable prospect in the last few weeks) and our top pick and a player that wasn't fitting for Zucker. Big price, for sure, but pens are "win now" until Crosby or Malkin retires so it's probably a smart move

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    That 2020 first is going to hurt. This is a stacked draft year.

• Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    well we will just have to see how the Oilers can manage without their second line center for a couple weeks.

• Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    well we will just have to see how the Oilers can manage without their second line center for a couple weeks.

Not sure if snarky reference to Connor McDavid, or literal reference to Leon Draisaitl.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Decius wrote: »
    wunderbar wrote: »

Not sure if snarky reference to Connor McDavid, or literal reference to Leon Draisaitl.

RNH-Draisaitil-Yamamoto have been among the best lines in the entire league the last few weeks. They are dynamite and Draisaitil is driving the bus and the two wingers compliment him very well. they've been the defacto first line the last little bit.

Connor McDavid is so good you can put him with a couple beer league players and he would still put up 90 points.

This discussion has been closed.