As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wolcen] Out of EA Today (2/13)! Servers online, but shakey.

KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas.Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
edited February 2020 in Games and Technology
7fcu0cryb56c.png
Wolcen - Lords of Mayhem leaves Early Access today on Steam, and you can also purchase through the Humble Store. It's an action RPG similar to Diablo, Path of Exile, or Torchlight built in the CryTech engine. So like other games built in Cry, it looks beautiful. Gamerant -
While the first impression of Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem may not stand out, the full trailer gives a much broader look at what ARPG fans can expect from the game. For example, Wolcen has a huge, mature storyline with big cinematic videos spread throughout. It also features unique cinematic sequences like the player going up against a shield wall of enemies. Wolcen's combat also should start looking unique and inspired, as it features a much more deliberate and tactical style of action compared to how spammy Diablo 3 and Path of Exile can be.

Unlike either ARPG, Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem does not feature class limitations. Rather, there are 14 different weapon stances with each weapon having its own combat style. These weapons each interact with the player's energy resources, a yin-yang balance between Rage and Willpower. When one goes up, the other goes down, and vice versa. This standard resource system allows for an incredibly diverse range of customization, and that's not even bringing up the game's deep armor system.

Steam's Recent Reviews as of this morning before the full launch are around ~3000 sitting at 92% (Very positive).

I've been seeing some hype in the Steam and D3 threads so here's a thread. It looks good so, I bit on the EA price before it went up to $45. I usually make a Bow class since Amazon in D2, so I'll probably follow suit here too.

Edit - https://wolcen-universe.com - Build Maker

KoopahTroopah on

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    noice, i played the alpha a fair bit and experimented, some interesting systems but definitely a few kinks to work out and some very unintuitive mechanics for people not already experienced with eg path of exile

on the other hand it has had far more systems level testing than many other release arpgs so should be very robust for experimentation

obF2Wuw.png
  • Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Im so excited for this game. Wonder how it will withstand the onslaught though for the online stuff. In the beta before release they had just a small portion of the game and the choices were not as complex as other arpgs they all seemed to have immediate effect with the choice and melee was just fun.

If they can keep melee fun like it was in that limited beta throughout 90 levels they are far superior to pretty much every other ARPG not done by them since forever heh.

Jubal77 on
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Anyone know if you can do the campaign as online coop? If so I might have to grab this for my son and I to play this weekend.

Waiting here for Rykker's next video so I can see some more of this before making the purchase decision.

edit: Oh looks like they planned a price increase when leaving early access so I might just go and buy it now to get the $30 price.

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    It wasnt available in the beta I played but the button was there to change your campaign to online.

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    I'll be playing the shit out of this today with some friends. 3 of us streaming it for up to 24h. Woo.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    I picked this up and dabbled a little last night. Seems pretty fun, has some complexity to it. Hoping the endgame is fulfilling. Ill be starting a character this afternoon

Al_wat on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So did I read it correctly that this game will be out on GoG as well? Or am I confusing it with another game and it is only on Origins/Steam?

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited February 2020
    They strongly suggest deleting the EA install and doing a fresh install when it releases, if anyone else is waiting.

CorriganX on
    n1woEHJ.png
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Oh good, I installed yesterday to prep the update.

Woops.

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    This game looks like serious competition for Blizzard. With D4 years off, I wonder if the Arpg crown could be stolen.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Planning to start tonight, maybe offline for now since apparently that’s an option.

Not even decided which weapon I’ll start with, but it sounds designed around experimenting as you go. Should be fun.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
    I played a staff wielding magic user when I played for about 90 minutes last night. It seemed pretty fun, I'm thinking I might start as a ranged bow (maybe gun?) character today though.

edited February 2020
    One thing that really surprised me was that I found the story to be really fun. At the end of Act1 I was ready to see where the story goes from there. That cant really be said, for me, with the last several big name arpgs of this type. I thought the end of Act 1 was really epic.

Edit: I played a 2h melee build. Wearing heavy type armor set with block and life leech passives as my main go to point with the limited points. Jumping into packs and aoe defense breaking them with my shout and proceeding to charge hammer them in the face was just so much fun.

Jubal77 on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    CorriganX wrote: »
    I'll be playing the shit out of this today with some friends. 3 of us streaming it for up to 24h. Woo.
    For whenever he goes live:

Slow day, so it gives me something to watch at work while I wait to go home :+1:

Jubal77 wrote: »
    One thing that really surprised me was that I found the story to be really fun. At the end of Act1 I was ready to see where the story goes from there. That cant really be said, for me, with the last several big name arpgs of this type. I thought the end of Act 1 was really epic.

Most if not all ARPGS for me since D3 vanilla are played with friends, spam clicking through quest lines and stories just to progress my character. I will probably slow-run this one just because of the detail and how it looks.

That skill tree where you can rotate the rings seems really cool, a good twist on the PoE style tree. Seems more manageable than PoE's while still having complexity. I need to sit down and really look through it to get a better understanding. It does have a mix of offensive, defensive and utility nodes. Hard to say at this point what the right balance between these would be.

Its out now, restart steam to install.

n1woEHJ.png
    nice!

Is there a distinction between single player and multiplayer characters? Or can you just play a character in whatever mode you feel like at the time?

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Is there a grenadier option?

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Al_wat wrote: »
    That skill tree where you can rotate the rings seems really cool, a good twist on the PoE style tree. Seems more manageable than PoE's while still having complexity. I need to sit down and really look through it to get a better understanding. It does have a mix of offensive, defensive and utility nodes. Hard to say at this point what the right balance between these would be.

if it is still as it was in the gameplay beta the big thing to note is that there are very large - eg 25% hp / shield - nodes that are very close and easily available. this means that 2 defensive points early can give u a literal 50% increase in effective hp- very much worthwhile. this means that small investments in all areas of ur character give u enormous returns especially early

there are also some nodes that are just big chonky global damage nodes that are quite easy to get etc. but its reasonably flexible to respec and move things around so

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    23GB install with a 16GB download is the expected install for the release version?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
    as another note this game (at least last time i played) terrible at telling you what bonuses act as full multipliers (like "MORE" effects in poe) versus additive multipliers (like "INCREASED" effects in poe)

afaicr they tended to fall on the increased side, so a lot of "reduced damage" nodes are not as bad as they look but the marginal returns for stacking damage nodes are also very strongly diminishing... meaning again, stacking different kinds of damage increases (attack/cast speed, crit damage / chance, debuffs, etc) is usually the way to go

obF2Wuw.png
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Damn, I thought I would buy the game for the same 30 dollars after early access. Slightly disappointed I didn't hear about the game being released today a few months ago.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    steam auth servers shit the bed, dont disconnect back to main menu if you can help it.

n1woEHJ.png
    Just saw some skills in a steam community post; there’s an aura that automatically corpse-explodes nearby enemies or minions as they die.

Uhh.. yes. I’m gonna need that ASAP.

nice!

Is there a distinction between single player and multiplayer characters? Or can you just play a character in whatever mode you feel like at the time?

Offline characters can not be brought online. It works like D2, so offline characters are stored on your hard drive and can be tampered with.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Oh. New action RPG

Hello there!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2020
    Picked this up the other day to get an ARPG fix since I saw release was coming, seems neat enough. To be honest, I feel like it takes some of the better ideas from PoE and D3 while still having its own which is totally fine with me. I'm not a big fan of the overly large passive tree but being able to spin it makes it slightly more unique. Combat feels good, which is the most important part!

Anyway, only got a few minutes in of launch before work this morning but I'll definitely be playing some more this weekend. As someone that has bounced off of PoE every time I've tried it, having another game that is somewhat similar but feels more approachable is fantastic.

Kyanilis on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2020
    So far i'm a big fan of how things actually take some killing instead of you just running around as rthe screen explodes around you killing everything a la d3 and poe, which i always found rather boring.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Is there a way to make guilds? We should set up a guild like we have in the other games.

Yes, I see all you people from the PoE and Diablo threads cautiously peeking in!

We really are starved for good action RPGs, aren't we

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah Im kinda ready for a slower paced diablo clone

Played for about 10 minutes between meetings. Seems pretty decent, should have some more time tonight to play so I'll get into it more heavily.

Is there a way to make guilds? We should set up a guild like we have in the other games.

Yes, I see all you people from the PoE and Diablo threads cautiously peeking in!

We really are starved for good action RPGs, aren't we

I will be making a PA guild if there are guilds and teams available @Spawnbroker

• The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    This looks amusing, stuck it on my wishlist to moulder until i have that hting known as "Money"

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I want to play this! Now to find the time.

• DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    My greatsword is really big, but I like how massive the kill-arc is lol

So far i'm a big fan of how things actually take some killing instead of you just running around as rthe screen explodes around you killing everything a la d3 and poe, which i always found rather boring.

I’m wondering if I’ll like the bigger, slower weapons for exactly this reason. Even if not, slower pace in general sounds good.

In a video the other day, someone said something like “I bet you can think of one key moment in all your of your hours of D3 that stands above the rest”, and for me it was a drawn out fight in Act 2 Nightmare(vanilla!) between my dh and elite wasps. These days, the wasps just get vaporized.

so.... is it possible to get through this steam authentication eventually or should I just give up for now

edited February 2020
    so.... is it possible to get through this steam authentication eventually or should I just give up for now

Either play offline, or wait on their Twitter for news. Sad to say.

https://twitter.com/wolcengame

KoopahTroopah on
    Thats shitty. I guess I should have anticipated this. At least there is an offline mode