As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm currently rocking Giratina (Altered, apparently, and why the hell do they spell if "forme"?), Swampert, and Gengar. Currently 3 for 3, but I certainly wouldn't call it an unstoppable lineup, especially since one seemed to be a bit of a 'freebie' (one of their pokemon had a power of around 230).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • CruorCruor Registered User regular
    Switching my team around to deal with Ghosts, thinking of running Venusaur/Honchkrow/Rampardos. I would love to use Aggron instead of Honchkrow as an anti-Giratina measure but every Aggron I make ends up with just over 2500 CP. Currently looking for more Aron.

There are evolution calculators out there, if you have a bit of time to go hunting, as they can confirm what the expected power of an evolution should end up at.

I can't vouch for their accuracy, but at least it'd be a starting point. Since this stuff seems to be a set bit of math behind the scenes, I'd hope there wouldn't be much variance or wiggle room present.

Maybe you're already aware of this, but I thought I'd share the thought openly in case it saved someone else unnecessary time/frustration/wasted candy.

I'm aware of them but I'm lazy and have tons of Aron candy so I was willing to just wing it. I'll definitely check the next one though, want to make sure I have enough candy left over for a second charged attack and all.

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Cruor wrote: »
    Switching my team around to deal with Ghosts, thinking of running Venusaur/Honchkrow/Rampardos. I would love to use Aggron instead of Honchkrow as an anti-Giratina measure but every Aggron I make ends up with just over 2500 CP. Currently looking for more Aron.

You can use a calculator like CalcyIV to know the CP before you evolve.

But also, Aggron loses to Giratina-A in most (all?) scenarios. Actually, I think Honchkrow does, too.
    The best cheap(ish) Gira-A counters are Snorlax, Togekiss and to a lesser extent Swampert.

Venusaur is really good, imo, it has many relevant good matchups. Rampardos otoh is p bad.
    If you have any cday mon at the right levels, then Charizard, Typhlosion and Blaziken are worth a look.
    Machamp can also be good and maybe you already have one powered up. It does need different moves than for PvE, though and the Charge TM lottery is very bad here (same for Snorlax)

Grobian on
    edited February 2020
    Rampardos has actually been very very good for me, especially against people using fire types like Charizard. Weird off-meta picks can sometimes pay off I've found.

I have a Machamp but he's over 2500, I need more candy to make another. Snorlax I can probably do easily enough and have a ton of Charged TMs. I do need more Snorlax Candy to grab a second move for him, but he's from Team Rocket so he has Return, which apparently is as good as Body Slam so that's already taken care of.

Cruor on
    Having blown through like 100k stardust and only having about 30k remaining, I'm hoping I can mostly rely on what I've already got set up. I have plenty of pokemon with massive candy piles, but even if they're Lucky it can rapidly get expensive building them up. Especially since I spent 50k getting my Aololan(sp?) Marowak a second charged attack and buffed to the line for the previous group.

I know we'll never get everything to max, but it'd be nice if, I dunno, you got a fraction of the dust invested in a pokemon back when you candied or traded it. I'm sure I spent tens or hundreds of thousands on questionable choices back in the day.

Rampardos has actually been very very good for me, especially against people using fire types like Charizard. Weird off-meta picks can sometimes pay off I've found.

I have a Machamp but he's over 2500, I need more candy to make another. Snorlax I can probably do easily enough and have a ton of Charged TMs. I do need more Snorlax Candy to grab a second move for him, but he's from Team Rocket so he has Return, which apparently is as good as Body Slam so that's already taken care of.

Return and Body Slam have different functions, imo. Return even has better Damage per Energy but it takes way longer to charge. Body Slam (often nicknamed "Body Spam") allows you to pressure shields and also fake out opponents by charging to let's say Earthquake or Outrage and then using either that or Body Slam and forcing your opponent to choose if they shield or not.

edited February 2020
    Grobian wrote: »

Return and Body Slam have different functions, imo. Return even has better Damage per Energy but it takes way longer to charge. Body Slam (often nicknamed "Body Spam") allows you to pressure shields and also fake out opponents by charging to let's say Earthquake or Outrage and then using either that or Body Slam and forcing your opponent to choose if they shield or not.

Ah gotcha. I've been using Venusaur to fake people out pretty effectively - if the opponent is weak to grass, start off by using Sludge Bomb first. They'll burn a shield, and then use Solar Beam (Venusaur community day rerun when?) the second time. Usually they'll let it go through thinking it's Sludge Bomb again and whoops they're dead.

So, new team is Venusaur/Charizard (dragon claw/overheat)/Honchkrow(dark pulse/sky attack). Once I get the candy to teach Snorlax a second attack I'll likely go for Outrage for the pure dragon killing power of it and he'll replace Honchkrow.

Cruor on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Hah, I love faking people out with frenzy plant/sludge bomb Venusaur. Used frenzy plant on a Togekiss, they burned a shield, they apparently thought "oh, I can survive this chump easily without shields," and then HAHA NOPE SLUDGE BOMB.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I got a high cp and IV one, but Im sad that shiney Rhyhorn got progressively less cool as it evolved. It started so awesome looking.

I got four shinies, all kinda low CP/IV. I had a couple high IV/CP Rhyhorns saved up, so I have a great battle Rhyperior and a vanity shiny Rhyperior. Good enough for me!

I think I like shiny Rhyperior more than the regular. Something about the yellow just does it for me in a way the ruddy orange doesn't.

Managed to get a high IV shiny through the catch three rhyhorn, get a rhyhorn research. I never get shinies from research!

• RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    I was flying for most of this event. Got a few decent ones but no shiny.

PSN: jfrofl
  • mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Got a 100% but not shiny. Still not bad though, came out with some high CP shinies even if not high IV, so good trade material.

• WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I don't like the shiny Rhyperior, so I'm keeping my shinies basic. I did have a strong Rhyhorn waiting on the sidelines to get evolved, so at least I got a Rock Wrecker for raids.

Also, is anyone else missing fast TMs? I don't see any more of those.

I have gotten a ton of Charged TMs from PvP and such lately. Fast TMs have been lacking for quite some time sadly.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I had a ton of good Rhydons saved up so getting them w/ smack down and rock wrecker is pretty good. Only clicked on three rhyhorns from my house over the course of the event and the last was shiny, so I'll take it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    So I went and did it, I bought the full Safari Zone Experience for Philly and I'm...kinda excited? The sense of Exploration that I had while playing Ingress has sort of been lost in Go! lately, so I'm looking forward to having to physically drive to a different location to play the game. If I'm annoyed at anything, it's that they're only having the "P" Unown spawn which just seems like they could have at least had PHI. Oh well, still lookin forward to walkin around a city full of nerds!

• redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I haven't played this in...years I would say. The Philly event kind of has my interest, even as just something to do since we live in Philly.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Yeah, I'm going to attend the one in St. Louis. From what I've heard Niantic really learned from the first debacle in Chicago and has created a fun experience that encourages people to keep moving through the park to hit different biomes.

• mightyjongyomightyjongyo Sour Crrm East Bay, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I guess Abra is gonna be the next community day on March 15th. Gonna be a lazy community day for me :).

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Wow.
    Rank 4 and PvP is no longer fun.
    Just community day and legacy pokes (and legendaries) everywhere that outmatch my normal variants.

I guess I'm pressing concede on every free master battle.

discrider on
    I'm at rank 7 and it's decently ok there. Was on a pretty good winning streak with Machamp/Rhyperior/Dragonite. Still need stardust to grab a second move for Machamp but he's pulling his weight fine enough, despite being a bit lower in CP than everyone else.

edited February 2020
    Just frustrating when my perfect IV LVL 40 Machamp loses to some other Machamp, because they're charging moves faster than me somehow.
    And that somehow is a legacy fast move.

Or Giratinas. Or Meteor Smash Metagross.
    Or or.

Perhaps I just need some way of setting a lower CP team ahead of all my top CP pokes

discrider on
    edited February 2020
    Machamp doesn't have a fast move better than Counter. Karate Chop (which is legacy) still only generates the same energy as Counter.

The difference might be that you use Dynamic Punch, which is preferred for PvE, while they use Cross Chop which is better for PvP, because it charges faster. In a 2 shield scenario they can nail you with the 3rd charge move before you can, so they win.
    With 1 shield each you can win if you throw Rock Slide first and they shield it. Then you can dynamic punch second and live with 1 hp.

But in general, Master League is p bad, imo. It is way more expensive than the other leagues and the meta feels narrower. I haven't played as much, though.

Grobian on
    Yeah, I can totally understand the frustration at Master -- the only thing that wrecks my Giratinia/Dialga/Meteor Mash Metagross team is, well, another rare/expensive team built to counter them.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    I’m playing this again and I need fwends!

4819 4186 2754

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    What I should do with the shiny Gloom I've got kicking around? Vile or Bellosom?

:so_raven:
  • WeX MajorsWeX Majors 8th Floor, MegashipRegistered User regular
    IMO, Shiny variants have always been mostly mixed for me, as they never seem to want to commit to a different palette altogether.That said, Bellosom seems to be at least a decent color scheme.

I've kept my shiny oddish an oddish at this point.

Fwiw I think Bellosom is better in Great League, but actually both are usable (they eat swampert, azumarill and lanturn) as alternatives to the grass starters. They work a bit different because they have a high power fast move that charges slowly.

:/
    Just went 5 for 5 with lvl 40 Mewtwo, perfect Machamp (w.o the charge move), perfect Alolan Golem.
    Once the Giratinas and Dialgas moved out, things got easier here at level 5

Heads up: the upcoming Community Day with Abra will have a paid ticket, according to data mining. 99 cents gets you access to 13,000 Stardust, a Poffin, a Rocket Radar 'and more."

...eh, that's not a bad deal, especially if you're grinding for dust.

Welp, Niantic's cancelled the upcoming Go Fest in St. Louis over the coronavirus. Guess this was inevitable. The good news is that those with tickets can go to the fest whenever it's rescheduled, plus during the regular event time, ticketholders (and only ticketholders) can get the Fest spawns and special research wherever they are.

In other news that is being largely overlooked, legendary raid Pokemon are being added to battle league rewards (presumably in greater chances than the ones already in). So, yay for more digital monsters, boo for society having to batten down the hatches for a pandemic.

• KandenKanden Registered User regular
    There's a coronavirus sale on, for 1 coin you can get 30 incenses and they doubled the time on them.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    They canceled community day for this weekend.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    but at least we get 1/2 hatch distance?

• ThePantsAssociationThePantsAssociation A million could-be years on a thousand may-be worldsRegistered User regular
    Incense also lasts an hour now and attracts more Pokemon. It's the same for the Meltan box. You can catch a huge amount of them.

If you glossed over the paid event stuff for Genesect, it's geared to be soloable AND it'll grant you the regional Durant.