As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Painting Thread a retrospective

• Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    I have encountered someone with the best technical skill Ive ever seen paired with the most heinous color preferences ever witnessed by man.

Masterfully painted purple and yellow grey knights for days.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I have encountered someone with the best technical skill Ive ever seen paired with the most heinous color preferences ever witnessed by man.

Masterfully painted purple and yellow grey knights for days.

I like those colors because they remind me of The Maxx

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Had anyone tried to paint the game boards that come with AoS and KT terrain?

I'm curious if I could paint up the board to match the terrain.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I've never painted a thing. I fucked up a car for Gaslands today. It was a lot of fun! I've got a ton more cars, presumably the next one will be less orange ;)

pic5222693.jpg

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    That looks like actually the most dangerous gaslands car I've seen. That's quite the stabber! XD

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Shit man, that's more dangerous on the floor than a D4.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Not sure if anyone else was aware of this, but Kairos Fateweaver is covered in literally a million gold doodads

I was planning on finishing this thing today and basing tomorrow, but I think he's got me beat for today. Hopefully done tomorrow and I can figure out a nice Tzeentchy base.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Just make sure you use a back carrier so you don't have to explain paint or spatter drips on their head.
    Stragint wrote: »
    honovere wrote: »
    Looks great i think.
    Just some more shading in the recesses and some edge highlights and that is going to be some fantastic moody scenery.

Never judge a piece before adding some highlights, even if it is just a drybrush. I'm never happy with my projects until the final detailing pulls it all together.

I have no idea what color I'd use to highlight. Would I use one color over the whole thing or change it between the transitions?

Also, looking at it the flowers look a little clogged but I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

Edit: I looked at it in person, it isn't nearly as bad as I think it looks in the pictures.

The problem being, as always, that pictures show it about 10x bigger than you see it on the tabletop or just about any other real life circumstance. If I put the pic on my phone and look at it from arms length, it looks amazing. I'd say start with using a wash to darken the gaps between blocks, and see how that looks.

For the highlight, just do a light drybrush of a much lighter shade of that color. Just pick on brick edge and try it out. If you don't like it, just paint over it, or cover it with your next highlight test. That's the thing about painting - it's so easy to modify and correct as you go along.

So I should highlight in sections? Starting from the bottom I'd going purple, red, pink.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    That's how I'd do it, since those are quite different colors at the different levels. The highlight you would use on the dark purple would presumably be too dark and subdued on the brightest brick edges, with the inverse true as well. Whatever you want to try first, test it out on a few blocks and see how it looks. Then proceed if it's good, or try some other variation if it's not.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Figured out the banners but my stupid brush is now fucked and split

I take good care of mine (never let paint dry, use brush cleaner) and this died really fast - I have some old Windsor Newtons that are like 8 years old and still holding on. Frustrating because this new one is a Windsor Newton too

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Did you order it from Amazon or another online retailer? Every W&N brush I've bought through Amazon has been terrible - never holding a point, splitting almost immediately. Every one I've bought from a brick & mortar art supply store has been perfect.

There's a lot of claims that Amazon has counterfeits but I think it has more to do with environmental conditions when storing/transporting.

If you're not in a place where you can easily get to an art supply store, might I recommend Raphael 8404 brushes. I bought a few off Amazon a while back and they've been incredible.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    It came from a brick and mortar so not sure what the issue was. I can easily find another decent brush there so will do that.

Did you order it from Amazon or another online retailer? Every W&N brush I've bought through Amazon has been terrible - never holding a point, splitting almost immediately. Every one I've bought from a brick & mortar art supply store has been perfect.

There's a lot of claims that Amazon has counterfeits but I think it has more to do with environmental conditions when storing/transporting.

If you're not in a place where you can easily get to an art supply store, might I recommend Raphael 8404 brushes. I bought a few off Amazon a while back and they've been incredible.

Funny you say that... I grabbed some Raphael 8404's last year from a vendor on eBay that were complete trash. I wonder if you're right about shipping or storage.

I was super disappointed, cuz they looked like solid brushes

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    edited February 2020
    So if anyone else was curious, you can tint vallejo white pumice.

The results are lackluster at best.... this gob of white on the left had a thumbnail sized bit of a really nice purple pigment added and just kinda came out mauve.

03qfegc6yduh.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Oh hey, Gaslands. I finally got my new lightbox set up, so I could take some pics of my first car I finished a handful of weeks ago.

VMGz5Smh.jpg

2ImKbUYh.jpg

In other work, I finished a quick and dirty (6mm scale) Xenomorph force for my upcoming convention game:
    nTWw5Dph.jpg
    SmzfW4Vh.jpg
    COhsnxFh.jpg

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
    edited February 2020
    Well.... I started back into 40k about two years and I didn't really paint when I played in college. Since getting back into it I've thought of myself very much as a novice painter, but I think I might have bumped to journeyman with this model :lol:

I used literally every technique I know and type of paint I own, acrylic to contrast to glazes. Then I took a big leap and tried a resin base for the first time.... I'm pretty proud of this thing. (more pics and a crappy gif in the spoiler... I need a turntable, a bigger photobooth thing, and a tripod :P )

I even 3d printed some poisonous plants for the base.

:mrgreen: The gifts of Grandfathers garden are plentiful :mrgreen:

yflml4gwa31p.jpg
    z6yahs675n6t.jpg
    IVPeumr.gif
    jjq6cay9i9y1.jpg
    vqfv4cdu1s0o.jpg
    swfqdgbc6u2r.jpg
    36splftzu84x.jpg
    crohl6r0olv9.jpg

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • WatcherWatcher Registered User regular
    I painted those exact xenomorphs for a friend. Those are cool little models. He made a travel size Space Hulk.

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Well it's a new year (Shut up I know I've been over seas and then sickkkkkkk) so I figured I'd do a dump of Things Wot I have Done Painted in 2019.

Big Ol Photos Below:

Starting wiiiith:
    Tvm14AP.jpg
    House Targaryen Starter for A Song of Ice and Fire Miniatures game. This lot were the hardest I worked on something as I got a prerelease copy and wanted to get it finished before official release date (Which I did). Finished in 3 weeks and I got married in the middle of it which took out a whole weekend (but was really nice ;p)

jF5tcAo.jpg
    House Lannister Army for the ASoIaF Minis game again. Lannisters are my main army, but I've been really tardy about actually getting them painted. This is a Standard sized Army led by the High Sparrow.

bl8rNgd.jpg
    I've painted I lot of the Characters! I've just been really slack about finishing units ...

ajm24vP.jpg
    10 Plaguebearers and a Lord of Blights. I was getting back into AoS, but then got distracted by ASoIaF reallllly bad.

ApoQsaX.jpg
    Half a Blood Bowl Team! I was really into the idea of running a league with some friends, but then realised I was going to be away on Honeymoon in the only time we'd have to play.

39LAW49.jpg?2
    I also painted a single Orc before losing steam.

The other game I've played hard this year was Warhammer Underworlds and I got 9? Warbands Painted up this year

pPwsVsg.jpg
    Steelhearts Champions. The first and one of my Faves.

FfnXYE0.jpg
    Garreks Reavers. My favourite warband and the one I won Shadeglass with.

ECZnAwt.jpg
    Saek! The Man, the Myth, the Legend.

7Lin3pd.jpg
    The Farstriders. Loved painting them. Had a lot of fun with the fur. Don't love playing them

5aFdfWG.jpg
    The Cursebreakers. Pretty Cheesy, but dang nice models. I couldn't resist converting them a bit.

DC4lwCa.jpg
    Rastus is not having a good trip.

nZ589zk.jpg
    The Eyes of the Nine. Wanted to love them but they were a bit terrible. As a result their paint job suffered.

7BD8zWU.jpg
    The Thorns of the Briar Queen. Who doesn't love Spoopy Ghosts? Not me, they're great fun. Also super fun to paint!

CmShH8z.jpg
    Yltharis Guardians. Had fun painting Tree Elves, had fun playing Tree Elves. Had fun remembering how to paint Crystal Blades then doing that the night before a tournament rather than practicing.

cLhIOvA.jpg
    The Grymwatch, because Ghouls are much more disturbing when painted flesh coloured.

hKaI8HT.jpg
    And finally Skaeths Wild Hunt. kinda half arsed cos I wan't feeling them and was also falling out of love with the game a bit at this point.

e4ZwrGl.jpg?1
    Also right at the begining of the year I painted up a small force for Lord of the Rings! Aragorn and the Dead of Dunharrow. I've got more than this painted I just forgot to photograph them ..

I also HALF painted a lot of shit, which I'll save for a future post. This puts me at 169 models painted in the year and what I'm going to call 12 Separate Projects/forces, one for each month!

Most importantly I'm going to credit Underworlds with really re-igniting my passion for painting again. I'd been really 'meh' on painting for a long time, just picking at things here or there since my last 40k army, not finishing anything except some warlord stuff. Having a bunch of small model count forces which are completely different in terms of aesthetics was a great way to play around with different techniques and really rediscover my love of painting. Underworlds is a great game, but I'd highly recommend the warbands for anyone interested in doing little painting projects that provide some spice and challenge.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • JJ Rabbit GangmemberRegistered User regular
    I've bought so many underworlds bands for those exact reasons. At the price they come in at a good few "character" style minis of high quality in interesting poses never feels like I got ripped off.

Your ghouls are amazing!

• DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    I pretty much have to talk my self out of buying those warbands for the simple reason I am a buy and paint but never get around to playing type person. Lovely work as always man.

Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

Man, 169 models painted!!

I don't think I painted a fifth of that last year. Well done Asher. And they all look great!

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    I think that beats my accumulated total for the decade...

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think that beats my accumulated total for the decade...

I painted far more over last year than I did over the last 10

I buy the warbands that I want to play and the cards from the ones I don't to make custom decks {I really had to buy 4 other warbands to make a glass cannon eyes of nine deck}

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I remember having free time; I did one sister about a week ago. I've made progress with the rest of the squad, but it's finding the time to do things. Take today; woke up at 4:45am because my 3 year old had a bad dream, took about a hour to get her back to sleep. Spent about an hour trying to get in to work due to traffic, meaning I had to work a bit later, then did some extra hours to make a bit more money, had dinner at the in-laws, picked up my other daughter from brownies, read her a bed time story, hugged my wife until she fell asleep, came down and did the washing up.

It's 9:10pm and it's my first time sitting down to do nothing! Uff what a day.

Still I pre-ordered the Greater Good and Commander Farsight, because I hope to get a game in where I play some silly T'au army where I rush forward to unload loads of plasma shotgun death because playing a silly version of T'au greatly appeals!

PSN Fleety2009
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I remember having free time; I did one sister about a week ago. I've made progress with the rest of the squad, but it's finding the time to do things. Take today; woke up at 4:45am because my 3 year old had a bad dream, took about a hour to get her back to sleep. Spent about an hour trying to get in to work due to traffic, meaning I had to work a bit later, then did some extra hours to make a bit more money, had dinner at the in-laws, picked up my other daughter from brownies, read her a bed time story, hugged my wife until she fell asleep, came down and did the washing up.

It's 9:10pm and it's my first time sitting down to do nothing! Uff what a day.

Still I pre-ordered the Greater Good and Commander Farsight, because I hope to get a game in where I play some silly T'au army where I rush forward to unload loads of plasma shotgun death because playing a silly version of T'au greatly appeals!

It gets better... I have teenagers at home and the best part is sharing your hobbies with them when they're old enough to appreciate that kind of stuff.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    @Asher I love seeing the recap of your stuff, and it's frankly incredibly the volume of models you've painted to the standard you have when it's still predominantly just your hobby, but that post is becoming a real pain for loading the page. Spoiler tags would go a long way next time anyone wants to drop 20+ images in a post. <3

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    J wrote: »
    I've bought so many underworlds bands for those exact reasons. At the price they come in at a good few "character" style minis of high quality in interesting poses never feels like I got ripped off.

Your ghouls are amazing!
    Thanks J! Means a lot. I had a lot of fun making the Ghouls extra gross.
    Draeven wrote: »
    I pretty much have to talk my self out of buying those warbands for the simple reason I am a buy and paint but never get around to playing type person. Lovely work as always man.
    But they're such good valuuuuue. They're even push fit!
    Khraul wrote: »
    Man, 169 models painted!!

I don't think I painted a fifth of that last year. Well done Asher. And they all look great!

Thanks Khraul! I was pretty suprised myself. I figured I'd done ... half or 1/3rd as many TBH.
    @Asher I love seeing the recap of your stuff, and it's frankly incredibly the volume of models you've painted to the standard you have when it's still predominantly just your hobby, but that post is becoming a real pain for loading the page. Spoiler tags would go a long way next time anyone wants to drop 20+ images in a post. <3

Thanks mate! And oops! Forgot about Spoiler tags. I've thrown some up to have mercy on everyones mobile data/loading experience.

I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    Can I put my wash through the airbrush and have it work? Doing a wash on this terrain with the brush feels like it is taking forever.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    it's likely too thin and will spiderweb

you can try turning it down to like 15-10 psi and experiment?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Can I put my wash through the airbrush and have it work? Doing a wash on this terrain with the brush feels like it is taking forever.
    you can, but it behaves differently.
    at best it works like a tint. you do not get the pooling effect that is the main reason for using a wash in the first place.

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609

Yes, you can put a wash through an airbrush, however instead of being a wash, you're applying an even, transparent color over the model. I like to use that for when I want to tint a paint job a specific color evenly.

edited February 2020
    I ended up just doing a wash like normal.

Does warm water cause acrylic paint to thicken up faster? The water I was using to thin with in the airbrush was warm but I didn't really think about whether it would impact it or not. Usually I just use cold water but I was cleaning out a paint pot so the water was hot.

The airbrush clogged basically right away.

Just ran it with cold water like usual. No issues at all.

Also, the previous airbrush is basically wrecked. The trigger wont pop back up so it just continuously blows air.

Stragint on

• HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Working on some Sisters, just need ideas for the bases...

here's an absurdly big close up that makes it look awful too if anyone wants-
    9c2dc86p8dpf.jpg

PSN- AHermano
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    “Awful”

04xkcuvaav19.png
    I'm starting to get impatient with the terrain. I thin the paint out quite a lot for the airbrush and I'm pretty certain I'm not clogging detail but I feel like I'm going too heavy now. I really need to relax with this.

I think I'm gonna need to do a whole bunch of touch ups as well with the base color. I skipped the first color I've been using because it is so close in shade to the base but I also went lower with the next color than I did before so I feel like it might throw off these pieces with the test piece though I guess I could just modify the test piece instead.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    For bases I feel like snow and a winter theme would go well.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    Working on some Sisters, just need ideas for the bases...

here's an absurdly big close up that makes it look awful too if anyone wants-
    9c2dc86p8dpf.jpg

If by "awful" you really mean "full of awe".

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Awe-full.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    For bases I feel like snow and a winter theme would go well.

Huh, I've not really done snow bases before, that could be fun

PSN- AHermano
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I've been using various home life things as an excuse to not paint lately, so to try and get back in the groove I went for some speed painting of some Dungeon Saga heroes (and a monster) this evening as I know I'll be playing that next week.

Ignore the details, slop on some Contrast paint and go, go, go.

5GgMjMbl.jpg

No closeups as that's very much against the point!

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif