As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mods know too much about the [Conspiracy Theories] thread

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    l_g wrote: »
    What are the current best conspiracy theories about Facebook that I should share with people to get them off of Facebook

That its Facebook.

A giant Corporation that pilfers your personal data and sells it to advertisers and various unsavory characters to use against you. All the while being owned and run by a borderline sociopath creep named Mark Zuckerberg, who will do anything to increase his power over them.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    Facebook literally makes you feel depressed... but maybe instead of using the actual research data, blame it on lizard people with regenerative microwave bananas

Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    What are the current best conspiracy theories about Facebook that I should share with people to get them off of Facebook

That its stealing all your data and manipulating you?

• Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    They're making you depressed intentionally in order to harvest your depression. Because sad people buy things which they can then advertise to you

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This was in the wrong thread, sorry.

21stCentury on
  • Options
    Is it a conspiracy theory if it’s true?

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    They're making you depressed intentionally in order to harvest your depression. Because sad people buy things which they can then advertise to you

Their business incentive is literally to get you to click more and spend more time on their platform, regardless of whether it is good for your physical or mental health. And all evidence says it's not. And also the evidence says that the main ways to drive engagement are bad for both people and society.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    VishNub wrote: »
    Is it a conspiracy theory if it’s true?
    Yes. But those ones aren't that much fun to talk about.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I find it hilarious that it's been a conspiracy theory since the 90s that Crypto AG was a front for the CIA.
    Well, it wasn't a front for the CIA. It was a front for the CIA and BND.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    Facebook makes me feel happy because it’s full of puppies and babies. I guess the algorithm is faulty.

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Kipling217 wrote: »

That its Facebook.

A giant Corporation that pilfers your personal data and sells it to advertisers and various unsavory characters to use against you. All the while being owned and run by a borderline sociopath creep named Mark Zuckerberg, who will do anything to increase his power over them.

That’s okay, if you copy and paste / share this boiler plate sovcit disclaimer then you are protected from anything Facebook tries to do with your data.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I find it hilarious that it's been a conspiracy theory since the 90s that Crypto AG was a front for the CIA.
    Well, it wasn't a front for the CIA. It was a front for the CIA and BND.

That entire article from the Washington Post was fantastic and really gripping read. It reminded me how much I was into spy stories as a kid and shed new light on foreign relations issues from history. Definitely recommend giving it a read if you have the time and subscription to the Post.

• Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    As a German, I'm always kinda astonished when I read that our TLA does something impressive

And this is certainly impressive

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Facebook makes me feel happy because it’s full of puppies and babies. I guess the algorithm is faulty.

That's how I use reddit. I have a carefully curated selection of subs so that most of what I see is pets. Dogs and cats, puppies and kittens, parrots, cows frolicking in fields, and the occasional reptile.

Facebook I never even considered using because I don't care about the minutiae of other peoples day to day lives and (happily) expect others to do the same for me. That's just my personal preference, though. I get why lots of people want to share on a big communal website and I wish Facebook wasn't so shitty so they could have that.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Televangelist selling colloidal silver to cure Coronavirus for $300.

Off-the-shelf "dietary supplement" colloidal silver runs about $30 for that size package. Buying the same thing from a lab supply company will run about half of that.

Colloidal silver is a very weak antibiotic and does nothing at all to viruses. It's a great way to stain your skin Smurf blue.

• Options

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Televangelist selling colloidal silver to cure Coronavirus for $300.

I am intensely annoyed that that guy isn't at risk of winding up in prison over something like that.

• Options
    He's already gone to jail for... uh...

*web search*

Fraud

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    So, you may recall the flat earther who wanted to fly up in a rocket to prove the earth is indeed flat.

The launch did not go well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655
    A US daredevil pilot has been killed during an attempted launch of a homemade rocket in the Californian desert.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.

Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

• Options
    MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    The inevitable occurred.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    He's had at least two launches that put him in the hospital. That rocket was a death trap.

From his statements before the previous launches I don't think he was actually a flat earther. He's an amateur daredevil, and it's very hard to get major sponsors for a dangerous stunt even when you're a professional (he's been occasionally sponsored by a steak restaurant and a scrap yard, like for his world record jumping a limo over other limos). Every sponsor he talked to said the rocket couldn't do what he claimed and he was going to die. He tried to crowd fund it with space nerds, with the same results. Turns out that even though they'll crowd fund some crazy *sounding* stuff (like hijacking an abandoned but still operational NASA satellite) it's not crazy when people with actual knowhow are involved.

What he needed was a crowd funding source who didn't know anything about rockets, space, or gravity, but who THOUGHT they knew a lot about those things, and so after several tries he finally got enough money to get himself killed.

Hevach on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If he was really just running a grift on flat-earthers to fund his own Sisyphean goals, I actually have a bit of respect for the hustle.

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    He's had at least two launches that put him in the hospital. That rocket was a death trap.

From his statements before the previous launches I don't think he was actually a flat earther. He's an amateur daredevil, and it's very hard to get major sponsors for a dangerous stunt even when you're a professional (he's been occasionally sponsored by a steak restaurant and a scrap yard, like for his world record jumping a limo over other limos). Every sponsor he talked to said the rocket couldn't do what he claimed and he was going to die. He tried to crowd fund it with space nerds, with the same results. Turns out that even though they'll crowd fund some crazy *sounding* stuff (like hijacking an abandoned but still operational NASA satellite) it's not crazy when people with actual knowhow are involved.

What he needed was a crowd funding source who didn't know anything about rockets, space, or gravity, but who THOUGHT they knew a lot about those things, and so after several tries he finally got enough money to get himself killed.

And those funds may have come from the Discovery/Science Channel, since they were filming the launch for a new show called "Homemade Astronauts".

Veevee on
  • Options
    His first couple launches were from before that, I think his 2018 launch was filmed for the show but was almost as uneventful as one could expect from a steam rocket with the approximate accuracy of an XCom player unit.

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular

Well, he proved them right, didn't he. They laughed at Einstein, they laughed at the Wright brothers, but they also laughed at Bozo the Clown.

I mean, who would have thought that rocket science was hard?

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    101 wrote: »
    So, you may recall the flat earther who wanted to fly up in a rocket to prove the earth is indeed flat.

The launch did not go well

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51602655
    A US daredevil pilot has been killed during an attempted launch of a homemade rocket in the Californian desert.

"Mad" Mike Hughes, 64, crash-landed his steam-powered rocket shortly after take-off near Barstow on Saturday.

A video on social media shows a rocket being fired into the sky before plummeting to the ground nearby.

Hughes was well-known for his belief that the Earth was flat. He hoped to prove his theory by going to space.

I am assuming there's now a bunch of blogs about how "they" sabotaged the rocket to silence him.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    In his final moment on this Earth, he at least proved that gravity is more than just a 'theory' (as science deniers so often misunderstand the word).

He proved it. Head first into the ground.

• Options
    Actually, you'll find that "gravity isn't real" flat earthers believe that the Earth is constantly accelerating. No gravity needed.

• Options
    Or that there's a universal down which gravity acts towards - a common flat earth argument is why things don't fall off the sides or bottom of the ball.

• Options
    CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    Even if he did actually believe in flat earth, dying in a homemade rocket is very cool.

• Options
    nqxm1jvd3ibr.png

Checkmate, globists.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    Have these people never been at sea? Things approaching over the horizon is hard to miss.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    If I didn’t have a conscience I’d seriously consider grifting flat earthers into paying for “expeditions” to find the edge of the world and bring back proof. Sounds like a great way to crowd fund a vacation while maybe turning a profit. Surely beats killing yourself with a steam powered rocket.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    The true believer FErs just claim the edge is perfectly guarded by some impregnable malign force because reasons and thus there's no way of getting near it, no?

• Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    A lot of them believe in Pacmanning, that when you reach the edge you just pop over to the other side.

Basically equivalent to stating the earth is a flat object that behaves exactly like a sphere in every way due to bizzare spacetime warping effects.

• Options
    That's remarkably convenient even for conspiracy theorist rationalizations...

• Options
    [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    A lot of them believe in Pacmanning, that when you reach the edge you just pop over to the other side.

Basically equivalent to stating the earth is a flat object that behaves exactly like a sphere in every way due to bizzare spacetime warping effects.

Depending on how they phrase it, the "flat" Earth is then either a torus or a sphere edit: or a cylinder.

[Expletive deleted] on
    Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • Options
    TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    If I didn’t have a conscience I’d seriously consider grifting flat earthers into paying for “expeditions” to find the edge of the world and bring back proof. Sounds like a great way to crowd fund a vacation while maybe turning a profit. Surely beats killing yourself with a steam powered rocket.

Stretch goal needs to be for them to invite a flat earth expert along too, trip goes from the Sydney to Cape Town to Teirra del Fuego then to back to Sydney after a brief trip to the Antarctic. I'll meet you in LA before we start the trip together to Oz so I can set off from Dubai. Adds more than a few hours to my initial travels, but means I get to take one of the few trans-polar flights before we kick this whole thing off. Not to mention we can do some ancient Greek shadow measuring from sticks outside of London, near the Equator in Dubai and then in the Southern hemisphere.

Further stretch goals need to be for tree planting, as this will be a carbon heavy trip and I don't want to know what climate change is going to do to the ice dams on the edge of the world.

...I might start to even price this up, and look for some activities to do on the way to make the trip a little more entertaining. I do know a few people in TV production, might be the right time to make use of those contacts.

[edit]Wait, this thing writes itself. Episode 1 is on a Flat Earth cruise around the Caribbean to set the hypothesis and work out the ground rules. Episode 2 is then setting the premise of the expedition, and also talking to historians about how the ancients navigated by the stars and introduce us to the instruments that we'll use to verify our position during the trans-Atlantic and trans-Pacific cruises. Also how the ancient greeks measured the curvature of the Earth, with episode 2 ending with us arriving in Dubai to do the equatorial stick shadow measurements. Episode 3 is the team meeting up in LA and then setting off from Sydney to Cape Town. Episode 4 is then around Cape town and perhaps more travelogue-y. Episode 5 is the crossing to South America and a trip to Antartica. Episode 6 is then the return to Australia and the final calculations based off the measurements we've made.

Season 2 then looks to tackle the issues raised by flat earthers about Season 1 (perhaps doing Northern Hemisphere), and starts again on the Flat Earther Cruise at a showing of the highlights of Season 1.

Tastyfish on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I hope someone takes care of that guy's cats.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    I hope someone takes care of that guy's cats.

I volunteer as tribute.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
This discussion has been closed.