As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Ark EvensongArk Evensong The NetherlandsRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Silver Snow and Verdant Wind share a lot of maps/missions/story beats. Probably still different enough to play both, but for variety's sake you'll want to put some space between 'em.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Hmm. Silver Snow and Verdant Wind share a lot of maps/missions/story beats. Probably still different enough to play both, but for variety's sake you'll want to put some space between 'em.

Yeah, that's fair.

Problem is, in my personal opinion, the game's overall story works best with Blue Lions first and Black Eagles/Crimson Flower last. So I just kinda fitted those two in the middle even though they'd get repetitive if you played them back to back.

I could see an argument for starting with Black Eagles/Silver Snow, then Blue Lions, then Golden Deer, and then ending with Black Eagles/Crimson Flower.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I am a bit in on Crimson Flower and don’t see how they make the other paths work unless straight up different things happen in the other ones.

PSN: Honkalot
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited January 2020

Like something out of Monster Hunter. Bayleth getting ready to dragon pierce the last boss.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Honk wrote: »
    I am a bit in on Crimson Flower and don’t see how they make the other paths work unless straight up different things happen in the other ones.

Edelgard’s methods and tactics are quite a bit different depending on if Byleth is there to believe in her and support her or not.

• HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

Edelgard’s methods and tactics are quite a bit different depending on if Byleth is there to believe in her and support her or not.

That’s would be one thing for sure but I mean more
    not fighting against the church means you’re on the side of the dragon-Illuminati.

PSN: Honkalot

That’s would be one thing for sure but I mean more
    not fighting against the church means you’re on the side of the dragon-Illuminati.

In fairness...
    Claude also plans to upend the status quo of Fódlan. It's just that Edelgard beats him to the punch.

• Captain InertiaCaptain Inertia Registered User regular
    edited January 2020
    It does feel weird to be like “we took this important strategic area, welp back to the Monastery for tea and Alois’s bad jokes, we’ll try to advance again in a month”

Captain Inertia on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Finally beat my first storyline - Crimson Flower.

I liked it, and was surprised by some of it due to a combination of it being my first FE game and still having the mindset that Nintendo shies away from violence and religious controversy. It felt a lot more inline with Xeno-games in its message/world view than I was expecting. That said, it did feel a bit incomplete, specifically...
    With those who slither in the dark. Edelgard's 'uncle' flat out destroys most of Arianrhod off screen with pillars of light and... nothing.

I was hoping for another battle or two to tie up loose ends.

I think I might go Golden Deer for my first New Game+. I hear that it fills in a lot of background information, and Claude is more interesting to me than Dimitri.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    Finally beat my first storyline - Crimson Flower.

I liked it, and was surprised by some of it due to a combination of it being my first FE game and still having the mindset that Nintendo shies away from violence and religious controversy. It felt a lot more inline with Xeno-games in its message/world view than I was expecting. That said, it did feel a bit incomplete, specifically...
    With those who slither in the dark. Edelgard's 'uncle' flat out destroys most of Arianrhod off screen with pillars of light and... nothing.

I was hoping for another battle or two to tie up loose ends.

I think I might go Golden Deer for my first New Game+. I hear that it fills in a lot of background information, and Claude is more interesting to me than Dimitri.

Yea that's why people feel it's incomplete. 2 other routes will handle that on screen.

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

The four new characters in Cindered Shadows each have new classes (new to 3 Houses, but returning classes from past games): War Cleric, Trickster, Valkyrie and Dark Flier. When you clear the first chapter of the side story, you unlock them in the main game as well. They're advanced classes and require a new type of seal. If you make Anna a Trickster, she also gets her Awakening outfit.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
    edited February 2020
    Not a big fan of the War Cleric wearing the wires that support the dress on the outside of the dress again.

Also, men get two new classes and women get all four. I mean, I guess this balances up the classes a little, but I'm still not a fan. Making every class gender-neutral was the one thing Fates really did right.

WotanAnubis on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Still going through Golden Deer in my New Game+. I'm enjoying Claude a lot more than Crimson Flower Edelgard. Haven't gotten to the
    time skip

Yet, but he's not nearly as one note as she was. I get why she had to be 'on' nearly all the time, but it got to the point where it wasn't much fun to experience.

That said, I'm hoping to poach as many Black Eagles for my class as possible. Specifically Petra... She's a one-woman wrecking ball as an Assassin. I managed to snag Lindhardt almost immediately, but I still want some of the others - Dorothea and Caspar especially. I don't need Ferdinand since I managed to poach Sylvain, and Leonie and Lorenz seem to naturally be cavaliers. I might go for Bernadetta because I like her more than Ignatz.

It probably says something about me that I'm unreasonably excited to see there's a location called "Pagan Altar" somewhere in the Abyss. Not sure what, though.

I wonder if War Monk was actually any good this time. It was a neat idea in Awakening, but why would you ever choose to turn your healer into one instead of making them a Sage or Valkyrie?

Maz- wrote: »
    I wonder if War Monk was actually any good this time. It was a neat idea in Awakening, but why would you ever choose to turn your healer into one instead of making them a Sage or Valkyrie?

War Monk does also have a Brawling focus, and the poster boy for this class is Balthus and his solid abs, so maybe the point of the class is that it's more a physical class with some magic healing as backup?

So you probably don't want your main healer as a War Monk, but a more physical unit with a fairly decent list of Faith magic, like Sylvain or Bernadetta might work. I dunno.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea my guess is a fighter who can use faith magic

camo_sig.png
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So War Monk mByleth.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

It probably says something about me that I'm unreasonably excited to see there's a location called "Pagan Altar" somewhere in the Abyss. Not sure what, though.

Still waiting to know about this DLC as someone who hasn't gotten the base game yet. Like, how much of base game do I play before doing this separate side-story stuff, if I want to carry over those characters to main plot stuff, does the side-story DLC spoil anything in the main story, etc.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah that's what I'm womdering.

Haven't played the base game yet(no Switch) but that seems to add a lot of stuff to the base game.

• KupiKupi Registered User regular
    On my first play-through I tried to cheese my way past Raphael's garbage Res by training him in Faith until he could plausibly attempt a Bishop certification. The War Monk might make that kind of gambit more justifiable in the long term.

My favorite musical instrument is the air-raid siren.
    The update is out now! Gonna play a bit of the side story before going to bed.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    The update is out now! Gonna play a bit of the side story before going to bed.

*20 hours later*

Just one more support...

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i kind of wish you could by dlc individually. this is really the only one that sounds appealing to me

camo_sig.png
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Still waiting to know about this DLC as someone who hasn't gotten the base game yet. Like, how much of base game do I play before doing this separate side-story stuff, if I want to carry over those characters to main plot stuff, does the side-story DLC spoil anything in the main story, etc.

I have only completed the very first chapter of the side story. So I cannot say for certain how much of the main plot it is going to spoil.

However, the vague references the characters drop places this story fairly early during Part 1 of the main story.
    Just far enough for Byleth to get their Special Protagonist Sword, but not much further than that.

So I doubt it's going to spoil anything really serious. But, again, only finished the very first map yet.

Man, that first mission is no joke on Hard. Definitely feels like old-school Fire Emblem.

Man, that first mission is no joke on Hard. Definitely feels like old-school Fire Emblem.

I played it on Normal/Casual and I was still sweating on several occasions. There are some pretty intense maps in there.

Although, part of the reason that I was sweating is because, even though I play on Casual, even though Divine Pulse is a thing, I still play Fire Emblem as though it isn't on Casual and doesn't have Divine Pulse like in the old days.

I'm still on the preparations screen, but I can already tell that chapter 3 is gonna be a huge pain.

I'm still on the preparations screen, but I can already tell that chapter 3 is gonna be a huge pain.

And so it was! It actually turned out to be even more difficult than I thought. Had to use some galaxy brain stats to clear it; took me almost three hours. That was the most difficult Fire Emblem mission I played in a long time, probably comparable to the final level in Shadows of Valentia.

Finished Cindered Shadows yesterday. It pretty much stayed really difficult all the way to the end, with only chapter 5 being a bit of a breather.

I've since started my fourth playthrough of the main story (going Silver Snow this time) and it feels like a vacation, comparatively.

• TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    Finished Cindered Shadows yesterday. It pretty much stayed really difficult all the way to the end, with only chapter 5 being a bit of a breather.

I've since started my fourth playthrough of the main story (going Silver Snow this time) and it feels like a vacation, comparatively.

how many chapters/hours was it?

League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    Tcheldor wrote: »

how many chapters/hours was it?

It's got 7 Chapters.

On Normal/Casual, it took me about 6.5 hours. I can easily imagine that on Hard/Classic it's gonna take longer than that.

Hard/Classic took me about 13 hours.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    I let this fall out of my schedule last summer, and I've been meaning to get back into it just in time to let it get forgotten when FFVIIR comes out. Then get forgotten again when Cyberpunk hits.

I hadn't gotten too far (early story spoilers):
    Byleth had gotten her Magic Sword of Plot, but her dad was still alive even if it was totally obvious that was gonna change pretty soon (you hurt me once with Grail, I'm onto your ways FE)
    I figure I'll start a fresh game, but it sounds like I should do the DLC first?

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    So hmm sounds like playing the DLC before I play the main game for the bonuses won't really spoil anything.

Cool.

klemming wrote: »
    I figure I'll start a fresh game, but it sounds like I should do the DLC first?

Yes if you want all the new characters and Abyss features and all that.

But... it should be pointed out that Cindered Shadows maps are more complicated than those in the main game, making the DLC feel like a bit of a bonus challenge for after you've already beat the game at least once. Even though it doesn't actually really spoil anything.

I'll probably just blow through it on easy first for the unlockables then play legit later.

• Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    So I picked up the DLC and starting my game. Gonna go Deer and use the new guys, Lysethia and the teachers as my main characters this time I think.

Question though: How hard is maddening? I didn't find Hard to be overly tough, and now that I will have all the bonuses of New Game + coming in, I fear that I might get bored. Thoughts?

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    I haven't done Maddening on Golden Deer yet, but the other routes weren't too bad for me. Definitely more challenging than Hard Ashen Wolves by a bit. It is never something I felt became insurmountable with thought, planning, and good execution. The only major difference I noticed is it is extremely beneficial to delay the paralogue missions a month or two after you get them to bulk up your forces.

I would suggest trying it to see how it goes if nothing else. You can always lower difficulty if you find it too hard, but you can't raise it up if you find it too easy. I will say the first mock battle is a great lesson in whether or not you can get the right mind set for Madness, or at least it was for me.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Don't ask me why but I got into the mood to go back and try Awakening Lunatic over the weekend. Man, why does this difficulty hate me so much? Still, kind of enjoying it in a sense. I am determined to keep going, at least to unlock the god damn shops and dlc and shit (and fuck it, I'm grinding on the dlc, I don't care if it's cheese or whatever). I am 100% convinced the game will be less ass once I can actually, you know, prepare for these fucking maps. In the mean time, Freddie, have fun stealing all the XPs. I actually had to reset cuz he stole too much - Robin was still level 1 in map 3 which was making it basically impossible. I came close a couple times but things went a bit smoother once I restarted. Man, wish I could have kept that run where the mage in the first level ignored Lissa and just kept letting Robin grind xp on him. That was the fucking dream. Stupid deaths...

In any case, map 4 seems doable. My opening is solid - put Freddie in range, have Chrom recruit Kellum, pair up, get the heck out of dodge and trade the javelin to Freddie. That works amazingly well. Then the next turn things fall apart depending on how well I can handle the rest of the guys. And if I get them taken care of, the stupid guys from the right dick me over instead :/ *sigh* I'll figure something out. Would be real nice if the right side didn't pull tho......

Edit: Some cursory browsing seems to recommend cheesing the water on the first map to make Robin OP. Meh, I hope I don't have to restart and do that, but I really think I can get through this without it. She's level 5, that's pretty ok.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
This discussion has been closed.