As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Apex Legends] Battle Royale from the makers of Titanfall. High OCTANE gameplay!

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    Mastiff remains the only gun I will absolutely drop anything in order to pick up. It is my very favorite gun.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Every ranked season I get to Plat and then pretty much stop playing ranked rather than trying to grind further

figure I'll put some more effort into it this season. Went hard and have already gotten back to Plat IV... and now the real grind begins

It's an immediate change on that rank up from Gold I to Plat IV, suddenly 80% of the dive trails are former diamonds/preds. Progress has... slowed

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I'm not sure I can make it to Platinum. I just made it to Gold 3 but the games are already pretty tough.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I'm not sure I can make it to Platinum. I just made it to Gold 3 but the games are already pretty tough.

If you've gotten to Gold 3 already then you can totally make it. Some amount of the monster players will filter upwards as they regain their higher rank (I'm counting on this to get some of these former preds out of my games...). The penalty's enough that a losing streak can really hurt, but you'll still generally make progress with modest kills/placement.

Always feels like a huge jump past that though

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    There's still quite a bit off shake out. Most of gold is plats with a few diamonds, only a few actual gold skill players per game.

We're only a week in.

That said, I do feel standard of play is increasing. People know the map better, spread more, third party more, camp more.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Yeah, I've gotten to plat fairly easily. if you win at all you'll get there. Play is a whole other story though, you basically have to top five with kills every time.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yeah, I never really got off the floor of plat. The skill seems way higher and the cost per game just meant a few bad games in a row resets a decent win.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    This is a very typical example of what happens late at night, when you stop communicating, forget how things work, damn near kill yourself multiple times, and then stumble your way to victory (because apparently your whole squad had Gold Knockdowns):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJFNfUA_AtA

Shout out to Sackjuice, who had been on the winning squad that defeated us in the previous match and then seemingly tried their damndest to lead us back to Mirage Voyage at every opportunity for no apparent reason.

• Options
    So we got the Duos mode back. It feels more chaotic than normal threes because there are so many damn teams. 30 teams of 2 means lots of 3rd, 4th, 5th... Parties all the time.

Going back to Ranked was almost a relief

• Options
    Yeah. I play with a buddy so duos is made for us but I just don't enjoy it.

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Alternate less exciting view of @metaghost video. You can practically hear my level of indecision about re-uping my shields while hiding because I thought they might come for me in the animation.

Also- I felt better once I looked at the video and realized that it was a Peacekeeper twice to the head that dropped me from full so quick. I thought I had forgot to heal or something before that.

https://youtu.be/cDxXdeG87B8"]https://youtu.be/cDxXdeG87B8

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Late to the party, but I finally had a 2000+ damage match!
    xgQ1JkIh.png

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Had what I think may be my first back-to-back wins (although I haven't played since S1)...and all as my main man Caustic!
    Felt good, and the finish on the second game was me trailing behind my team for the final fight down below the tracks at Sorting. Both teams were making a line for the care package on a hillside and my two teammates got there first. They all start trading shots a bit, I lob my ult over the edge of the tracks without even seeing the enemy team (just their shots), and I manage to land it smack in the middle of them behind their cover. I peek out and lay out Lifeline, Wraith comes up the hill to the tracks and I down her, then we all circle in and finish off the Crypto for the win.
    jy1tzftidvek.pngi6hhl25mbawe.png
    Next stop: BP level 30 and the Caustic dive emote!

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    Won a match with my boy @Khraul in which I was extremely confused and often on-edge due to our third kicking down every door they came across:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmKUu4Mc7LU&t=36s

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Pizza pizza fucking hates doors

Also my first win. Yay us!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Jumped on for one more round before work... made it down to two squads left with a couple of rando's that were absolute savages on my team.

Second to last ring had a mountain smack dab in the middle with our two remaining squads trapped on different sides... the final round picked their team to win :lol:

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Khraul wrote: »
    Jumped on for one more round before work... made it down to two squads left with a couple of rando's that were absolute savages on my team.

Second to last ring had a mountain smack dab in the middle with our two remaining squads trapped on different sides... the final round picked their team to win :lol:

This is why Pathfinder is God tier

• Options
    squall99xsquall99x Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    A game or two before @metaghost and @Khraul won their game we were partied up and the game matchmaking shit the bed on us and it ended up with me in a game with randoms by myself...that we then proceeded to win. Clip wasn't long enough to get my first couple Havok kills on drop. But it does have one of those absolutely classic Apex anticlimactic endings.

https://youtu.be/mKHaeqDXg4c

squall99x on
    oHqYBTXm.jpg
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    "PLay 12 games" is probably my least favorite Daily ever. I've been glad that I've had a good number of short games so far tonight.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    This game doesn't have cross-save of any kind does it?

If no PS4 peeps are around I can't just swap over to Xbones, can I?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    No cross-save or anything, separate unlocks/progression/etc per console. Bit of a bummer.

FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    We had a lot of bad games tonight, a couple 2nd place finishes, and finally with @Arteen and @Zombie Gandhi we snagged a first place at the end of the night... And it was a game where no one died or went down.

1bvubbjftsrk.png

The circle ended on the Research Center near the Epicenter. We zoomed over there using the redeploy by the city and looted the buildings. Around then Arteen noticed a care package up by the train tracks so we grabbed it. As we make our way back to the Research area, we notice all 4 of the other teams converging there. We kinda hang back, I snipe a few guys hiding up high on the construction cranes. After a while we realize we need to push in, so I put up a zipline right as one team runs in and finishes the people we had been sniping.

All hell is breaking lose, I have to leave quickly because I realize I'm gonna get pinched, so I push out the doors and run to my zip. In the building, I trade my gold Sentinel for the Mastiff, and showed up just in time to contribute slightly after my team did all the hard work at the end. Glory kill is mine!

https://youtu.be/ALotXJr6gII

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    No cross-save or anything, separate unlocks/progression/etc per console. Bit of a bummer.

Boooooo

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    I don't understand the Mastiff at all. As seen in Jay's clip above, I find that I'm more often than not hitting my opponent for ~40 damage, if at all. Is it functionally similar to Chaperone and you're supposed to be trying to hit crits? Regardless, feels like you want Peacekeeper over it always.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    metaghost wrote: »
    I don't understand the Mastiff at all. As seen in Jay's clip above, I find that I'm more often than not hitting my opponent for ~40 damage, if at all. Is it functionally similar to Chaperone and you're supposed to be trying to hit crits? Regardless, feels like you want Peacekeeper over it always.

It absolutely shreds up close, and it's really tight spread at range. And the fire rate is super fast. I was using it outside it's ideal range for sure but if you aim center of mass within 10 ft you'll do a lot of damage.

In this clip, one I post last page, you can see around 40 second mark I dome the Wraith at like 10-15 ft with a headshot and it's 57 dmg at range. It's basically an Eva8 with good range and pellet spread. Up close it does 95 dmg, so a near two tap even from full shields

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    What I'm seeing is "always grab mastiff"

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Should note that aiming down the sights tightens up the mastiff spread. Can play around with it in the firing range to get a feel for it

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    I realized that I had turned off notifications on PS4 a while ago, since I just found a stack of invites from a few folks here. Sorry! I wasn't ignoring you, I just didn't see the invites. I have now turned notifications back on.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The Mastiff, like the Kraber, is capable of one-shotting through purple shields, as well.

• Options
    Tony, do you still exist? Come back and Bloodhount with us.

• Options
    Zombie GandhiZombie Gandhi Registered User regular
    The Mastiff is truth. The Mastiff is light. My ideal situation is Mastiff and Anvil 301, and with them I can kill god.

I am actually starting to run L-Star as an early game Shotgun, and it works pretty well. It is a good alternative until you get a modded R99.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I just started playing this for the first time last week. I really like how much quicker it is than pubg or fortnite.

Still figuring stuff out but I've already got a couple wins under my belt!

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't know if you guys have watched any of Zylbrad's videos but he and his friends make me laugh, every time. They're very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXS1KeopDnQ

• Options
    Thanks to @Beef Avenger suggesting that I practice in the Firing Range, which I didn't even know existed (as it wasn't around upon release), I think I'm getting the hang of the Kraber (but not the Mastiff). So here's a non-Ranked victory in which my team eventually found a couple Care Packages and I proceeded to delight in Krabering our final opponents into oblivion. Note: I chose the most loathsome wub-wub soundtrack available in the Share Factory, eardrums beware.

https://youtu.be/EW3NyUceDKU

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Man I had such a rough 3 days in Apex. No wins on Sat/Sun, so many bad teammates. Solo droppers, people that do not respond to me both mic'ing and pinging "I need ammo" and just run into the next fight while I literally have 9 bullets.

I even had a salty win, where we won through no skill of ourselves with a toxic teammate that gave no joy.

And then 2 games at the end of today really turned it around.
    The first one had a really protracted 3 way fight that literally used all my resources, all the way from the end of zone 1 to the end of zone 2. I ended the fight with 10hp, no shields, 9 heavy ammo, no light ammo, and 0 items in my inventory. I killed the final enemy with my gibraltar ult. A teammate quit before we could revive him. Didn't have time to loot, zone was coming. So it was me and a wraith vs 3 full squads, and we had nothing. We ran through 3 looted zones, nothing nothing nothing. I arrived with 34 bullets in a prowler, and 15 sniper shots, half health.
    Everyone fights on the edge of zone. We're about to get pushed, but another team pushes from behind and we get bailed. We snipe 1 person, I take his Kraber, I shoot it once and kill somebody. It's chaotic, but I'm pretty sure it was 2v2v1 at the moment. Then I look at the timer... the fight had taken so long that zone was about to come.
    We push through the one guy at the door, zoom for zone, and get 2 fast kills from zone messages.

And then I decided one more game for bed, and it's just a slaughter. Even though there were plenty of diamonds, and only 1 on our team was (not me...) 17 team kills, everyone in the 1500 damage range.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    I was on the cusp of getting to Platinum so I streamed the ascent, I didn't do great but 2nd place counts in my book

Here, have an hour of me complaining when bad people take Pathfinder

https://youtu.be/gtgFGfS9am4

• Options
    Man, Local H, I often wish I still played on Xbox.

That said, I have stalled out on plat each season. Cannot crawl my way beyond plat ever.

• Options
    I'm a fan of Jay pinging every Survey Beacon, and I say that sincerely; I don't know if it's a consequence of how mid-tier players poorly emulate the behaviors of much better players, or that the process of completing Pass challenges means you'll encounter many Pathfinders unfamiliar with Beacons, but I don't think I've ever had Pathfinder actually use one. Which isn't to say that having that info is always important, but it's often "free", and more information is always better than less.

• Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I rarely play Pathfinder, but I'm all about those survey beacons, but I feel like I have almost NEVER had anyone else on my team use them if they are Pathfinder. Super frustrating.
    Especially because I am my own worst enemy with those boundary walls and get myself into a pickle with them WAY too often.

vamen on
  • Options
    Believe me, it's truly frustrating when someone takes your character and has no clue how to use them/dies instantly upon dropping. And then I'm stuck on my second or third choice and down a teammate, trying desperately to just get 2nd or 3rd.