As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hiberno-Britannic Politics] Stay Alert Home Alert Stay Household

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    It's not like kicking out most of the Tories with a brain in their heads over Brexit left the benches full of talent to draw on but Johnson appears to be lining up a cabinet of toadies and lickspittles like no other I can remember.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Julian Smith has been sacked as NI secretary. This came as a surprise to many as he'd been seen as doing a good job, certainly better than most of his recent predecessors.

This has NOT gone down well on this side of the Irish Sea. At all. Julian was one of the rare NI secretaries who actually knew what the fuck he was doing, and he was instrumental in negotiating a return to power sharing. Johnson could not send a clearer message that he doesn’t know anything about the region and can’t be arsed learning.

Yeah well he didn't pucker up sweetly enough for Johnson so he's gone. As ever with weak men they can't stand to have strong and capable ones that might disagree around them.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Raab, Patel and Gove staying in place. Of course.

• TryCatcherTryCatcher Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    It's not like kicking out most of the Tories with a brain in their heads over Brexit left the benches full of talent to draw on but Johnson appears to be lining up a cabinet of toadies and lickspittles like no other I can remember.

From what I've read, Johnson appears to have dedicated his entire adult life to get good at attracting toadies and lickspittles. So there's that.

• MayabirdMayabird Pecking at the keyboardRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Damnit, why does the world have to slip-n-slide into full-on fascism while the US and UK have Boris and Trump at the wheel? Russia at least got Putin, who seems ruthlessly competent, and China got Xi who at least pretends to care about his country.

Because Putin has had a hand in it, directly through funding and indirectly through brainwashing people on social media.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    Perdurabo wrote: »
    It's still pretty weird when I see Gove introduced as the Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. It's like out of my CK2 playthrough, but with more backstabbing.

Framing things in CK2 terms, do you think Boris would be more likely to bang the rose bush, centaur, or all the above?

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Outgoing Tánaiste (Deputy PM) Simon Coveney replying to Julian Smith’s tweet announcing his departure.

(You) have been such an effective SOS for NI at a time of real challenge & risk. Without your leadership I don’t believe NI would have a Govt today. Thank you @JulianSmithUK for your trust, friendship and courage; UK & #Ireland can look to future with more confidence because of it.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Javid resigning is absolutely hysterical

gimme more

obF2Wuw.png

gimme more

Resigning just four weeks before the budget, no less. The guy who loved to mention he was the son of a bus driver gets thrown under one.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

gimme more

Resigning just four weeks before the budget, no less. The guy who loved to mention he was the son of a bus driver gets thrown under one.

my impression is javid 1) was told he needed to fire his advisers and said sod off 2) has a budget due in a month and knows its fucked 3) having had hs2 shoved on him has realised you cannot be a chancellor if spending decisions are just being dumped on you from on high

sunak is the likely replacement afaik and he is an oleaginous vacuity with a soaring talent for mediocrity and repeating the party line so... perfect to be a pr chancellor who makes no decisions

obF2Wuw.png
  • SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    Cummings also had it in for Javid from the get go.

Safe to assume most decisions made by Johnson have had input from Cummings.

BBC’s political editor

Understand there will be a new ‘joint’ team of advisers for Number 10 and 11 - in other words Number 10 trying to take control big time

So basically Cummings is running the PM’s office and the Chancellorship. Still! Thank goodness the UK is free of the EU and no longer getting pushed around by unelected bureaucrats, yeah?

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Damnit, why does the world have to slip-n-slide into full-on fascism while the US and UK have Boris and Trump at the wheel? Russia at least got Putin, who seems ruthlessly competent, and China got Xi who at least pretends to care about his country.

I don't think those are all independent events.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited February 2020
    Ah the new Chancellor is the guy who said the other week that we don't need a trade deal with the EU.

Fucking hell...

Re Sajid:

SharpyVII on
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    From the BBC:
    A source closed to the now-former chancellor Sajid Javid has been telling the Press Association that "no self-respecting minister" could accept the conditions being imposed on him by No 10 to keep his job.

The source says Mr Javid was told by the PM "he had to fire all his special advisers and replace them with No 10 special advisers to make it one team".

They added: "The chancellor said no self-respecting minister would accept those terms."
    It's easy enough to find ministers without self-respect, so that's not a problem.

klemming on
    Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
    All four great offices of state are now occupied by absolute pieces of shit or ambitious empty suits willing to do what the pieces of shit tell them. Hooray.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020

gimme more

my impression is javid 1) was told he needed to fire his advisers and said sod off 2) has a budget due in a month and knows its fucked 3) having had hs2 shoved on him has realised you cannot be a chancellor if spending decisions are just being dumped on you from on high

sunak is the likely replacement afaik and he is an oleaginous vacuity with a soaring talent for mediocrity and repeating the party line so... perfect to be a pr chancellor who makes no decisions

This burn...*chefs kiss*

It's sad that both our governments have devolved to the point that we can take solace only in insulting them in ways they couldn't comprehend.

BlackDragon480 on
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    a very interesting point i did not realise: a consequence of the paperwork burden on non-eu imports is that broadly our trade with the eu consists of a lot of mixed loads on lorries - ie lots of different goods in a single container, while our imports from elsewhere tend to be a single good ( only one commodity code, only one set of paperwork ). so it is not the case that a lot of our existing eu trade is a move to "the same thing we do for elsewhere", it is "restructure your entire import process in order to make it only just as much of a ballache as importing from elsewhere or pay a freight consolidator for bonus overhead"

Jesus christ that sounds like a fucking disaster for a ton of businesses.

New AG is Suella Braverman, Brexiter and former junior barrister. The lawyers I follow on Twitter are currently weeping.

edited February 2020
    shryke wrote: »
    a very interesting point i did not realise: a consequence of the paperwork burden on non-eu imports is that broadly our trade with the eu consists of a lot of mixed loads on lorries - ie lots of different goods in a single container, while our imports from elsewhere tend to be a single good ( only one commodity code, only one set of paperwork ). so it is not the case that a lot of our existing eu trade is a move to "the same thing we do for elsewhere", it is "restructure your entire import process in order to make it only just as much of a ballache as importing from elsewhere or pay a freight consolidator for bonus overhead"

it gets even worse if you consider that some goods that are viewed as a nightmare to ship internationally eg things like boxes of belgian chocolates have been getting in via the eu. if u take a bunch of mixed chocolates they might contain some liquers, some containing fruit etc and each of those has an individual commodity code and separate set of forms that must be filled out. if there is an error then it needs to be fixed on the spot - what is the chance ur freight driver knows the exact cacao composition of each individual chocolate, or origin of the fruit? etc. so it is not even the case that u can straightforwardly just divide ur goods up, because some goods are inherently mixed!

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png

it gets even worse if you consider that some goods that are viewed as a nightmare to ship internationally eg things like boxes of belgian chocolates have been getting in via the eu. if u take a bunch of mixed chocolates they might contain some liquers, some containing fruit etc and each of those has an individual commodity code and separate set of forms that must be filled out. if there is an error then it needs to be fixed on the spot - what is the chance ur freight driver knows the exact cacao composition of each individual chocolate, or origin of the fruit? etc. so it is not even the case that u can straightforwardly just divide ur goods up, because some goods are inherently mixed!

I'll gladly take any alcoholic chocolates from Belgium, Switzerland, or Austria off their hands for a nominal fee.

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Yet another perfect subtitle for brexit.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited February 2020

This is why most trade agreements anymore focus on 'non-tarrif barriers to trade' since on the whole tariffs aren't really that burdensome on anything anymore. Paperwork, though?

Also subsidies, but that's more disagreements over appropriate policy than just making logistics a pain in the ass.

moniker on
    also when they talk of an "australia-style" deal; if we left on those terms we would actually be trading with the eu on worse terms than australia.

why?

because australia has, for historical reasons (i suspect because when we joined some % of our arrangement was commuted but i would have to check the exact details), quite substantial quotas with the eu (certainly on eg sheep and goat meat), allowing them to get a lot of stuff in without being subject to normal tariffs. we, on the other hand, would not have such an arrangement...

obF2Wuw.png
    edited February 2020
    Re the new AG

Ian is the editor of politcshome.com

This is the beginning of the government's attempts to control the judiciary. I.e replace judges they don't like and so on.

We've gone full Trump.

SharpyVII on
    braverman is one of those people who betrays a distressing level of Online when u read her older interviews, and not the good kind of online either

obF2Wuw.png
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Re the new AG

This is the beginning of the government's attempts to control the judiciary. I.e replace judges they don't like and so on.

We've gone full Trump.

Over/under on the Boris and Co. looking to reinstitute a Charles I-esque version of Star Chamber to judicially bugger their adversaries?

~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Gotta admit, "the political has been captured by the legal" is a pretty snappy way of saying "politicians have to conform to the law".

Framing that as a bad state of affairs is a whole different issue.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    SharpyVII wrote: »
    Re the new AG

Ian is the editor of politcshome.com

We've gone full Trump.

Going full on Machtergreifung I see. Why are the nations that beat Hitler suddenly trying to emulate him?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    braverman is one of those people who betrays a distressing level of Online when u read her older interviews, and not the good kind of online either

One of the leftist podcasts I listen to recently had a plea to journalists to start asking some of the newly elected Tory first-time MPs about QAnon, because some of them are mental in that very particular way and it would be interesting to see this get national media attention

• Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Why are the nations that beat Hitler suddenly trying to emulate him?

because all the people who actually beat him are dead, and we've forgotten.

Commander Zoom on
  • altidaltid Registered User regular
    So a parade of bootlickers and yes men to make up the cabinet. When you think the tories can't possibly get even more incompetent they do find ways of surprising you. While we're at it, have they officially made Cummings PM in this reshuffle, or left Johnson as his sockpuppet in the role?

I've been saying for the last few years that it is absolutely not coincidental that all this is happening just as the generation that fought WWII is dying off.

• SchadenfreudeSchadenfreude Mean Mister Mustard Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Ha. So Britain's new Secretary of State for International Development is a woman called Anne-Marie Trevelyan - typical Brexit nut. Part of her brief would include famine relief

Certainly any of the Irish here may recognise the name Trevelyan in the context of a famine and Boris Johnson is both an asshole and reader of history that suits him so I'm somewhat cynical that it's just a coincidence. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Charles_Trevelyan,_1st_Baronet

Schadenfreude on
    Contemplate this on the Tree of Woe
    Some of you may recall that, last week, Labour MP Tracy Brabin's dress slipped off her shoulder at the dispatch box, which she was leaning on due to a broken ankle, leading to much huffing and puffing and criticism from the usual suspects, and leading her to memorably defend herself as not a “slag, hungover, a tart, about to breastfeed, a slapper, drunk, just been banged over a wheelie bin”.

Well, the dress - which originally cost £35 - has been auctioned for the benefit of Girlguiding UK. Brabin had listed it as a way of standing up for women in the workplace, and hoped to make £500 for the Guides.

In fact the dress sold for a whopping £20,200. I think she made her point. :+1:

• HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    Ha. So Britain's new Secretary of State for International Development is a woman called Anne-Marie Trevelyan - typical Brexit nut. Part of her brief would include famine relief

Certainly any of the Irish here may recognise the name Trevelyan in the context of a famine and Boris Johnson is both an asshole and reader of history that suits him so I'm somewhat cynical that it's just a coincidence. :P

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Charles_Trevelyan,_1st_Baronet

Well, I'd say that's a bad look, but I guess that depends on your perspective.

*Urge to sing 'fields of athenry' intensifies*

sig.gif
    BBC News are reporting that Honda's factory in Swindon will close in July 2021. This closure will cost 3,500 jobs.

• jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

I've been saying for the last few years that it is absolutely not coincidental that all this is happening just as the generation that fought WWII is dying off.

We can only hope that Call of Duty will have been enough to save our generation.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    BBC News are reporting that Honda's factory in Swindon will close in July 2021. This closure will cost 3,500 jobs.

I'm seeing people on Reddit say "Well the EU-Japan trade deal means this was going to happen anyway".

They know we're leaving the EU right?

This discussion has been closed.