As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

There is no such thing as a moral or immoral [book] thread

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Hmm good good. I bought The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet because the cover reminded me of Douglas Adams so I'll read that first.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    If you want Douglas Adams check out Space Opera by Cat Valente

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    still plugging away at Shadow and Claw. Finished chapter 15, "Baldanders"
    Given the myth of Talos and the description of Baldanders - strange scars on the neck, huge size - my immediate reaction is Frankenstein

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Hurrah! My Overdrive hold on Agency came in!

I'm about an hour in, and it's good so far. It's set in a new stub, which means we have some returning post-Jackpot characters from The Peripheral but all new stub characters.

And in case you were wondering, the President Clinton stuff is light set-dressing so far. A couple of nice touches without wallowing in it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Oh, I absolutely found it comforting in a way - a reminder that really we don't matter so much, and that the terrible things humanity has done will eventually decay and be lost while the universe continues.

“ There, peeping among the cloud-wrack above a dark tor high up in the mountains, Sam saw a white star twinkle for a while. The beauty of it smote his heart, as he looked up out of the forsaken land, and hope returned to him. For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach.”

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So I finished Oathbreaker, and fuck was it good. I am glad to be done with those books for right now, it took me about a month to get through them. I just started Gideon the 9th and after like 3 hours it was like "Your 15% done!". SO FAST.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Hey, Gibson. Real cool to make a book cover that looks like a connection error, knowing that some folks are going to be starting and stopping your audiobook on their phones multiple times per day.

Dick.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Hey, Gibson. Real cool to make a book cover that looks like a connection error, knowing that some folks are going to be starting and stopping your audiobook on their phones multiple times per day.

Dick.

I love it.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Imagine a book cover that's got just this little image of a single tiny hair somewhere off to the side

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    Imagine a book cover that's got just this little image of a single tiny hair somewhere off to the side

Easy there, Satan.

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Finished up Agency. I've read new books from William Gibson and Neal Stephenson in the past year, and it's pretty wild how they've diverged since their early period.

Fall was definitely a late Neal Stephenson book. In that it had some very memorable phrases and interesting ideas waving and drowning in the middle of an over-stuffed, overindulgent narrative. Not only does Stephenson need an editor, he needs an editor who doesn't like him very much.

Agency is as tight a narrative as Gibson has ever written. It's still packed with extremely Gibsonian ideas about technology and society, but it's also just a really good thriller that gets the job done in half as many pages as Fall. Going back and reading Zodiac and Neuromancer, I'm not sure I'd have put money on which of those two authors would end up writing which book 35 years(!?) later. But the truth is that William Gibson has made himself into a person who is as cool and smart as Neal Stephenson's characters think they are.

It's so frustrating. Fall takes place in a world where you either hire companies to filter and curate your social media feeds to keep you within shouting distance of the real world, or you succumb to algorithm-driven content that tailors itself to your dopamine response until you're taking in a stream of what sounds like pure nonsense to anyone outside your algorithm group. Large swathes of rural America are controlled by extremist libertarian militias whose worldview is entirely divorced from reality based on algorithms maximizing outrage to maximize engagement. Like, not just bad ideas, but a stream of words and images that don't seem to add up to any actual coherent narrative. That's smart and scary and feels very possible right now. And it exists for fifty pages of a 900 page book before being completely ignored in favor of incomprehensible digital creation myths.

Is it legal to start a Kickstarter that just pays an author to rip off another author's underutilized but brilliant idea?

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I wonder if extracting like 10% of the paragraphs from REAMDE, Seveneves and Fall and sticking them together in a random order would manage to make something interesting, if a little disjointed.

... no actually nothing in SevenEves is worth saving.

• Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This was a million years back, but @Shorty you were right about the radicalizing effect of the Zinn book because I guess I’m reading Gramsci now.

Tam on
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    Finished up Agency. I've read new books from William Gibson and Neal Stephenson in the past year, and it's pretty wild how they've diverged since their early period.

Fall was definitely a late Neal Stephenson book. In that it had some very memorable phrases and interesting ideas waving and drowning in the middle of an over-stuffed, overindulgent narrative. Not only does Stephenson need an editor, he needs an editor who doesn't like him very much.

Agency is as tight a narrative as Gibson has ever written. It's still packed with extremely Gibsonian ideas about technology and society, but it's also just a really good thriller that gets the job done in half as many pages as Fall. Going back and reading Zodiac and Neuromancer, I'm not sure I'd have put money on which of those two authors would end up writing which book 35 years(!?) later. But the truth is that William Gibson has made himself into a person who is as cool and smart as Neal Stephenson's characters think they are.

It's so frustrating. Fall takes place in a world where you either hire companies to filter and curate your social media feeds to keep you within shouting distance of the real world, or you succumb to algorithm-driven content that tailors itself to your dopamine response until you're taking in a stream of what sounds like pure nonsense to anyone outside your algorithm group. Large swathes of rural America are controlled by extremist libertarian militias whose worldview is entirely divorced from reality based on algorithms maximizing outrage to maximize engagement. Like, not just bad ideas, but a stream of words and images that don't seem to add up to any actual coherent narrative. That's smart and scary and feels very possible right now. And it exists for fifty pages of a 900 page book before being completely ignored in favor of incomprehensible digital creation myths.

Is it legal to start a Kickstarter that just pays an author to rip off another author's underutilized but brilliant idea?

I missed Gibson's reading when he came to Seattle a month or so ago and I'm really mad about it because he's getting up there in years and it might have been the last chance I'll have

• Options
    Speaking of Agency, I've been waiting on it for like 18 months now and of course it finally comes out when I'm far from my usual book haunts. But I tracked it down locally today and am excited to tear in.

• Options
    KandenKanden Registered User regular
    Stormlight 4 got a title. Rhythm of War

• Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I'm reading Deliverance, because one of my archery senpai crushes was reading it

I think it's bad, maybe, archery action or not

This is a neat article about Jules Verne
    http://www.openculture.com/2020/02/jules-vernes-voyages-extraordinaires.html

I read and absorbed several of their books when I was a child

• Options
    edited February 2020
    I am like 80% sure Bruce Pascoe is sitting two rows from me on this flight to Melbourne. I have my copy of dark emu with me

Do I
    - behave like a giant nerd and ask him to sign the book
    - leave the poor man alone he's dealt with enough these last few years
    - try for the first one but then find out it's not actually him and embarrass the hell out of both of us

Edit: it's definitely him though. Like, 90% sure now. Maybe 93%

tynic on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    The third, but insist he is who you thought he was when he denies it

• Options
    edited February 2020
    What if I just read his book but hold the cover up really high so everyone can see it and sneak glances at him every so often

Edit: oh there's an author photo on here. 99.9% sure now.

tynic on
  • Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Acceptable, but only if you catch his eye over the cover and wiggle your eyebrows knowingly

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Do it, coward.

• Options
    My sister just gave me the same advice. I feel weird bugging strangers though.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Just look him dead in the eyes and mouth "I KNOW WHO YOU ARE"

• Options
    Always a power move to pull on someone who regularly gets death threats.

• Options
    Yeah, nothing can go wrong, he's used to it at this point!

Really tho, I don't think I'd actually do anything in that situation. I'd probably just be like "Oh yeah one day I saw the guy that wrote the book I was reading on the same plane as me. Weird, right?" and that'd be that. But I'm a socially awkward dork, so.

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    To reassure him you should, maintaining eye contact, whisper

"THIS IS NOT A THREAT"

• Options
    SIR ARE YOU FEELING THREATENED

very reassuring thing to yell

• Options
    I PROMISE I AM NOT GOING TO KILL YOU, IT'S COOL

• Options
    Some lady just went up to him, she is a braver soul than I. Or has something genuinely interesting and relevant to say instead of "um I like your book"

• Options
    edited February 2020
    Update: I asked and received, but he thought I was English!
    This is the worst day of my life.

s7ykneoo2pxm.jpg

tynic on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    I would be far too terrified of asking a person who may or may not be someone I know of for anything like an autograph. Or just...interacting with people I don't know in general outside of work with its "established" roles and boundaries.

So good on you.

• Options
    Job well done, Tynic!

• Options
    edited February 2020
    This has been an emotional rollercoaster for us all. God bless the dark cyberpunk year 2020 that made it possible.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    I think it’s also important to note, on this historic day, that the guy right next to me on the plane was reading a cultural analysis of the anus.

• Options
    knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    What are these flights you’re taking full of academics

The most challenging book I’ve ever seen on a flight was The Da Vinci Code

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
  • Options
    Canberra and Cambridge are hotbeds of intellectual pretension and I often fly in and out of both
    But I once got Roko’s Basilisk explained to me on a train to Penzance by a guy who makes robot hands (we were not traveling together).

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Canberra and Cambridge are hotbeds of intellectual pretension and I often fly in and out of both
    But I once got Roko’s Basilisk explained to me on a train to Penzance by a guy who makes robot hands (we were not traveling together).

Makes sense that a guy from Penzance makes replacement hands...

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Hmm good good. I bought The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet because the cover reminded me of Douglas Adams so I'll read that first.

I love all of Chambers' books so far. Incredibly low stakes in a universe where humans don't matter much at all that are absolutely wholesome.

The last one was literally just slice of life on a human space station. Individual stories from different people living there and how their paths crossed.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Quid wrote: »
    Juggernut wrote: »

I love all of Chambers' books so far. Incredibly low stakes in a universe where humans don't matter much at all that are absolutely wholesome.

The last one was literally just slice of life on a human space station. Individual stories from different people living there and how their paths crossed.

You apparently missed To Be Taught, If Fortunate. It isn't really connected at all to the other three but still interesting and in that style. A take on un-imperialist space exploration and how that might look.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
This discussion has been closed.